Confirmed with Link: Zac Rinaldo Signed to 2 year Extension

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Rinaldo's stat line was one of the worst in the league. I certainly can claim that a player who has proven to possess NHL-quality hockey sense and puck skills, and isn't completely undisciplined would do better than him.

You have no idea how Akeson would perform on a checking 4th line without the handicap of have the 2 best defensive players on the roster playing with him. What if he has no chemistry with Raffl or PEB and we toss them out there like a regular line and they get lit up on the scoreboard and don't produce?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Akeson will be in the top 9. He's not a Raffl or PEB, if he was on the 4th line you people would be *****ing about how he doesn't produce enough (because he doesn't have talent around him) and is abysmal defensively to boot. No I agree that Rinaldo Rosehill and McGinn do not either. And I agree that they cannot take a regular shift because of that.

I swear people read something one time and can't comprehend it then type something in reply without thinking about it. You picked out one sentence and didn't reply to anything else I said and you didn't even comprehend what I was implying about the sentence you chose to respond to.

Oh really? Where's that? The top 9 will almost definitely be Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Umberger, Lecavelier, Simmonds, Read, and Raffl. Akeson won't be replacing any of them so he's either on the 4th line or in the AHL. If he was on the 4th line it would make the line usable because there would be a bit of skill there, especially if Bellemare is there too and he turns out well. Who cares if he doesn't produce a lot as long as the line doesn't look like a complete disaster, and there's no way it'd be worse with Akeson than Rinaldo. During the playoffs Akeson showed that he can create offense and that he isn't horrible defensively, so I have no problem with him being on the 4th line and I don't think anyone else would either (other than the clueless people who like tough hockey more than skilled hockey).

As for the rest of your post, I couldn't give a **** less. I was pointing out something dumb you said, which is something that I keep seeing on here. I'm not required to address everything you typed.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The Flyers have always been a FA destination. If they wanted to, they could have gotten a Fiddler type to come in, and for a decent price. Fourth line guys are going wherever they can get a job. They're not sitting there with a list of twenty offers when they go to FA. Even if they had to, they could have offered him another 250,000.00 over the Dallas offer and still been way below your 4-5 million dollar fourth line cap.

A fourth line of Raffl-Fiddler-PEB would have been damn close to the level of talent that we had on the fourth line in 2010.

Fiddler's been with the Stars for 3 years and re-upped with them for another 2. I doubt he even listened to another teams offer.

And oh really, no one wants these guys anymore right? That's why John Scott and Tanner Glass got the contracts they got? Or like Shawn Thornton? What about Dominick Moore? Or Steve Ott?

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
You have no idea how Akeson would perform on a checking 4th line without the handicap of have the 2 best defensive players on the roster playing with him. What if he has no chemistry with Raffl or PEB and we toss them out there like a regular line and they get lit up on the scoreboard and don't produce?

Rinaldo and his friends already got lit up and were one of the best in the NHL at getting lit up :laugh:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+RW&f7=40-&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#

Why not try something new?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Oh really? Where's that? The top 9 will almost definitely be Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Umberger, Lecavelier, Simmonds, Read, and Raffl. Akeson won't be replacing any of them so he's either on the 4th line or in the AHL. If he was on the 4th line it would make the line usable because there would be a bit of skill there, especially if Bellemare is there too and he turns out well. Who cares if he doesn't produce a lot as long as the line doesn't look like a complete disaster, and there's no way it'd be worse with Akeson than Rinaldo. During the playoffs Akeson showed that he can create offense and that he isn't horrible defensively, so I have no problem with him being on the 4th line and I don't think anyone else would either (other than the clueless people who like tough hockey more than skilled hockey).

As for the rest of your post, I couldn't give a **** less. I was pointing out something dumb you said, which is something that I keep seeing on here. I'm not required to address everything you typed.

Akeson will be in the top 9 this year coming out of camp and Raffl will be on the 4th line. The rest of your post sounds like a child throwing a hissy fit.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Raffl is likely the guy shunted to the 4th tbh:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Akeson
Bellemare-Raffl-Rinaldo

I think is at this moment in time the most likely starting lineup going off how I perceive Berube to think... he had Raffl at C quite a bit towards the end of the year, he is very competant on the dot as well, I doubt he will split up Read-Couturier or Giroux-Voracek... and I think Lecavalier stays at C after his wing disaster last season. If Laughton has a good camp he likely takes a spot on the 4th.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I think Raffl is likely the guy shunted to the 4th tbh:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Akeson
Bellemare-Raffl-Rinaldo

I think is at this moment in time the most likely starting lineup going off how I perceive Berube to think... he had Raffl at C quite a bit towards the end of the year, he is very competant on the dot as well, I doubt he will split up Read-Couturier or Giroux-Voracek... and I think Lecavalier stays at C after his wing disaster last season. If Laughton has a good camp he likely takes a spot on the 4th.

:handclap:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
For a lot of line ups now... does that mean Laughton will not play? I still think, even with this contract, Rinaldo should be our 13th forward. Platoon Raffl and Rinaldo.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Fiddler's been with the Stars for 3 years and re-upped with them for another 2. I doubt he even listened to another teams offer.

And oh really, no one wants these guys anymore right? That's why John Scott and Tanner Glass got the contracts they got? Or like Shawn Thornton? What about Dominick Moore? Or Steve Ott?

I never said no one wanted fourth liners in FA. I just said it wouldn't be impossible to find one for a decent price if the Flyers wanted to go that route. Raffl-Fiddler/Moore/Winnik/Goc/MacKenzie-PEB would instantly make our fourth line better. As it stands now, it's probably going to look like PEB-Raffl-Rinaldo. I know what group I would rather have for another $500,000.00 in cap space.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
For a lot of line ups now... does that mean Laughton will not play? I still think, even with this contract, Rinaldo should be our 13th forward. Platoon Raffl and Rinaldo.

I expect something along these lines (with proper adjustments for LTIR and the likes to get everyone under):

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Ryan White ($0.575m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.300m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m) /
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $74,224,762; BONUSES: $1,712,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): -$5,224,762

White, Rosehill, PEB, Laughton, and Akeson will be competing for the final three forward roster spots. I just put White and Rosehill in the lineup because they were there already, I am hopeful that Rosehill gets the boot and I am confident that Laughton makes the team. So really I think there are two spots up for grabs between White, PEB, and Akeson. Of those three I think Akeson will be one and the other is anybody's guess. I don't much about PEB or White so we'll see. They might give it to PEB if it is close just to see how he fares in the NHL so as to avoid losing him back to the SEL.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
You have to remember, White will be out for a long time with his surgery. I don't think Rosehill will even be on the Flyers, as in being put on waivers. I think Bellemare and Laughton make the team, and both I think would be too good to be stuck in the AHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If they didn't produce and got lit up on the scoreboard that would be the same as the 4th line from this past season than Rinaldo played on.

Rinaldo - 13, 4 ESP in 481:25
Hall -15, 7 ESP in 546:11
Rosehill -8, 2 ESP in 166:19

But at least they wouldn't take so many penalties.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Akeson will be in the top 9 this year coming out of camp and Raffl will be on the 4th line. The rest of your post sounds like a child throwing a hissy fit.

Doubt it. Berube loves Raffl and he'll likely but him in the top 9. I don't really care which goes where but Raffl probably has the advantage over Akeson in Berube's eyes.

And don't get upset because you got called out for saying something stupid. It just makes you look immature.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
You have to remember, White will be out for a long time with his surgery. I don't think Rosehill will even be on the Flyers, as in being put on waivers. I think Bellemare and Laughton make the team, and both I think would be too good to be stuck in the AHL.

I dont think they would lose Akeson on waivers just to keep Laughton up. I also dont see them sitting Raffl after his play and Rinaldo (sadly) since Berube likes him alot. I think it will be between PEB and Laughton and Laughton will really have to impress. I dont think if either of them outplay Rinaldo, even if by alot, would they sit Rinaldo. Rinaldo seems to be a daily lock no matter how he plays.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Huge over-reaction as per. He does a meh enough job, we can always waive him and someone will take him. Who knows? Maybe he'll return to the penalty-drawing effective fourth liner we once knew?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I dont think they would lose Akeson on waivers just to keep Laughton up. I also dont see them sitting Raffl after his play and Rinaldo (sadly) since Berube likes him alot. I think it will be between PEB and Laughton and Laughton will really have to impress. I dont think if either of them outplay Rinaldo, even if by alot, would they sit Rinaldo. Rinaldo seems to be a daily lock no matter how he plays.

I'm not saying to lose Akeson, I was saying Rosehill.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Vinny-Simmonds
Akeson-Couts-Read
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl
Rinaldo

Platoon Raffl and Rinaldo.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, I expect Raffl to be the center on the second PK unit. Him and Umberger killing penalties should be good; him and Laughton could be great.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Suggesting that Rinaldo is going be an extra forward at this point is extreme wishful thinking.

Raffl's also not getting the bump over two unknown's in Akeson, the Frenchy, & quite possibly Laughton since he can play center as well as both wing positions.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
First off this is the last post I make in this thread, I do not care about Zac Rinaldo, as I've said multiple times, enough to continue this nonsense.

I never said no one wanted fourth liners in FA. I just said it wouldn't be impossible to find one for a decent price if the Flyers wanted to go that route. Raffl-Fiddler/Moore/Winnik/Goc/MacKenzie-PEB would instantly make our fourth line better. As it stands now, it's probably going to look like PEB-Raffl-Rinaldo. I know what group I would rather have for another $500,000.00 in cap space.

Yes you did.
The Flyers have always been a FA destination. If they wanted to, they could have gotten a Fiddler type to come in, and for a decent price. Fourth line guys are going wherever they can get a job. They're not sitting there with a list of twenty offers when they go to FA. Even if they had to, they could have offered him another 250,000.00 over the Dallas offer and still been way below your 4-5 million dollar fourth line cap.

A fourth line of Raffl-Fiddler-PEB would have been damn close to the level of talent that we had on the fourth line in 2010.

Where does Vernon Fiddler come from? Does he magically appear in our lineup like we drafted him? Are we trading assets for a 34 year old 4th line C that Dallas has no intentions of moving as they just signed him to a 2 year deal? Are you going to pay Dominic Moore MORE then 1.5 million to center our 4th line? Because he wanted to be a Ranger and thats how much it cost them to sign him. Or pay Winnik MORE then 1.3 million? Thats how much his HOMETOWN Maple Leafs took to sign him. Goc 1.2 Million re-upped with Pitt. Mackenzie 1.3 Million are you saying we should have offered more?

They are all getting paid a lot more then we have in cap space to pay for one of them. And we would have had to of offered even more then what these teams offered to get them here. AND they would have actually had to want to come here. Moore, Fiddler, Goc, all went to the teams they were with already, obviously they didn't want to go anywhere else. Winnik went to go play for his hometown team, and maybe just maybe Mackenzie wants to play in Miami in a place where he might get more then your average 4th liners minutes. Regardless even if you could get one of these guys at their current cap hits I'm not even talking about you having to pay more to get one of these guys to pack up and leave their current situations, no just getting one of these guys here at their current cap hit. Bottom line is: We do not have the cap space to have one of them. Even at just half a million more then what Rinaldo makes. We cannot swing it.

If they didn't produce and got lit up on the scoreboard that would be the same as the 4th line from this past season than Rinaldo played on.

Rinaldo - 13, 4 ESP in 481:25
Hall -15, 7 ESP in 546:11
Rosehill -8, 2 ESP in 166:19

But at least they wouldn't take so many penalties.

I just don't see it unless Laughton is on the team, then Rinaldo can sit in the pressbox. But I don't think he makes the team and I don't think they want him on the 4th line when he does make it either.

Doubt it. Berube loves Raffl and he'll likely but him in the top 9. I don't really care which goes where but Raffl probably has the advantage over Akeson in Berube's eyes.

And don't get upset because you got called out for saying something stupid. It just makes you look immature.

We shall see then, I bet that Akeson is on Couturier's line at the start of the season and Raffl is getting 4th line ES minutes and a butt load of PK time.

And I'm not upset as you can quite clearly see from the majority of my posts. I responded to you attempting to belittle my intelligence, by claiming that I did not have my own thought process and simply echoed an unintelligent thought that I had heard "that one time", with a sarcastic jab back at you using the same nonsensical drivel that you spewed out at the end of your post. Then pointed out that you had not even replied to the rest of the argument and had not even comprehended what I had actually said in the one line you decided to reply to. Then you continued in your attempt to ridicule me by implying that I was clueless and only liked goon hockey, and I called you immature for doing so. Have a good day sir, I know I will.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I would have been fine swapping Rinaldo for one of them, but it should be noted that both players are making $500k more than Rinaldo. Also, just because players were available does not mean they would have signed here for the same contract...perhaps they would have wanted more, perhaps they would have taken less. But either way, I would have been totally fine signing either one of those players and having Rinaldo as either 13th or just gone. I'm not saying Rinaldo is better than those guys, just that he is fine for what he is.

Dude, Winnik (1.3m), Booth (1.1m), Stempniak (900k), Moss (800k), Santorelli (1.5m), McClement (1m), Fiddler (1.25m), Goc (1.2m), MacKenzie (1.3m), Moore (1.5m), etc. would have ALL been better purchases for the fourth line. I would have matched almost every single one of those deals. Every single one of those players provides better value/dollar than Rinaldo. I highly doubt we couldn't have gotten one of those players if we had offered an extra 100 or 200k per year. All it takes is one...

Yes, cap space is tight, but that money would be better utilized improving our fourth line than it would be allocated somewhere else in the lineup. Maybe adding McClement for 1.3m means not adding Ryan White. I'd say replacing Rinaldo with McClement is a much larger improvement to the lineup than having both Rinaldo and White.

The slight changes to these players does not indicate to me that he "makes other players worse" while he is with them. First of all, the guys with the biggest difference on offense played little to nothing with Rinaldo in comparison to the time without Rinaldo, and the others are defensemen. The guys that actually played with him the most didn't have a very drastic change on offense (Hall and Couturier actually faired better with him).
Come on, now you must be intentionally playing difficult.

"Slight" differences add up when EVERY player is affected.

And again, you have yet to address my main point-- take a guy like McClement, for example, on the fourth line instead of Rinaldo. That means Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Lecavalier, and Simmonds ALL get better match ups since the fourth line can now be matched up against opposing second lines. That would be improving their effectiveness even if they have no direct playing time with this player.

Also, Couturier did not fare better with Rinaldo. Look again. The only player that fared better with Rinaldo than without was Hall (and MacDonald in a small sample), but there is a very obvious explanation for that since Hall got significantly tougher matchups and zone starts without Rinaldo than he did when on the with him. Go figure, Rinaldo needs easy minutes. Shocker.

I'll repeat my main point again, just to get it across since it's not connecting-- it's not just about Rinaldo in and of himself; it's about what the presence of Rinaldo means for the quality of minutes for the rest of the team.

Good teams use their fourth lines constructively. They have fourth lines that free up easier minutes to their scorers. The Rangers had such a solid playoff run in large part due to a fourth line that was able to match up against tough competition. That allowed Zuccarello, Stepan, etc. to get easier minutes, and they produced. We need to be affording that same edge to our top six forwards. I'd love to hear your rebuttal to this point. I've been repeating it for months to people who subscribe to your line of reasoning, and have yet to actually get a direct response. I wonder why that is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad