Player Discussion Zach Bogosian

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Ha just for giggles, I youtubed Myers hits, and the first one is of him lighting up Lucic in the playoffs as a fricking rookie. Like I said it's not the dominant part of his game, but the post I was commenting on was implying that Myers isn't physical and that is simply wrong.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm sorry...but it's not the same as throwing the body around. It's great he engages when someone nuts him. But it doesn't mean he plays a physical game.

I don't know how a Sabres fan could say Myers doesn't play physical. He plays physical. To the degree of Bogosian? Of course not, but it's there as a plus part of his game.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
He has the best corsirelQoC of any Jets D-man along with the best on ice SV% among Jets D-man that played over 35 games. The most impressive stat for me though is that his DZS is 49.1% and that his OZF (offensive zone finishes) is the highest of any Jets player. Also has the 2nd highest PDO (on ice save%+on ice shooting%) of any jets player. Ladd is at 1023 and Bogo at 1022.

Still think Myers is better and clearly so.
This isn't neccessarily a good thing. PDO is generally considered a luck based stat by analytics over the kind of sample sizes we're talking about over a single season, and an indicator of possible future regression (or progression, in the case of a low PDO) in on-ice GF/GA numbers.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
I don't know how a Sabres fan could say Myers doesn't play physical. He plays physical. To the degree of Bogosian? Of course not, but it's there as a plus part of his game.

Myers did have his moments where he got mad enough to play physical, but he was not known to be a punishing D'man..

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Myers did have his moments where he got mad enough to play physical, but he was not known to be a punishing D'man..

I think "physical" and "punishing" are distinct things. A physical player uses leverage (strength + size) to win battles for positioning or pucks. Myers engages players physically and wins. His mean streak exists but it is like you said, it usually needs to be provoked.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I feel like if you take Armia or the 1st out the deal would be perfect.

That was my first reaction to the deal, too. It felt like one too many pieces was thrown in. I love Kane and I'm really happy to have him, but downgrading from Myers to Bogosian along with Stafford (essentially a 2nd rounder), Armia, Lemieux, and the 1st was a bit overkill.

I understand the rationale - two building blocks going forward in exchange for one stud, a pending FA, and a bunch of unknowns. 6'8" guys that can skate like Myers are just so rare. He's the type of high-upside guy that I want in this rebuild. But I feel the same way about Kane, so I understand what Murray was trying to do here.

It's still surreal.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That was my first reaction to the deal, too. It felt like one too many pieces was thrown in. I love Kane and I'm really happy to have him, but downgrading from Myers to Bogosian along with Stafford (essentially a 2nd rounder), Armia, Lemieux, and the 1st was a bit overkill.

I understand the rationale - two building blocks going forward in exchange for one stud, a pending FA, and a bunch of unknowns. 6'8" guys that can skate like Myers are just so rare. He's the type of high-upside guy that I want in this rebuild. But I feel the same way about Kane, so I understand what Murray was trying to do here.

It's still surreal.

I was pretty vocally against the trade when it first broke, but the more I've had a chance to think about it and read opinions, the more I'm okay with what was done. We dealt from a position of strength and added to a position of weakness...before adding Kane there was no one in the organization that easily projects to be a top line forward, whereas Myers can reasonably be expected to have his shoes filled by any of Risto, Zadorov, and now Bogosian as well.

We gave up a lot, but we got a lot back too. At worst, it's a fair trade helping both teams. Hearing that Lemieux didn't want to sign here helped ease things quite a bit for me, he was the big loss in my mind but if we never had him, that's easier.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We gave up a lot, but we got a lot back too. At worst, it's a fair trade helping both teams. Hearing that Lemieux didn't want to sign here helped ease things quite a bit for me, he was the big loss in my mind but if we never had him, that's easier.

Murray said that they tried to sign Lemeiux and couldn't get a deal done but that's not why he was part of the trade.

He said that BL was THE player in juniors that the Jets wanted in the deal.

ZeroPT*

how could they have not gotten the deal done? aren't most ELC'S the same?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Seriously? You would define Myers' career as "steady progression" ???

Myers is grossly overvalued on this forum, but that is not a surprise.

Exactly!

Bogosian is a much better player than Myers at this point. Myers has regressed every year and has a very low hockey IQ.

Murray has been looking to get rid of Myers and he did a very good job of it by significantly upgrading to Bogosian.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Murray said that they tried to sign Lemeiux and couldn't get a deal done but that's not why he was part of the trade.

He said that BL was THE player in juniors that the Jets wanted in the deal.

It does sound a little fishy to me, as well.

I think it did play a part in it. How could it not? Maybe Murray didn't resolve to trade him as soon as the ELC talks didn't find traction, but when given an opportunity like this I'm sure it made it that much easier.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Not according to Winnipeg's management. They targeted Myers as basis for the entire deal according to Murray. Why would a team that was stacked on the right side target Myers? Probably because they didn't feel they were nearly as stacked as fans were saying. They weren't high on what they had and they fixed it by swapping Myers for Bogosian. I've seen a few people make the comment "Why can't Bogo be just as good as Myers". Well they've both been in the league for about the same amount of time and Myers has shown steady progression while Bogo has taken a similar path but with slower results. Both were used as offensive defensemen at first. Both had horrible 2nd and 3rd seasons. But Myers turned it around after that while Bogosian struggled. Bogosian right now is where Myers was in the shortened lockout season. He's about a year and a half behind Myers. So while he could catch up next year I don't see him being much better than Myers is today. So it could be a wash one day but it certainly isn't right now and Winnipeg themselves agree. Which is why I don't understand why Armia or the 1st was added. Unless Lemieux had next to no value because of his agent father. I feel like if you take Armia or the 1st out the deal would be perfect.

So you're basing an opinion of Myers and Bogosian off of what you think Winnipeg's management thinks? Who cares, what have they done that makes them experts on talent evaluation?

Not to say Murray is either, but he has a pretty good track record recognizing talent as a scout and assistant GM. Maybe despite what he says to the public, he doesn't see Myers as a long term fit or a cornerstone piece as some on here describe him. So he trades him in a package that gets him a guy similarly aged who he thinks can replace Myers's minutes but in a slightly different role. It works both ways.

Last edited:

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Stop crying Buffalo Fans, you dont loose this trade...

Myers wasn't a stud...

Myers = Bogosian, its pretty even

Myers had 13pts in 47 game, with near 3 min PP time...Bogosian 13 pts in 41 games with juste 1 min PP(second pp time)...

When Bogo had 1st PP time(with injury to enstrom, trouba..) in january, he get PPG, from Jan 10 to Jan 16, he get 3-2-5 +8!!! in 5 games...

you've already loaded with prospect, a contender team need top player, Kane is a top line player(or can be), you dont win with a bunch of top 9 fowards, you need 4-5 top players...you were in position to give quantity for quality and Murray did it! He pay a lot, you're right, but with Mceichel, kane, Reinerth, Girgenson, Risto, Zad, Bogo, you have a solide core, with good UFA you will be a contender soon...

Myers had a lot of upside, but you get Bogosian who have a big upside too, he needed a change he was behind Byfuglien, Enstrom and trouba in Winnipeg now its a new start for him, in Winnipeg they made him a top 4 Physical Shut Down defender...its time for him to became a 2 way force.

Bogo could be youre new capitain soon...

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Stop crying Buffalo Fans, you dont loose this trade...

Myers wasn't a stud...

Myers = Bogosian, its pretty even

Myers had 13pts in 47 game, with near 3 min PP time...Bogosian 13 pts in 41 games with juste 1 min PP(second pp time)...

When Bogo had 1st PP time(with injury to enstrom, trouba..) in january, he get PPG, from Jan 10 to Jan 16, he get 3-2-5 +8!!! in 5 games...

You sound familiar.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I'll go out and say it, He'll be you're new #1 guy and can thrive in Buffalo now. And when he does take over I'm sure he'll be ready to crack heads as well when needed, can see him being your Buff-light. Really want to see him next year, fully settled.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Myers could be the best round peg in the world, but if Tim Murray is trying to build a team with a square hole, it really doesn't matter and he's got to go.

If you want to quibble about who's going to have better numbers in what scenarios, fine, but that's not necessarily what this is about. It's about building a specific type of team. One where a player like Bogo is more valuable than big Tyler.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Just a Public Service Announcement:

Bogosian grew up closer to:

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Than he did to Buffalo.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Than he did to Buffalo.

True, but once your over that border from Cornwall or Brockville, it's a different world man. Cause Murica man.

I'm sure Buffalo will feel more like home for him then any of those 3 places, also said a lot of friends went to school in Syracuse and Buffalo and stuck around. I'm sure none went to Ottawa U, McGill or UToronto, haha.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa

Than he did to Buffalo.

A counter PSA

For newcomer Bogosian, Buffalo feels like home http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/02/12/for-newcomer-bogosian-buffalo-feels-like-home/

“You don’t know what to think. Everything happened so fast,†Bogosian said Thursday while riding in a limousine from Toronto. “Once I heard ‘Buffalo,’ everything kind of clicked. I immediately thought of how close I would be to home and get a chance to play in front of my family and friends.â€

He would have been upset over leaving a team battling for a playoff spot if he didn’t know it would be a homecoming of sorts. He grew up in Massena, a small town along the St. Lawrence River, but his family has been connected to Western New York longer than he’s been alive.

His godfather is Dennis Hartman, the former West Seneca West running back who played college ball at Syracuse. Hartman and Bogosian’s father, Ike, were college teammates and roommates. Zach Bogosian was 8 years old when Hartman took him to his first NHL game, which was played in Buffalo.

“Fast-forward 10 to 15 years later, and I was playing in the same building and trying to win against the Sabres,†Bogosian said. “Every time I played in Buffalo, I had to call Dennis and make sure my ticket situation was taken care of. It was at least in the 20s every time I came here. It was alwas cool.â€

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Like Murray said.. how many 2nd rounders from that draft are signed already? ..

I just don't think negotiations were all that intense ... I'm sure they were holding out for a little more money or a bigger bonus ... time was certainly on everyones side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad