Zac Rinaldo Suspended for 6 games

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
One less winger for a few (5-ish?) games....yet Duke will sit at least of a couple of those.

OH yes that's right. Almost forgot we got our new franchise savior Archibald to play those minutes now! His Stickiness per minute is one of the tops in the league. SO yea... Tocchet will continue to make crazy playing time/lineup decisions and the Yotes will continue to frustrate.

If not just Archibald I am sure they will call up Kempe or one of the others like that.

Reactions: Yandover

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
He was just behind the center line, the puck was heading behind Coyote's net, he skated towards boards at left point of Coyote's zone. That is exactly where he should be headed in that play if Rinaldo isn't present. He had to go left around McKinnon as that gives he quickest route to boards to stop puck if it is cleared around boards. Are you sure you watched the video?

I had been watching the Button clip on TSN. Now that I've watched the Sportnet clip I see your point. If he was indeed reacting to the play and the puck his path was consistent with what you've suggested. Having said that I'm still of the opinion the timing of Girard's interaction with Rinaldo led to ZR's reaction.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Realistically I know that Rinaldo deserves at least 5 games or so, but part of me wants him to not get suspended (or have his supplementary discipline be a paltry fine or only like 1 game) just to watch HF explode in a salt bomb.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I had been watching the Button clip on TSN. Now that I've watched the Sportnet clip I see your point. If he was indeed reacting to the play and the puck his path was consistent with what you've suggested. Having said that I'm still of the opinion the timing of Girard's interaction with Rinaldo led to ZR's reaction.
That is exactly how I see it. I understand why Rinaldo reacted but I also think he saw the situation wrong and over reacted.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really like Archibalds game so far. His speed adds something to our 4th line.

That's the problem. Archibald is not a NHL calibre player but has speed. I would like someone with a bit of hockey ability not a 25 yr. old player who has played like 16 games, yet we trade for him and RT gives him over 16 minutes his first game. That is not 4th line minutes, and is more than Strome ever got after tearing up the AHL. I have supported RT from day one, but man he is testing my loyalty. We don't need Rinaldo and we certainly do not need Archibald getting 16 minutes a night.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's the problem. Archibald is not a NHL calibre player but has speed. I would like someone with a bit of hockey ability not a 25 yr. old player who has played like 16 games, yet we trade for him and RT gives him over 16 minutes his first game. That is not 4th line minutes, and is more than Strome ever got after tearing up the AHL. I have supported RT from day one, but man he is testing my loyalty. We don't need Rinaldo and we certainly do not need Archibald getting 16 minutes a night.

Two questions Jakey...

How do you know Archibald isn’t NHL caliber after only two games??

And how can you say you’ve been supportive of Tocchet when you’ve been continuously pining about Dave Tippett and hinted more than a few times how the team would be better now with him still as coach??

cobra427

May 6, 2012
None of us know who should play and how many minutes. Those are coaching decisions made based on many factors. It would be great to give all players with offensive potential 20 minutes a night. The problem would be our GAA sky rocketing while they learn how to play in the NHL without the puck.

My problem isn't Strome/Duclair/Archibald/Rinaldo TOI or anything else I can micro manage from 30,000 feet. My issue is this team and the majority of the players are way under performing. It could be players are just a bad fit, the system, or what i think it is, coaching. Tocc and his staff are getting less with more so far.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
None of us know who should play and how many minutes. Those are coaching decisions made based on many factors. It would be great to give all players with offensive potential 20 minutes a night. The problem would be our GAA sky rocketing while they learn how to play in the NHL without the puck.

My problem isn't Strome/Duclair/Archibald/Rinaldo TOI or anything else I can micro manage from 30,000 feet. My issue is this team and the majority of the players are way under performing. It could be players are just a bad fit, the system, or what i think it is, coaching. Tocc and his staff are getting less with more so far.

Personally I think Archibald was brought in be the “weedwhacker”. In reference to Tocchet’s comment about weeding certain players out who aren’t buying in 100%.

Tocchet probably has first hand knowledge of his work ethic and wants that to impress it into the others. Either way he’s low risk with potential to get those players who are slacking off their asses.

And with Rinaldo headed to the press box cell block for a few games we don’t lose much in the energy department either.

Reactions: cobra427

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I know every situation is different, but here's a little history.

- Lucic suspended 1 game for punching 'unsuspecting' Connauton (Jan 24, 2016)

- Jordan Nolan was suspended for one game for his sucker-punch to the jaw of the Oilers' Jesse Joensuu (Mar 10, 2014)

- Prout gets one-game suspension for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Kucherov (Mar 15, 2016)

Seems a certainty that Rinaldo will get more than one game. Maybe the Thornton treatment:

- Shawn Thornton was suspended for 15 games without pay the NHL on Saturday for punching and injuring unsuspecting Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik (Dec 15, 2013)

-

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Two questions Jakey...

How do you know Archibald isn’t NHL caliber after only two games??

And how can you say you’ve been supportive of Tocchet when you’ve been continuously pining about Dave Tippett and hinted more than a few times how the team would be better now with him still as coach??

He is 25 and played a total of 16 games. Not only that, he comes here and plays 16 minutes his first game. Whatever happened to earning your minutes? As far as DT goes, you must be mixing me up with Cobra. I liked DT, but I don't think I ever said we would be a better team with him as coach, but now that you mention it, we sure the hell would be.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree, but Archibald is 25, small, and falls every time he touches someone, comes here and RT gives him 16 minutes his first games because he is fast. Strome never got those minutes, either did Merkley or Crouse when he was up, and I doubt Cousins or Rinald even got those minutes this year. We have Cousins, Rinaldo and now Archibald on this team who is trying to rebuild. You add in Richardson, Martinook who can at least PK and you have a disaster bottom six.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Personally I think Archibald was brought in be the “weedwhacker”. In reference to Tocchet’s comment about weeding certain players out who aren’t buying in 100%.

Tocchet probably has first hand knowledge of his work ethic and wants that to impress it into the others. Either way he’s low risk with potential to get those players who are slacking off their asses.

And with Rinaldo headed to the press box cell block for a few games we don’t lose much in the energy department either.

That is fine, then bring up players from Tucson and sit those players that are not performing. Who's job is Archibald going to threaten? Hell, while we are at it, let's bring up Kempe to add some energy. He's fast.

Reactions: Mosby

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He is 25 and played a total of 16 games. Not only that, he comes here and plays 16 minutes his first game. Whatever happened to earning your minutes? As far as DT goes, you must be mixing me up with Cobra. I liked DT, but I don't think I ever said we would be a better team with him as coach, but now that you mention it, we sure the hell would be.

So in other words your attempting to make a point by contradicting yourself.

That is fine, then bring up players from Tucson and sit those players that are not performing. Who's job is Archibald going to threaten? Hell, while we are at it, let's bring up Kempe to add some energy. He's fast.

Did you see where I mentioned work ethic???

Kempe had his chance. Strome had his chance. Merkley had his chance. Capo... etc. Now Crouse is about to get another shot.

None of them could hang at the level Tocchet expects because they aren’t here anymore. So they go out and pick up Archibald for a goalie they were never even going to allow on the ice in Tucson. And you got a problem with that??

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Our 4th line players are not the problem. The problem is that we have 5 of them in the lineup every night. Each of Martinook, Richardson, Archibald, Cousins, and Rinaldo is a fine 4th line player. If you're dressing more than three of them, you've got a big problem.

It's the same issue we've always had. We're missing 2-3 first line players and instead we dress 2-3 extra fourth line players to fill out the roster. It's why we've been the worst team in the NHL over the course of the last five seasons.

How much worse is Pittsburgh or Chicago if you replace Toews and Kane or Malkin and Crosby with Cousins and Martinook? Are they even playoff teams? I don't think so. It's because then their secondary offensive weapons become the primary D assignments for the opposition and no longer have the benefit of being sheltered by star players. Then the players behind them no longer benefit from trickle down and it snowballs throughout the lineup and you're left with a crap team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So in other words your attempting to make a point by contradicting yourself.

Did you see where I mentioned work ethic???

Kempe had his chance. Strome had his chance. Merkley had his chance. Capo... etc. Now Crouse is about to get another shot.

None of them could hang at the level Tocchet expects because they aren’t here anymore. So they go out and pick up Archibald for a goalie they were never even going to allow on the ice in Tucson. And you got a problem with that??

I'm not complaining about the trade, I'm complaining about another speed guy with no NHL talent coming in and getting minutes, big minutes, because he is fast. All RT is doing is punishing the kids, not the players who are not held accountable. Tell me, what players are "at the level Tocchet expects".

Reactions: RemoAZ

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
The decisions Tocchet makes with the line up just leave me at a loss. As rt mentioned above, if we are playing some of these 4th liners above their spots, it just affects the rest so negatively. Yet, it continues to happen over and over. If the team was winning I could at least say they have a reason for doing so. But, 8 wins vs 30 (THIRTY) losses speaks for itself.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm not complaining about the trade, I'm complaining about another speed guy with no NHL talent coming in and getting minutes, big minutes, because he is fast. All RT is doing is punishing the kids, not the players who are not held accountable. Tell me, what players are "at the level Tocchet expects".

Punishing the kids??

We’ve got the youngest freaking roster in the league, Jakey. We’re a team full of kids.

But you can’t have them all playing at the same time. You have to have veterans to put out there with them and unfortunately while some of them aren’t playing up to expectations they aren’t as easy to replace on a whim.

Come trade deadline we might see a few of them go, but right now we have to make do and hope they step up more.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The decisions Tocchet makes with the line up just leave me at a loss. As rt mentioned above, if we are playing some of these 4th liners above their spots, it just affects the rest so negatively. Yet, it continues to happen over and over. If the team was winning I could at least say they have a reason for doing so. But, 8 wins vs 30 (THIRTY) losses speaks for itself.
When the team doesn't have players that match up against other team's lines well would you rather have a 4th line plug get destroyed or a prospect that we have high hopes for get his confidence destroyed by being dominated? It's easy to complain why players are getting ice time they don't deserve short term but the reality is we need to try to protect our top young assets in the hope they continue to grow. Even in this dismal season. Personally I would have went the Toronto route of signing vets to one year deals to hold the fort and trade them for assets every Feb but maybe they couldn't get the vets to sign??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our 4th line players are not the problem. The problem is that we have 5 of them in the lineup every night. Each of Martinook, Richardson, Archibald, Cousins, and Rinaldo is a fine 4th line player. If you're dressing more than three of them, you've got a big problem.

It's the same issue we've always had. We're missing 2-3 first line players and instead we dress 2-3 extra fourth line players to fill out the roster. It's why we've been the worst team in the NHL over the course of the last five seasons.

How much worse is Pittsburgh or Chicago if you replace Toews and Kane or Malkin and Crosby with Cousins and Martinook? Are they even playoff teams? I don't think so. It's because then their secondary offensive weapons become the primary D assignments for the opposition and no longer have the benefit of being sheltered by star players. Then the players behind them no longer benefit from trickle down and it snowballs throughout the lineup and you're left with a crap team.

I agree, but in years past we did not have the young talent in the pipeline like we do now. I would rather have these kids learning and maturing than dressing these so called 2-3 extra fourth line players. If RT likes Archibald and wants to play him then he should replace another 4th line player. It's hard to make the NHL and it takes time so let's give these high picks some time this year and evaluate what we have.

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

May 13, 2004
We don't have better options at this point. Crouse-Strome-Merkley don't seem ready to make a difference in the top nine.

rt

May 13, 2004
When the team doesn't have players that match up against other team's lines well would you rather have a 4th line plug get destroyed or a prospect that we have high hopes for get his confidence destroyed by being dominated? It's easy to complain why players are getting ice time they don't deserve short term but the reality is we need to try to protect our top young assets in the hope they continue to grow. Even in this dismal season. Personally I would have went the Toronto route of signing vets to one year deals to hold the fort and trade them for assets every Feb but maybe they couldn't get the vets to sign??
Vrbata would've been great for this reason. I was disappointed they didn't even try to sign him.

Reactions: CC96

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Vrbata would've been great for this reason. I was disappointed they didn't even try to sign him.
I always think of guys like Winnik and Dom Moore and such. Pay them a little too much and send them along in Feb, give them some money and a chance at a Cup run. Repeat for a few years as our own grow into their roles.

Reactions: Mosby and SniperHF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad