Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
His first move needs to be putting that C on Larkin so I can finally buy a damn jersey

No, but I have watched this play out enough in the past that some of the look of this is familiar. Absent a public diagnosis which I agree we are not entitled to though legalized gambling is about to change this I remain skeptical.

He was shutdown to rest it only to have it return. He has been shutdown to rest it again. What I am saying is I would not be stunned at all to hear about there being an issue when he picks up his training in the summer here shortly or when he ramps it up hard in September or October. Because we don't know what it is specifically it leaves a lot of grey areas. They expected him to return the first time without incident as well.

I trust our team doctors, I have said over and over you have to go with things they are telling you on physicals and things of that nature. In this particular case they have given me reason to pause. I would love nothing more than to watch a right side of defense with Trouba, Hronek and Green until the deadline. I am just not sure how long we will have Green, he is by no means a durable guy historically anyway.

I love Mike Green and always have but his injury history is especially worrisome now with this virus

It’s going to suck if he has to retire, it’ll be an extended period of mourning for me

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
First move was signing Joe Veleno to ELC... kind of automatic, but still the... first move. :)

Actually, his first move was signing on the dotted line himself!

giphy.gif

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting thought... Yzerman has to have a pretty good idea of what the draft boards of both Tampa Bay and Edmonton look like for this draft. Pretty unique situation for a GM going into their first draft with a new team. Would be even crazier if they both picked before us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Getting away from Trouba do you think Yzerman would consider an offer sheet to Brayden Point?

I don't think so, he seems to be willing to let this be a bad year if that is what it turns out to be. Like he is only going to go for things this off-season if they are really good opportunities, but he isn't going to do something just to do something. He is pretty calculated and patient, he is that part of Holland that we used to know. Just he moves swiftly kind of like Holland actually did with a contender, I am curious how much of his aggression carries across given the different areas the teams are in. We would be in a position to be aggressive next year anyway in my opinion so a season long evaluation of all aspects of the organization needs to be in order. It is why we brought him here, he has the keys he can do what he feels.

Since I think that he wants to move slowly and evaluate and has the power to, I think the idea of putting up 4 1st or even two firsts? I just don't really see it.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I don't think so, he seems to be willing to let this be a bad year if that is what it turns out to be. Like he is only going to go for things this off-season if they are really good opportunities, but he isn't going to do something just to do something. He is pretty calculated and patient, he is that part of Holland that we used to know. Just he moves swiftly kind of like Holland actually did with a contender, I am curious how much of his aggression carries across given the different areas the teams are in. We would be in a position to be aggressive next year anyway in my opinion so a season long evaluation of all aspects of the organization needs to be in order. It is why we brought him here, he has the keys he can do what he feels.

Since I think that he wants to move slowly and evaluate and has the power to, I think the idea of putting up 4 1st or even two firsts? I just don't really see it.
I agree that Stevie will show the patience and figure the fans who really follow the Wings that Rome wasn't built in a day. Yzerman however still may address his blueline with more focus on the youth and a chance to maybe go after Trouba. I would expect Point would want between 7-8 million per but cannot see him at 10 yet.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If the Red Wings are bad for 4 more years it means the rebuild failed and the large majority of Hronek, Cholowski, Zadina, #6 pick, Rasmussen, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, etc were busts or didn’t improve at all.

You don't seem to understand rebuilds on average take 7-8 years to climb out off do you? We are about to start year three. That leaves another 4-5. And that's only if we can draft one more top 6 center and atm 3/4 of are next top 4 d, because when we finally get things sorted out Ddk won't be a #4 anymore.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You don't seem to understand rebuilds on average take 7-8 years to climb out off do you? We are about to start year three. That leaves another 4-5. And that's only if we can draft one more top 6 center and atm 3/4 of are next top 4 d, because when we finally get things sorted out Ddk won't be a #4 anymore.

How many of those 7-8 year rebuilds consist of major missteps by management? Usually when the GM is fired it's because they're royally screwing up the rebuild, that's not what happened in Detroit.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
How many of those 7-8 year rebuilds consist of major missteps by management? Usually when the GM is fired it's because they're royally screwing up the rebuild, that's not what happened in Detroit.

It's just the average amount of time that successful rebuilds take. I mean if we are lucky maybe we cut a year off and it takes 6-7. But most of the early turn around (Pitt, and chi) had generational players (Pitt), or everything congeal at once (chi).

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

If the Red Wings are still *bad* (as in a bottom 7 or so team in the NHL) 4-5 years from now (2024) that means the Red Wings reallllly bombed on the majority of their draft picks from the past few seasons and the next few seasons after this. The 2024 lineup (with the young players currently in the system) will look something like this:

Bertuzzi (27 y/o) - Larkin (26 y/o) - Mantha (28 y/o)
Zadina (23 y/o) - 2019 #6 pick (22 y/o) - AA (28 y/o)
Rasmussen (24 y/o) - Veleno (23 y/o) - ???

Cholowski (24 y/o) - Hronek (25 y/o)
McIssac (23 y/o) - ???
??? - ???

In addition, since in this hypothetical the Wings are still bad 5 seasons from now, it means they have been picking top 10 for about 4 more seasons. So the following draft picks would also be slotted somewhere in the above lineup.
*2020 top 5-10 pick
*2021 top 5-10 pick
*2022 top 5-10 pick
*2023 top 5-10 pick

If that above lineup equates to a bad team 5 years from now, it means that the group of players of Veleno, Hronek, Zadina,2019 #6, the next year or two's top 10 draft picks, etc were largely busts and AA, Mantha, etc regressed/didn't improve at all. That's the only way that above team is bad. And if those players I mentioned as a group largely bust, that means that the Red Wings have little to no foundation for a successful team hence, the rebuild failed.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Shot in the dark, but WPG trades Perreault in order to save some space. Darren Helm (his NTC may be voided between June 15, 2019 & 2019-20 NHL Trade deadline, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs, which they didn't) for Mathieu Perreault. Detroit gets the slightly better player and Winnipeg gets the cap relief in order to fit Laine / Connor on their roster.

Or, make it a bigger deal :

Mathieu Perreault and Jacob Trouba for Andreas Athanasiou, 2019 2nd rd and Darren Helm.

WPG saves some cap, gets their potential 2nd C in return and Trouba gets their top pairing D.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Shot in the dark, but WPG trades Perreault in order to save some space. Darren Helm (his NTC may be voided between June 15, 2019 & 2019-20 NHL Trade deadline, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs, which they didn't) for Mathieu Perreault. Detroit gets the slightly better player and Winnipeg gets the cap relief in order to fit Laine / Connor on their roster.

Or, make it a bigger deal :

Mathieu Perreault and Jacob Trouba for Andreas Athanasiou, 2019 2nd rd and Darren Helm.

WPG saves some cap, gets their potential 2nd C in return and Trouba gets their top pairing D.
Pass, Perreault is 5'6". They forgot to account for the Canadian exchange rate when they listed him as 5'10".

I'd take on the salary if there were additional assets included, but we might as well stick with Helm if we're doing a one for one swap. Also, I doubt WPG trades Trouba for AA and a 2nd.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
not really not unless we were getting a ransom for taking on the contract.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
If true, then yeah. Like was it to spite the other teams or something? Why would you not take the best offer? Shady behind the scenes deals is my guess.... again, if true.

'More' isn't always 'better'. Maybe the Wings offered two 2nd's + Cholo but the Jets were higher Pinok and/or one late 1st rounder over two 2nd's.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I did not hear this with my own ears but apparently Friedman said other teams offered more than NYR.
Lets hold off on the pitchforks for a minute.

No pitchfork here, it's just such an unfortunate way for this all to turn out. Especially given the price was way lower than what many were speculating. To be able to give up what NYR did and get a bona fide top pairing dman is nothing short of a coup. Now the Rangers are going to throw a ton of money at him with the promise of being their #1 all situations guy and play with Kaako and the talent they have and will be adding soon. I'll be shocked if he's not signed within a month, let alone make it to free agency. And the search for a #1 dman continues...

It’s so ****ing strange when teams do **** like that.

I know, it's ridiculous to try to play it strategically when it should be a straightforward best package wins. I can understand it to an extent when a team is in the same division but that doesn't apply in this case.

Although that tweet doesn't necessarily prove much, because it could just be those other GMs overvaluing what they offered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->