Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Very much so disagree - how many pucks did he steal yesterday? He is very far ahead of the other prospects in terms of his defensive game and possession… So it’s not shiny new toy it’s actually playing the player that can play on a third line because he has defensive chops, while the other ones if they’re not scoring goals arent there yet.

Yeah I disagree as well. At the very least you're rewarding hard work and talent shinning through. There's motivation for all prospects that if you deserve it you'll stay in the bigs. If he's sent down that's pretty deflating to the rest of the youngins.

Cap will get figured out. There's 20 teams in worse shape then us moving forward in that regard.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I have serious prospect burn out. I'm really happy about Bensin but normally I'd be on the moon with this kind of draft season performance.
Is he our best forward prospect since Eichel?
Dahlin
Power
Cozens
Quinn
Peterka
Savoie
Kullich
Ostlund
Rozen

prospect…take your pick. D1 performer? Only Dahlin had as much impact In D1 year

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Dahlin
Power
Cozens
Quinn
Peterka
Savoie
Kullich
Ostlund
Rozen

prospect…take your pick. D1 performer? Only Dahlin had as much impact In D1 year
Eichel scored 56 poins his first year, I don't think Benson will top that. Especially since he's not that mature physically and might need som periods of rest/build up. But I could see him having more positive impact over the elc years.

Dahlin had an insane D1 season.

3rd best prospect in the multi-tank era based on raw potential. He's already among our smartest forwards.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Eichel scored 56 poins his first year, I don't think Benson will top that. Especially since he's not that mature physically and might need som periods of rest/build up. But I could see him having more positive impact over the elc years.

Dahlin had an insane D1 season.

3rd best prospect in the multi-tank era based on raw potential. He's already among our smartest forwards.
Since set the start after Eichel, only Dahlin had a comparable D1 season. I do not see Benson eclipsing either. But as prospects go, Power Quinn Peterka all have the potential to outperfom him. Will they? who knows. Nice problem to have.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

Benson is an nhl player could the wjc benefit him sure but he is proving he is an effective nhl player atm. He reads the ice so well its next level it's almost as if he is already refining his game at the nhl level would also like to see him gain more confidence and push the play more with the puck on his stick could see hum turn into a Marchand type player

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Reminder that this chart showed Cozens at like 96 and he looks like garbage. It even rated his defense as being elite when it was awful. This means nothing.

He looks like garbage RIGHT NOW (or at least earlier this year). Doesn't mean that he is forever garbage moving forward.

BUT, that said -- I agree that charts at this point during the season are relatively meaningless.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Didn't think Benson is going to WJC he is playing just too good although it would have been fun to watch him dominate.

I remember in the summer asking chainshot if Benson would make the sabres and he laughed and said no chance.

I guess he beat everyone's expectations so far.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
In the Canadian WJC team thread they're still hopeful Benson is made available.

If you're strictly stat-watching, I get it, but if you're watching his games it's highly unlikely. He's a positive contributor almost every shift.

I predict he stays with the Sabres.

he should have been on PP 1 with Tuch out. Granato was on crack and PCP to keep him on PP 2

But with Tuch and Quinn coming back, I do not see a place in the top 6 for him. VO can be the 7th top 6 forward.

I'd personally send him to junior soon if his production does not improve soon. Let him dominate there and compete for a top 6 spot next year. He will not accrue a year toward UFA status, which makes it easier to keep him cost controlled

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Exceeded my expectations in all around play. Although I anticipate he does not score many goals. Maybe 10-12 goals and 20-25 assists. Doubt he hits 40 points, but otherwise impactful player.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
he should have been on PP 1 with Tuch out. Granato was on crack and PCP to keep him on PP 2

But with Tuch and Quinn coming back, I do not see a place in the top 6 for him. VO can be the 7th top 6 forward.

I'd personally send him to junior soon if his production does not improve soon. Let him dominate there and compete for a top 6 spot next year. He will not accrue a year toward UFA status, which makes it easier to keep him cost controlled

Hasn't he played 10 games and isn't that the cut off to 'burn a year' on the ELC?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I couldnt disagree with an opinion more. What’s wrong with him playing on the third line, he’s 18 and looks like he clearly belongs in the NHL.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Man, Vic has been working hard on the ice. I couldn't believe how hard he was working last night. Not just forechecking but skating the puck with determination.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Benson
Greenway-Mitts-Quinn
Robinson-Krebs-Okposo

Unfortunately, there's just no room for him. Not sure how he'd feel being the #13 on the squad, but if he's cool with it- I'd waive Jost (though I've liked Jost more recently). He'll still get plenty of games.

I think I'd rather have him as depth rather than trade him for a cheap pick. Now, if a team is offering up something with a bit of value, I'd ship him off.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Man, Vic has been working hard on the ice. I couldn't believe how hard he was working last night. Not just forechecking but skating the puck with determination.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Benson
Greenway-Mitts-Quinn
Robinson-Krebs-Okposo

Unfortunately, there's just no room for him. Not sure how he'd feel being the #13 on the squad, but if he's cool with it- I'd waive Jost (though I've liked Jost more recently). He'll still get plenty of games.

I think I'd rather have him as depth rather than trade him for a cheap pick. Now, if a team is offering up something with a bit of value, I'd ship him off.

What do you do with Zemgus?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I couldnt disagree with an opinion more. What’s wrong with him playing on the third line, he’s 18 and looks like he clearly belongs in the NHL.

Id rather players be slotted properly. Top 6 in the top 6. No more erod on the 4th line.

Once benson is ready for the top 6, that is when he should stick

Hes referring to accruing a season towards UFA
Yep. That cutoff is 41 games

Reactions: Selanne00008

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Benson is NOT going back down at this point.

His skill set will work just fine on the third line if necessary. He is then available when the inevitable injury happens in the top 6.

Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad