Yzerman 88-89...best season by player (not 99/66/04)?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Further Nuances

It appears to be a mish-mash of both, however. Significant/remarkable seasons (like the 40+ year old Howe and rookie Barrasso seasons) are inserted here and there, while the "greatest seasons" appear to be, in many cases, simply the "highest scoring seasons". 75% of the seasons on that list are from the post-expansion era. Though I suppose three of the four greatest players played in that era, so maybe it's appropriate.

I'll concede that I initially thought the list was simply the top 40 seasons in terms of absolute value. Viewing it under the perspective brought forth by yourself and Canadiens Fan makes it look a fair bit better.

Readers should also look at the historically significant seasons that are recognized. Seasons that reflect the formation of the NHL, rule changes, expansion, contraction etc.

The 1979-80 Gretzky season is not only significant from the standpoint of what Gretzky accomplished in his first year in the NHL but it also changed the perception of the WHA, raising it up a little bit. Likewise the 1979-80 Raymond Bourque season is an interesting inclusion because it reflects the arrival of the next generation of offensive defensemen after Bobby Orr. Yet the 1966-67 Orr season is not included.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Offhand, I'd argue that that was not even in the running for Yzerman's best season, not by the measurables that really matter. This player is revered for his transformation into an increasingly well-rounded leader.

Personal contenders include Maurice Richard's 50 in 50 in 1944-45, and you can make a very strong argument for Bobby Clarke for a couple of seasons. He was absolutely dominant in all phases of the game, and a terror to boot.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I was flip-flopping with those two, so putting Borque ahead there wouldn't bother me much. I think their seasons are a lot closer though. Coffey, despite the absurd offensive numbers lost the Norris trophy a couple times to stay-at-home defenceman Rod Langway, and he came back with a strong defensive game and an actually improved offensive game too. Smoothest skater in the league and the best puck-moving defenceman since Orr. I think Coffey's defensive game often gets overlooked because of the run-and-gun system of the Oilers. Joining the rush, this guy was dynamite.

Coffey never once had a season equaling Bourque's 89-90 campaign.

"Came back with a strong defensive game?" This never happened for Paul Coffey. Coffey often played the puck instead of the man, and was burned as a result, and many times just looked like a deer in the headlights in his zone.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I would guess that since Clarke had a better year than Orr in 1973 and he's not on the list ....

Can't say as I disagree ... hard to see how some of Clarke's season's didn't make it ... but the list doesn't include any Beliveau, Lafleur, Jagr season's either.
Clarke never once had a better year than Bobby Orr's best. I do not care who won the Hart. Orr was the best every single year between 69-70 to 74-75, and had the Hart been voted on the same way as it is today, he would have nabbed every one.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Clarke never once had a better year than Bobby Orr's best. I do not care who won the Hart. Orr was the best every single year between 69-70 to 74-75, and had the Hart been voted on the same way as it is today, he would have nabbed every one.

Obviously, the writers and the players felt differently in 1973 when Clarke nabbed both the Hart and the Pearson.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
J.C.Tremblay

"Came back with a strong defensive game?" This never happened for Paul Coffey. Coffey often played the puck instead of the man, and was burned as a result, and many times just looked like a deer in the headlights in his zone.

Just like J.C. Tremblay trying to defend against Bobby Hull rushing down the left wing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This list is terrible, but thanks for posting it lol.

This panel actually thinks that Gordie Howe's second-best season was his 68-69 year? Looks to me like a lot of seasons that only stand out on the basis of raw statistical numbers. Pretty poor researching by this panel, though given some of the names on it, I doubt much research was actually conducted. To be honest, this is probably exactly the kind of list I'd have come up with...when I was 12.

It often seems like sometimes the voting system is the biggest problem.

Like lets say you ask 20 experts to each make a individual list like that -- how do you then process that material? Natrually thoose experts would send in very subjective lists. Some might hold a old teammates season extremely high. Some are certainly forgetting some seasons et c. They are probably not putting a ton of time into it.

By just grading each positions with pts it can lead to some odd results.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

'94-'95...

The only time we ever saw what Coffey was truely capable of...

Ogopogo*

Okay so this notion came to me from the "How is Messier better than Yzerman..." thread where some people made the claim that Messier's 127-point 89-90 and 107-point 91-92 campaigns were somehow comparable to Yzerman's best season.

In 1988-89, Steve Yzerman put up 65 goals, 90 assists for 155 points, the most points by any player in a single season all-time not named Gretzky or Lemiuex. However, that season itself both 99 and 66 beat him in the scoring race, overshadowing Yzerman's accomplishments.

In points, the top 10 scorers were:
1. Mario Lemieux-PIT 199
2. Wayne Gretzky-LAK 168
3. Steve Yzerman-DET 155
4. Bernie Nicholls-LAK 150
5. Rob Brown-PIT 115
6. Paul Coffey-PIT 113
7. Joe Mullen-CGY 110
8. Jari Kurri-EDM 102
9. Jimmy Carson-EDM 100
10. Luc Robitaille-LAK 98

If you remove Yzerman and 66 and 99 and their linemates (Nicholls and Brown); Paul Coffey (also a Lemiuex teammate) becomes the highest scorer with 113 points. Steve Yzerman finishes with 37% more points than Coffey. He also finishes 27% higher than the next guy in goals, Joe Mullen (51).

Has there ever been a bigger gap points-wise at the end of the season (not including 99/66)? It's also more remarkable thinking of the linemates and teammates Yzerman had. No legitimate all-star caliber wingers or solid puck-moving defensemen (unless Chaisson counts). Of all the other great statistical seasons by other players, Espisito had Orr, Jagr had Lemiuex, LaFontaine had Mogilny's 76 goals, and Bossy had Trottier & Potvin. Had Yzerman had a Kurri or Borque, he may have hit 170-180.

To put it into perspective, if you remove Gretzky and Lemieux and their linemates from the 88-89 season, you have only Yzerman and 4 other players with 100 points or more in a high scoring era, with Coffey the highest at 113 points. Last season, there were 3 100-point scorers, with Malkin winning the Art Ross with also 113 points, and Ovechkin second with 110 points. Of all the hype we hear about Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby, to match Yzerman's feat, it would be exactly like someone scoring 155 points last season. That's how good Yzerman was.

Because Yzerman played alongside the two greatest forwards who had their peaks also coincide with his, Stevie's 88-89 season gets grossly underrated. I'm going out and saying this was the greatest individual season all-time in the NHL by a skater not named Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr. Comments?

It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools, it is even a poorer craftsman that blames his co-workers.

Gretzky broke the single season points record on a team where his closest teammate had 75 points. Gretzky also tied for the NHL scoring lead as a rookie with linemates named BJ MacDonald and Brett Callghen.

It was a great year for Yzerman but having non-HOF teammates is not the reason why.

rallymaster19

It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools, it is even a poorer craftsman that blames his co-workers.

Gretzky broke the single season points record on a team where his closest teammate had 75 points. Gretzky also tied for the NHL scoring lead as a rookie with linemates named BJ MacDonald and Brett Callghen.

It was a great year for Yzerman but having non-HOF teammates is not the reason why.

Wow, seriously...it's even in the title of the thread. No one is comparing any of Yzerman's seasons to three guys: Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr.

Of all the other statistically great seasons (not incl. 99/66/4) other guys have had, that player had at least 1 legitimate all-star caliber linemate or defenseman on his team. Steve Yzerman did not have anything close to all-star talent around him in his best season. Gallant, Yzerman's LWer and second leading scorer of the Wings that season scored 93 points, and after him was second-line centre Adam Oates with 78 points. Gallant never scored more than 39 points in his career when he did not play on the same line as Yzerman.

Hockey is a team game, and to say teammates don't affect the outcome of a game or how an individual player performs doesn't make sense.

And was Yzerman as good as Gretzky? No, god no. No one is claiming so.

rallymaster19

You know what, thinking back on that season, I think you're right. I may have overrated it. From what I recall, Coffey was specifically passed up for the Norris in 83 and 84 because his defensive game didn't cut it. And despite the huge numbers, and comparisons to Orr that came with those numbers, he could not play a sound defensive game that didn't cause a liability in his own end from time to time.

I do remember he changed that in 85 and 86 to a large extent. He was more reliable to shut opponents down but it was still his transitional game going back the other way that swayed voters. I'm not saying his defensive game was poor but it was still probably weak compared to Norris-winning seasons by some other players. And to be fair to Borque, had he played with Gretzky or Anderson, his 84 points may have been 110-120 points. And all while shutting dowwn the opposing top line down in his own end.

Ogopogo*

Hockey is a team game, and to say teammates don't affect the outcome of a game or how an individual player performs doesn't make sense.

That is not what I said.

What I said was, great scorers put up big numbers no matter who is on their team or their line. A great scorer does not need the crutch of a HOF teammate to put up great numbers.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Dionne, Howe, Bathgate and many others have proven this truth repeatedly.

Yzerman's 1989 season was not more amazing because of the lack of HOFers on his team. It was a great season because Yzerman played very well. End of story.

Does that mean Yzerman wasn't very good during the Red Wings Stanley Cup years because he had help?

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
You know what, thinking back on that season, I think you're right. I may have overrated it. From what I recall, Coffey was specifically passed up for the Norris in 83 and 84 because his defensive game didn't cut it. And despite the huge numbers, and comparisons to Orr that came with those numbers, he could not play a sound defensive game that didn't cause a liability in his own end from time to time.

I do remember he changed that in 85 and 86 to a large extent. He was more reliable to shut opponents down but it was still his transitional game going back the other way that swayed voters. I'm not saying his defensive game was poor but it was still probably weak compared to Norris-winning seasons by some other players. And to be fair to Borque, had he played with Gretzky or Anderson, his 84 points may have been 110-120 points. And all while shutting dowwn the opposing top line down in his own end.
I do not agree with this at all. I think Bourque thrived at being the go to guy in Boston, relied upon to create offense, and that at most, linemates/teammate make a 5-10 point difference, if that, in personal scoring. The more you are relied upon to be the go to guy, the more the coach ices you and gives you offensive time and the more you score.

If anything, Bourque's numbers were hurt by the fact that Boston was one of the most defense first teams in the NHL, but Bourque's style and skillset was tailor made for that sort of system.

Another thing I would say is that Coffey helped his offensive linemates as much as they helped him. Lemieux and Gretzky owe Coffey for his transition game and tape to tape breakout passes as well.

rallymaster19

That is not what I said.

What I said was, great scorers put up big numbers no matter who is on their team or their line. A great scorer does not need the crutch of a HOF teammate to put up great numbers.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Dionne, Howe, Bathgate and many others have proven this truth repeatedly.

Yzerman's 1989 season was not more amazing because of the lack of HOFers on his team. It was a great season because Yzerman played very well. End of story.

Does that mean Yzerman wasn't very good during the Red Wings Stanley Cup years because he had help?

I agree great scorers will put up great numbers no matter who they're playing with but the more offensively gifted teammates they have, the better their year-end totals will be. Even with the example of players you've given. Gretzky left the Oilers when he was 27, right in the heart of his prime but never did he come close to touching 200 points again in his career. When he left his HHOF linemates and went to SoCal, the effects of playing with guys like Bernie Nicholls and Thomas Sandstrom showed. 168 points would have been a disappointment in Edmonton, but that was the highest point total he'd ever reach again in his career.

Marcel Dionne never played with a Kurri or Anderson-caliber player but even his best numbers came in years where he had much better offensively-oriented forwards. In fact, in his best statistical season where he put up 137 points, 50-goal scorer Charlie Simmer finished second in scoring on the team with 101 points in 64 games. Had Simmer played a full 80 game season like Dionne, his projected total would have been 126 points.

Arguments can be made that Lemiuex's best seasons adjusted for era and injuries came when he had Jagr and a much improved supporting cast. I didn't watch Howe or Bathgate at their best, but I certainly don't think it's appropriate to say Howe didn't have any help in Detroit with talented teammates.

Are there seasons where you can find players doing it all themselves without great linemates. Yes, sure. But when looking at the all-time greatest seasons, with the evidence I've shown, a player has always had at least one other gifted offensive-player on his team. This is a fact. The greatest seasons where a player does it all himself without significant help comes from guys like Bure and Ovechkin. But neither of them play defense, and their best seasons still weren't at the level of Yzerman's best season.

I do not agree with this at all. I think Bourque thrived at being the go to guy in Boston, relied upon to create offense, and that at most, linemates/teammate make a 5-10 point difference, if that, in personal scoring. The more you are relied upon to be the go to guy, the more the coach ices you and gives you offensive time and the more you score.

This argument may work for certain players like Ovechkin, where he doesn't play much of a two-way game, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't use his big body the way Lindros used his (for better or for worse), and for a guy that double shifts when he wants to and floats and cherrypicks like there's no tomorrow. For a guy like him, being the go-to guy with tremendous skill probably inflates his numbers than a guy that plays a more rounded game with better linemates.
I've seen you try to make this 5-10 point argument before, it's your opinion, I'll respect that, but I personally don't subscribe to it for the same reasons I gave Ogopogo. The greatest offensive players all-time have all registered their best totals playing with other good or great offensive players.
Chemistry can make the world of a difference. Just ask Brett Hull what he thinks of Adam Oates.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This argument may work for certain players like Ovechkin, where he doesn't play much of a two-way game, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't use his big body the way Lindros used his (for better or for worse), and for a guy that double shifts when he wants to and floats and cherrypicks like there's no tomorrow. For a guy like him, being the go-to guy with tremendous skill probably inflates his numbers than a guy that plays a more rounded game with better linemates.
I've seen you try to make this 5-10 point argument before, it's your opinion, I'll respect that, but I personally don't subscribe to it for the same reasons I gave Ogopogo. The greatest offensive players all-time have all registered their best totals playing with other good or great offensive players.
Chemistry can make the world of a difference. Just ask Brett Hull what he thinks of Adam Oates.

Just a quick question: have you actually watched Alexander Ovechkin play?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Alas, the greatest individual seasons by skaters since 1980 (excluding 99/66):
1) Steve Yzerman 1988-89
2) Paul Coffey 1985-86
3) Ray Borque 1989-90
4) Joe Sakic 2000-01
5) Chris Pronger 1999-00
6) Sergei Federov 1993-94
7) Doug Gilmour 1992-93
8) Paul Coffey 1984-85
9) Eric Lindros 1994-95
10) Dennis Potvin 1980-81

So there are no good hockeyplayers in the game today or what? Or haven't been the last 8 years?

During the last 30 years, 8 of you top 10 played in the first 14 years -- which also happens to be the time when most goals were scored in the NHL.

I've put together some relative numbers that shows why this thinking just is sooooo flawed:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=675823

rallymaster19

So there are no good hockeyplayers in the game today or what? Or haven't been the last 8 years?

During the last 30 years, 8 of you top 10 played in the first 14 years -- which also happens to be the time when most goals were scored in the NHL.

I've put together some relative numbers that shows why this thinking just is sooooo flawed:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=675823

On that list, I wasn't going for the best statistical season but the best overall. Half the list being comprised of defenseman, and including 2 Selke winners supports that claim. Personally, I don't think there's been a regular season by a skater that will really stand the test of time in recent memory.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
I agree great scorers will put up great numbers no matter who they're playing with but the more offensively gifted teammates they have, the better their year-end totals will be. Even with the example of players you've given. Gretzky left the Oilers when he was 27, right in the heart of his prime but never did he come close to touching 200 points again in his career. When he left his HHOF linemates and went to SoCal, the effects of playing with guys like Bernie Nicholls and Thomas Sandstrom showed. 168 points would have been a disappointment in Edmonton, but that was the highest point total he'd ever reach again in his career.
Few players had the advantage of playing in a system that was all offense, all the time. Gretzky's number drop in Socal had a little to do with a new system/Coach and teammates and later, his buggered back than it did his linemates.

His final 2 seasons in Edmonton were 183 and 164 points(On pace for 183). His drop to 168(On pace for 172) was not a huge margin given he was being thrown into a whole new team and system with a far lesser transition game in place centered around him and that his numbers had begun decreasing before he even left Edmonton.

Marcel Dionne never played with a Kurri or Anderson-caliber player but even his best numbers came in years where he had much better offensively-oriented forwards. In fact, in his best statistical season where he put up 137 points, 50-goal scorer Charlie Simmer finished second in scoring on the team with 101 points in 64 games. Had Simmer played a full 80 game season like Dionne, his projected total would have been 126 points.

Marcel Dionne played with absolute garbage in Detroit and still put up 121 points, and in his early LA days, 122 points with Williams and Murphy. One could attribute his number jump to Simmer/Taylor, but it had more to do with him growing as a player and being in a team where the system was built around him for a longer period of time. Simmer and Taylor were not bad players even without Dionne. I do not know why everyone acts like they would be bums without him.

Arguments can be made that Lemiuex's best seasons adjusted for era and injuries came when he had Jagr and a much improved supporting cast. I didn't watch Howe or Bathgate at their best, but I certainly don't think it's appropriate to say Howe didn't have any help in Detroit with talented teammates.
Lemieux's best 2 season, even after adjustments were 1989 and 1993(The freak year).

Are there seasons where you can find players doing it all themselves without great linemates. Yes, sure. But when looking at the all-time greatest seasons, with the evidence I've shown, a player has always had at least one other gifted offensive-player on his team. This is a fact. The greatest seasons where a player does it all himself without significant help comes from guys like Bure and Ovechkin. But neither of them play defense, and their best seasons still weren't at the level of Yzerman's best season.

This is not even remotely close to accurate.

This argument is getting old.

There were plenty of players who played with Lesser linemates and thrived by being the go to guy, and they were not all cherry picking Pavel Bure's. Ovechkin is nothing like that to begin with, although he is no saint.

Yzerman's numbers actually decreased when they picked up Fedorov, and the pressure was taken off him to be the only go to guy.

Jagr was much the same. Ron Francis left and was replaced by Straka and Kip Miller, and Jagr does not miss a beat. In fact, he had his best season ever(IMO) after Francis left.

Now, Jagr is also an example of another aspect we were discussing regarding the Big 4(Howe, Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux) and how they can make gaudy jumps in anyone's numbers. TheDevilMadeMe covered that in his post.

Adam Oates is another example of a man who scored it with the best, or with the fringe players. Adam Oates and Brett Hull had Magic Chemistry. Oates proved he was capable of carrying on that superstar level mega scoring with Fool's gold Joe Juneau and Dmitri Kvartalnov in Boston the year(Neely was out all year) he left and then maintaining that excellence the next year with half a season of Neely, while Hull dropped off a bit with Janney and Shanahan.

Earlier today, I mentioned how Jari Kurri didn't miss a beat his first season without Gretzky.
Kurri's last year with Gretzky: 43 goals, 96 points in 80 games
Kurri's first year without Gretzky: 44 goals, 102 points in 76 games.

Mark Recchi went from the Pens to the Flyers, and was stuck with completely different linemates(Rookie Lindros) yet did not miss a beat.

Mario Lemieux scored 199 points with Rob Brown and Bob Errey.

Hull and Mikita rarely played on the same line and played with lesser players on their team more often than not, yet both were constant scoring title threats.

Hawerchuk went from the Jets to the Sabres, where he was with better linemates like Turgeon, Mogilny, Andreychuk and later, LaFontaine, and his numbers did not suddenly skyrocket.

Marcel Dionne was scoring 122 points with the Dead wings and nobody on his wings, and 130-37 points with Much better superstars like Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmer on his line in LA. If you want to argue that that 7-10% increase was due to better linemates instead of the changing philosophy of teams going to all out offense, I won't argue. But it was a marginal increase, and I have always advocated that linemates might make a 5-10 point difference, but that the superstars will score big no matter who you put them with.

Mike Bossy. In the year 1984-85, Trottier was recovering from a string of injuries which required surgery, and as a result, was relegated to lower line duties. Gillies at this point, was ready to retire and was no longer what he was. Sutter was moved to Bossy's line all year, along with Tonelli. Both Sutter and Tonelli had career years in which they never came close to matching ever again, while Bossy scored around the exact same clip he would have with Trottier/Gillies on his line. He never missed a beat without his superstar linemates and 2nd liners replacing them.

Hmmm. The argument works both ways. Notice how Adam Oates had absolutely no problem living without Hull? In Boston, he was put on a line with a Rookie Joe Juneau and a Rookie Kvarntalnov and he had a career year. Hull by contrast was given a lesser center in Janney and an up and coming Shanahan.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Few players had the advantage of playing in a system that was all offense, all the time. Gretzky's number drop in Socal had a little to do with a new system/Coach and teammates and later, his buggered back than it did his linemates.

His final 2 seasons in Edmonton were 183 and 164 points(On pace for 183). His drop to 168(On pace for 172) was not a huge margin given he was being thrown into a whole new team and system with a far lesser transition game in place centered around him and that his numbers had begun decreasing before he even left Edmonton.

Marcel Dionne played with absolute garbage in Detroit and still put up 121 points, and in his early LA days, 122 points with Williams and Murphy. One could attribute his number jump to Simmer/Taylor, but it had more to do with him growing as a player and being in a team where the system was built around him for a longer period of time. Simmer and Taylor were not bad players even without Dionne. I do not know why everyone acts like they would be bums without him.

Lemieux's best 2 season, even after adjustments were 1989 and 1993(The freak year).

There were plenty of players who played with Lesser linemates and thrived by being the go to guy, and they were not all cherry picking Pavel Bure's. Ovechkin is nothing like that to begin with, although he is no saint.

Yzerman's numbers actually decreased when they picked up Fedorov, and the pressure was taken off him to be the only go to guy.

Jagr was much the same. Ron Francis left and was replaced by Straka and Kip Miller, and Jagr does not miss a beat. In fact, he had his best season ever(IMO) after Francis left.

Now, Jagr is also an example of another aspect we were discussing regarding the Big 4(Howe, Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux) and how they can make gaudy jumps in anyone's numbers. TheDevilMadeMe covered that in his post.

Adam Oates is another example of a man who scored it with the best, or with the fringe players. Adam Oates and Brett Hull had Magic Chemistry. Oates proved he was capable of carrying on that superstar level mega scoring with Fool's gold Joe Juneau and Dmitri Kvartalnov in Boston the year(Neely was out all year) he left and then maintaining that excellence the next year with half a season of Neely, while Hull dropped off a bit with Janney and Shanahan.

Earlier today, I mentioned how Jari Kurri didn't miss a beat his first season without Gretzky.

Mark Recchi went from the Pens to the Flyers, and was stuck with completely different linemates(Rookie Lindros) yet did not miss a beat.

Hull and Mikita rarely played on the same line and played with lesser players on their team more often than not, yet both were constant scoring title threats.

Hawerchuk went from the Jets to the Sabres, where he was with better linemates like Turgeon, Mogilny, Andreychuk and later, LaFontaine, and his numbers did not suddenly skyrocket.

Marcel Dionne was scoring 122 points with the Dead wings and nobody on his wings, and 130-37 points with Much better superstars like Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmer on his line in LA. If you want to argue that that 7-10% increase was due to better linemates instead of the changing philosophy of teams going to all out offense, I won't argue. But it was a marginal increase, and I have always advocated that linemates might make a 5-10 point difference, but that the superstars will score big no matter who you put them with.

Mike Bossy. In the year 1984-85, Trottier was recovering from a string of injuries which required surgery, and as a result, was relegated to lower line duties. Gillies at this point, was ready to retire and was no longer what he was. Sutter was moved to Bossy's line all year, along with Tonelli. Both Sutter and Tonelli had career years in which they never came close to matching ever again, while Bossy scored around the exact same clip he would have with Trottier/Gillies on his line. He never missed a beat without his superstar linemates and 2nd liners replacing them.

Hmmm. The argument works both ways. Notice how Adam Oates had absolutely no problem living without Hull? In Boston, he was put on a line with a Rookie Joe Juneau and a Rookie Kvarntalnov and he had a career year. Hull by contrast was given a lesser center in Janney and an up and coming Shanahan.

I disagree with Mark Recchi, he could score on his own but his numbers were inflated when he played with guys who were better than him. All 3 of his top 5 scoring seasons consisted of him playing with people who were better than him. If he was top 10 scorer by himself, he would have cracked the top 10 during his 5 years as a Montreal Canadian, yet he never did. Then he goes on the leclair-lindros line in 2000 and cracks the top 3 scorers, coincidence yeah right.

There is a reason people like Teemu Selanne and Pavel Bure were labelled superstars and mark Reechi was always considered a journeyman star. Reechi was never a franchise player.

Mark Reechi went from 4th in scoring to 13th, as soon as he left the penguins. I would say playing with Mario for 26 games and playing with coffey the whole year helps out. Reechi doesnt out point a healthy yzerman by himself.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
IMO the one season that gets completely overshadowed is Larry Robinson's 1976-77 season. I hate citing +/-, but that season, he was +120 or so. Only Orr at his absolute best had a higher mark. IMO Robinson should have won the Hart that season, but the voters have always favoured forwards (Orr only won 2, which IMO is ridiculous considering he was easily the best player in the world for most of his time in the NHL) so they gave it to Lafleur instead.

I recall him playing 19 minutes out of 20 in a period in a playoff game that year:amazed:

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Jaromir Jagr has been mentionned a few times in some of these threads. What I see is the mention of his 127 points in 1998-99 and how he led the league in scoring by a margin of 20 points over Selanne who had Karyia on his team finishing 3rd.

That was a great season considering the circumstances of it being dead in the middle of the "Dead Puck" era and the fact that Jagr almost outscored the second leading scorer of the Penguins by almost 50 points.

Most have forgot to mention or just forgot altogether that that wasn't even his best season.

His best season was back in 1995-96 when he scored 149 points, 62 goals and 87 assists. The points and the assists being records for wingers. Some will say that it was because of Lemieux and his effect on Jagr. Well some of it is partly due to Super Mario but I remember that season a lot of people and players alike all felt Jagr was the clear number 2 player of the NHL. Actually what is forgotten is that Jagr played with Lemieux mostly on the powerplay but his regular linemate was Petr Nedved.

Eventhough that season Lemieux outscored Jagr by 11 points despite missing a dozen games or so, it remains that Jagr was second in scoring that year and finished 29 points ahead of Sakic who was third in scoring. Sakic himself had some pretty good help as Forsberg finished 4th in scoring with 118 points not too far behind.

1995-96 was a highscoring season and the last real high soring season that the NHL has seen but it does not compare to the scoring of the 1980's, so really it is plausible to say that Jagr's 149 points in 1996 (regardless if it was aided by Lemieux' production or not) could equal Yzerman's 155 points and even surpass it.

My question is why does Jagr's 149 points in 1996 get overlooked in terms of greatness and yet some do make an argument for his 127 points in 1998-99?

poise

Apr 5, 2008
My question is why does Jagr's 149 points in 1996 get overlooked in terms of greatness and yet some do make an argument for his 127 points in 1998-99?

Great post here, and it brings up a good question.

Performance wise, I agree with you that Jagr's 1995-1996 season was his best ever (and it certainly must be considered among the greatest I have seen from the early 1980's).

What strikes me about that season was that Lemieux was somewhat inconsistent in his play and production (by his own standards of course). He would have huge games and then games where he 'only' got a point or two and didn't play too well (relative to himself).

Jagr on the other hand, was the Penguins most consistent player. Mario scored 100 points in less than 40 games that year I believe and then had a somewhat streaky rest of the year. Jagr was just machine like, always coming up big for Pittsburgh. You knew what you were going to get out of him. Jagr was also a better player at even strength, both visibly, and production wise (I think). Lemieux did a lot of his damage on the Power Play.

Obviously, there were a lot of situation factors that allowed this kind of great season. We saw the Francis-Lemieux-Jagr line here (although as you correctly point out, this line was used mostly on the Power Play and when scoring was needed - it really became a consistent even strength line the following season) and it was obvious that Jagr would benefit from opposing team's checking focused elsewhere, but Jagr certainly made the most of every benefit he enjoyed.

Comparatively, his Hart winning season three years later was "not as good" in the sense that Jagr simply did not produce as well as he did three years earlier. With that being said, his play was better than his production might show, and wasn't too far off from the 1995-1996 campaign (from my impressions), and this would probably be explained by the differences in his supporting casts, and to a lesser extent, the context of the Dead Puck Era.

In that sense, Jagr dominating the league in 1998-1999 with a much reduced supporting cast from what he usually enjoyed can be said to be a more impressive season than his 1995-1996 campaign. I don't exactly agree, though I do believe that they were both very close, as Jagr's two best seasons ever.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Poise,

Thank you for agreeing with me on this. In comparing Jagr's best seasons you could also throw in there his season with the Rangers (2005-06) and his injury shortened season (1999-00) in which he led the league in scoring despite missing 19 games.

The question remains as to why whenever a discussion of great seasons comes up, why Jagr's 1995-96 season is always overlooked. Some don't even seem to remember that season. As if playing with Lemieux was a crime.

The argument of consistency brought up that year regarding Lemieux and Jagr is also very interesting because I have a question to raise. Jagr over the years has shown that he likes scoring and winning games rather than pile on the scoring in garbage time when his team has huge leads. In 1996 Lemieux had a few 6 and 7 point games while Jagr mostly did his damage in 4 or 3 point games when the games were tighter (his 12 game winning goals, team record) speaks volumes. (Anyone remember the time in Washigton when he had 7 points through 2 periods but decided to sit out the 3rd?) What if Jagr had chosen to score some points in games when they had huge leads, couldn't he possibly have maybe caught up to Lemieux?

How about this, wasn't Lemieux' contribution and statistical domination also due in some part to Jagr. I mean when we talk about the greatest dynamic duos in NHL history and sports period Super Mario and Mario Jr are mentioned all the time. So clearly both benefitted from playing with one another.

I know Jagr never won a Stanley Cup without Mario, but Mario never won one without Jagr. Also it's unfair since Jagr was only a teenager when the Penguins teams were powerhouses. By the time Jagr was the leader of the team, the Penguins were much weaker with no remaining Hall of Famers.

Every Superstar that has won a Stanley Cup had very strong supporting casts. I think had things been a bit better for Jagr especially in those Mario-less Penguins teams, a break or two and Jagr could have won at least another Stanley Cup.

Another question to be raised then is this: Does Jagr's 149 points in 1996 compare to Yzerman's 155 points in 1988-89 and where does Jagr's 149 points rank all-time?

Last edited:

rallymaster19

Great players will always put up good numbers despite who they're playing with. However, if they are given the opportunity to play with other players that are also offensively-gifted, then they will find the most success at these times (taking into consideration their age, team needs and coaching strategy).

Almost all the examples you give yourself supports this claim. Of course the Edmonton system had an affect on Gretzky's totals but his best years, where he broke all the records and won all his cups were in Edmonton. It's hard to just dismiss that.

Marcel Dionne was quite consistent during his career, at least in the regular season anyway, so it can be argued that whether he had talent around him or not he put up points. But his best season statistically was with Simmer, probably the best linemate he had in his career. This supports the claim that playing with talent helps increase personal totals.

By far and away Kurri's best seasons came playing with Wayne Gretzky and playing on the Edmonton Oilers. Kurri's lowest single-season point totals in Edmonton were 75 points in his rookie year and 86 in his sophmore year. After he went went to LA, he would never score more than 87 points or 31 goals in a season again in his career.

Jagr's best season, statistically anyway, came playing with Lemiuex. Hawerchuck was 27 when he went to Buffalo, and had already showed signs of decline before leaving, dropping his season point totals two consecutive years and by 40 points in that span. Bossy still had his best year playing with Trottier. What the 84-85 season proves was that Bossy was a great player. What the 81-82 season proves is that Bossy was at his best when he had strong offensive minded players like Trottier and Potvin. Recchi's already been talked about.

Lemiuex's best overall season I think was his 160 in 60 but his best full season he had nobody linemates scoring 199 points. He did have Coffey with him but Lemiuex's injuries really limited what we could have seen from him. Had he played a full career, I don't think 88-89 would have been his best season.

Oates is probably the exception to this rule though. For the most part, when he had guys like Hull, Neely and Borque, he put up some of his best totals. But his absolute best season came playing with guys you wouldn't have expected to help him get to 142 points. But from what I can tell, Oates is the exception. For every Adam Oates, there is a Brett Hull, a Jari Kurri, a Jarmior Jagr and a Mike Bossy.

How many guys have there actually been whose best seasons came during their peak playing with grossly inferior linemates and teammates? I don't think there have been many, and that is why I rank Yzerman's 88-89 season so high.

Ogopogo*

Great players will always put up good numbers despite who they're playing with. However, if they are given the opportunity to play with other players that are also offensively-gifted, then they will find the most success at these times (taking into consideration their age, team needs and coaching strategy).

Almost all the examples you give yourself supports this claim. Of course the Edmonton system had an affect on Gretzky's totals but his best years, where he broke all the records and won all his cups were in Edmonton. It's hard to just dismiss that.

Marcel Dionne was quite consistent during his career, at least in the regular season anyway, so it can be argued that whether he had talent around him or not he put up points. But his best season statistically was with Simmer, probably the best linemate he had in his career. This supports the claim that playing with talent helps increase personal totals.

By far and away Kurri's best seasons came playing with Wayne Gretzky and playing on the Edmonton Oilers. Kurri's lowest single-season point totals in Edmonton were 75 points in his rookie year and 86 in his sophmore year. After he went went to LA, he would never score more than 87 points or 31 goals in a season again in his career.

Jagr's best season, statistically anyway, came playing with Lemiuex. Hawerchuck was 27 when he went to Buffalo, and had already showed signs of decline before leaving, dropping his season point totals two consecutive years and by 40 points in that span. Bossy still had his best year playing with Trottier. What the 84-85 season proves was that Bossy was a great player. What the 81-82 season proves is that Bossy was at his best when he had strong offensive minded players like Trottier and Potvin. Recchi's already been talked about.

Lemiuex's best overall season I think was his 160 in 60 but his best full season he had nobody linemates scoring 199 points. He did have Coffey with him but Lemiuex's injuries really limited what we could have seen from him. Had he played a full career, I don't think 88-89 would have been his best season.

Oates is probably the exception to this rule though. For the most part, when he had guys like Hull, Neely and Borque, he put up some of his best totals. But his absolute best season came playing with guys you wouldn't have expected to help him get to 142 points. But from what I can tell, Oates is the exception. For every Adam Oates, there is a Brett Hull, a Jari Kurri, a Jarmior Jagr and a Mike Bossy.

How many guys have there actually been whose best seasons came during their peak playing with grossly inferior linemates and teammates? I don't think there have been many, and that is why I rank Yzerman's 88-89 season so high.

It's called getting old. Every one of your examples shows that once past their physical prime, players totals go on the decline.

Let me guess: It's Messier's fault the Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad