Yzerman Has Some MAJOR Work To Do

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The way the expansion draft is set up, they'll have a much easier time getting defensemen. They can then flip them for forwards.

The free agent crop isn't great this year for forwards either.
Ya that's true load up on d men and teams like us pay a price to get a d man from them

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Ya that's true load up on d men and teams like us pay a price to get a d man from them

Yep, that's why I think it was wise for Yzerman to wait until this off season to grab a top 4. Teams won't be able to protect defensemen and LV will be flipping them to other teams.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This team has missed Callahan as much as it has missed Stamkos. The thing Stammer should be back just as good as ever but the surgery Callahan had may well end his effectiveness. This hip surgery has lasting effects on all who go thru it. Names is also now expendable in time he could be a 2C somewhere but he is not a 4C by any means he was better at 3C but Point has shown he in time may be a 1C. It would not hurt to upgrade the D with a couple stay at home veterans. The most critical position going forward is Vasey. Hes young and still has his warts at times that costs games it will be a couple years before he hits his full potential I hope it is good enough.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We go into next season with that defense you might as well throw in the towel for next year.

That D corps isn't gonna get us anywhere.

I think Coburn/Garrison are getting dumped on a little more than they deserve. Like last night Garrison pulled off a textbook 2-on-1 block. So much of his failure (and Coburn's) has been in the defensive zone fire drills where nobody can get the puck at all and in particular when Vasilevskiy was stopping pucks like they were bouncey balls and every shot was rocketing 2 feet off of him. It's those extended zone times where they struggle and to be honest there are few defensemen adept in those situations. Coburn has sort of calmed it down. he was just hot garbage and made horrible mistake after another for weeks on end at the start of the year and in a recent bad stretch. I'm gonna wait out until next year to see if he's really "lost it" along with Garrison. I think if they contributed more on offense we'd be singing a different song about them.

But if we CAN get soemone better then I'm all for it. I just don't know who we are gonna move in order to make that happen.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This team has missed Callahan as much as it has missed Stamkos.

Uhhh....what?

We've probably missed out on 30 goals from Stamkos this year. We'd be firmly in the playoffs today with those 30 goals. THAT is a true difference maker.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Uhhh....what?

We've probably missed out on 30 goals from Stamkos this year. We'd be firmly in the playoffs today with those 30 goals. THAT is a true difference maker.

Especially with the way Stammer was playing to start the year. Callahans first full season was nice though

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Callahan played as many dead shifts as he did active ones, he hasn't been effective since 2015. It's hilarious that the only thing positive about him is that he's a solid pker, imagine if that 5.8m was spent on anyone worth the pricetag, a very strong top-6 forward or a #2 dman, instead we have a guy who's only value is to block shots and clear pucks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not getting into this argument. Lol

Anyway, I am curious what will happen with Killorn and Namestnikov. Would think one goes? Have an extra spot to protect one of them now with Flip gone. Also I see Cally waiving his NMC in good faith. But think there is a rule that a player on the IR gets automatically waived from the expansion draft. Need to dig up some more info on that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not getting into this argument. Lol

Anyway, I am curious what will happen with Killorn and Namestnikov. Would think one goes? Have an extra spot to protect one of them now with Flip gone. Also I see Cally waiving his NMC in good faith. But think there is a rule that a player on the IR gets automatically waived from the expansion draft. Need to dig up some more info on that.

Him waiving would be good but at this point even if he were to come back he would need to put up 40-50+ points minimum for any team to even be remotely interested and even then I see us attaching a pick/prospect for someone to take his contract. He has negative value around the league.

To be exempt from the expansion draft I believe they have to prove that his injury is career threatening, which isn't the case.

I'd like Killorn gone just for long term cap reasons but I think Yzerman will end up protecting him.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd like Killorn gone just for long term cap reasons but I think Yzerman will end up protecting him.

I am on the fence with Killorn. But his cap hit could be used to take care of Palat and Johnson's raises. With Erne up now, does that make Killorn more expendable?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I am on the fence with Killorn. But his cap hit could be used to take care of Palat and Johnson's raises. With Erne up now, does that make Killorn more expendable?

Depends on how solid we want our third line to be.

People including myself keep forgetting about Callahan for next season. If we sign Gusev I would absolutely deal Killorn

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Depends on how solid we want our third line to be.

People including myself keep forgetting about Callahan for next season. If we sign Gusev I would absolutely deal Killorn

I promised not to get into deep debate about Cally anymore but he is not done and am confident he will be effective in helping this team win when he gets back.

As per Killorn if Yzerman is looking to save cap and possibly better this team he may look at moving Killorn. Think that is very realistic in happening.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I don't see the need to move Killorn if Gusev comes over. Would rather wait and see how he does as he'd be on a cheap deal so we can make that work. Vlad is gone. Either through expansion or gets flipped for a pick/project defender.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
WhAt kind of trade value do you guys think killorn has for say a prospect and a pick or a NHL defenseman?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't see the need to move Killorn if Gusev comes over. Would rather wait and see how he does as he'd be on a cheap deal so we can make that work. Vlad is gone. Either through expansion or gets flipped for a pick/project defender.

It all depends on the cap. If Yzerman is not able to improve the defense and we habe enough cap I would prefer to keep Killor n regardless of Gusev. In that scenario we need as much forward depth as possible.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Would probably be easier to deal Killorn as a centerpiece in a trade for a top 4 than to deal him for futures and then package and flip that.

Also, Yzerman would truly be Jesus if he signs Drouin to a long term extension with enough room to spare on the triplets and a top 4 while keeping everyone.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Killorn has a full NTC for the next 3 years after this one, he'll get to choose where ever he wants to go. Yzerman is less likely to find a suitable trading partner if we were to move Killorn after his season.

I'd say move him at the draft or expose him to Vegas. At least Namestnikov will be easy to move. If we can't get Gusev over I'd do a low-risk high reward signing in someone like Yakupov. We have a couple of Russians here and a couple of skilled playmakers to take advantage of his shot.

We're going to have to do a lot more of these low-risk high reward type of signings like Pittsburgh and Chicago anyways.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn has a full NTC for the next 3 years after this one, he'll get to choose where ever he wants to go. Yzerman is less likely to find a suitable trading partner if we were to move Killorn after his season.

I'd say move him at the draft or expose him to Vegas. At least Namestnikov will be easy to move. If we can't get Gusev over I'd do a low-risk high reward signing in someone like Yakupov. We have a couple of Russians here and a couple of skilled playmakers to take advantage of his shot.

We're going to have to do a lot more of these low-risk high reward type of signings like Pittsburgh and Chicago anyways.

You're just trying to get rid of Cooper via aneurysm now. ;)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I agree in general, but disagree on Yakupov. I think he's broken.

I did not like Killorn's contract when it was signed. I like it less now.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I agree in general, but disagree on Yakupov. I think he's broken.

I did not like Killorn's contract when it was signed. I like it less now.
I didn't like his contract either, and I like it even less now than I did at the beginning of the season. Killorn's had a pretty underwhelming year, unfortunately. I'd be overjoyed if he simply found enough of his game to raise a few more doubts about moving him

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I didn't like his contract either, and I like it even less now than I did at the beginning of the season. Killorn's had a pretty underwhelming year, unfortunately. I'd be overjoyed if he simply found enough of his game to raise a few more doubts about moving him

Killorn has had the exact same year he always has.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Killorn has had the exact same year he always has.
I disagree. At a minimum, he's been less consistent as a player, irrespective of production (which I assume is what you mean, but I haven't been tracking it either way). With Killer you're paying for "all the little things" in addition to points anyway. He's been fine on the PK, for what it's worth.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I disagree. At a minimum, he's been less consistent as a player, irrespective of production (which I assume is what you mean, but I haven't been tracking it either way). With Killer you're paying for "all the little things" in addition to points anyway. He's been fine on the PK, for what it's worth.

He has never been consistent. These exact complaints come up about him every year. It's just that the post-season raises the expectations on him in the regular season, but he never meets those. He always does exactly what he's doing now. He's consistent with how inconsistent he is. If anything, we're going to get a few more goals out of him than we're used to.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Need some serious upgrades here. I know its not their goal to score tons of goals but man, the lack of production in the amount of games played is really staggering.

EecgzMM.png

Point totals are highlighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad