Zac Rinaldo Suspended for 6 games

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If Rinaldo had continued on his way rather than turn back looking for engagement I don't think Girard would have even been in the path to bump him. This is 100% on Rinaldo.

The stick came up before Rinaldo turned. Girard was going to cross check him no matter what.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Would you suggest he skate through McKinnon?? It was his best route to point.
I'm saying that there is no way he doesn't make that move around MacKinnon if his initial instinct isn't to engage Rinaldo. I say this as someone who grew up playing the game. No doubt in my mind.

Reactions: kbay

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Watch the video again. There are two angles that were replayed.
That's why I keep watching it over and over. The video from angle of your picture looks like a cross check. However when you watch it from behind it's Girard pushing Rinaldo's arm with him stick to get by him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's why I keep watching it over and over. The video from angle of your picture looks like a cross check. However when you watch it from behind it's Girard pushing Rinaldo's arm with him stick to get by him.
I view it as he's trying to flee as he's just realized who it was and that he's in way over his head / crapped his pants.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm saying that there is no way he doesn't make that move around MacKinnon if his initial instinct isn't to engage Rinaldo. I say this as someone who grew up playing the game. No doubt in my mind.
Remember we live in same place. In his 20 years of playing hockey Girard has never went to engage anyone and you think he picks the NHL to start. I'm not talking about what Rinaldo thought but rather what Girard intended. And Rinaldo was 100% wrong.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So you would an NHL D man to stay where he is in this situation rather than skate around his teammate as there might be trouble there?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Remember we live in same place. In his 20 years of playing hockey Girard has never went to engage anyone and you think he picks the NHL to start. I'm not talking about what Rinaldo thought but rather what Girard intended. And Rinaldo was 100% wrong.
I'm sure Rinaldo was looking up his history just as he was making a bee line over to engage him.

There is zero doubt that Girard went out of his way to engage.

Doesn't justify Rinaldo actions but to say he wasn't going over there to stick up for his teammate is fiction.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So you would an NHL D man to stay where he is in this situation rather than skate around his teammate as there might be trouble there?
I'm saying the more natural defensive move given that the forward was not forechecking/standing still and the puck was dumped to the other side of the ice is not to make the move he did. It's very clear by his play what his original intent was. It's no coincidence that all the hockey guys tweeting about the play agree with that. Honestly surprised that this is even a question.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm sure Rinaldo was looking up his history just as he was making a bee line over to engage him.

There is zero doubt that Girard went out of his way to engage.

Doesn't justify Rinaldo actions but to say he wasn't going over there to stick up for his teammate is fiction.
So you believe that in a situution where the Avs player did not think there was any need to engage Rinaldo for the hit such as Johnson, Landescog, and Comeau, a young kid with zero physical parts to his game thought he just had to do something? And then the kid who felt he just had to engage becasue of this clean hit in a split second didn't even skate right into Rinaldo but around him? I think you need to lay down your Coyote's goggles and outdated version of the NHL and realize that this is 100% on Rinaldo for seeing what just wasn't there.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It absolutely was not his best route. Skating past McKinnon on the other side away from Rinaldo was faster, easier and more direct.
To get to the left point? Stop being just plain silly, no one skates up the middle to get left.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So you believe that in a situution where the Avs player did not think there was any need to engage Rinaldo for the hit such as Johnson, Landescog, and Comeau, a young kid with zero physical parts to his game thought he just had to do something? And then the kid who felt he just had to engage becasue of this clean hit in a split second didn't even skate right into Rinaldo but around him? I think you need to lay down your Coyote's goggles and outdated version of the NHL and realize that this is 100% on Rinaldo for seeing what just wasn't there.
I think I just watched the play. I have zero loyalty to Rinaldo

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Me too and I see it completely different.
I'm legitimately surprised. I've seen this type of play hundreds of time and that route Girard took was consistent with someone intent on engaging. Each and every time.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The puck went right. He skated left. Not to the point either.
The puck is heading behind the Coyotes net, the left D man is heading for the boards at the left point. Explain to me if Rinaldo isn't there where you think Girard should be going?

Reactions: _Del_

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm legitimately surprised.
I can understand that but I now have the benefit of being able to watch the video over and over and know the history and demeanor of the person we are talking about(Girard). Like I said I know why Rinaldo thought the way he did but I believe his interpretation was 100% wrong and his actions deplorable.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The puck is heading behind the Coyotes net, the left D man is heading for the boards at the left point. Explain to me if Rinaldo isn't there where you think Girard should be going?
Backwards as the forward isn't forechecking. Puck is going to be turned over and iF you pinch you are 4 deep

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I can understand that but I now have the benefit of being able to watch the video over and over and know the history and demeanor of the person we are talking about(Girard). Like I said I know why Rinaldo thought the way he did but I believe his interpretation was 100% wrong and his actions deplorable.
and you realize Rinaldo didn't have that benefit of watching it over and over in slo motion. he doesn't know who coming at him. He just knows that given who he has hit and the force he hit him with that people are coming with ill intent.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and kbay

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Backwards as the forward isn't forechecking. Puck is going to be turned over and iF you pinch you are 4 deep
Who's talking about pinching? He is headed for the boards at the point, exactly where he should be. The forward is right on the D going behind net? You really need to take a better look at this play.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
and you realize Rinaldo didn't have that benefit of watching it over and over in slo motion.
I do, and I see that. But we don't let it go because of what he thought. I thought I scored doesn't give me a goal.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who's talking about pinching? He is headed for the boards at the point, exactly where he should be. The forward is right on the D going behind net? You really need to take a better look at this play.
It's a play that is already broken with MacKinnon not pressing. The play is to retreat/reset. The bee line he made isn't natural unless you wanted to engage.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
To get to the left point? Stop being just plain silly, no one skates up the middle to get left.
Left point makes the route he took even more circuitous than if it were the right point - he's going out of his way big time if he was heading for the left point.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's a play that is already broken with MacKinnon not pressing. The play is to retreat/reset. The bee line he made isn't natural unless you wanted to engage.
Oh well in that case all 4 Avs players were playing it wrong? I guess you play a different system than they do. Two forwards are chasing the puck and both D are heading for the points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad