Yzerman's Mistakes so Far (In Your Own Eyes)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Biggest mistake: not hiring myself, Bench, Jaster and Buttkrak to the coaching staff. We’d have taken this team to the moon!!!
And you all die. Guess Detroit would get Bedard...
Second biggest mistake: Not firing Blashill in that stretch of blowouts. Even if Lalonde was always the plan at the end of the year this team needed Blashill gone in 2019. An interim coach for 25 games would have been fine.
Agreed.
Third biggest mistake: Perlini was kind of doodoo.
Agreed
The only draft pick from Yzerman that I thought was kind of wasteful was Tuomisto in 2019.
Disagree. He was a standout prospect going the college route with a big frame and shot. Detroit took a swing, sometimes you miss.

I still think he might become something in a couple years, sign as a UFA.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Honestly I can't think of a real big mistake Yzerman has made. Not saying everything he has done worked out. If anything I would have tanked even harder and tried to take on some bad contracts for picks. I think we could have added to the rebuild if Chris would have opened the checkbook on a bad contract. But I don't know that it would have moved the dial and Yzerman tends to mitigate things that don't work like getting a pick for Leddy.

Blash was fine with me, when you are going to lose and lose hard it doesn't really matter who is steering. I couldn't get on the hate Blash bandwagon. I think he oversigned a little this offseaon but nothing that would ultimatly hurt too much if it didn't pan out so he was really conservative even though he signed a lot.

I am hoping that not trading Bertuzzi doesn't become a big mistake.

I don't know I just don't see much to complain about. Team is looking good.

Edit: also the Cossa-vs-Wallstedt thing, we have to wait to see how they both turn out. It is way too early to weigh in on this. Wallstedt over Cossa at this point is pure speculation. I am not taking anyone's fun or right away to do so, but let's be real, both of them are a year or 2 or more from an NHL game even.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
All those 10 goal games? You mean the one time it happened?

Who's second or third or eighth account is this?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Stevie should have. That's the mistake. He was available with the Buium pick or the one traded for Leddy, and the team needed centers. How nice would it be to have Larkin/Copp/Kasper/Raty? Raz and Veleno can be 4th line wingers at that point.

Some of us like the safer pick. They may both wind up being top end goalies. We'll just have to wait to see how this turns out.
If Detroit drafted Raty, do you think they would've picked someone other Kasper?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Blashill should have been gone years ago.

Other than that I was neutral on SY's moves. More good than bad on paper but the team seems to get worse and worse regardless. This upcoming season is the first time in years I legitimately feel optimistic for the Wings. I was going to sit out this season but SY's moves have intrigued me to at least tune in for the Fall and see how it goes.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't know what the alternative was for Yzerman other than going for it. And in terms of "going for it" his moves were still fairly conservative.

Otherwise you're looking at dumping everyone not named Seider, Raymond and Larkin to get a top 3 pick, and that's still probably not enough to out-tank Arizona and Chicago and whatever unexpected team sucks next season.

Yeah, but if we get rid of everyone good, we can draft more guys that may or may not be good and feel better about the future or whatever! Then we can brag about how stocked our prospect pool is, and how one day we will maybe be really really good.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, but if we get rid of everyone good, we can draft more guys that may or may not be good and feel better about the future or whatever! Then we can brag about how stocked our prospect pool is, and how one day we will maybe be really really good.
Nice! That plan has a 17 percent chance of amazing success! (Even though half of all statistics are made up.)

• Haha
Reactions: Oddbob and Snuggs

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Cossa looks like dogshit. Don't have much other criticism because most of his other moves have involved low value draft capital, prospects, or players, and the outcome of losing any of those moves is rather unimportant so I won't dwell on whether or not we lost some trade involving a fourth round nobody.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Nice! That plan has a 17 percent chance of amazing success! (Even though half of all statistics are made up.)
dont-believe-the-meme.jpg

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Cossa looks like dogshit. Don't have much other criticism because most of his other moves have involved low value draft capital, prospects, or players, and the outcome of losing any of those moves is rather unimportant so I won't dwell on whether or not we lost some trade involving a fourth round nobody.
16-3 sub 2 GAA .920 SV 5 shutouts in the WHL Playoffs, when it mattered the most… if that’s s*** we are in great shape

Last edited by a moderator:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Biggest mistake was the Perlini trade.. He was hot trash but also, you need to take a few risks. And not every prospect works out, and only so many development spots.. Can't question his drafting really and free agency this year was needed. You can't continue to lose and expect your few core players to want to stick around and sign decent deals. The locker room and attitude had to change.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Cossa. Kid was kinda carried by a stacked Edmonton team. Remove that, and his performance is A LOT worse

what performance? you're pretty much talking about a handful of scattered single game or almost single game appearances half a year apart and mostly in camps and a tournament taking place in the middle of the offseason

it's fine if you don't like Cossa but it's silly trying to read much into something like that

we'll see how he does when he hits the AHL

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Detroit drafted Raty, do you think they would've picked someone other Kasper?
I would have leaned harder towards Savoie if the team had Raty because he might wind up being a winger, but top 10 picks are usually BPA except for Arizona. So if they felt Kasper was BPA, I don't think it would have changed. Centers can play wing, having too many is never a concern.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don’t know if I’d call it a gamble or a failure. It cost a prospect not expected to sniff the NHL, at least in any meaningful way. Gamble and Failure connotes risk or consequences. Neither is really applicable.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Ahem. To the tune of
========================

Fight!
Skate!
Fight!
Skate!

What would Stevie Yzerman do
If he was here right now?
He'd make a plan, and he'd follow through,
That's what Stevie Yzerman'd do!

When Stevie Yzerman was in the Olympics
Skating for the gold,
He got five hat tricks and two shutouts
Wearing a blindfold

When Stevie Yzerman was in the West
And travel was a pain,
He taught Sergei all that he knows
While piloting the plane

So what would Stevie Yzerman do
If he was here today?
I'm sure he'd kick an arse or two,
That's what Stevie Yzerman'd do!

When Stevie Yzerman travelled through time
Back to 1997,
He fought Mark Crawford with half his leg
And sent him straight to heaven

And when Stevie Yzerman built the LCA,
He beat up Patrick Roy,
'Cause Stevie Yzerman doesn't take shit from anybody!

No, Stevie! Those chicken wings are really spicy! Don't eat those!
I've never seen a man eat so many chicken wings!

Stevie Yzerman was born
On the planet of Kryluck
He came to earth to save us all
From war and death and such!

Hi de lo de hi de lay!
Stevie Yzerman's here!
So round up all your lasses,
And tell them to have no fear!

Say, come over here my honey,
And you're gonna take off my pants,
And I'm gonna make dirty love to you,
'Cause that's what Stevie Yzerman'd do!
'Cause that's what Stevie Yzerman'd do!

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hockey is much faster now, than it was 15 years ago. St Louis, Tampa x2, Colorado and LA Kings 2012 & 2014, all of them had 3 lefties on the left side and 3 righties on the right side. Chicago 2010, 2013 and 2015 had the players to have 3 and 3 but they used LHDs on the right side. And team Canada in the Olympics as well.
Hell the Bolts went to the finals 3 years in a row and they had 3 lefties and 3 righties.

Now you are compering a winger to a defenseman, their jobs are bit different. D to D pass is much easier and more simple to make, when LHD plays on the left side and RHD plays on the right side. Same thing goes for clearing the puck when the LHD is on the right side, there is much bigger chance that he has to clear the puck using his backhand and vise versa. And now since NHL is getting faster and faster, there's no room or time for mistakes.

But of course d-men can play on the wrong side, otherwise they would never make it and it's not easy to get 3 and 3. Specially when 2 of them supposed be top-3 d-men in the league, so then naturally somebody has to play on his wrong side. And if the team has more lefties than righties or vise versa, same thing. As for Wallinder, im sure that he will play on the left side and that is where he is most comfortable.
Thanks for carrying one of my favorite torches of the past several seasons haha. You've covered the main points, and they are all correct.

Regardless of how comfortable Wallinder, or any other defenseman, is on their off-side, there are very few NHL defensemen who are actually better on their off-side. It's become more and more rare, and there are a scant handful in today's NHL who have any business playing their off-side (outside of a need based on the roster).

And Wallinder will not be one of those players. He's too long, and the puck is too much of a hand grenade for him in his own zone. He'll regularly get eaten up in the big league on his off-side, and so the sooner he gets regular reps on the left side, the better for his development.

Wingers playing their off-side is a completely different discussion (you want certain wingers playing their off-side, it opens up offense and shooting angles).

Reactions: SantosHalper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad