Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
This Trouba situation is getting pretty weird...

Better offers, not allowing teams to talk to him... shady

I don’t blame Yzerman if he took his hat out of the ring to be honest, we’re not in a situation to gamble in our stage of the rebuild. I was in the camp of really liking Trouba and was okay to see a heavy offer get thrown out there but starting to sound, shady and weird.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If true, then yeah. Like was it to spite the other teams or something? Why would you not take the best offer? Shady behind the scenes deals is my guess.... again, if true.

or maybe they just really like Neal Pionk

just because another GM thinks their offer was better doesn't mean Winnipeg has to agree

Reactions: avssuc and Oddbob

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

just because another GM thinks their offer was better doesn't mean Winnipeg has to agree

I'd like to see what some of the other offers were.

I'd REALLY like to see what Detroit offered.

But at the end of the day we still have a lot to be excited about, so I'm not too upset.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

My conspiracy theory is that the Wings along with other teams didn’t want to give up anything massive (including their 1st round pick) because they would chance him becoming a UFA. So, Winnipeg took their best offer know they weren’t getting much more. I find it hard to believe that this is all they could get. I think Trouba won’t sign an extension and that’s when Yzerman will make his move.

Oh and I’m dreaming, yes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What it looks like to me is Chevy had a boner for getting a 1st round pick and they probably see more in Neal Pionk than is there.

And if the deal was like Cholo + 35 + something else, they figured Cholo was further away from being a useful player (even though his ceiling is much higher)

I'm just so damn pissed about this, because it reeks of another time where the price that someone else pays is WAY WAY less than Detroit is being asked to pay. Like the Jaybo situation where he went to St. Louis for piddly **** and we were asked for our top two prospects at the time.

Reactions: mantha39

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That is a surprising return for Trouba but time will judge how it turns out. There is something shady about the trade the WPG GM probably gave each GM a prospective deal and it included picks and players Yzerman didn't want to part with. Just because the deal they accepted only had a few pieces doesn't mean that the deal WPG demanded of Detroit didn't contain more. And either Yzerman pulled it or they didn't accept it. I don't feel upset in the least. Remember if Holland were still here all we would have got was kicked tires.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Remember he is not a free agent he is RFA. To sign an RFA like him away from another team would be a king's ransom.

What this smells like to me was that he told WPG he will not re-sign, and he told NY he would re-sign. He probably told Detroit and other teams he would not re-sign. I am not sure how all that would work with him being an RFA. But I think Trouba manipulated his way to NY.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Remember he is not a free agent he is RFA. To sign an RFA like him away from another team would be a king's ransom.

What this smells like to me was that he told WPG he will not re-sign, and he told NY he would re-sign. He probably told Detroit and other teams he would not re-sign. I am not sure how all that would work with him being an RFA. But I think Trouba manipulated his way to NY.

The Rangers weren't allowed to speak to him before the trade, according to TSN.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not liking the vibes Trouba will make it to free agency from his comments. Was hoping he'd play the sign for a year and see how it goes routine but he sure sounded pretty open to extending long term. Him being good friends with Brady Skeji certainly doesn't help.

Sucks man, he's a legit top pair D imo, would fit in Wings future plans and could have been acquired relatively cheap. I'm sure Yzerman was involved in trade talks and perhaps Jets simply chose to go with a different offer. Sure would have been nice to see him pull off one of those great trades here like he did so many times in Tampa tho.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
one way or another we'll find out how it's all gonna play out with him pretty soon I guess

the deadline for filing for arbitration is in a couple weeks(IIRC I think it was July 5th? somewhere around there anyways) whether he does that or not will speak much louder about his intentions than any comments ever could

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
No reason to be upset, we have a long way to go in this rebuild. I mean Yzerman said it's gonna take time and you all just expect him to go guns blazing already. Build the team then when you have more prospects/picks to trade you can make moves. I'm glad we still have our pick.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I wonder if Gostisbehere is available on the trade block? Any interest in him?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
MAYBE HE DIDNG WSNTVTO LLAY HERE WHATSOEVER

MAYBE SY ISNT A MORON AND KNOWS THIS OR FOUND THIS OUT AND KNOWS TROUBA iS NOT WORTH THE 6TH OA OR MANTHA PLUS HRONEK .....

Could that also be true or in fact, the truth?.??

Appreciate your attempt but you did it wrong lol.

Anyways it sucks but from the sounds of it Trouba didn't want to come here either. Maybe it ends up being a good thing... we'll see.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I think we all need to remember that sports media is run by self-interest and fed information by the same.

- The media depends on controversy to drive clicks and keep interest. A universal trait of media under market economics.

- In terms of how they pick their spots, it's probably easier for the media to run pseudo hit pieces on the less legendary GM's in smaller, less national markets. Cheveldayoff's biggest claim to fame is that his strange last name sounds a bit like a journeyman goaltender that started for the Wings for a couple years in the early 90's... dude is an easy target in a small market.

- It's also possible that teams feed some of the reporters misleading or hyperbolic information as part of corporate intelligence operations. This could be done for any number of reasons.

No GM is going to keep their job if they make deals that are 'obviously' worse than others (tangibly) offered. Since GM's can't be nihilists and keep their job for long (save the Matt Millen jokes), and since they have many people within the org that help them evaluate deals (echo chambers examples aside), I doubt the Jets passed on anything truly better. I'm not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
MAYBE HE DIDNG WANT TO PLAY HERE WHATSOEVER

MAYBE SY ISNT A MORON AND KNOWS THIS OR FOUND THIS OUT AND KNOWS TROUBA IS NOT WORTH THE 6TH OA OR MANTHA PLUS HRONEK .....

Could that also be true or in fact, the truth?.??

Or, or, or This could be like John Tavares

John Tavares has no plans to leave Islanders

You take what a guy says at an introductory presser, a TDL interview, or pending UFA status with a massive grain of salt.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yzerman is far more competent than Holland, but he is still going to have to deal with the fact that his team plays in Detroit. There are no hometown discounts or wanting to come home. A lot of people who grow up here can't wait to leave and don't want to come back. Not all, but a lot. The fact that the NHL has become a league that allows players to dictate trade destinations hurts the Wings in a major way. Better hope the team gets lucky in the draft the next few years.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

bUt whY SPenD AsSEtS wHen WE CaN JusT sIGn HIm As a fREe AgEnT NexT yEaR?

I liked this post and dislike it because of what the fallout is going to be.

The conspiracy theorists told me that he would never sign an extension with another team and would be a Detroit Red Wing after 2019-20. Now the same people are telling me that he probably never wanted to come to Detroit in the first place.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Appreciate your attempt but you did it wrong lol.

Anyways it sucks but from the sounds of it Trouba didn't want to come here either. Maybe it ends up being a good thing... we'll see.

Agreed... he's starting to come off as a prima-donna. If his last name was Federov or he had a Hart trophy on the shelf sitting next to his cup ring and other hardware, his attitude would still be difficult for most here. With the hate that still persists for Federov on this forum, it's probably best the Wings didn't give up healthy futures to bring in that sort of circus.

All that said, I'm not sure how much I believe about any of this. Trouba has said or been linked to a couple of troubling things, but my distrust for media makes me skeptical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad