WC: YT: Getzlaf's knee-on-knee hit on Juraj Mikus CAN vs SVK QF

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasto1979

Feb 1, 2012
I think refs are joke at this years WC but at the end of the day it is knee on knee so why you guys keep saying something about IIHF rules.

this video is not from another planet

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
That looked a lot like the Doan hit that was 5 and game in Game 2 of Kings-Coyotes. Player A goes to make a legal hit, Player B puts himself in a vulnerable position at the last second, and Player A has no time to react, resulting in a dangerous looking hit. It is definitely a gray area penalty because Player B is just as responsible for getting himself hurt as Player A.

Exactly.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I don't understand why some NHL fans are complaining about the call so much. Let alone saying Mikus dived. That's embarrassing. Also, the fact that most of you are calling out the IIHF rules is somewhat annoying since they are what they are. Not perfect always, but they are rules. Some of you posters are acting like these WC competitions are called the same way as women's hockey tournaments.

It was an unfortunate situation. It was an illegal check. The call was according to the rules (yes, he got injured).

Sometimes it just annoys me that NHL fans seem to enjoy hockey from a high horse, and seem to think that it is the only hockey league, and the only hockey that is being played on this planet.

rasto1979

Feb 1, 2012
i would of called a penalty but at that time in the game 5 minutes is to much... hope mikus is ok

OK so what you are saying is that if somebody dies on ice in last two minutes of hockey game let's just ingore it?

Perhaps you wanna rephrase that :sarcasm:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was going for a clean hit, Mikus tried to dodge at the last second and this happened. It's not like Getzlaf stuck his knee out when Mikus changed directions, he was coming in for a standard (hard) hit, and as far as I can see did not shift his knee positioning at all pre-hit, if anything you can see him clearly trying to throw his upper body into the hit, any shift in knee positioning is just standard movements due to him turning. Hopefully Mikus is OK, but I don't even think this should have been a penalty, Getzlaf really did nothing wrong IMO.

Last edited:

gago

Jun 16, 2011
That looked a lot like the Doan hit that was 5 and game in Game 2 of Kings-Coyotes. Player A goes to make a legal hit, Player B puts himself in a vulnerable position at the last second, and Player A has no time to react, resulting in a dangerous looking hit. It is definitely a gray area penalty because Player B is just as responsible for getting himself hurt as Player A.

How is player B responsible? Since when is "trying to avoid a completely unnecessary hit" "putting yourself in a vulnerable position"? "Gray area"? Are you even serious? So you say that every player should just let others hit him as they wish, and like your countrymen said, just stand there and "take it like a real man"? The diving accuse is just insulting. Not to Mikuš, not to Slovakia, but to the game of hockey. You are either lying to yourselves or just blind, that was a reckless season-ending hit. Unintentional maybe, but reckless, pointless... Dirty hit and an injury-causing hit = 5 minutes, bottom line.

Honestly, what would you say it the roles were reversed? You would be the first ones to shout "UNCIVILIZED COMMUNIST EASTERN EUROPEAN BARBARIANS, THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO PLAY HOCKEY!"

Seriously Canada, I like you, you play great hockey every year including this year, but have at least some decency and learn how to lose. Instead of making up excuses and destroying your own cities when you lose.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
How is player B responsible? Since when is "trying to avoid a completely unnecessary hit" "putting yourself in a vulnerable position"? "Gray area"? Are you even serious? So you say that every player should just let others hit him as they wish, and like your countrymen said, just stand there and "take it like a real man"? The diving accuse is just insulting. Not to Mikuš, not to Slovakia, but to the game of hockey. You are either lying to yourselves or just blind, that was a reckless season-ending hit. Unintentional maybe, but reckless, pointless... Dirty hit and an injury-causing hit = 5 minutes, bottom line.

Honestly, what would you say it the roles were reversed? You would be the first ones to shout "UNCIVILIZED COMMUNIST EASTERN EUROPEAN BARBARIANS, THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO PLAY HOCKEY!"

Seriously Canada, I like you, you play great hockey every year including this year, but have at least some decency and learn how to lose. Instead of making up excuses and destroying your own cities when you lose.

Mikuš jumped out of the way to avoid the hit, leaving behind his lower leg behind to bear the brunt of the impact. I compared such a move to turning you back at the last minute on an opponent who is trying to hit you along the boards. In both situations one is not giving one's opponent a chance to adjust his point of attack and, indeed, are leaving a more vulnerable part of your body in the path of contact. Had Mikuš not jumped at the last minute, the knee injury would not have occurred because his torso would have received the force of the impact. A person's torso can flex backward/sideway; a knee cannot. Getzlaf did not shift his knee outwards at all (i.e., reaching for the knee-on-knee contact). Overall, yes I believe players who are injured can, in certain situations, be jointly responsible for injury by putting themselves in vulnerable situations

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Because he dodged the hit with everything except his leg.

Why is player A responsible? Everything was clean until player B dodges, leaving leg vulnerable, and impossible to avoid. There was no hunting with the knee, and no last minute extending of the knee.

Seriously Slovakia, I like you, you played a great game and deserved the win, but the hit was unfortunate. Hopefully Mikus will recover. He certainly would be crippled for life if Getzlaf had tried to knee him in the position he put himself.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
When you line someone up for a hit and then they dodge, its kind of natural to try and still get a piece of him which is why we see these types of knee on knee hits. Doesn't make it right though. Penalty for sure, not sure about the major. But I can see why it was called though.

I doubt the player was diving. I had a similar injury on a similar play when I played high school hockey. It's extremely painful and I think I did the same thing that Mikus was doing...It sucks, it hurts, and you end up screaming and rolling around. Sucks so much...

GoWingsGoBills

May 17, 2012
I usually will argue against any and all things Getzlaf (I'm a Wings fan and thus hate Anaheim players), but this was not his fault or his intent and it should not have been a penalty.

Getzlaf was lined up for a perfectly clean check. When he saw Mikus trying to avoid the hit he pulled his knee in and attempted to hit him with his shoulder.

The only reason it was knee-on-knee contact is because Mikus failed to get entirely out of the way. In fact, Mikus' knee was further out of the position of his body than Getzlaf's was.

This is hockey. If you are timid, sometimes you can get hurt. If you don't want to do the smart thing and take a legal check, the onus is on you to prevent yourself from being injured.

ufon68

Jun 9, 2011
Anyone saying Getzlaf did not do this on purpose, i suggest you re-watch the video(from the angle the video starts at) a couple of times.

Take your homer glasses off first and focus on Getzlaf leg, not his shoulders(yes, he was going for a shoulder hit as well), when he saw he was not gonna make the hit he wanted, he still tried to stop the Slovak by extending his leg, and he did.

And please, save us the nonsense about bad reffing and how NHL refs rule, every NHL match thread you open on this site has people whining about how refs hurt their team and how NHL reffing stinks. It takes balls for a ref to call this penalty on canada in a 3-3 game, but obvious faul is obvious and this was a correct call.

The refs did a great job here.

Last edited:

hermes20

Aug 6, 2010
Anyone saying Getzlaf did not do this on purpose, i suggest you re-watch the video(from the angle the video starts at) a couple of times.

Take your homer glasses off first and focus on Getzlaf leg, not his shoulders(yes, he was going for a shoulder hit as well), when he saw he was not gonna make the hit he wanted, he still tried to stop the Slovak by extending his leg, and he did.

And please, save us the nonsense about bad reffing and how NHL refs rule, every NHL match thread you open on this site has people whining about how refs hurt their team and how NHL reffing stinks. It takes balls for a ref to call this penalty on canada in a 3-3 game, but obvious faul is obvious and this was a correct call.

The refs did a great job here.

Ya that smart. Lets just ignore the better, closer angle and just focus at what the regular angle appears to shows

i looked at the video very closely and imo it doesn't look knee on knee, looks like getzlaf made contant with Mikus' thigh... dont know it that matters though

ufon68

Jun 9, 2011
Ya that smart. Lets just ignore the better, closer angle and just focus at what the regular angle appears to shows

i looked at the video very closely and imo it doesn't look knee on knee, looks like getzlaf made contant with Mikus' thigh... dont know it that matters though

He sticks the leg forward and slightly sideways, the close shot is from behind, so obviously you won't see much in terms of him sticking the leg forward. You need to pick the angle which gives you the most complete picture of the leg movement and that happens to be the regular camera in this case.

hermes20

Aug 6, 2010
He sticks the leg forward and slightly sideways, the close shot is from behind, so obviously you won't see much in terms of him sticking the leg forward. You need to pick the angle which gives you the most complete picture of the leg movement and that happens to be the regular camera in this case.

Stick his leg out forward? thats call momentum. how does a someone thats skating stick their leg out forward?

Corax

May 1, 2007
What a bunch of BS. This would be suspension in NHL. As anyone knows, there is a responsibility of the hitting player to make effort to stop dangerous hit. They were 2 meters from each other, when Mikus changed trajectory and Getzlaff did as well. he was hunting him as a r5eaction to clean hit before. Getzlaf could have avoid the hit easily, but instead he tried to change direction towards him with knee first. If you look at it, it could not have ended up differently. Sharp left turn means left leg leading OR? BS hit. 80% chance to knee someone even if you tried hard not to. So please, cut the BS.

kajoo

Jan 17, 2003
Slovakia
Visit site
Getzlaf probably thought for a second he´s Scott ****ing Stevens :facepalm:

If he wanted to gain momentum he should go for it waaay earlier, not 2 minutes before the end when the game went into OT. Also the execution of this hit deserves a major howler. Whoever says that Mikuš should accept being hit like a man should realise that same logics is also valid for Getzlaf who should accept that he´s going to miss the hit and move on. Getzlaf decided to extend his knee opposite Mikus´ thig. Poor decision in the worst time of a game, poor on so many levels.

ufon68

Jun 9, 2011
Stick his leg out forward? thats call momentum. how does a someone thats skating stick their leg out forward?

Skating ? He was just bracing himself for the impact, stopped skating seconds ago.

How ? I told you to watch the video.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
It's Getzlaf's responsibility to hit fairly and cleanly. Mikus, whilst he has the puck, shouldn't have to worry about being in the right position for the opponent to hit him..

What planet are some of you living on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille