Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Imagine having a coach who didn't play games with decisions and gave straight talk yet here we all sit waiting for a decision.

This team is a joke.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Speed is a tricky subject as it had many facets. You had players like Rico Fata that could fly in a straight line but don't ask him to turn. Benson will never be a McDavid in straight line speed, his game is edgework and short burst. Now gaining strength will improve his top end but he'll always be Skinner'esque with his edges and making situational plays
Players and teams use figure skating coaches and speed skating coaches all the time and it works. I am not suggesting or limiting the ability to teach Benson to skate better but to say he won't improve just isn't the case.

Reactions: HaNotsri

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
First of all, glad the young man is sticking around. The kid deserved it.

So now I have a stupid question. Does this mean he has to stay up with the Sabres for the remainder of the season? Is it possible they can send him down to Roch at all if his play falls off?
He can’t be sent to Rochester but he can be sent back to the WHL

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Players and teams use figure skating coaches and speed skating coaches all the time and it works. I am not suggesting or limiting the ability to teach Benson to skate better but to say he won't improve just isn't the case.
Do you have any proof of this? I remember when the Sabres brought in Dawn Braid or whatever her name was.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
First of all, glad the young man is sticking around. The kid deserved it.

So now I have a stupid question. Does this mean he has to stay up with the Sabres for the remainder of the season? Is it possible they can send him down to Roch at all if his play falls off?
What @ Mogilny said.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Honestly people say speed can be coached but it may just not be apart of his attributes, if speed could easily be coached into any hockey player there would be no slow players other than older guys who's bodies are already breaking down and everyone would be able to skate with McDavid.
I hear ya. Technique and power are what improves so there's limitations of course but he could obviously use more power behind his strides and he's a bit choppy still. It'll get better but he plays pretty choppy as well, changing direction and speed frequently so the initial push off improvement should help a lot.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Do you have any proof of this? I remember when the Sabres brought in Dawn Braid or whatever her name was.
I am making some political statement that has to be proven? Go look into it yourself. You can start with Miro Heiskanen since he used and credited a figure skating coach for getting better at skating. Am I going to prove it to you? No. Its up to you to educate yourself, not my job.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Sabres rookie winger Zach Benson told reporters that he was informed by GM Kevyn Adams that he’ll be sticking around and playing his 10th NHL game.

Absolutely amazing the coach or GM can't make a statement to the media or fans and it has to come from Zach Benson. Can this team try to be decisive for once and show some leadership.

What a clownshow.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Sabres rookie winger Zach Benson told reporters that he was informed by GM Kevyn Adams that he’ll be sticking around and playing his 10th NHL game.

Absolutely amazing the coach or GM can't make a statement to the media or fans and it has to come from Zach Benson. Can this team try to be decisive for once and show some leadership.

What a clownshow.
Honestly, really feels like you are just grasping for something to be mad about. This is a complete non-issue. If you want to be mad there are plenty of other legitimate things you can be mad about.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
His body is developing. He will be stronger. Skating is also about technique and balance. Both can be developed.

You can develop you voice into your 60s if you take care of it. Most skills can be improved a lot over time.

The most important thing about getting better is getting a great teacher. 10 000 hours practicing on your own isn't worth much.
Hockey players are generalists to an extent if you look at all the skills they need to master, most can probably develop their skating a lot but in different ways their whole careers. Acceleration and top speed will be lost with age eventually but technique never goes away unless you get permanent injuries.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I couldn't watch the Capitals game but saw the highlights. Ballsy flourish & move for his first NHL goal. I have no issue with him staying up. He can always be sent down, and, as others righty note, the more future-impacting milestone is his 40th pro game. Will he get ~30 more over the next ~60? Injuries will likely determine that.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20231124_114337_Instagram.jpg

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Skinner, in an interview(s) has stated that he works with a figure skating coach to work on his edges. If I remember, correctly he said he's done it for years and there was a time when the fanbase used to make jokes about it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I also disagree, respectfully.

Because I read somewhere that his positioning and understanding of how to play the game is pro-ready.

Keeping him here, letting him gain experience, work out with the teams' strength and conditioning people, learning the pro game would keep him from, possibly, learning bad habits from being so dominant that he doesn't need to play the game the right way.

I don't see that he can gain anything in the juniors that he can't gain here. And I'm normally a "send them back until they can't go back" philosophy.
So which environment is he learning a pro game? Which environment is he being shielded from learning bad habits? Are you sure you are talking about the Buffalo Sabres? Because I see a junior level like offense, with zero accountability of players playing with bad habits.

But all of this is moot since they decided to be on the main club.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
He is already a beast, how blessed we are to have him fall into our laps, he might be my favorite player on the Sabres already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad