Zach Hyman appreciation thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you go back this thread was fine before people felt offended that Hyman had an appreciation thread. If anyone is rabid it's the delusional crew and their rabid hate for players.
No doubt. the Leaf world can be a bizarre world at times.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
because some of us don't believe he should be on a scoring line means we hate the player ?

if Babs stepped down at the end of last season and Hyman was demoted to a checking line by the new coach 99% of the people defending him being glued to Mathews for 2 year wouldn't say a peep about it

See the thread title please - this thread's about the player, not decisions made by the coaching staff.

Hyman had a great season, hope he has aonther one!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
because some of us don't believe he should be on a scoring line means we hate the player ?

if Babs stepped down at the end of last season and Hyman was demoted to a checking line by the new coach 99% of the people defending him being glued to Mathews for 2 year wouldn't say a peep about it
it's crazy what people say to defend this team's every decision.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto

If it was 1998, I might agree with you. Fact is, the team has to make a decision between Kapanen and Brown for the 4th line RW position. In 1998, those are both top 6 players. It's a different league, a different world. You keep talking about how we need to "change" things in order to make certain players more successful.

Putting a player like Hyman in the "top 6" is the change.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Almost as crazy as thinking Hyman should be getting 50 EV points.
to be passable as a 1st liner, he should get 50 even strength points. that's not crazy at the slightest. as i've said before he isn't going to get many points on the pp or pk so 50 even strength points will be around his season's total. 50 points from a 1st liner that plays primarily with 2 of our best offensive players is underwhelming, but for a guy that is inept offensively, the standard must be set lower. i mean, his linemates were at or near 50 even strength points this season (matthews-50, nylander-49) so needing 50 to be passable on the top line shouldn't be that crazy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who are these people who defend every decision? Is there a list somewhere?
What about those who hate everything they do? We have a list for that?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
to be passable as a 1st liner, he should get 50 even strength points. that's not crazy at the slightest. as i've said before he isn't going to get many points on the pp or pk so 50 even strength points will be around his season's total. 50 points from a 1st liner that plays primarily with 2 of our best offensive players is underwhelming, but for a guy that is inept offensively, the standard must be set lower. i mean, his linemates were at or near 50 even strength points this season (matthews-50, nylander-49) so needing 50 to be passable on the top line shouldn't be that crazy.
You're not making the standard lower, you're asking the guy to put up the same amount of EV points as the best players in the league. Have you looked at the entire list of players who got 50+ EV points?

Reactions: Shanty

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
You're not making the standard lower, you're asking the guy to put up the same amount of EV points as the best players in the league. Have you looked at the entire list of players who got 50+ EV points?

Hasn't looked at it, but it's been posted.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no, but i know it's a list that seems hard to get on. however, when you're a guy that plays most of his minutes with two great even strength producers, doesn't score points on the pp or pk, and has no offensive skills, then you should be able to produce at that clip if you want to be deemed "passable" on the top line. if hyman got points on the special teams, then i would lower the even strength point total that would deem him passable. hyman has less total points than matthews and nylander had of even strength points.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

50 ES points - Marchand, Hall, Kessel
51 ES points - Ovechkin, Kopitar, Karlsson, Dadonov, Benn Kane
Over 51 - Panarin, Gaudreau, Barzal, Giroux, Mackinnon, Kucherov and McDavid

So Hyman gets lumped in with "underachievers" like Malkin, Stamkos, Matthews etc.

This fan base never fails to amaze ...

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
50 ES points - Marchand, Hall, Kessel
51 ES points - Ovechkin, Kopitar, Karlsson, Dadonov, Benn Kane
Over 51 - Panarin, Gaudreau, Barzal, Giroux, Mackinnon, Kucherov and McDavid

So Hyman gets lumped in with "underachievers" like Malkin, Stamkos, Matthews etc.

This fan base never fails to amaze ...

Maybe these are coming from EA NHL thoughts? I know whenever I play it, Hyman always gets similar point totals to his linemates. He was even my goals leader one year. :laugh:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If it was 1998, I might agree with you. Fact is, the team has to make a decision between Kapanen and Brown for the 4th line RW position. In 1998, those are both top 6 players. It's a different league, a different world. You keep talking about how we need to "change" things in order to make certain players more successful.

Putting a player like Hyman in the "top 6" is the change.

you speak like the only way to have a successful scoring line is to put a low skill energy player on the line but where was the need for a "Hyman" type player on the very successful Kadri-Marner-Marleau line ?

it's one thing to play Hyman up in the lineup if we had little to no other options but on a team with as many wing options as we have it's absurd to believe gluing him to Mathews is the only option , especially since no one else was ever tried

it's nuts that even when down a goal late in games Hyman was still being thrown out there with AM

Reactions: ToMaLe

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe these are coming from EA NHL thoughts? I know whenever I play it, Hyman always gets similar point totals to his linemates. He was even my goals leader one year. :laugh:

Not sure what happened to my like button so ... like. :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you speak like the only way to have a successful scoring line is to put a low skill energy player on the line but where was the need for a "Hyman" type player on the very successful Kadri-Marner-Marleau line ?

it's one thing to play Hyman up in the lineup if we had little to no other options but on a team with as many wing options as we have it's absurd to believe gluing him to Mathews is the only option , especially since no one else was ever tried

it's nuts that even when down a goal late in games Hyman was still being thrown out there with AM

You're still in the wrong thread.

SEE THE THREAD TITLE!!!

Shanty

Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
if this gets you so upset just put people people on ignore or just ignore the thread

1. Sees player appreciation thread.

2. Posts complaints about said player and related coaching decisions in thread.

3. Tells people who don't like it to ignore posts or the thread itself.

HFboards logic astounds me.

Reactions: ACC1224

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
no, but i know it's a list that seems hard to get on. however, when you're a guy that plays most of his minutes with two great even strength producers, doesn't score points on the pp or pk, and has no offensive skills, then you should be able to produce at that clip if you want to be deemed "passable" on the top line. if hyman got points on the special teams, then i would lower the even strength point total that would deem him passable. hyman has less total points than matthews and nylander had of even strength points.
Wait..why? How does that make sense?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
1. Sees player appreciation thread.

2. Posts complaints about said player and related coaching decisions in thread.

3. Tells people who don't like it to ignore posts or the thread itself.

HFboards logic astounds me.
the thread was 4 months old with barely any posts , why did you think a poster like Salt bumped it if not to drive traffic and stir things up ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
newsflash, people talk about different things in a thread.

Yes, it appears that you do have the right to post random thoughts in random threads.

if this gets you so upset just put people people on ignore or just ignore the thread

Yes I'm aware of that option. I like to give people many "second chances" but there does eventually come a time ...

Have a nice life. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad