Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20240102_154348_Instagram.jpg

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
since we aren't making the playoffs, I'd send him back before game 41.

This gives us another year to have Benson under our control before he hits USA. Delays UFA to 26 vs 25

SabresNorth

Nov 6, 2021
If they were going to send him back he should have went to the WJC tourney. I can't see him going back to junior after withholding him.
since we aren't making the playoffs, I'd send him back before game 41.

This gives us another year to have Benson under our control before he hits USA. Delays UFA to 26 vs 25

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
If they were going to send him back he should have went to the WJC tourney. I can't see him going back to junior after withholding him.

he can still play 12 more games. keep him here for them. Let him earn an NHL salary. Then send him back for a playoff push

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
he can still play 12 more games. keep him here for them. Let him earn an NHL salary. Then send him back for a playoff push

I cannot, in any way, see Benson being happy with being sent back to juniors AFTER the WJC....without getting a chance to play in them. Like....it could be catastrophic to the Benson/Sabres relationship.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I cannot, in any way, see Benson being happy with being sent back to juniors AFTER the WJC....without getting a chance to play in them. Like....it could be catastrophic to the Benson/Sabres relationship.

I could think of about 200,000 reasons why he would be happier to be sent back after game 40 than before the WJC

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Benson is going to be signed until he's 28-31 no matter if he hits UFA at 25 or 26.

Sure we'll have to buy an extra year of UFA on said contract, but Benson's contract story is already going to be unique as a player starting his ELC at 18 (and not putting up the big numbers that 18yos aka top picks usually do).

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

After the game on Monday, Granato said he thought Benson could “stabilize” the top line. That’s right, the 18-year-old can bring stability to Thompson and Tuch, the team’s two leading goal scorers from a season ago. Granato called Benson one of the Sabres’ most responsible players.

“Benny is always direct, always to the front of the net, always on the puck,” Granato said. “I knew the guys would respond to that.”

Imagine that. Those are things Granato has been preaching all season, and he’s getting them most consistently from an 18-year-old who came straight from junior hockey. When Granato puts an in-game adjustment in front of the team, he said Benson is the best player at implementing that information on the ice quickly.

After spending the early part of the season living in a hotel, Benson moved in with Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, who has extra space with the new house he bought after signing his eight-year contract extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad