Yzerman Has Some MAJOR Work To Do

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gusev won't do three years he will do a two year entry so he can get paid faster . Far as I know he is under contract to the khl for 2017-2018

At Gusevs age he can sign a 1 year ELC and is a RFA right after. That's why if he goes all Panarin he will be hard to resign next off season as we won't have much capspace left without more moves.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There's a few housekeeping moves that we need to make but I'm optimistic about next year's roster.

What we have to remember is that our defense was/is predicated upon zone possession by our forwards. If we're hounding the puck in the offensive zone then the defense doesn't have anything to really do out there. The guys we have like Stralman, Garrison and Coburn aren't gonna cut it when every series on offense is a one and done. Simply put the defense was not/is not built to sustain offensive onslaughts and that's why everything has become such a fire drill.

So I approach next year with the following moves

1a. Get Stamkos and Callahan healthy enough to play next year
1b. Sign Gusev to a 3 year deal at least so Callahan's hit comes off the book in time for Gusev's raise
2. Do no re-sign Sustr
3. Pay off Vegas to not take either Coburn or Garrison
4. Let Namestnikov be taken via expansion
5. Re-sign Boyle if he's willing to come back
6. Re-sign Budaj if he's successful as our backup for this year

*drumroll please*

HOPEFULLY Sunny's team next year despite having no clue about who will be playing the right side on the defensive pairs

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Gusev
Killorn-Point-Callahan
Erne-Boyle-Brown

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Koekkoek-Dotchin

Vasilevskiy
Budaj

It's a good lineup. It's a playoff caliber team for certain

This is the dumbest thing I've seen all day. Gusev can't sign for 3 years, 1 year ELC that will have lots of bonuses. You actually want to pay Vegas to NOT take Garrison or Coburn? You want them to take Namestnikov and you will let a somewhat young RD who's a capable defender go for nothing? These aren't smart moves. If anything pay for them to not take Namestnikov and take Garrison and trade Sustr for a pick or player.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is the dumbest thing I've seen all day. Gusev can't sign for 3 years, 1 year ELC that will have lots of bonuses. You actually want to pay Vegas to NOT take Garrison or Coburn? You want them to take Namestnikov and you will let a somewhat young RD who's a capable defender go for nothing? These aren't smart moves. If anything pay for them to not take Namestnikov and take Garrison and trade Sustr for a pick or player.

If vegas took garrison or coburn they would be doing us a favor Personally I'd give up a 3rd rounder if vegas took garrison or coburn to vegas

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
At Gusevs age he can sign a 1 year ELC and is a RFA right after. That's why if he goes all Panarin he will be hard to resign next off season as we won't have much capspace left without more moves.

Correct and that's what he can do to get a pay day faster! Really it's a one year deal for 825 k but if he hits all the bonus money it will be a 3.5 cap hit like panarin! It's all moot I know gusev is under contract in the khl next season. Unless he has a opt out I don't know about ?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We definitely need to upgrade on Garrison, Coburn, and Sustr.

Dotchin has shown perfectly capable as a top 4, he's even being given PP time where he is doing well. I only would push him down to the bottom pair if we are able to jettison the expensive contracts and bring in a surefire top 4.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We definitely need to upgrade on Garrison, Coburn, and Sustr.

Dotchin has shown perfectly capable as a top 4, he's even being given PP time where he is doing well. I only would push him down to the bottom pair if we are able to jettison the expensive contracts and bring in a surefire top 4.
Right now I think vegas would take dotchin or koekoekk forwards are pretty easy to sign and draft

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think we're gonna need more balance. Unless by some miracle we can get everyone under the cap and still have room for a defenseman, one of those forwards is going to have to go to acquire one. That line up is basically the Dallas Stars + Hedman.

Also, I think Sustr has some value and we can probably get a pick for him, if only for the intrigue/project factor. I'm hoping we move on, if only so we can save a few bucks. (I'm assuming he'll want a raise.)

I'm ready to move on from Sustr because he's proven that he simply cannot grasp the speed of the NHL at a mental level. He knows what to do about 90% of the time but the other 10% of the time is when he realizes what's happening he's about 1 to 2 seconds too late. Then we're cracking giraffe jokes. It's like a 3G network in a 4G world.

I agree about needing more balance in the form of a puck moving defenseman who can score about 40 points a year to supplement Hedman. But I don't think you're giving enough credit to the rest of the defense. Guys like Coburn and Garrison are exposed in defensive zone fire drills because Coop's system doesn't have any "give" with his "take" because it relies on rolling 4 lines and being on the other half of the ice 70% of the game. When we're failing so bad on offense as we have been, the whole "there's two nets" philosophy and doubling down on defense becomes his priority.

Guys like Garrison and Coburn are "just enough" to get the job done when everything is going great offensively like it did 2 years ago. Back then we didn't have a thing to say about those guys. But I don't necessarily think we need to move on from them.

A lot of this has to do with system failure but that in turn is predicated upon the confidence of the forwards to complete high-risk precision passing and winning puck battles every chance. I haven't boarded the "Fire Cooper" train because as soon as a guy goes into a funk the entire train comes off the tracks and none of it is kept in check by player leadership because both Callahan and Stamkos are out.

But next year there's no more excuses

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Right now I think vegas would take dotchin or koekoekk forwards are pretty easy to sign and draft

The way the expansion draft is set up, they'll have a much easier time getting defensemen. They can then flip them for forwards.

The free agent crop isn't great this year for forwards either.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think it's laughable that some people think the whole "leadership" thing is why we suck. Cause 25-30 year old guys need to be babysat in the locker room and don't know what to do when no ones telling them right?

Made the point before, please tell me why we played just as bad through 40 games last year when our "leaders" were all healthy and in said locker room? Did they forget how to lead or did the refs forget to add leadership goals to the scoreboard.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
If anything, this year's highlighted the new leaders moving forward. Heddy's officially earned the "C", and Kuch and Drouin each get an "A" if they want them.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Alright then, Hose. Tell me how we realistically upgrade from Coburn and Garrison? If we lose them then who do we replace them with that's as good as them or better? What viable solution is there is that you have? If I had a solution to upgrade I would have provided my input. I cannot think of how we're supposed to suddenly round up a 2nd pairing defenseman completely on the fly AND re-sign Johnson, Palat, Droun and hopefully bring back Boyle. As for Gusev, alright so if we can only sign him for a year then big deal we do it. Yzerman pulls off great deals all the time.

And no dude... Sustr is NOT a capable defender at all. Like AT ALL.... Period. No matter how many times you say it does not make it true. It's become almost unanimous here that we need to move on from him. I don't EVER suggest trading him because I don't know what team would want a guy whose played over 300 games at the NHL level and does what he did last night on an almost regular basis.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Alright then, Hose. Tell me how we realistically upgrade from Coburn and Garrison? If we lose them then who do we replace them with that's as good as them or better? What viable solution is there is that you have? If I had a solution to upgrade I would have provided my input. I cannot think of how we're supposed to suddenly round up a 2nd pairing defenseman completely on the fly AND re-sign Johnson, Palat, Droun and hopefully bring back Boyle. As for Gusev, alright so if we can only sign him for a year then big deal we do it. Yzerman pulls off great deals all the time.

And no dude... Sustr is NOT a capable defender at all. Like AT ALL.... Period. No matter how many times you say it does not make it true. It's become almost unanimous here that we need to move on from him. I don't EVER suggest trading him because I don't know what team would want a guy whose played over 300 games at the NHL level and does what he did last night on an almost regular basis.

We're most likely going to trade a good player. It seems like you're struggling to come to terms with that. ;)

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We have the assets to upgrade.

Yzerman needs to start limiting contract lengths on the older non-core guys. 2 years max

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it's laughable that some people think the whole "leadership" thing is why we suck. Cause 25-30 year old guys need to be babysat in the locker room and don't know what to do when no ones telling them right?

Made the point before, please tell me why we played just as bad through 40 games last year when our "leaders" were all healthy and in said locker room? Did they forget how to lead or did the refs forget to add leadership goals to the scoreboard.

You mean when our captain was spending his spare time liking statuses about going to Toronto no less than 3 times? Taking batting practice with the Jays? Coyly laughing off questions about the offer given to him around New Year's 2016? Not giving an answer one way or another about his intentions to the point where we almost traded Bishop to Calgary?

Then he goes public about how hard the year was but hey... I guess I'm blowing that out of proportion too.

You call that leadership? As soon as he got the blood clot we went to the Eastern Conference Finals. His leadership last year was so great that as soon as all that drama goes out the window he starts this year playing the best hockey of his career since he breaking his leg. We already have an ex-captain and we can diss him all we want because he is often injured and doesn't contribute much but we still had a leader come playoff time.

And according to you this year is all Coop's fault remember? They gave up on him and that's why they've gone 7-2-2 in their most recent stretch. He's not only supposed to call the X's and O's but I suppose he's also supposed to double as the team therapist? Is the coach is supposed to clap his hands, throw a fit and everyone just jumps up and says, "COME ON GUYS WE GOTTA DO WHAT HE SAYS"?

And yes a room full of 25 year old men need to be led or "babied" as you call it. Men NEED leadership because men are selfish and do not function as a unit unless 1 or 2 guys call the shots and give order. That's why hockey teams have captains! We'll never know who called the team meetings last year but it was those 2 team meetings that saved our season. When things got their darkest this year we NEVER saw an intervention like that.

Leaders are sellers of hope. When things were their darkest this year not a single person who would dare call himself a captain lifted his head up high up on the bench. The only guys who didn't give up were Hedman, a guy who can barely speak English in Kucherov and a forward everyone called a spoiled brat a year ago.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We're most likely going to trade a good player. It seems like you're struggling to come to terms with that. ;)

Ehh I'm more counting on the move to sign Gusev. I still think we can get it done with the defense we have now. Although I do agree that if we don't sign Gusev that a trade will come

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ehh I'm more counting on the move to sign Gusev. I still think we can get it done with the defense we have now. Although I do agree that if we don't sign Gusev that a trade will come

We tried to send someone (likely Johnson) to St. Louis. We're desperate to improve the D.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Vasy blows offer bishop a 3 year deal this summer for 5.5 per season! Trade palat for draft picks and a prospect!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You mean when our captain was spending his spare time liking statuses about going to Toronto no less than 3 times? Taking batting practice with the Jays? Coyly laughing off questions about the offer given to him around New Year's 2016? Not giving an answer one way or another about his intentions to the point where we almost traded Bishop to Calgary?

Then he goes public about how hard the year was but hey... I guess I'm blowing that out of proportion too.

You call that leadership? As soon as he got the blood clot we went to the Eastern Conference Finals. His leadership last year was so great that as soon as all that drama goes out the window he starts this year playing the best hockey of his career since he breaking his leg. We already have an ex-captain and we can diss him all we want because he is often injured and doesn't contribute much but we still had a leader come playoff time.

huh, so Stamkos = bad leader but we lose cause we don't have his leadership. Ok.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
For our bottom 6 help I would actually look at our opponent tonight, Marcus Foligno would be an awesome addition. He his all our bottom 6 needs. That and try to get Boyle back would be a great thing.

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Killorn
Foligno-Point-Callahan
Erne-Boyle-Brown

Send Namestnikov flying....

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
For our Defense I hope SY for once goes out end spends some money. And my target would be Jared Spurgeon, Minnesota has always been rumored to be willing to part with him as they are constantly in cap crunch as well.

Send Sustr + a first + Katchouk the other way and try to unload Garrison or Coburn somehow.

Hedman-Stralman
Koekkoek-Spurgeon
Garrison-Dotchin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
huh, so Stamkos = bad leader but we lose cause we don't have his leadership. Ok.

We're losing because we have neither of our top two men in the locker room.

I never said Stamkos was a great leader I said we don't have any leadership on the ice this year. I said that spending a whole year flirting with Toronto negatively affected him and the locker room and as soon as he left it's not a coincidence we played better. This has nothing to do with just him. We played better because we had another guy.

It's amazing how you overlook Callahan at every turn. We can mock his lack of production but it changes nothing of the fact that he was like the 5th youngest captain in NYR history despite being like the 23rd captain they had and is the only guy with a permanent "A". I might think his career is over and that he's damaged goods but I'm not gonna overlook how important he is to the other guys on this team.

Right now we have neither player (the point I'm trying to make) and absolutely NO demonstration of the leadership that saved our season last year. The entire thing turned around when we twice called "team only" meetings and immediately played better. We'll never know who called those team meetings last year.

But the point is our solution came from within our own ranks and it had nothing to do with Jon Cooper like you think it does. You want his head on a platter but you can't tell me who you'd have replace him

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stamkos and Callahan didn't evaporate. We are missing them out on the ice, but they are still part of the team. Their injuries have had minimal effects inside the locker room.

I do think Callahans lead by example energy and compete level on the ice is missed however. That effort level is contagious, and we all know that on a nightly basis this team struggles in that department

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
There's a few housekeeping moves that we need to make but I'm optimistic about next year's roster.

What we have to remember is that our defense was/is predicated upon zone possession by our forwards. If we're hounding the puck in the offensive zone then the defense doesn't have anything to really do out there. The guys we have like Stralman, Garrison and Coburn aren't gonna cut it when every series on offense is a one and done. Simply put the defense was not/is not built to sustain offensive onslaughts and that's why everything has become such a fire drill.

So I approach next year with the following moves

1a. Get Stamkos and Callahan healthy enough to play next year
1b. Sign Gusev to a 3 year deal at least so Callahan's hit comes off the book in time for Gusev's raise
2. Do no re-sign Sustr
3. Pay off Vegas to not take either Coburn or Garrison
4. Let Namestnikov be taken via expansion
5. Re-sign Boyle if he's willing to come back
6. Re-sign Budaj if he's successful as our backup for this year

*drumroll please*

HOPEFULLY Sunny's team next year despite having no clue about who will be playing the right side on the defensive pairs

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Gusev
Killorn-Point-Callahan
Erne-Boyle-Brown

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Koekkoek-Dotchin

Vasilevskiy
Budaj

It's a good lineup. It's a playoff caliber team for certain

We go into next season with that defense you might as well throw in the towel for next year.

That D corps isn't gonna get us anywhere.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Play Koekkoek instead of Garrison. We save 3.5mil + and the only ice product isn't that much of a downgrade. Trade Palat or Killorn + Sustr/Dotchin for a top 4 RD who's young, protect Namestnikov instead.

Gusev needs a top 6 role, with the current top 6 there's no spot if Point stays up. We could move Point to 3C but that's a lot to ask a 21 year old kid. We need to see what kinda deals Drouin, Johnson and Palat get as well as who we lose in expansion so we can judge our cap situation going forward before making a play for Gusev. We still have his rights for another couple of years.

You don't play 300 games if you suck. He has his issue just like most bottom pair defenders. Last year he put up 21 points all at ES, that's a lot for a bottom pair defender. All our defenders but Hedman have taken a big step back this year, the thing with Sustr is he's cheaper. He makes 3mil less than Garrison I'd rather that than Garrison because the players on the ice isn't that drastic, Garrison isn't a 3mil better defender like Stralman is. I wouldn't mind upgrading on him or Dotchin and put them on the bottom pair so if we find a trade for him I'm fine if he goes.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
For our Defense I hope SY for once goes out end spends some money. And my target would be Jared Spurgeon, Minnesota has always been rumored to be willing to part with him as they are constantly in cap crunch as well.

Send Sustr + a first + Katchouk the other way and try to unload Garrison or Coburn somehow.

Hedman-Stralman
Koekkoek-Spurgeon
Garrison-Dotchin

Yes I would like this very much!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad