WC: YT: Getzlaf's knee-on-knee hit on Juraj Mikus CAN vs SVK QF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappo40*

He went to hit him, he moved last second, thats why it was knee on knee...Had Mikus took the hit like a man, he wouldn't have, firstly, gotten "injured" and secondly it would be 2 or less...

Whatever..

Thorulf

May 17, 2010
Uppsala
Not only was it a stupid move with no respect for your opponent, it was also a total lack of respect against your own team. Take a penalty in the late third, at the position on the ice is just so dumb.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite a surprise who is in the penalty box when the tournament ending GWG is scored.

Way to go Getzlaf. More drinking and women and leading example. When your concentration is not 100%, this kind of things happen.

It takes some talent to spoil the Anaheim season first, then Canada WHC tournament in a row.

You are my hero.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
He went to hit him, he moved last second, thats why it was knee on knee...Had Mikus took the hit like a man, he wouldn't have, firstly, gotten "injured" and secondly it would be 2 or less...

Whatever..

This is closer to the truth:
He went to hit him, he moved last second, Getzlaf adjusts to make sure he catches him and thats why it was knee on knee...Had Getlaf accepted he missed his opponent, he wouldn't have, firstly, gotten "a major" and secondly he would have had a chance to win.

Before you start calling me a liar, just look at the posted youtube video at the 0:55-1:00 mark. Mikus dekes Getzlaf and there's no way after that Getzlaf can hit Mikus on his body. Stupid hit and dangerous hit.

Ow, and besides. What difference does it make if its a 5 or a 2? Its still a 5-on-3 and its still 5 on 4 for pretty much the rest of the game.

Last edited:

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It was definitely a penalty. The contact was clearly knee-on-knee and I don't think Mikus did anything to create the contact, as has been suggested. You can debate whether it should have been 2 minutes or 5 minutes, sure. But it was definitely a penalty.

What a terrible way to go out. That's why I hate these single-elimination tournaments. You could have a great tournament for 6 games and all of a sudden you have one bad moment and you're out.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
It's a penalty, I think his intentions where "clean" but it's a very poor execution of the hit from Getzlaf. Nevertheless, it's dirty and reckless regardless of his intentions.

I can definitely see a a major under the IIHF rules.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
It was definitely a penalty. The contact was clearly knee-on-knee and I don't think Mikus did anything to create the contact, as has been suggested. You can debate whether it should have been 2 minutes or 5 minutes, sure. But it was definitely a penalty.

What a terrible way to go out. That's why I hate these single-elimination tournaments. You could have a great tournament for 6 games and all of a sudden you have one bad moment and you're out.

It's part of the thrill :)

Getzlaf had no need to go for a big hit at such a decisive moment, he could've easily aborted mission. Really stupid move, especially being team captain.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
The Slovak player was still in pain and down on the ground after he had gotten off the ice. Just acting, right?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's hard to make windows into men's souls where injuries are concerned. Don't know Mikus' history, and you just can't tell if someone is injured or not from the outside.

Yet there is no question that this was a terrible play by Getzlaf, who put his leg right out there in a classic knee-on-knee pose, locking his leg. It was an awful time of the game to do it. Lack of poise and absolutely a major, to these eyes. Intent to injure isn't the important factor.

As for Mikus, I don't hope he's injured, but I do hope he wasn't just embellishing the play either. It certainly looked like a bad injury. Hopefully he can come back and play in the SF. It looks like it could be a serious ACL/MCL injury.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Lol, right Mikúš was diving. And I guess he went to the hospital just because he wanted to say hi to the Finnish nurses :facepalm:

I don't think he was faking it but there is no need for a grown man to do a couple extra barrel rolls and go into the fetal position and do the sideways worm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad