Confirmed with Link: Zac Rinaldo Signed to 2 year Extension

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Realistically how many teams have a 4th line capable of taking a shift without being a total liability? St. Louis, LA and who else?

We don't have the depth in the organization at forward to make a 4th line like that until Laughton is ready. And even then most people don't want to see Laughton on the 4th line anyway.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Realistically how many teams have a 4th line capable of taking a shift without being a total liability? St. Louis, LA and who else?

Lots of other teams. Anaheim, Boston, Dallas, Rangers, Tampa Bay etc.

4th_lines.png

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Didn't hurt against Pitt a couple years back when we got them off their games for the entire series.
You mean the series where Rinaldo played all of about ~20 minutes over the course of 4 games? I think it had more to do with Giroux and Couturier getting in the heads of Crosby and Malkin because of how well they were playing against them head to head. I could be wrong though. Zac may have had some real zingers from the bench.

We don't have the depth in the organization at forward to make a 4th line like that until Laughton is ready. And even then most people don't want to see Laughton on the 4th line anyway.

There are a bunch of teams in the league that ice quality fourth lines. Chicago, SJ, Dallas, NYR (at least last year), Minnesota and Anaheim just to name a few more. The Flyers should aspire to be closer to that group versus the Calgary and Edmontons of the league.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
After sleeping on this I'm even more pissed than I was yesterday about this extension. I'm very disappointed the organization believes talentless pieces of **** like Rinaldo are useful to have in the lineup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You mean the series where Rinaldo played all of about ~20 minutes over the course of 4 games? I think it had more to do with Giroux and Couturier getting in the heads of Crosby and Malkin because of how well they were playing against them head to head. I could be wrong though. Zac may have had some real zingers from the bench.

Rinaldo played 19:44 spread across 4 games of the 6 game series, racked up 46 PIM, had zero points and was -2. But he did a great job protecting Couturier and Giroux from James Neal's elbows. :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because at this moment you are getting him below the NHL/AHL cap burying limit. There is almost no downside. And yes, as pointed out a few posts ago, his trade value has increased.

edit: I'm not a huge Rinaldo fan or anything. I just think some of you are freaking out for no reason. I freaked out when we signed Vinny, because the downside was very apparent. There isn't much risk here. It's really just whatever.

The risk is that Hextall just made it possible for Berube to use Rinaldo however he wants for the next 3 years. Since Berube has given us plenty of reasons to distrust him this isn't good news.

And I have no clue how this increases his trade value... why would a team want to be attached to a player like Rinaldo for 2+ years? This is the type of player you keep on a 1 year deal so you can easily discard him when you realize he's useless.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

There are a bunch of teams in the league that ice quality fourth lines. Chicago, SJ, Dallas, NYR (at least last year), Minnesota and Anaheim just to name a few more. The Flyers should aspire to be closer to that group versus the Calgary and Edmontons of the league.

Ok but again, who is going to play there instead? We don't have a plethora of young, competent, two way talent at forward coming up who are NHL ready. White is not an answer if you are going to argue that Rinaldo is a liability because of PIMs. Akeson doesn't have the 2way game to play on a 4th line. Leier? Cousins? They aren't close to being NHL ready and with the focus on developing talent under the new regime I just don't see it happening any time soon. We don't have the cap space to have the luxury of spending 4-5 million dollars on our 4th line.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok but again, who is going to play there instead? We don't have a plethora of young, competent, two way talent at forward coming up who are NHL ready. White is not an answer if you are going to argue that Rinaldo is a liability because of PIMs. Akeson doesn't have the 2way game to play on a 4th line. Leier? Cousins? They aren't close to being NHL ready and with the focus on developing talent under the new regime I just don't see it happening any time soon.

But Rinaldo does? :laugh:

People keep spewing this same **** about Akeson all the time. Does anyone take a second and think about what they're typing?

So Akeson doesn't have a good enough 2 way game to play on the 4th line? Who does then? Rinaldo? Rosehill? McGinn?

I swear people hear something one time and then they echo it without thinking about it.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
But Rinaldo does? :laugh:

People keep spewing this same **** about Akeson all the time. Does anyone take a second and think about what they're typing?

So Akeson doesn't have a good enough 2 way game to play on the 4th line? Who does then? Rinaldo? Rosehill? McGinn?

I swear people hear something one time and then they echo it without thinking about it.

Akeson will be in the top 9. He's not a Raffl or PEB, if he was on the 4th line you people would be *****ing about how he doesn't produce enough (because he doesn't have talent around him) and is abysmal defensively to boot. No I agree that Rinaldo Rosehill and McGinn do not either. And I agree that they cannot take a regular shift because of that.

I swear people read something one time and can't comprehend it then type something in reply without thinking about it. You picked out one sentence and didn't reply to anything else I said and you didn't even comprehend what I was implying about the sentence you chose to respond to.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Akeson will be in the top 9. He's not a Raffl or PEB, if he was on the 4th line you people would be *****ing about how he doesn't produce enough (because he doesn't have talent around him) and is abysmal defensively to boot.

We all watched Akseon play the Rangers in seven intense playoff games where he was going against their top line most of the time.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time...3_p&f2=5v5&f5=PHI&c=0+1+3+5+8+29+31+33+35+37#

This nonsense about him being terrible defensively doesn't fool anyone any more.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
We all watched Akseon play the Rangers in seven intense playoff games where he was going against their top line most of the time. This nonsense about him being terrible defensively doesn't fool anyone any more.

Oh jesus, again, yes he was playing with Couturier and Read. It's nonsense to think he would produce and be as productive defensively with inferior players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
When Rinaldo plays with Couturier and Read he looks lost defensively. Akeson didn't.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
And I have no clue how this increases his trade value... why would a team want to be attached to a player like Rinaldo for 2+ years? This is the type of player you keep on a 1 year deal so you can easily discard him when you realize he's useless.

You can still discard him anytime, even with a contract, that's my point.

The risk is that Rinaldo is once again a possession anchor on the 4th line, and instead of being able to put out a defensively sound 4th line against other teams scoring lines, we are again forced to overuse Giroux and Couturier on defensive zone faceoffs because Rinaldo's line cannot be trusted to get off the ice without conceding a goal.

I understand this. I miss a Blair Betts type 4th line as much as anyone. But getting guys like that on dirt cheap contracts isn't easy. We were fortunate to get him because people thought his injury was a career ender and he came here on a try-out. For the most part, you have to draft guys like that to have a cheap, defensively sound, 4th line. We all know, in the late 2000's drafting wasn't a priority here. We are paying for that now.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ok but again, who is going to play there instead? We don't have a plethora of young, competent, two way talent at forward coming up who are NHL ready. White is not an answer if you are going to argue that Rinaldo is a liability because of PIMs. Akeson doesn't have the 2way game to play on a 4th line. Leier? Cousins? They aren't close to being NHL ready and with the focus on developing talent under the new regime I just don't see it happening any time soon. We don't have the cap space to have the luxury of spending 4-5 million dollars on our 4th line.

Raffl, PEB and any of the many FA options that were out there for the taking. A Raffl-Fiddler-PEB fourth line would have legitimately interested me. And they combine for < 3 million in salary.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
When Rinaldo plays with Couturier and Read he looks lost defensively. Akeson didn't.

Are you now attempting to say that Rinaldo and Akeson are even remotely comparable as players? I don't even like Rinaldo. But the incessant "Rinaldo sucks, this contract sucks, we have so many players to play on the 4th line who can take a regular shift ahead of him, so we can be just like LA and St. Louis" is annoying. We don't have the offensive depth in our system to field a line like that. And we do not have the cap space to pay a line out of free agency like that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm saying that while Akeson is best suited on a secondary scoring line, he would be do better than 4 points, -13 and 29 minors if he was put on the 4th line and got the same ice time as Rinaldo.

Raffl, PEB and any of the many FA options that were out there for the taking. A Raffl-Fiddler-PEB fourth line would have legitimately interested me. And they combine for < 3 million in salary.

Raffl-Laughton-PEB with Rinaldo as the 13th forward is still a possibility. At least, I keep telling myself that.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
You can still discard him anytime, even with a contract, that's my point.

I understand this. I miss a Blair Betts type 4th line as much as anyone. But getting guys like that on dirt cheap contracts isn't easy. We were fortunate to get him because people thought his injury was a career ender and he came here on a try-out. For the most part, you have to draft guys like that to have a cheap, defensively sound, 4th line. We all know, in the late 2000's drafting wasn't a priority here. We are paying for that now.

Thank you.

Contrary to popular belief on this board, a player has to want to play here to get him to come here. It's not just hey the Flyers are making an offer I have to go there now... And throwing more money at him to get him here would blow up your point to begin with

Fiddler's been with the Stars for 3 years and re-upped with them for another 2. I doubt he even listened to another teams offer.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'm saying that while Akeson is best suited on a secondary scoring line, he would be do better than 4 points, -13 and 29 minors if he was put on the 4th line and got the same ice time as Rinaldo.

Neither you nor I can claim that as we have never seen it happen. In the two stints prior to last years playoffs he played on Girouxs line, then he played on our 2nd line for a playoff run and didn't seem out of place.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rinaldo's stat line was one of the worst in the league. I certainly can claim that a player who has proven to possess NHL-quality hockey sense and puck skills, and isn't completely undisciplined would do better than him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Thank you.

Contrary to popular belief on this board, a player has to want to play here to get him to come here. It's not just hey the Flyers are making an offer I have to go there now... And throwing more money at him to get him here would blow up your point to begin with

The Flyers have always been a FA destination. If they wanted to, they could have gotten a Fiddler type to come in, and for a decent price. Fourth line guys are going wherever they can get a job. They're not sitting there with a list of twenty offers when they go to FA. Even if they had to, they could have offered him another 250,000.00 over the Dallas offer and still been way below your 4-5 million dollar fourth line cap.

A fourth line of Raffl-Fiddler-PEB would have been damn close to the level of talent that we had on the fourth line in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad