Yzerman Has Some MAJOR Work To Do

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gusev-Stamkos-Drouin
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Erne-Namestnikov-Callahan
Dumont-Boyle-Gourde

Forwards at 43.96m with Gusev @ 3m, Boyle @ 3m, Drouin @ 4.5, Palat/Johnson @ 5.

Hedman-Dotchin
Coburn-Stralman
Koekkoek-X

Defenseman at 18.075 with Dotchin @ 1m, Koekkoek @ 1m.

Vasilevski
X

Goaltending at 3.5m

Total Cap: 65.535 + Carle buyout 1.833 + Condra (.300) = 67.668.

Leaves about 7.3 to add a defenseman and backup goaltender, about 5.3~ if you want to account for a 13th forward and 7th defenseman.

We're actually in a decent position cap wise if we get rid of Killorn and Garrison, but I guess realistically you can leave Killorn, remove Gusev and just add on 1.5m in capspace, which still isn't too bad.

Edit: I subconsciously forgot Point :laugh::sarcasm: But we would save 1.2m in capspace by replacing Namestnikov with him. So that'd be even better.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Gusev-Stamkos-Drouin
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Erne-Namestnikov-Callahan
Dumont-Boyle-Gourde

Forwards at 43.96m with Gusev @ 3m, Boyle @ 3m, Drouin @ 4.5, Palat/Johnson @ 5.

Hedman-Dotchin
Coburn-Stralman
Koekkoek-X

Defenseman at 18.075 with Dotchin @ 1m, Koekkoek @ 1m.

Vasilevski
X

Goaltending at 3.5m

Total Cap: 65.535 + Carle buyout 1.833 + Condra (.300) = 67.668.

Leaves about 7.3 to add a defenseman and backup goaltender, about 5.3~ if you want to account for a 13th forward and 7th defenseman.

We're actually in a decent position cap wise if we get rid of Killorn and Garrison.

Man, wouldn't that be just ideal if Gusev came over next year and slotted into the top line.....

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Gusev probably wouldn't be at 3 million on an ELC without bonuses. So his cap hit for next season could be as low as 900k (although we'd have to worry about cap overage the next season).

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
At some point he is exempt from getting an ELC, though, and I thought in the past it had something to do with the age of 25. Not sure what the rule is now.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
At some point he is exempt from getting an ELC, though, and I thought in the past it had something to do with the age of 25. Not sure what the rule is now.

On my lunch break - will pull up the CBA and check.

Edit: Still 25.

Double Edit: Actually, it's going to last until 27 to Gusev since he played outside of NA. 9.1(c)

(c) Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was
drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in
Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to
the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or
older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
So basically... right now would get us a 3 year deal, once he turns 25 its only a 1 year ELC, and after 28 you better Ante Up like M.O.P.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gusev probably wouldn't be at 3 million on an ELC without bonuses. So his cap hit for next season could be as low as 900k (although we'd have to worry about cap overage the next season).

Per Panarin's contract, his caphit was only 800k before bonuses (2.8m) which isn't bad at all.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
So basically... right now would get us a 3 year deal, once he turns 25 its only a 1 year ELC, and after 28 you better Ante Up like M.O.P.

I don't know how old he is now, but...

9.1 Applicability and Duration. Effective with SPCs entered into after the execution of this
Agreement:
(a) No Club may enter into an SPC with a Rookie that provides for compensation in
excess of that permitted by this Article.
(b) Subject to subsection (c) below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie,
and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the
compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below,
and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1 Player":
First SPC Signing Age
Period Covered by First SPC
and Years in the Entry Level System
and Subject to Compensation Limits
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older No required number of years, not in the Entry Level

(not counting the exception I posted above for European players)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It would be a 1 year ELC at probably a 925k base, current highest you can have on an ELC before bonuses. It will be bonus heavy and can reach 3 depending on if he hits them all. If we leave enough room in the cap we can carry his hit next year if it's 925k or 3mil, it would be better to prepare for the 3 next year. Then he's an RFA again the following year and will want a big raise so be ready to pay if he goes all Panarin.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It would be a 1 year ELC at probably a 925k base, current highest you can have on an ELC before bonuses. It will be bonus heavy and can reach 3 depending on if he hits them all. If we leave enough room in the cap we can carry his hit next year if it's 925k or 3mil, it would be better to prepare for the 3 next year. Then he's an RFA again the following year and will want a big raise so be ready to pay if he goes all Panarin.

Eh - a lot of the bonuses in ELCs are pretty unreachable barring a truly special player. I'm sure he would hit some of them - there are games played, point milestones, and the like, but some of them are for postseason awards as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Eh - a lot of the bonuses in ELCs are pretty unreachable barring a truly special player. I'm sure he would hit some of them - there are games played, point milestones, and the like, but some of them are for postseason awards as well.

If he's as good as he is in Russia he'll be closer to 3 than 925. It would just make more sense to prepare for that than have bonuses on the next year's cap.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
If he's as good as he is in Russia he'll be closer to 3 than 925. It would just make more sense to prepare for that than have bonuses on the next year's cap.

I'm more in favor of pushing bonuses. Yzerman has done some awesome work with the cap since he's been here. Despite about four straight years of "well they'll have to trade SOMEONE", we've not had to do that yet (and likely won't have to next season either with the cap going up about 3 million according to reports). Garrison is off the books after next season if we can't unload him in the meantime, and Yzerman is getting better at setting contracts to expire at a convenient time.

The Callbatross contract will be around for awhile, but other than that, Yzerman has done a pretty good job of getting out from under bad deals.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I know Boyler is a fan favorite but honestly, has anyone else noticed how faster we play since Boyle and Flip were traded, especially the transition through the neutral zone ? That's maybe just a coincidence but speed is our playing style I reckon.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I know Boyler is a fan favorite but honestly, has anyone else noticed how faster we play since Boyle and Flip were traded, especially the transition through the neutral zone ? That's maybe just a coincidence but speed is our playing style I reckon.

I've never been much of a Flip fan, but I think his absence has more of an impact than Boyle's would. I don't think Paquette was pushing the pace more than Boyle was (although he certainly is harder on the forecheck).

I think that's the biggest difference - our forecheck looks a LOT better, which makes our transition game better since we're not always starting shifts 200 feet from the net we're trying to score on.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I've never been much of a Flip fan, but I think his absence has more of an impact than Boyle's would. I don't think Paquette was pushing the pace more than Boyle was (although he certainly is harder on the forecheck).

I think that's the biggest difference - our forecheck looks a LOT better, which makes our transition game better since we're not always starting shifts 200 feet from the net we're trying to score on.

True, our possession time is much improved now, so we're ending up on the good side of the puck more often than not. Simple. The fact that there's more "space" in the locker-room since the TDL probably gave the kids a boost. That's their team now and there's nowhere to hide. Brayden Point plays on the top 6 like a duck takes to water, Namestnikov looks a lot more assertive now, and Vasy.. Well, his recent stats speak for themselves. So maybe there's that.

For the record Paquette is a pretty good skater for a physical 4th liner, if his IQ and puck handling were anywhere close to average he'd be one hell of a center IMO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I honestly had the same thought last game. Our bottom six looks a lot faster in general.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015

Yes. I was thinking the same thing. As much as it would be nice to have Boyle back, we are much faster now with Dumont, Gourde & Erne. Anxious to see Froese. He has put up very good numbers in the AHL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All that said, it's definitely messed up our PK. (Until these last few games, I guess. Didn't realize we'd been so good on the PK lately.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad