Zac Rinaldo Suspended for 6 games

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Put me down for 10 games, he might not register as a repeat offender but It's hard to just ignore history.

Reactions: _Del_

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
rt (not Rick Tocchet) is fighting the good fight on this topic over on the main board. It's difficult to explain to many people that 1) Rinaldo's action was inappropriate and 2) Girard shouldn't have poked the bear in the least. Much like political discourse these days, these two concepts are treated as mutually exclusive; they cannot both exist at the same time.

Anyway, the over/under of 15 games sounds about right.

Reactions: Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
rt (not Rick Tocchet) is fighting the good fight on this topic over on the main board. It's difficult to explain to many people that 1) Rinaldo's action was inappropriate and 2) Girard shouldn't have poked the bear in the least. Much like political discourse these days, these two concepts are treated as mutually exclusive; they cannot both exist at the same time.

Anyway, the over/under of 15 games sounds about right.

Some of the response o the main board are laughable. "He's only a kid". Next thing they'll want is to have combatants do an ID check before dropping the gloves. :rolleyes:

I'm sticking to at least 10 games. He was given 5 the last time around and has a history. The only thing in his favor is he didn't go looking for Girard. Girard came up to him (looked at the video one more time again and noticed he actually went around McKinnon to get up to Rinaldo.)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Some of the response o the main board are laughable. "He's only a kid". Next thing they'll want is to have combatants do an ID check before dropping the gloves. :rolleyes:

I'm sticking to at least 10 games. He was given 5 the last time around and has a history. The only thing in his favor is he didn't go looking for Girard. Girard came up to him (looked at the video one more time again and noticed he actually went around McKinnon to get up to Rinaldo.)
Yes went up to him with both hands on stick and gloves on, hardly a combative approach. I understand why Rinaldo thought he was coming to fight, but Rinaldo was wrong. And he should pay a fairly heavy price for that.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes went up to him with both hands on stick and gloves on, hardly a combative approach. I understand why Rinaldo thought he was coming to fight, but Rinaldo was wrong. And he should pay a fairly heavy price for that.

Went up with both hands on his stick. Which could have been interpreted as an attempt to cross check him high.

Something to think about.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
"After careful consideration, Zac Rinaldo has been suspended for 10 games for his actions on Samuel Girard. In reviewing this play, we also took into consideration that Zac Rinaldo is a goon."

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
3. Should be 1 in order to avoid a mess up in idiot country next game. Girard went looking for trouble and found it. Lucky for him he doesn't have a concussion.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Went up with both hands on his stick. Which could have been interpreted as an attempt to cross check him high.

Something to think about.
Upon arrival there was zero indication that Girard wanted to fight, Rinaldo misead situation and the NHL can't and won't allow that kind if attack.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Upon arrival there was zero indication that Girard wanted to fight, Rinaldo misead situation and the NHL can't and won't allow that kind if attack.
I get Rinaldo is getting games here but just because he turned chicken shit at the last second doesn't mean Girard didn't go out of his way to skate up to Rinaldo. By going out of his way in what was perceived as a likely fight, Rinaldo started throwing.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I get Rinaldo is getting games here but just because he turned chicken **** at the last second doesn't mean Girard didn't go out of his way to skate up to Rinaldo. By going out of his way in what was perceived as a likely fight, Rinaldo started throwing.
Like I said, I get what Rinaldo was thinking.....but he was wrong.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I've watched this 20 times now, Rinaldo definitely overreacted. When he grabbed and punched Girard he was already skated past Rinaldo, he pulled him back and punched him. He has no defence here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Kid gave him a light push/crosscheck and skated past him. He wasn't squared up to him; he wasn't even looking at Rinaldo when Rinaldo grabs him and punches him. He's gone for 10+.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Girard shouldn't have been there. That doesn't excuse what Rinaldo did, however. Rinaldo should think before he acts. He didn't and he's going to be punished for it. He's going to lose at least 10% of his salary for the year, he lost his team the game, and he might have lost the confidence of his coaching staff. With the arrival of Archiblad, this couldn't have come at a worse time for Rinaldo who is hanging onto his NHL career by a thread. He won't get another chance on another team, if he can't keep his job playing for the worst team in the NHL.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I love the rough stuff, but this was stupid. If Girard was heading toward him with dagger eyes and challenging Rinaldo and he got himself punched before he dropped his gloves it'd be his own tough luck. I'd probably cheer Rinaldo.
He was skating past him, not even looking at him. I get what you're saying: maybe if Girard didn't love tap him, Rinaldo wouldn't have punched him, but that's inane. If Rinaldo pushed him back or slashed him as he skated by, it'd be a non story. Huge differences between those and clocking a guy who isn't even looking at you in the jaw.
The only thing dumber than Rinaldo was our broadcast crew trying so desperately to make excuses for him.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Under. Allthough he is a repeat offender, it was a while ago, long ago to be counted as ancient history. And the other guy skated up behind him and initated something. Does we know what G said? Is that on tape?

Even if Rinaldo overreacted, it wasn't totally out of the blue he was in fight-mode.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've watched this 20 times now, Rinaldo definitely overreacted. When he grabbed and punched Girard he was already skated past Rinaldo, he pulled him back and punched him. He has no defence here.

That's what I saw also. He turned a good play into a idiotic play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Girard shouldn't have been there. That doesn't excuse what Rinaldo did, however. Rinaldo should think before he acts. He didn't and he's going to be punished for it. He's going to lose at least 10% of his salary for the year, he lost his team the game, and he might have lost the confidence of his coaching staff. With the arrival of Archiblad, this couldn't have come at a worse time for Rinaldo who is hanging onto his NHL career by a thread. He won't get another chance on another team, if he can't keep his job playing for the worst team in the NHL.

I don't think Archibald poses any threat to Rinaldo, or anybody for that matter. We wasted a contract on him because he is fast, and we have him for another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad