Player Discussion Zach Bogosian

Bps21*

I said this in another thread but Bogo is a good fit with the punishing style of team Murray is building,

Western conference style jam all around...Reinhart and McEichel in the middle. The perfect storm.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So does Bogo slide next to Gorges or do we mix up the pairings?

Gorges-Ristolainen
Zadorov-Bogosian

Is probably a bit more balanced.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This is going to be the most interesting part of the rest of the season for me: how much bogo can fill Myers shoes. I'm going to the Jersey game next week, hoping he's a stud and not just a middle pairing guy.

It'll also be the first move we can all agree is about gmtm trying to win. So the real evaluation starts now.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I said this in another thread but Bogo is a good fit with the punishing style of team Murray is building,

I love where this roster is going. Its gonna be big, mean, physical, and there's gonna be a handful of talented scorers kicking around on top of it all.

So does Bogo slide next to Gorges or do we mix up the pairings?

Gorges-Ristolainen
Zadorov-Bogosian

Is probably a bit more balanced.

balanced yes, but Risto and Zads are doing everything they can to stay above water as the second pairing, moving 1 onto the top pairing seams like a tough assignment for whoever draws it, I think I keep it the way it is Gorges/Bogo, Risto/Zads, Weber/Strachan then treat Risto/Zads as the second pairing but balance their time with the third pair

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
My best expectations are that Bogosian will be as effective as Myers. I like Bogosian as a player in general, and will like his physicality for sure, but he is FAR from the return I expected in the event that Myers was traded.

"Knock my socks off"...yeah whatever. It's clear to me that Murray didn't think much of Myers, but he went on this year-long propaganda campaign trying to pump up his value...only to take a barely fair return.

Given the rest of the parts of the trade, you can't tell me Myers returned more than Bogosian. If Winnipeg specifically wanted Myers, then Armia or the 1st shouldn't have went their way.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Jet Fan here....... Just stopped in to tell you that Bogo is unbelievable strong and is a beast in the Gym. Was Known as the best in shape guy on the team. best all around athlete.

Kane is also a fit freak as well.....but Bogo is on a totally different level.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I am absolutely pumped to see what Bogosian can do, he was projected to be a franchise player when he was drafted and is still only 24 years old. This is a huge opportunity for him.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Maybe I haven't watched enough of Myers the last couple of years, but I really don't think Bogo is that big of a downgrade (if at all). Gonna come down to health for both these guys going forward, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bogo become the more successful of the two guys going forward.

He doesn't bring the offence that Myers does, but definitely brings a physical element. He's already a clear cut 2nd pairing guy, and I think he has upside for even more (probably settles in a #2/#3).

I like the deal from a Buffalo perspective. Makes the team tougher to play against and gives them more proven producers (when it comes to giving up Armia, draft picks, ect).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I've always been a fan of Bogosian. Like most everyone else, I always thought he'd be a better player than he is, but realistically he should be a good #3 for us. It's possible he could be a #2, but I'm not going to count on that.

I prefer Myers as, imo, the better player, but that doesn't stop me from getting excited about what Bogosian definitely will bring in addition to what he possibly may bring. He's not Myers-huge but he's a big guy with an incredible amount of strength which he relishes using. He's also a better skater than some here are crediting him with. He's definitely a heart-and-soul player. Hopefully he and Kane can establish a new relationship in Buffalo as some have indicated that Bogosian isn't so fond of Evander.

ZeroPT*

He has the best corsirelQoC of any Jets D-man along with the best on ice SV% among Jets D-man that played over 35 games. The most impressive stat for me though is that his DZS is 49.1% and that his OZF (offensive zone finishes) is the highest of any Jets player. Also has the 2nd highest PDO (on ice save%+on ice shooting%) of any jets player. Ladd is at 1023 and Bogo at 1022.

Still think Myers is better and clearly so.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I've always been a fan of Bogosian. Like most everyone else, I always thought he'd be a better player than he is, but realistically he should be a good #3 for us. It's possible he could be a #2, but I'm not going to count on that.

I prefer Myers as, imo, the better player, but that doesn't stop me from getting excited about what Bogosian definitely will bring in addition to what he possibly may bring. He's not Myers-huge but he's a big guy with an incredible amount of strength which he relishes using. He's also a better skater than some here are crediting him with. He's definitely a heart-and-soul player. Hopefully he and Kane can establish a new relationship in Buffalo as some have indicated that Bogosian isn't so fond of Evander.

That's one of the biggest assets I see in Bogosian. I also think he will be far better then Myers on the PP.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Maybe I haven't watched enough of Myers the last couple of years, but I really don't think Bogo is that big of a downgrade (if at all). Gonna come down to health for both these guys going forward, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bogo become the more successful of the two guys going forward.

He doesn't bring the offence that Myers does, but definitely brings a physical element. He's already a clear cut 2nd pairing guy, and I think he has upside for even more (probably settles in a #2/#3).

I like the deal from a Buffalo perspective. Makes the team tougher to play against and gives them more proven producers (when it comes to giving up Armia, draft picks, ect).

These past two years have been Myers' best, so it's hard to evaluate the two if you haven't seen a lot of both recently. Ever since Nolan took over, November of last season I believe, Myers has been on balance our best player. Obviously that's not saying a lot given the team he's on, but he's been getting a top line role (especially this year w/o Ehrhoff) and performing well in it. He's been carrying Josh Gorges, a guy who's easy to like but is not a top-pairing player (gotta respect Subban for having done it as well). Hell, he's made Tyson Strachan seem by the numbers like he belongs in the NHL.

His issue before this period was consistency, which is a trait he's now showing. The offense isn't there like it was in his rookie season and probably never will be barring ideal circumstances (his vision and hockey IQ are not up to par with top-scoring defensemen), but his defensive and physical games have improved tremendously since he started out. No one can say for sure if Myers is destined to keep that up on, but he's definitely been impressive these past two seasons. There's a chance these two are a wash or perhaps even Bogosian being better in the future, but at this moment, with no good reason to fool myself, I really have to say Myers is the better player.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Jet Fan here....... Just stopped in to tell you that Bogo is unbelievable strong and is a beast in the Gym. Was Known as the best in shape guy on the team. best all around athlete.

Oh yes he's a beast.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
This is going to be the most interesting part of the rest of the season for me: how much bogo can fill Myers shoes. I'm going to the Jersey game next week, hoping he's a stud and not just a middle pairing guy.

It'll also be the first move we can all agree is about gmtm trying to win. So the real evaluation starts now.

This kind of reminds me of when Ottawa traded for Methot. Consequently he is the only player fit to be paired with Karlsson. I think that Bogosian will start to break out with the Sabres, kind of like Methot did in Ottawa.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets fan here. Great trade for both teams IMO.

As far as Bogo goes, I think you guys are going to love him. He is a physical beast and comparable to Robin Regehr but I'd say a bit better. As far as the games missed it is not really what it seems; I watch every Jets game and you can chalk up the games lost to just bad luck. I would not say he is injury prone at all really, just the hockey Gods didn't bounce the puck his way a couple times. A change of scenery will be great for him. He can be a force at times but occasionally makes a head-scratcher of a play. But overall he will be missed in Wpg. Really well liked by teammates and the fans. He will serve you guys well and the fans will love his physical style. The word warrior often comes to mind when trying to describe his playing mentality.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Bogosian's games played per year (prorating lockout season). Yeah. We'll love him when he's on the ice.

So it'd be...

81 vs 82
71 vs 80
65 vs 55
56 vs 66 (pro-rated)
55 vs 62
41 vs 47

One of them plays a physical game, one not so much.

Bps21*

I don't think punching them in the head from behind while standing in the goal crease is the same as playing a physical game.

Bps21*

yes now in the next post we will condone nut shuts...in 3...2...1...

I'm sorry...but it's not the same as throwing the body around. It's great he engages when someone nuts him. But it doesn't mean he plays a physical game.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't think punching them in the head from behind while standing in the goal crease is the same as playing a physical game.

C'mon, I'm not going to go find a gif of the blow up hit he had behind the net like two games ago. Myers has been regularly very physical this year. I'm not counting any punches to heads, tho I appreciate them. It's not the dominant part of his game, but when you play 25 minutes a game and most of it is spent in your end cuz the team sucks you have to pick your spots when you try to run guys. Someone else had a delightful gif of him abusing a Montreal guy from earlier this year.

Not claiming he is the biggest hitter in the league, but to imply he is soft is just silly, particularly when it matters. Take a look at the Philly series when he was only 21 and not nearly as physically strong as he is now. He was rag dolling people all over the place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad