Zach Hyman appreciation thread

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Reading through this thread and the Brown thread it's still abundantly clear that this fanbase has a weird love for mediocre players. I thought this would have went away when we acquired elite talent but apparently not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
great effort every shift and has upside! you need a guy or 2 like him on a team. :thumbu:
This, does his job really well, really easy guy to cheer for.

With the abundance of talent on this Team the good soldiers like Hyman, Brown, Johnsson will really show their worth this season.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Reading through this thread and the Brown thread it's still abundantly clear that this fanbase has a weird love for mediocre players. I thought this would have went away when we acquired elite talent but apparently not.
you don't win without different skillsets throughout the lineup. It's that simple.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

When I was a kid, the two jersey's I owned were completely one-way scoring hockey players. The fact is, you just don't win with just superstars. And with the salary cap, these 'mediocre' players are what makes the difference. A team like Chicago hits their peak and then the real core started to crumble. Guys like Hyman don't win games, they'll win you championships. Bang for the buck is so important these days.

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
When I was a kid, the two jersey's I owned were completely one-way scoring hockey players. The fact is, you just don't win with just superstars. And with the salary cap, these 'mediocre' players are what makes the difference. A team like Chicago hits their peak and then the real core started to crumble. Guys like Hyman don't win games, they'll win you championships. Bang for the buck is so important these days.

I definitely agree with what you say to an extent but when it comes to those cap hits on the superstars, that's where it really matters. Getting guys like Hyman and Brown on the cap hits they're on is a given in this day and age, but they can definitely get hot and be the difference in a playoff series and subsequently a cup.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I like Brown and Hyman - both guys very useful players (Hyman in particular has great even strength play), But this is long been a somewhat frustrating thing for me.

Leafs fans always seem to shower (excessive amounts of) love and praise on depth players who have a “blue collar” style to their game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I like Brown and Hyman - both guys very useful players (Hyman in particular has great even strength play), But this is long been a somewhat frustrating thing for me.

Leafs fans always seem to shower (excessive amounts of) love and praise on depth players who have a “blue collar” style to their game.
Why not praise them? Everyone should love a hard worker.
Not sure how excessive it is. I've never seen a Hyman/Brown or any other "blue collar" players shirt worn by fans to a game.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Because it takes a village to achieve a difficult task.
BTW, this is an appreciation where weird love abounds. :blush::heart:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I don't think many dislike him as much as they want him out of the top 6. Babcock's insistence on stapling him to Matthews' side last season was ire inducing for many (me included )

Reactions: nofehr

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hyman should be playing against top nhl lines all season and be on our 1st PK every game, his defense is gonna be huge for us, and his offense is more than solid enough for the D and hustle he brings

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
hyman should be playing against top nhl lines all season and be on our 1st PK every game, his defense is gonna be huge for us, and his offense is more than solid enough for the D and hustle he brings
his defense is vastly overrated

he works very hard but he's usually the first out of our zone and among the last guys back due to usually gluing himself to the front of the net in the o zone

also he has a very difficult time trying to pick a puck off the boards and out of our end with possession under any type of pressure and that's why the puck usually comes out of our end on the other side

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
He won me over in the series against Washington, and he really showed his value against the Bruins. Yeah he's not that great offensively, but he works his ass off and the rest of the team should really follow suit.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Best 4th liner in hockey.

If he doesn't produce beside Tavares he should get demoted. He hustles and grinds sure but he doesn't produce much has bad hands and for a grinder his hits aren't that heavy. I don't like him I don't hate him I just think he needs to prove a lot more but he seems to be getting a ton of praise in this thread... It's a bit over the top

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is playing left wing as a right shot winger not that easy to do at the speed of today’s game taking passes on your back hand. He played with Mathews and Nylander because Mathews needed a winger to get to pucks first as it sure was not going to be Nylander as he has a alergy to being hit it seems. This year Marleau May get the chance as he is a natural left winger.

For the poster who thinks fans seem to favour poor skilled players. It is not a Leaf thing only. Fans on every team like players who work their tail off, guess what so do coaches!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
his defense is vastly overrated

he works very hard but he's usually the first out of our zone and among the last guys back due to usually gluing himself to the front of the net in the o zone

also he has a very difficult time trying to pick a puck off the boards and out of our end with possession under any type of pressure and that's why the puck usually comes out of our end on the other side
Pucks came out the right side more because most of our D man are Left shots so they are on their forehand when passing to the right side.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Pucks came out the right side more because most of our D man are Left shots so they are on their forehand when passing to the right side.
and because Hyman is incapable of taking the puck off the boards and making an exist with possession

how about we just leave it at Hyman being a hard working energy player instead of making up fairy tales as to any other value he may have

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
and because Hyman is incapable of taking the puck off the boards and making an exist with possession

how about we just leave it at Hyman being a hard working energy player instead of making up fairy tales as to any other value he may have
How about you start learning the game and having an understanding of what you are watching. You are the one producing stories as you are attempting to say that the Leafs exit the zone on the right side when Hyman is on the ice which not only is it wrong but made up. Look at the D pairings when Mathews line was on the ice for the answer.

Reactions: White Shadow

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How about you start learning the game and having an understanding of what you are watching. You are the one producing stories as you are attempting to say that the Leafs exit the zone on the right side when Hyman is on the ice which not only is it wrong but made up. Look at the D pairings when Mathews line was on the ice for the answer.
so your saying we don't exist on Hyman's side because it's impossible for our left hand D to make a pass or chip it up the boards because they're playing on there wrong side ?

lol i guess that's also the reason i kept seeing Hyman flub the puck and lose possession constantly when we were attempting to break out and your not the only person who understands the game and what there watching , maybe you should put your bias aside so you too can understand what you're watching

he's a hard working energy player and that's all he is , trying to make him more than that makes you look foolish

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
so your saying we don't exist on Hyman's side because it's impossible for our left hand D to make a pass or chip it up the boards because they're playing on there wrong side ?

lol i guess that's also the reason i kept seeing Hyman flub the puck and lose possession constantly when we were attempting to break out and your not the only person who understands the game and what there watching , maybe you should put your bias aside so you too can understand what you're watching

he's a hard working energy player and that's all he is , trying to make him more than that makes you look foolish
I have no bias at all towards Hyman and do understand what I am watching and the puck came up his side more then it did the right side. Most on here never mention that he is a Right shot winger playing the left side. He carried the puck up the ice many many times and people on here got mad because he generally dumped it in. People making up their own facts to support their agenda is funny.
Calling him Babcocks son etc only makes the poster look silly. He is far better than most in here give him credit for but that is par for the course on here as the simply fail to understand what they are watching. Most even strength points by a left winger tied with Marleau at 38 more then JVR. The kid got 38 even strength points and 2 short handed points and people are calling him a 4th liner etc are a joke. 14 of those points were goals one less then Nylander at even strength but it is Hyman who can not finish. These are all facts. Yet it is me that is making myself look foolish...lol I will leave that up to you as you seem to be doing a great job at that.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Big fan of Hyman. Good teams need someone like him. Works hard and leaves it all on the ice for the team. Questionable top 6 players but a welcomed addition on any teams 3rd or 4th line.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Big fan of Hyman. Good teams need someone like him. Works hard and leaves it all on the ice for the team. Questionable top 6 players but a welcomed addition on any teams 3rd or 4th line.
You need good soldiers with good stars to win.
When hockey becomes no touching allowed, maybe things change. Until then, you need guys who will take the hit, take the grind to compliment.
And so far come playoff time, Hyman has been > than a lot of others.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad