Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yzerman is far more competent than Holland, but he is still going to have to deal with the fact that his team plays in Detroit. There are no hometown discounts or wanting to come home. A lot of people who grow up here can't wait to leave and don't want to come back. Not all, but a lot. The fact that the NHL has become a league that allows players to dictate trade destinations hurts the Wings in a major way. Better hope the team gets lucky in the draft the next few years.

I don't agree with the sentiment of players not wanting to come here. When we were a winning team, guys loved the thought of coming here and definitely did want to come here, and if/when we start winning again, players will want to come here once again. NY may be more desirable even when not competitive, but winning teams draw plenty of interest and right now, we aren't there yet.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It feels like Yzerman's first move was consciously deciding to play for a lottery pick next year. He's kind of said as much in every interview discussing the future, and he's been absent in the big name market.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Agreed... he's starting to come off as a prima-donna. If his last name was Federov or he had a Hart trophy on the shelf sitting next to his cup ring and other hardware, his attitude would still be difficult for most here. With the hate that still persists for Federov on this forum, it's probably best the Wings didn't give up healthy futures to bring in that sort of circus.

All that said, I'm not sure how much I believe about any of this. Trouba has said or been linked to a couple of troubling things, but my distrust for media makes me skeptical.
Personal decision for Trouba: Jets weren’t the issue for departing defenceman

Informative article in the Winnipeg Sun about Trouba's position. Hearing his side of it it's all understandable to me. There were many factors and another human being was one of them. It just so happens that playing in Canada was problematic for them as a couple and being in the US will be much easier to manage both of their dreams and aspirations. Can't fault the guy for that. In fact, if you believe he's sincere as I do, this speaks very highly of his character.

Her career is as important as my career. We both are passionate about different things and our goal from a couple of years back was we wanted to make this work. And we decided we wanted to make this work. This is part of it, to be realistic with you.
“From a life standpoint, that’s what I decided in the end. I’m going to marry the girl and I want her to be happy and for her dreams to be fulfilled. She’s worked extremely hard to get where she is with schooling and the time she’s put in. I want her to see her be successful just as much as I want to be successful.

Sounds like a pretty stand up guy to me. He was caught between a rock and a hard place in Winnipeg, it is what it is.

But in all the tweets and news articles following the trade, I haven't seen any evidence/suggestion that NY was the only destination he'd consider. The affluent areas of Michigan are a great place for a doctor to practice. Given the tidbits of information we have gotten, I'd speculate that his destination list would have been limited to Detroit, NY, and Florida, given his connections to all 3 places.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I don't agree with the sentiment of players not wanting to come here. When we were a winning team, guys loved the thought of coming here and definitely did want to come here, and if/when we start winning again, players will want to come here once again. NY may be more desirable even when not competitive, but winning teams draw plenty of interest and right now, we aren't there yet.

It's a lot harder to build a winning team in the current environment. The salary cap leveled the playing field, which screwed over Detroit since there is a long history of Detroit teams having to overpay in FA across all sports. Like I said, unless Detroit drafts into a winning roster it's gonna be really hard to build.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
But posters here say no chance he makes it to free agency

Posters here said he'd go for like four pieces.

And frankly, I don't actually think he'll go UFA. I'm kinda hoping so, because I really like Trouba and want him to be a Wing. However, I'm not assuming that he's just going to re-up with New York because he says he likes it there. Guys lie about that crap all the time. Or rather, say it, probably mean it, but change their mind when the money starts calling.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Personal decision for Trouba: Jets weren’t the issue for departing defenceman

Informative article in the Winnipeg Sun about Trouba's position. Hearing his side of it it's all understandable to me. There were many factors and another human being was one of them. It just so happens that playing in Canada was problematic for them as a couple and being in the US will be much easier to manage both of their dreams and aspirations. Can't fault the guy for that. In fact, if you believe he's sincere as I do, this speaks very highly of his character.

Sounds like a pretty stand up guy to me. He was caught between a rock and a hard place in Winnipeg, it is what it is.

But in all the tweets and news articles following the trade, I haven't seen any evidence/suggestion that NY was the only destination he'd consider. The affluent areas of Michigan are a great place for a doctor to practice. Given the tidbits of information we have gotten, I'd speculate that his destination list would have been limited to Detroit, NY, and Florida, given his connections to all 3 places.

God damn, I'm pissed we didn't land Trouba. He seems like a solid character guy who is good at hockey, who was dealing with the realities of working in a different country than his girlfriend trending towards fiancee then wife.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
God damn, I'm pissed we didn't land Trouba. He seems like a solid character guy who is good at hockey, who was dealing with the realities of working in a different country than his girlfriend trending towards fiancee then wife.

Not everything I have heard on him is that complimentary....

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Someone on Reddit did a nice writeup on of Yzerman's talk at the season ticket holder event held at LCA last night:

The draft is a LOT more difficult for draftees now than it was when he was drafted
In 1983, you didn't see your scouting reports and highlight videos blasted all over social, broadcast, and print media. Draft boards weren't really a thing, and the amount of fanfare that happens at the draft now is way beyond anything you had happen prior. He said prior to the draft, Jimmy Devellano came up to him and said he was rated #4 on their draft list, and when pick #4 came, they picked him. It took 10 minutes from the start of the draft to his name being called. He got up took a picture, and then they went off to finish the draft.

Noted the pressure was a lot less, and the expectations were a lot lower. Says kids now have a LOT of pressure put on them. Noted that most people when he was drafted most people probably couldn't spell his name if they heard it, or pronounce it if they read it. Now you know everything about these guys.

This team needs to be built through the draft.
Mentioned the 10 picks we have in this draft, and that his approach will be "best prospect available" for most of their picks. Noted that aside from maybe the top 2 picks, these guys likely won't see NHL ice time this year. Noting that most prospects take 4-5 years of development to turn into "players".

He doesn't have a specific ratio of positions he's going to try and fill, but noted that he probably won't pick 10 goalies.
With soon to be 32 teams, "Team changing" Free-Agents don't come up often, and when they do, they're going to be expensive. Especially with the extra year being available on a contract for a player sticking with his current team. With the salary cap especially, players are more willing to stay in Canada, than come to the big money US based teams. The salary cap puts all teams on an even footing.

Was asked about his time keeping high value FA's in Tampa, and mentioned that they were players that bought in to what they were doing, and were willing to stick with the team in order to keep the momentum going.
Development camp that starts in a couple weeks is more of an educational "this is how we do things in the Red Wings Organization" than a strength and conditioning camp. This is the camp Danny Cleary runs.

He Believes we have the start of a team "nucleus"
The team has a lot of young talent that took a step forward this year. Specifically mentioned Larkin transitioning from a "good young player" to a "leader" and "one of the better players in the League". Also mentioned Athanasiou, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Hronek as guys that took a step forward. Says he has high hopes for Cholowski, Rasmussen, and Zadina, specifically. Didn't mention Veleno, but I didn't read into that.
Says he doesn't think we've formed a "Team Nucleus" yet, but there's no set number of guys you need to form one. One of those "you know you have one when you have one" type things.
He's talked to a few of the guys, but not everyone. Mostly guys that have been in and out of the building, and a few of the vets on the phone or through texts.

We're not getting the band back together
Aside from the former players that are working with the organization, he doesn't really keep in constant contact with most of the alumni. He won't hire former players just because they played together. They have to have a hockey mind, and be willing to work. Still talks to Shanahan occasionally to pick his brain. It also seems like he's trying to separate his time here as a player, from his time here now as a GM. Doesn't want to be seen as a "savior", as he thinks the team is already on the right track, and that Kenny left him in a good spot.

There's no timeline on the rebuild
Reiterated that it can take 4-5 years to develop a player, and joked that it took him 14 years to win a cup as a player. He's trying to keep everyone from getting their expectations up, too early.

He talked about how his desire to come back here was predicated on his desire to live back up here with his family. Said it's already a job that keeps you on the road most of the year. His job in Tampa, the farm team in Syracuse, and his family in Detroit; plus scouting trips around NA and to Europe left him too much time away from his wife and girls. Said even if he wasn't offered the GM position with the Wings, he wasn't going to remain the GM of Tampa.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I wonder if the salary cap being lower than originally thought will help Yzerman make a move, such as picking up a Ryan Callahan + 1st for our two late 2nds or something like that

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Would definitely be interested in taking Marleau's contract for Kapanen if that became a possibility. Then retain some salary and flip him to SJ for another asset.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Would definitely be interested in taking Marleau's contract for Kapanen if that became a possibility. Then retain some salary and flip him to SJ for another asset.

Meh... I am not buying out Marleau. You would need to get Kapanen under contract too, so not sure what that comes to. But if Marleau wants to come here the best he is getting is waived to trade him at 50% and my guess is the Sharks cannot absorb him at 3.125, so that is a pass. I don't think we should be buying out Marleau or Callahan the often talked about cap dumps. They can either play here or not, but I am not putting their contract on our books for more than a year. But that is just my position on it.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It feels like Yzerman's first move was consciously deciding to play for a lottery pick next year. He's kind of said as much in every interview discussing the future, and he's been absent in the big name market.
That's what I thought when he said he would re-sign Kronwall if he decides to play another year. Tank.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
That's what I thought when he said he would re-sign Kronwall if he decides to play another year. Tank.

No. Yzerman would sign Kronwall for another year if he wanted because Kronwall at a deal closer to the league minimum as a #7 D would be a great guy to have around. Signing or not signing him is not remotely indicative of anything. He might be okay with taking an L this year, but nothing they're doing with Kronwall is indicative of anything in that vein.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Meh... I am not buying out Marleau. You would need to get Kapanen under contract too, so not sure what that comes to. But if Marleau wants to come here the best he is getting is waived to trade him at 50% and my guess is the Sharks cannot absorb him at 3.125, so that is a pass. I don't think we should be buying out Marleau or Callahan the often talked about cap dumps. They can either play here or not, but I am not putting their contract on our books for more than a year. But that is just my position on it.

would Marleau even be on the cap beyond next year if he was bought out?

this has his 2020-21 cap hit at $0

Patrick Marleau Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No. Yzerman would sign Kronwall for another year if he wanted because Kronwall at a deal closer to the league minimum as a #7 D would be a great guy to have around. Signing or not signing him is not remotely indicative of anything. He might be okay with taking an L this year, but nothing they're doing with Kronwall is indicative of anything in that vein.
First of all, I was half joking.

You state things like you know Stevie and Kronwall personally, which I'm sure you don't. I seriously doubt Kronwall comes back for anything close to league minimum or a 7D spot. If he's back, he'll want to play. That is my opinion, we'll see what happens over the summer.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
First of all, I was half joking.

You state things like you know Stevie and Kronwall personally, which I'm sure you don't. I seriously doubt Kronwall comes back for anything close to league minimum or a 7D spot. If he's back, he'll want to play. That is my opinion, we'll see what happens over the summer.

What? What about my post acted like I knew them personally? I was saying that he'd bring Kronwall back because Kronwall for being old and slow is still an okay defenseman at the bottom of a D rotation. And that if he were to be brought back, it would be a cheaper deal rather than an extension of his 4.75M contract.

And if he signs Kronwall, it's not because he's tanking a season, but because he thinks Kronwall can still play reasonably well or be a good mentor at least. That is literally all I was saying. Kronwall being brought back or being able to retire is in no way an indicator that the Wings are punting the season. If he's signed, it's because Yzerman and the rest of the management team think he's useful. If he's not, it's because they think he isn't.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What? What about my post acted like I knew them personally? I was saying that he'd bring Kronwall back because Kronwall for being old and slow is still an okay defenseman at the bottom of a D rotation. And that if he were to be brought back, it would be a cheaper deal rather than an extension of his 4.75M contract.

And if he signs Kronwall, it's not because he's tanking a season, but because he thinks Kronwall can still play reasonably well or be a good mentor at least. That is literally all I was saying. Kronwall being brought back or being able to retire is in no way an indicator that the Wings are punting the season. If he's signed, it's because Yzerman and the rest of the management team think he's useful. If he's not, it's because they think he isn't.
That's the whole thing, he's only useful if Yzerman doesn't plan on pursuing a trade or UFA d-man. If Kronwall is an option, that smells of a tank. The left side winds up being Ericsson, Daley, Kronwall with Cholo as a possibility. Does that sound like a playoff lineup?

Let's face it, he's slow and not really a good option even as 7D if the team has any playoff aspirations.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That's the whole thing, he's only useful if Yzerman doesn't plan on pursuing a trade or UFA d-man. If Kronwall is an option, that smells of a tank. The left side winds up being Ericsson, Daley, Kronwall with Cholo as a possibility. Does that sound like a playoff lineup?

Let's face it, he's slow and not really a good option even as 7D if the team has any playoff aspirations.
Kronwall is a very useful player in that capacity. You could visually see him helping Bowey's game when they were paired together. It may be a status quo move, but I wouldn't call it a tank move. A tank move is letting Kronner walk, resigning Jake Chelios and gifting him a NHL roster spot while Hronek develops in the AHL.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kronwall is a very useful player in that capacity. You could visually see him helping Bowey's game when they were paired together. It may be a status quo move, but I wouldn't call it a tank move. A tank move is letting Kronner walk, resigning Jake Chelios and gifting him a NHL roster spot while Hronek develops in the AHL.
Let's not be ridiculous, no GM is going to take an NHL capable player and put him in the AHL for a tank. It's bad for his development.

Signing McIlrath and opening the possibility to sign Kronwall is not how you build a Cup team. Whether you want to call it a tank or not, it certainly appears that Stevie does not have the intention to compete for a playoff spot this upcoming season. BTW, the status quo is 4th worst team in the league, or did you forget where the team finished?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Puljujarvi just told Edmonton trade me or I'll go to Europe. I wonder what the price would be? Also that's a gangster rebuttal from Holland lol!

"At the end of the day, if you can do a deal that makes sense for the Edmonton Oilers, you do it," said Holland, who spoke on Wednesday morning with Lehto. "If you can’t, you go over (to Europe) and watch him play, and hopefully he scores a lot of goals over there."

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Puljujarvi just told Edmonton trade me or I'll go to Europe. I wonder what the price would be? Also that's a gangster rebuttal from Holland lol!

"At the end of the day, if you can do a deal that makes sense for the Edmonton Oilers, you do it," said Holland, who spoke on Wednesday morning with Lehto. "If you can’t, you go over (to Europe) and watch him play, and hopefully he scores a lot of goals over there."

:laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Holland has never struggled with RFAs, even most of the people that grew tired of Holland would generally applaud his RFA deals. Tough spot for Pool party. I would be interested in giving him a shot, but the return for the Oilers would be pretty bad. His injuries aren't exactly brush aside problems either, I would want his medical seriously scrutinized by our doctors.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Put Toronto's 2020 1st on the table and I'll do whatever Marleau wants. Everything has a price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad