Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Players and teams use figure skating coaches and speed skating coaches all the time and it works. I am not suggesting or limiting the ability to teach Benson to skate better but to say he won't improve just isn't the case.
@Old Navy Goat is talking about straight ahead speed. That he won‘t likely be a burner but more of a guy with great edge work and quickness, like Skinner’s skating. He didn’t say he wouldn’t be able to improve his skating.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Skinner, in an interview(s) has stated that he works with a figure skating coach to work on his edges. If I remember, correctly he said he's done it for years and there was a time when the fanbase used to make jokes about it.
I thought I remembered that Skinner was into figure skating as a youngster. Just my own crooked memory. Either way you can absolutely see it with his skating and it can be deceptive to defenders.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Sabres rookie winger Zach Benson told reporters that he was informed by GM Kevyn Adams that he’ll be sticking around and playing his 10th NHL game.

Absolutely amazing the coach or GM can't make a statement to the media or fans and it has to come from Zach Benson. Can this team try to be decisive for once and show some leadership.

What a clownshow.
You're right, they should have scheduled a press conference with KA, Granato, TPegs and Benson to make the announcement and take questions from the media.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Its not Granatos decision on whether he stays or not.
Exactly, but her certainly made it sound like it was his decision and didn't mention Adams in his response. Little games amatuer teams play with their fans.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Exactly, but her certainly made it sound like it was his decision and didn't mention Adams in his response. Little games amatuer teams play with their fans.
Doesn't matter the business or organization.

Throwing your boss under the bus publicly is never a good idea.

"Jeez, if only my boss would figure out this damned roster issue I can get back to coaching a normal team composition".

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Good move, but an open admission that his roster sucks.

Is it, though? There are 1st rounders drafted every year who make the NHL right away. Just because a newly-drafted player is one of the better players on the team doesn't necessarily imply the rest of the roster sucks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I like Benson, I was a bit leery on him at the draft being undersized. His play has pleasantly surprised me.

But keeping in the NHL and burning a year of his ELC is both a mistake for the player and the Sabres.

1. Benson has 5 points in 12 games. He's met the eye test...but the production test simply isn't there
2. ELC years are VALUABLE. We (potentially at least) could be facing an issue when both Peterka and Quinn are RFAs. Imagine having 2 years of Benson on ELC after Peterka and Quinn have to be re-upped. It'd be helpful right?
3. Wing is the one area we have great organizational depth. The same reason Kane wasn't a good fit....there was no real need to burn a year of Benson's ELC for the team. No reason at all.

He's good....but not better (right now) than options we have in Rochester. This is pure 'shiny new toy' syndrome by the front office.

It's just another example of the front office not thinking first and planning ahead.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I like Benson, I was a bit leery on him at the draft being undersized. His play has pleasantly surprised me.

But keeping in the NHL and burning a year of his ELC is both a mistake for the player and the Sabres.

1. Benson has 5 points in 12 games. He's met the eye test...but the production test simply isn't there
2. ELC years are VALUABLE. We (potentially at least) could be facing an issue when both Peterka and Quinn are RFAs. Imagine having 2 years of Benson on ELC after Peterka and Quinn have to be re-upped. It'd be helpful right?
3. Wing is the one area we have great organizational depth. The same reason Kane wasn't a good fit....there was no real need to burn a year of Benson's ELC for the team. No reason at all.

He's good....but not better (right now) than options we have in Rochester. This is pure 'shiny new toy' syndrome by the front office.

It's just another example of the front office not thinking first and planning ahead.
I would say the only other "dog" prospect is Savoie and he is in junior. Kulich & Rosen will be nice players but they don't have that kind of competitive level that is solely missing most nights.
And he obviously beat them both out in training camp.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Very much so disagree - how many pucks did he steal yesterday? He is very far ahead of the other prospects in terms of his defensive game and possession… So it’s not shiny new toy it’s actually playing the player that can play on a third line because he has defensive chops, while the other ones if they’re not scoring goals arent there yet.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would say the only other "dog" prospect is Savoie and he is in junior. Kulich & Rosen will be nice players but they don't have that kind of competitive level that is solely missing most nights.
And he obviously beat them both out in training camp.
I disagree... Kulich pressures the puck and battles.. he may not be on Bensons level when it comes to that but he hounds the puck

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Never change

Never change

Never change

Never change

I don’t know how you can both watch the games and have those opinions. He was all over the ice last night and has been making an impact.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I have serious prospect burn out. I'm really happy about Bensin but normally I'd be on the moon with this kind of draft season performance.
Is he our best forward prospect since Eichel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad