Zach Hyman appreciation thread

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nice avoidance again.

Do you expect a sharp increase in Matthews production if/when Marleau is his new linemate?
his reply wasn't to me so i avoided nothing , i just asked him the same type of question he asked the other poster

with the same usage (toi/zone starts etc.) i do expect the line to be more productive without Hyman , of course that's also dependent on old man Marleau not regressing which is always a concern with players his age

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
his reply wasn't to me so i avoided nothing , i just asked him the same type of question he asked the other poster

with the same usage (toi/zone starts etc.) i do expect the line to be more productive without Hyman , of course that's also dependent on old man Marleau not regressing which is always a concern with players his age

My apologies, I was skimming the thread instead of reading it thoroughly. You did not avoid any question.

I expect Matthews' production to go up as well, but I don't think having Marleau instead of Hyman will be much of a contributing factor in that regard. Even if Marleau is exactly the same Marleau this year as he was last year, I'd expect Matthews' production to go up even if Hyman gets re-stapled to his hip.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My apologies, I was skimming the thread instead of reading it thoroughly. You did not avoid any question.

I expect Matthews' production to go up as well, but I don't think having Marleau instead of Hyman will be much of a contributing factor in that regard. Even if Marleau is exactly the same Marleau this year as he was last year, I'd expect Matthews' production to go up even if Hyman gets re-stapled to his hip.

I believe the original question was regarding Matthews' ES production - hard to see that going much higher than it already is.

Reactions: Shanty

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe the original question was regarding Matthews' ES production - hard to see that going much higher than it already is.
It stands to reason that as he matures his totals should increase. I'm guessing this will be taken by some as a sign that Hyman was holding him back.

Reactions: Shanty

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It stands to reason that as he matures his totals should increase. I'm guessing this will be taken by some as a sign that Hyman was holding him back.

I just think the numbers are so good already that maintaining that level would be awesome. Not that I want to put an arbitrary ceiling on him, it's entirely reasonable to expect him to improve. Of course we shouldn't get too hung up on one number or we invite JVR syndrome - "how will we replace those goals" without considering how the line is defensively.

If Matthews has better production with Marleau I'm sure you're right, those that don't like Hyman will be all over him without digging deeper to see if the criticism is justified.

Reactions: ACC1224

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I just think the numbers are so good already that maintaining that level would be awesome. Not that I want to put an arbitrary ceiling on him, it's entirely reasonable to expect him to improve. Of course we shouldn't get too hung up on one number or we invite JVR syndrome - "how will we replace those goals" without considering how the line is defensively.

If Matthews has better production with Marleau I'm sure you're right, those that don't like Hyman will be all over him without digging deeper to see if the criticism is justified.

I think part of the issue is that we're in the "era of statistics". This invites people to use very basic statistics in order to make very complex points.

An stat is only useful if the connected context makes sense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think part of the issue is that we're in the "era of statistics". This invites people to use very basic statistics in order to make very complex points.

An stat is only useful if the connected context makes sense.

So true. I don't know how many times I've read here "how will we replace JVR's 36 goals" that it makes me a bit ill just to think about it.

Reactions: Boutette

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
so playing with JT this year and Hymans numbers go up, does it mean;

it's just part of Hymans growth as an NHL player

Matthews was holding back the Zach Hyman that led the Wolverines with 54 pts in 37 games and was a ppg player in the CCHA

JT is that much better then Matty

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Matthews was holding back the Zach Hyman that led the Wolverines with 54 pts in 37 games and was a ppg player in the CCHA

Do we get the context of watching the players play, or do we just get the end-of-season statistics?

At this point, the obvious answer to me is that Hyman continued his development, but this question can't be answered without watching the games and players.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Nice avoidance again.

Do you expect a sharp increase in Matthews production if/when Marleau is his new linemate?

I'm the one you asked.
The answer? ...I don't know.
I do think that a left winger who can skate and make plays would help Matthews increase his production, especially his assists.
But I don't know whether Marleau, at 39, still has the hands to handle the puck anymore....
We shall see.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

If that happens, it is likely due to ZH having growth as a player. JT makes more plays than AM but he isn't Backstrom. Not as good a skater as Matthews but a beast from the blue line in and makes more use of his wingers. I dont know that he will improve because I think his icetime gets reduced. This is so dependent on Babcock's use of the top flight guys.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'm the one you asked.
The answer? ...I don't know.
I do think that a left winger who can skate and make plays would help Matthews increase his production, especially his assists.
But I don't know whether Marleau, at 39, still has the hands to handle the puck anymore....
We shall see.
Marleau has the hands.It's the legs that go first on most players.
I would rather see Johnsson or Kappy get a long look instead,if the Hyman experiment truly is over!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad