Záruba: Czech NHLers do not avoid using drugs in summer

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Possession of marijuana was criminalized in Canada not too long ago - now we have weed shops popping up all over the place. "Witches" were burned alive because it was illegal to "practice witchcraft". Worshipping the wrong God(s) back in the day would give your head a permanent vacation away from your neck. Legality means sweet f*** all.

There is a difference between archaic laws of the land or of the mob then actual legal systems put in place to stamp out mob justice and witch burning. We have progressed a lot beyond that. The founding fathers of the united states understood human nature and slowly built a system where there is a lot of layers to a system where human trash can't abuse others and claim its their right. Granted there was slavery, there was other horrible things but overtime we improved as a people and society thanks to the laws that were put in place that was meant to move us forward as a people. We stumble sometimes and get things wrong, but in the end we got where we needed to go in terms of this supposed flawed legality you talk about.

The law works, wanna know why? Nobody is going to accuse you of being a warlock anymore, and nobody will raid your home because its your fault that you were so poorly defended. Complain about the system all you want, but it works. Nobody is going back to 1600.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I assumed the "drugs" in the title referred to PEDs, not cocaine lmao. I don't think there's many NHLers who partake in the summer who avoid it in the winter either.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Cocaine, who cares.
This is just me going off on a tangent, but I wonder how many people who use this stuff recreationally think about where this stuff comes from. More than any other substance I can think of, the trade of this specific narcotic results in some pretty nasty murders at a very high volume.

It triggers me a little bit when I hear '<sigh> cocaine, whatever'. This stuff gets into your hands 100% illegally through routes that people literally kill for.

Reactions: Franck

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
This is just me going off on a tangent, but I wonder how many people who use this stuff recreationally think about where this stuff comes from. More than any other substance I can think of, the trade of this specific narcotic results in some pretty nasty murders at a very high volume.

It triggers me a little bit when I hear '<sigh> cocaine, whatever'. This stuff gets into your hands 100% illegally through routes that people literally kill for.

this is simply an argument for legalization

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
By whom? The supply comes from a country that you wouldn't consider as one that has their shit together. It goes through another that is in similar shape.

Which a direct result of the country that demands their most profitable product creating a black market for it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My friend was raised that way too. He once noticed the Simpsons were on in the background so he blocked his face with his hands and said "I'm not allowed to watch that!" Lol still can't get over that.

Have to share this.

:laugh: your story reminds me of my 14th bday, 7-8 of us (all guys) walked down to Blockbuster, got the biggest/oldest looking guy of the group to pretend as an 18year old and we rented Striptease with Demi Moore.

One of the other guys snook a couple beers from his dad. We didn't tell our one buddy (very straight laced/religious) what movie we rented but soon as it got to a nude scene, that one friend immediately got up and asked to use the phone.

We later found out he called his mom to pick him up and she scolded the group of us like we just murdered someone.
He was never allowed over to anyone of our houses as she wrote everyone's name down on a piece of paper.

I felt bad for the guy as he was mocked for years.
We thought we were cool AF.
I miss the good ol days.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which a direct result of the country that demands their most profitable product creating a black market for it.
Black market or not, it's a product supplied by criminal organizations with deep ties into very corrupt local governments. Legalization would only increase demand. Increased demand would equal increased production, which would result in greater competition. That would only result in more violence.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
By whom? The supply comes from a country that you wouldn't consider as one that has their shit together. It goes through another that is in similar shape.

who's to judge who has their shit together? Covid has exposed plenty in that regards

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Black market or not, it's a product supplied by criminal organizations with deep ties into very corrupt local governments. Legalization would only increase demand. Increased demand would equal increased production, which would result in greater competition. That would only result in more violence.
Portugal laughs at yours and everyones face.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Portugal laughs at yours and everyones face.
This didn't address any part of my point that you quoted.

How would legalization in North America stop murders from happening in Mexico and Central America? The problem is the supply chain that illegal organizations will always have a pretty firm grip on. People don't use cocaine because it's illegal, they use it because it's enjoyable. How would decriminalization diminish the demand for a product that people can now use freely?

Kudos to Portugal. Has drug usage curtailed or are they just looking the other way?

Reactions: Franck

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Actually, more fans should care about player cocaine use. Any admission of use or possession is grounds for immigration issues. Players can lose their work visa or be barred from entering the US under secton 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Correcting this via the immigration waiver process takes 6-9 months.

(2) Criminal and related grounds

(A) Conviction of certain crimes

(i) In general

Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-
(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense) or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime, or
(II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 802 of title 21),

is inadmissible.

[emphasis added]

[USC02] 8 USC 1182: Inadmissible aliens

Some examples:

There are literally hundreds of immigration attorneys on even the most rudimentary google search explaining drug admissions are grounds for immigration trouble.

Nigella Lawson barred from boarding US-bound flight

LSD as Therapy? Write about It, Get Barred from US | The Tyee

Drug-tainted Toronto mayor wants to cross U.S. border to attend hockey game

Stranger Things star Charlie Heaton denied US entry over cocaine trace

I Got Banned From the U.S. When Airport Security Found My Coke Texts

Why would Kate Moss Have US Visa Problems?

Reactions: belair

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I would guess that about 25% of NHL players use "drugs" regularly, especially the ones who played in the NCAA

NCAA hockey players love cocaine, and a coke habit is hard to break even when you make the NHL

Weed is a total non-issue though. Glad society has begun to accept recreational marijuana use.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Actually, more fans should care about player cocaine use. Any admission of use or possession is grounds for immigration issues. Players can lose their work visa or be barred from entering the US under secton 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Correcting this via the immigration waiver process takes 6-9 months.

(2) Criminal and related grounds

(A) Conviction of certain crimes

(i) In general

Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-
(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense) or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime, or
(II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 802 of title 21),

is inadmissible.

[emphasis added]

[USC02] 8 USC 1182: Inadmissible aliens

Some examples:

There are literally hundreds of immigration attorneys on even the most rudimentary google search explaining drug admissions are grounds for immigration trouble.

So your point is that we should care because it could possibly mess up their immigration status??? You realize that this has no chance of happening with wealthy NHL players, if admitting to usage of coke got you kicked out of the country why is Kuznetsov allowed in North America?

If you care about NHL players doing coke it should be for their health/safety. Not immigration reasons lol

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
So your point is that we should care because it could possibly mess up their immigration status??? You realize that this has no chance of happening with wealthy NHL players, if admitting to usage of coke got you kicked out of the country why is Kuznetsov allowed in North America?

If you care about NHL players doing coke it should be for their health/safety. Not immigration reasons lol

Kuznetsov never admitted to using. the video cut off before he handled it. As for his test, he never admitted to cocaine use. He admitted to testing positive for a banned/prohibited substance. There are things on the banned list that are not controlled substances. Therefore that failed test and his statements about it are not admissions of use under US immigration law.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would guess that about 25% of NHL players use "drugs" regularly, especially the ones who played in the NCAA

NCAA hockey players love cocaine, and a coke habit is hard to break even when you make the NHL

Weed is a total non-issue though. Glad society has begun to accept recreational marijuana use.

What do you base this on (re: NCAA)?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This didn't address any part of my point that you quoted.

How would legalization in North America stop murders from happening in Mexico and Central America? The problem is the supply chain that illegal organizations will always have a pretty firm grip on. People don't use cocaine because it's illegal, they use it because it's enjoyable. How would decriminalization diminish the demand for a product that people can now use freely?

Kudos to Portugal. Has drug usage curtailed or are they just looking the other way?

You can make other drugs in your country in a government supervised lab. You can only grow coca plants in a narrow latitude in South America/Southeast Asia. Western countries can decriminalize it all they want, it won't change the fact that it requires modern slave labor under the threat of violence to grow the product.

Chocolate is legal and still runs on slave labor for the same reasons. We've just barely started to nag Nestle and co enough to look into maybe kinda improving some aspects of the production chain.

Reactions: belair

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
What do you base this on (re: NCAA)?

I didn't play but I went to school and was friends with many D1 players.

In America, especially at the more fratty schools, lots of kids, especially rich white kids, use coke all the time.

Most hockey players are rich, white, and love to party. Regardless if they are from Canada or USA

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad