Speculation: Yzerman's first move.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Have any of you seen the Canucks fan, in the Vancouver wants to move up with Detroit thread? Unreal!

This is what he calls fair value:

To Detroit:

10th Overall
Tim Freaking Schaller (47 GP, 10 Whole PTS)

To Vancouver:

6th Overall

I call him out on it, and he proceeds to tell me, that Schaller staples people to the boards, and that you win playoff games with "men" like Schaller! I honestly thought he was kidding, until he defended it, and mentioned this trade 2 times as being a lot of value for Detroit! UNREAL!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maybe it’s just me, but I think a line of
Schaller-Athanasiou-Mantha would be one of the top lines in all of hockey. But hey - if giving up your 6th isn’t worth having one of the top lines in hockey, then more power to you I guess.

He just posted this now! Is he trolling me hard, or is he the most delusional fan on here?!? :confused::huh::help::ha::eek:

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Holland has never struggled with RFAs, even most of the people that grew tired of Holland would generally applaud his RFA deals. Tough spot for Pool party. I would be interested in giving him a shot, but the return for the Oilers would be pretty bad. His injuries aren't exactly brush aside problems either, I would want his medical seriously scrutinized by our doctors.
Yes good point, I would if Holland would even grant teams his medical records/ will let them evaluate his injuries before striking a deal?

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Given the cap hell that GMGM has Vegas in, I'd love to see if Yzerman can jostle either a Tuch and/or a Cody Glass loose.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Am I alone in not seeing why the Sabres are so intent on moving Ristolainen? The guy's always rumored to be available and I just don't see why Buffalo would be pushing for it.
Well his plus/minus has been atrocious his whole career, in fact he just had a 'career' year there with -41. Obviously he's played on bad teams that whole time but perhaps Buffalo feels he's a bigger part of the problem than a solution.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Am I alone in not seeing why the Sabres are so intent on moving Ristolainen? The guy's always rumored to be available and I just don't see why Buffalo would be pushing for it.

Because he's pretty brutal at the actual defending part of playing defense.

There's a reason these pure offensive guys frequently hit the trade block. Teams owe them a lot of money because of the pts they put up, but the rest of their game leaves you disappointed. It's why you hear about Ghost being on the block but not Provorov. Or Shattenkirk being on the block but not Pieterangelo.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

sabres play better when he's not on the ice. not a sample size issue at this point either. or team issue since dahlin shined from day 1.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If the price for Letang wasn't too bad, I would not have an issue adding him. I know he is 32 and probably going to trend down, but he only has 3 years left on a reasonable deal, and is better than all the other veteran blueliners we have. That said, I expect they would want something crazy for him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
LeBrun suggests the following defensemen are potentially available:

- Subban
- Barrie
- Ristolainen
- Letang

I'd be interested in all of them except Letang.

Woah, Risto? OK, all in on Risto. This kid is legit. Took a huge step forward last year. Get him. Get him yesterday. I'm higher on Risto than Trouba.

Which I get why people are down on him here. And why he's not the perfect fit. But still... he's 24. I think the rest of his game will round out. The pitfalls he currently has are why he's available, won't cost a fortune, but I think the upside here is huge.

I know not everyone will agree.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Woah, Risto? OK, all in on Risto. This kid is legit. Took a huge step forward last year. Get him. Get him yesterday. I'm higher on Risto than Trouba.

Which I get why people are down on him here. And why he's not the perfect fit. But still... he's 24. I think the rest of his game will round out. The pitfalls he currently has are why he's available, won't cost a fortune, but I think the upside here is huge.

I agree for the offensive side, but sounds like his defensive miscues are a huge issue. Lots of complaints about this, that I have read.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
If the price for Letang wasn't too bad, I would not have an issue adding him. I know he is 32 and probably going to trend down, but he only has 3 years left on a reasonable deal, and is better than all the other veteran blueliners we have. That said, I expect they would want something crazy for him.
I wouldn’t mind another guy like that. The Wings did well with Rafalski at a later age. Dmen in general can stay valuable as they get older as long as they still have legs.

My issue with Letang is more health based than skill or age based. He has played 82 games once in his career. He is always getting banged up somehow. It doesn’t necessarily kill his on ice play, but I think it only gets more worrisome as he ages.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Have any of you seen the Canucks fan, in the Vancouver wants to move up with Detroit thread? Unreal!

This is what he calls fair value:

To Detroit:

10th Overall
Tim Freaking Schaller (47 GP, 10 Whole PTS)

To Vancouver:

6th Overall

I call him out on it, and he proceeds to tell me, that Schaller staples people to the boards, and that you win playoff games with "men" like Schaller! I honestly thought he was kidding, until he defended it, and mentioned this trade 2 times as being a lot of value for Detroit! UNREAL!

Hard no. I want the 40th pick and another add to slide out of that big of an asset. Too rich for Vancouver? Sure and this is why top 10 picks don't often change hands.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I agree for the offensive side, but sounds like his defensive miscues are a huge issue. Lots of complaints about this, that I have read.

I think that's true for much of that Buffalo team. Niskanen is my usual citation for when I misjudged a defender too soon regarding his defensive play. They can take more time to round out that area of their game than most. There's a pretty large list of late bloomers that come around at age 26/27 to take over top line duties. From everything I've seen of Risto, I take that gamble. He's got all the tools. I'll go ahead and quote Kypreos:

"He's got the potential," Kypreos said. "There's everything there that you'd want in a top-two guy. There's also that mean streak that unfortunately isn't as consistent a people would like. He is one of those special defenseman that don't come around very often."
From the same article, looks like Tampa and Vancouver are already chasing him, but the new coach in Buffalo wants more time to see if he can still have a place for the Sabres moving forward.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I wouldn’t mind another guy like that. The Wings did well with Rafalski at a later age. Dmen in general can stay valuable as they get older as long as they still have legs.

My issue with Letang is more health based than skill or age based. He has played 82 games once in his career. He is always getting banged up somehow. It doesn’t necessarily kill his on ice play, but I think it only gets more worrisome as he ages.

He definitely gets hurt a lot, but one thing I like about him, is even when he misses time, he generally still plays quite well when he is in the lineup.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Depends on price. I wouldn't hate it, but I'm not as all in on Risto as I was on Trouba. I think Trouba's a better all-around player. Trouba I'd have probably dealt 6OA for (and way overpaid). Risto? You get Cholo and 35 at the top of my valuation, or I happily let you keep Ristolainen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think that's true for much of that Buffalo team. Niskanen is my usual citation for when I misjudged a defender too soon regarding his defensive play. They can take more time to round out that area of their game than most. There's a pretty large list of late bloomers that come around at age 26/27 to take over top line duties. From everything I've seen of Risto, I take that gamble. He's got all the tools. I'll go ahead and quote Kypreos:

"He's got the potential," Kypreos said. "There's everything there that you'd want in a top-two guy. There's also that mean streak that unfortunately isn't as consistent a people would like. He is one of those special defenseman that don't come around very often."
From the same article, looks like Tampa and Vancouver are already chasing him, but the new coach in Buffalo wants more time to see if he can still have a place for the Sabres moving forward.

Yeah, could be the team, not arguing that at all, as even good defenders have a tough time on bad teams, like Doughty this year and -30 or so.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hard no. I want the 40th pick and another add to slide out of that big of an asset. Too rich for Vancouver? Sure and this is why top 10 picks don't often change hands.

The guy was trolling me! I flat out asked him and he said he was just having fun with Wings fans!

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Well if he doesn't cost a fortune as you say, I'd probably take a flyer on him. But I don't know how optimistic I would be about his game rounding out. Get the feeling he's more of a contributor to Buffalo's struggles than a mere victim.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
sabres play better when he's not on the ice. not a sample size issue at this point either. or team issue since dahlin shined from day 1.

Then play him less and pick his situations more. His TOI/G the past three years has been over 26 minutes two of those years and over 24 last year. Even after picking up Montour, Ristolainen still lead that group by over 2 minutes a game every night. It's not like Buffalo couldn't shift some more time to everyone else on their blueline. They choose not to.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Then play him less and pick his situations more. His TOI/G the past three years has been over 26 minutes two of those years and over 24 last year. Even after picking up Montour, Ristolainen still lead that group by over 2 minutes a game every night. It's not like Buffalo couldn't shift some more time to everyone else on their blueline. They choose not to.

I wonder if Risto is this generation's Jaybo...

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wonder if Risto is this generation's Jaybo...

A 24 year old JayBo wouldn't have been a bad pickup.

I think there's still a massive ceiling with him, and just getting out of Buffalo could really help. I just wonder if that place is kind of toxic until they can get some better locker room guys.

Reactions: Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->