Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Edmonton wants to pay a 5-6th to get his traditional rights and sign that 7 year deal early, fine.
If they’re looking for a new precedent to be set by us completing an NBA style Sign & Trade then Edmonton needs to pay up. Teams have guys walk for free every year, that’s kinda how ufa works.
Maybe management values their relationships with Edmonton’s divisional and conference rivals (all 15! Of them) vs appeasing Ken Holland because well that’s the nice guy thing to do.

I can get behind this argument for sure. It makes sense unlike other BS by other folks

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He's been quite good in trades. I wish he applied the same firmness to his contract negotiations.
You mean the marner contract right? That’s literally the only bad one he’s signed, and even then I’d rather marner overpaid by a 1-1.5m than not have him at all. Just because Conor mcD. Felt like giving chia money back and signing the nicest deal in nhl history doesn’t mean that our deals are not market value. Matthew’s cap% and term fell right in the middle of previous examples (sid, geno, Tavares, stammer, toews) when they needed new deals.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Oilers fan here. 7 years is actually better for the Oilers, and keep the pick. What you are seeing from Oilers fans (and pretty much everyone else) how this makes any sense for Toronto and Dubas’ logic of thinking it’s like “cap space”. Players and, more importantly, their agents remember how you screwed their clients out of getting paid for an extra year. Not the best business decision.
If the people in charge in Edmonton thought the 7 year deal was better than this would be done by now, the fact nothings finalized means that Holland desperately wants to stretch the deal out lowering the aav.
when Toronto’s previous regimes left KD in a pickle with the Marleau grenade no one was there willing to help out good guy Kyle, he has 0 obligation to do anything for anyone aside from making Toronto as competitive as possible year in & out.

Reactions: Smif

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Feels like it just comes down to adding a marginal asset for the Leafs or screwing over Edmonton a little bit. Seems like there's a little value in the first option, and not much benefit to Toronto in the latter.

If anything, we probably could have just traded his negotiating rights earlier and avoided the whole ambiguity.
Agreed. This whole letting him talk to Edmonton to sort out a deal, then discussing compensation for the Leafs afterwards is so ass backwards. I couldn't think of something more Kyle Dubas as this.

Reactions: paulhiggins

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
400K is peanuts depending on how the cap is structured for you.

400K is gold for the Leafs because our cap structure is a JOKE; same may not be true for other teams.

You guys already had Neal eating up 5.75 in cap and now you also added Keith for 5.5. Both will be off your cap in 2 years to give you 10 million cap relief but depending how the roster shapes up for you guys 400K could be quite a bit or nothing.

In the Leafs land 400K will be quite a bit for a foreseeable future
400k in a flat cap world is the difference between a league minimum warm body and a competent 1.2m fill-in. It’s also half way thru the season enough headspace to buy yourself an extra roster spot, and by the deadline represents enough cap to bring in a significant rental. That’s each year for 7… that’s not worth nothing, especially to a team like Edmonton who will likely be playing as much cap gymnastics as the leafs will be over that time

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
400K is peanuts depending on how the cap is structured for you.

400K is gold for the Leafs because our cap structure is a JOKE; same may not be true for other teams.

You guys already had Neal eating up 5.75 in cap and now you also added Keith for 5.5. Both will be off your cap in 2 years to give you 10 million cap relief but depending how the roster shapes up for you guys 400K could be quite a bit or nothing.

In the Leafs land 400K will be quite a bit for a foreseeable future

What 400K for the leafs is irrelevant. Leafs aren’t retaining anything. Oilers have 2 deals in place. 8 years for 5.1 or years for 5.5. Even with Hyman signing at 5.5M Oilers still have 10M in space plus Klefbom’s 4.1M. The only team being hurt here is the Maple Leafs and the player.

Reactions: McDoused

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You mean the marner contract right? That’s literally the only bad one he’s signed, and even then I’d rather marner overpaid by a 1-1.5m than not have him at all. Just because Conor mcD. Felt like giving chia money back and signing the nicest deal in nhl history doesn’t mean that our deals are market value. Matthew’s cap% and term fell right in the middle of previous examples (sid, geno, Tavares, stammer, toews) when they needed new deals.

He messed up on Matthews' contract too. The cap hit was fine on an 8-year deal instead their franchise player will now walk straight to UFA status.

Marner's was a terrible deal. He was an RFA with one 90+ point season under his belt. His dad and agent took Dubas to the cleaners on that contract without question.

I won't blame him for the Tavares deal. You can argue the necessity of signing him but not the negotiation itself. The deal was fair and most teams would have paid it.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I can get behind this argument for sure. It makes sense unlike other BS by other folks
No offence but this has been said all day long just in different words , only to be brushed off. Maybe too much hatred in this thread so nobody really reading what the other person is saying.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Agreed. This whole letting him talk to Edmonton to sort out a deal, then discussing compensation for the Leafs afterwards is so ass backwards. I couldn't think of something more Kyle Dubas as this.
It's common, lot's of teams did it this year like Carolina and Dougie Hamilton.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
We dont care if it's a 7 or 8 year deal.

Just because the leafs are tight against the cap doesnt mean we are.
This is obviously not the case otherwise the deal would already be done. It’s evident Holland values the saved cap pretty significantly

Reactions: dubey

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What 400K for the leafs is irrelevant. Leafs aren’t retaining anything. Oilers have 2 deals in place. 8 years for 5.1 or years for 5.5. Even with Hyman signing at 5.5M Oilers still have 10M in space plus Klefbom’s 4.1M. The only team being hurt here is the Maple Leafs and the player.

Hyman gets his 40 million whether it is 7 yr or 8 yr deal so player is hardly being hurt. I think player would prefer he get is 40 million a year sooner (7 compared to 8 years).

If oilers want the sign and trade to lower the AAV then they gotta cough up. Leafs paid 4th rounder to the sharks to retain 1.375 million on the Foligno trade.

If Oilers are going to save 400K to 500K on the cap then they gotta cough up a higher pick. We don't want to go into the UFA market offer a player 3M and Oilers to go offer him 3.5 million for the same term because Leafs help you guys out without getting anything in return.

Leafs didn't get any help from anyone in the League; Leafs aren't going to help anyone without the right price either

Reactions: hockeywiz542

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Reached the thread limit
We can open a new one when more news comes (update in terms, new teams enter the picture, trade happens, or the actual signing on Free Agency Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad