Zac Rinaldo comparables

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Saying he more valuable than Steve Ott, is like saying urine tastes better than fecal excrement. They're both awful, and as a result does it really matter? And if it does matter, maybe look into a new hobby.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
In order for Rinaldo to reach Ott's current career total in goals of 105, if he where to maintain his current goals/game ratio, Rinaldo has to play 3015 games in his career.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In order for Rinaldo to reach Ott's current career total in goals of 105, if he where to maintain his current goals/game ratio, Rinaldo has to play 3015 games in his career.

When you account for physical decline with age, it might end up being more like 5000+.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
The kid who usually gets picked in spite of talent and b/c others feel sorry for him and on sports day in school always gets attention and the participation ribbon.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Not that he wouldn't have been scratched anyway, but the Flyers are earning points while he is suspended. Why they felt the need to sign him to an extension early and at a raise is beyond me?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not that he wouldn't have been scratched anyway, but the Flyers are earning points while he is suspended. Why they felt the need to sign him to an extension early and at a raise is beyond me?

They can just send him to the AHL at any point in the contract with no repercussions due to the AV being below the limit. But he is just a waste of a contract.

He better bloody well not get back in the lineup now his suspension is over... heck, the Flyers are on a 9 game point streak starting when he was suspended!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They can just send him to the AHL at any point in the contract with no repercussions due to the AV being below the limit. But he is just a waste of a contract.

He better bloody well not get back in the lineup now his suspension is over... heck, the Flyers are on a 9 game point streak starting when he was suspended!

But if he didn't try to end Kris Letang, who was obviously faking the injury into the next game, who knows what would have happened

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
The Rinaldo extension is the one complaint I have about Hextall so far, everything else has been great.

Does anybody else think that the Rinaldo extension was just Hextall preparing for an expansion draft? That way Rinaldo can meet the minimum games played requirement and Hextall can leave him unprotected and allow other (better) players to be protected?

It is really the only reasonable explanation I can think of for him to be resigned.

I mean, I made a bet with some friends at the beginning of the year, and we each had to pick 3 players who would score the fewest points while playing a minimum of 30 games. Rinaldo was my first selection without hesitation. I am going to win quite easily.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Does anybody else think that the Rinaldo extension was just Hextall preparing for an expansion draft? That way Rinaldo can meet the minimum games played requirement and Hextall can leave him unprotected and allow other (better) players to be protected?

It is really the only reasonable explanation I can think of for him to be resigned.

I mean, I made a bet with some friends at the beginning of the year, and we each had to pick 3 players who would score the fewest points while playing a minimum of 30 games. Rinaldo was my first selection without hesitation. I am going to win quite easily.

Or... ya know.... he could just not re-sign him and then we'd be rid of him without an expansion draft...

No idea what you're thinking here.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Or... ya know.... he could just not re-sign him and then we'd be rid of him without an expansion draft...

No idea what you're thinking here.

I mean if Hextall "knew" that two teams were going to be added for the 2016 or 2017 season and there was going to be an expansion draft.

Honestly, I have just been forced to really think outside the box to try and explain why Rinaldo was signed to that extension.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean if Hextall "knew" that two teams were going to be added for the 2016 or 2017 season and there was going to be an expansion draft.

Honestly, I have just been forced to really think outside the box to try and explain why Rinaldo was signed to that extension.

That still doesn't make sense. It's not like you have to pick a number of people to be available to be snatched up by expansion teams, you pick who you keep safe.

So, for example, in a scenario where we can only keep 3 players safe from being taken by expansion teams.

We re-sign Rinaldo:

Real hockey player (safe)
Rinaldo (NOT safe)

We don't re-sign Rinaldo

Either way we're keeping the good players...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hextall saw value in Rinaldo for whatever reason however the contract given out doesn't guarantee him a spot for good. He can easily be stashed in minors without any cap penalties.

The expansion draft really has no effect as the league gives enough slots to hold onto to your most valuable players. The draft is basically filled with marginal players who either are or aren't on bad contracts.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hextall saw value in Rinaldo for whatever reason however the contract given out doesn't guarantee him a spot for good. He can easily be stashed in minors without any cap penalties.

The expansion draft really has no effect as the league gives enough slots to hold onto to your most valuable players. The draft is basically filled with marginal players who either are or aren't on bad contracts.

He will be a Kansas Condor in 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad