Confirmed with Link: Zac Rinaldo Signed to 2 year Extension

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Doubt it. Berube loves Raffl and he'll likely but him in the top 9. I don't really care which goes where but Raffl probably has the advantage over Akeson in Berube's eyes.

And don't get upset because you got called out for saying something stupid. It just makes you look immature.

In fairness, Berube did play Akeson over Raffl in the playoffs so it's not like it's a given that a Raffl is in the top 9.

I am fine with Akeson with Couts and Read and then run with:

Belle Raffl White/Rinaldo on the 4th line until Laughton proves he is ready.

But on the flip side, they have talked how they could see Raffl as a 20 goal at some point, so who knows.

SgtJoseph*

It takes a lot of heart and courage to elbow a defenseless player in the head when your team has a 4-0 lead.

LOL..........I think we can use that type logic against a ton of players actually, they all have their moments .

SgtJoseph*

Not saying Scott is an accomplishment but just wanted to clear up that Zac Rinaldo is no John Scott...

Of the 15 games Rinaldo missed, Flyers won three: Sabres, Islanders, banged up Red Wings... Rinaldo comes back and they lose to one of the best teams in the league in Anaheim, then go on to win 6 of their next 7 games including LA and San Jose in California. He has some kind of impact on the team, whether it's in the dressing room or the team feeding off of his hits or on ice play, he's got an impact on this team, not a huge impact but it's not a coincidence either.

Well said........... stat freaks cannot even begin to understand it takes many different parts to make a TEAM . You can bet your bottom dollar that Zac fires up his mates and gives a little courage to them . Bob Hound Kelley was one of those types back in the day, he did not get lots of ice time BUT he certainly shook things up when needed, and like Zac he had good speed .I hated it when the Hound missed the first Cup due to injury, but he got the big goal to win the 2nd cup.......Loved it !

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Saying there was no alternatives is a piss poor excuse. As pointed out before there was a slew of players signed for cheap that are clearly better options. This Rinaldo-type-of-player favoritism has been going on for a long time now so it's not as if it's anything new either (granted, Hextall is).

Also, give me a break. Rinaldo was statistically one of the worst players league-wide last season and even with sheer eye tests and critical thinking skills he doesn't being anything other then fighting and hitting ability. You could put just about any NHL-fit body in his spot and chances are you won't have done any worse.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
In fairness, Berube did play Akeson over Raffl in the playoffs so it's not like it's a given that a Raffl is in the top 9.

Game 6 and 7 Raffl played on the top line after Berube finally came to grips that Hartnell was playing awful and that Lecavalier had to be stapled to the bench. Akeson did a fine job on the Couts line, though. I hope he gets another chance at it to start the season.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Well said........... stat freaks cannot even begin to understand it takes many different parts to make a TEAM . You can bet your bottom dollar that Zac fires up his mates and gives a little courage to them . Bob Hound Kelley was one of those types back in the day, he did not get lots of ice time BUT he certainly shook things up when needed, and like Zac he had good speed .I hated it when the Hound missed the first Cup due to injury, but he got the big goal to win the 2nd cup.......Loved it !

The Hound had two 20 goal seasons in his career (albeit one with the Caps) and another with 19. If my memory serves (and there's no guarantee that it does) I think Shero also used Kelly on the PK. He did more than just shake things up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I came up with another way this extension makes sense. They actually want to send Rinaldo to the AHL to play 15+ minutes a night and develop as a hockey player. But they feared he wouldn't clear waivers. So they tacked two years on to his deal to make Rinaldo a much less attractive waiver wire pickup.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
you know what juices a crowd just as much???

BIG hits n fights...

ladies n gentlemen i present to you, Zac-attack Rinaldo...

Not really, speaking as someone who is at the games.

Actually, we do, that's why we have stats to back up the evidence. Zac Rinaldo wouldn't be among the top 20 forwards for the Kings or Blackhawks.

Just curious here, if he was doing this job, then why did the Flyers no-show Game 1 vs. the Rangers.

Bob Kelly was a double-digit goal scorer, who hovered around 30 points most of his career. Don't even begin to start. Next you're going to tell me you walked uphill both ways to school in the morning.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I could see how people would defend Carcillo or Asham when they were here, they would at least give you around 10 goals a year give or take. They had some hockey skill.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

I am fine with Akeson with Couts and Read and then run with:

Belle Raffl White/Rinaldo on the 4th line until Laughton proves he is ready.

But on the flip side, they have talked how they could see Raffl as a 20 goal at some point, so who knows.

It's just different roles. They both played all 7 games against NY so I see no reason why they both wouldn't be on the Flyers roster come opening night.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Raffl seemed to get the shaft at times and at times got some of the best opportunities in the lineup. Sometimes he looked like more then a third liner, sometimes he looked like a but of a 3rd/4th line in-between. He's a quality player though and if guys like Rinaldo and Rosehill are here there's a massive problem if the likes of Raffl ever healthily sits.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I came up with another way this extension makes sense. They actually want to send Rinaldo to the AHL to play 15+ minutes a night and develop as a hockey player. But they feared he wouldn't clear waivers. So they tacked two years on to his deal to make Rinaldo a much less attractive waiver wire pickup.

This is an awesome rationalization. If only it had an ounce of possibility. :laugh:

SgtJoseph*

Not really, speaking as someone who is at the games.

Actually, we do, that's why we have stats to back up the evidence. Zac Rinaldo wouldn't be among the top 20 forwards for the Kings or Blackhawks.

Just curious here, if he was doing this job, then why did the Flyers no-show Game 1 vs. the Rangers.

Bob Kelly was a double-digit goal scorer, who hovered around 30 points most of his career. Don't even begin to start. Next you're going to tell me you walked uphill both ways to school in the morning.

This is hilarious ! Its quite amusing to me that you are telling me how many goals/points etc Bob Kelly had during his tenure,i was a big fan of his and am quite aware of all of this............My point was nothing more than pointing out that the Hound would go out and stir things up with the big hit, check, hard run to the boards etc which would fire the club up like Zac does with similar traits in his game......Of course Bob Kelly scored more, if it makes you feel good pointing that out to me so be it ! : ) . I walked Downhill to school..........Both ways.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
So far the only rationale I've seen for this signing is "he fires up the crowd". Let's all just ignore Rinaldo's hockey talent for a second.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is hilarious ! Its quite amusing to me that you are telling me how many goals/points etc Bob Kelly had during his tenure,i was a big fan of his and am quite aware of all of this............My point was nothing more than pointing out that the Hound would go out and stir things up with the big hit, check, hard run to the boards etc which would fire the club up like Zac does with similar traits in his game......Of course Bob Kelly scored more, if it makes you feel good pointing that out to me so be it ! : ) . I walked Downhill to school..........Both ways.

Well, you're obviously not aware of the differences between the two, so you needed to be told. No one here would have a problem with this if Rinaldo was a 25-point, plus-defensive player, but he isn't. He won't have 25 points over the next 10 years.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
This thread shouldn't be so divisive. Its just Zac Rinaldo getting a 2 year extension. You can easily have a 4th line with him on it that's formidable.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
This thread shouldn't be so divisive. Its just Zac Rinaldo getting a 2 year extension. You can easily have a 4th line with him on it that's formidable.

As an outspoken detractor of this contract, I do have to concede that your last point is true. Bellemarre (if he is what we think he is), Laughton, and Rinaldo isn't a bad fourth line at all, and it's likely one that can play not insignificant minutes. IF that it the fourth line that Berube and Hextall expect for next season, I can get on board.

Unfortunately, Rosehill is still a member of this team and White (who I don't mind in and of himself) is now here, so we are likely to have two of those three on the fourth line consistently. That makes a big difference, and I find the fact that it is even a possibility to have such a combination to be terribly frustrating.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

You could. I could wake up tomorrow and my lawn could be purple. The evidence shows that it is highly unlikely.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I would rather pay a hobo real money to chew of my toes than watch another second of Rinaldo getting minutes at nonsensical times. Berube shouldn't even have a chance to play this slob. The only thing he's good at is the thing least important for winning games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would rather pay a hobo real money to chew of my toes than watch another second of Rinaldo getting minutes at nonsensical times. Berube shouldn't even have a chance to play this slob. The only thing he's good at is the thing least important for winning games.

1388233381455.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad