WC: YT: Getzlaf's knee-on-knee hit on Juraj Mikus CAN vs SVK QF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
2 becomes 5 automatically when there's an injury per IIHF rules.

Seriously?

I haven't seen much of the tournament and didn't know that. But it seems like you couldn't create a better rule to encourage diving and embellishing injuries than that one.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't think he was faking it but there is no need for a grown man to do a couple extra barrel rolls and go into the fetal position and do the sideways worm.
You ever had your knee ****ed up? Me neither, but I can only imagine how painful that must be.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
2 becomes 5 automatically when there's an injury per IIHF rules.

How and who is the one to diagnose these injuries? Not saying you made the rule, just pointing out its absolute absurdity. It without a doubt encourages embellishment. The fact of the matter is its a 2 minute penalty but becomes a 5 minute penalty because Mikus appears hurt, whether or not he is. Who knows, he may be.

And I love how people think the camera in the tunnel is considered behind closed doors.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
You ever had your knee ****ed up? Me neither, but I can only imagine how painful that must be.

As I was in that situation once I can confirm that. And additionally you are shocked. I afterwards didn't know what had happend and what I did just in the seconds after the injury.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

As someone who had his knee ****ed up (not once but twice, once a meniscus tear, the other time a ligament tear) it hurts like hell, you can't imagine how painful it is until you experience it first hand.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The is def. worth 5 minutes to anyone that isnt biased. I guess the IIHF rules is that a 5 min penalty is an autmatic game penalty.

There is a reason why knee on knee's a punsihed hard, and that is the injury risk.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Stupid rule IMO...2 minutes max, bonehead move on the hit late in the game but it didn't deserve 5 and a game.

Lol if it happened in NHL game, there would already be a 1000 posts' thread with a lot of cursing and calling all the worst on Cetzlaf's head. And I bet he'd be suspended as well.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Lol if it happened in NHL game, there would already be a 1000 posts' thread with a lot of cursing and calling all the worst on Cetzlaf's head. And I bet he'd be suspended as well.

This is very true, but when the homer glases are on, some people just cant see the truth.

Tofi

May 17, 2012
Seriously?

I haven't seen much of the tournament and didn't know that. But it seems like you couldn't create a better rule to encourage diving and embellishing injuries than that one.

Do u understand that calls like that are here to stay thx to NHL. NHL clubs are afraid to let the players represent their country because of potential injuries. Thus international community needed to pass rules to eliminate the probability of injuries straight ahead.

btw: The NHL stance on Olympics is simply laughable.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California

Just about to say this. If he was wearing a Ducks jersey, especially.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
As a Ducks fan, I hope Getz didn't hurt his knee
on this play. Not only is there a heck of a party in Helsinki tonight,
the bar scene is just ramping up in Newport BEach.
Maybe Ms. Orange County will be impressed that he knows Teemu?:sarcasm:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

You mean like Morris' suspension for his hit last game?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
A question for those claiming this should have been 2 mins, what kind of a knee on knee hit would it take to have major penalty in the NHL?

Cappo40*

Seriously?

Honestly, they should just inherit Football (Soccer) rules for IIHF tournaments. You get tapped, you fall down and flail and get a penalty against the opponent...

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
The is def. worth 5 minutes to anyone that isnt biased. I guess the IIHF rules is that a 5 min penalty is an autmatic game penalty.

There is a reason why knee on knee's a punsihed hard, and that is the injury risk.
Agree. Clearly a 5 min pen, according to the rules anyway.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Getzlaf went for the check and unfortunately missed it, but he never tried to knee him. An accident. I'm sure that hurt a lot, but a major when it wasn't on purpose seems a bit strict to me. Getzlafs leg barely moves, and it's just to position himself for the hit.

If the IIHF rules are 5 minutes if the player gets injured then I guess it was 5, but imo when he clearly didn't intend to do it, he shouldn't serve more than 2.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
That looked a lot like the Doan hit that was 5 and game in Game 2 of Kings-Coyotes. Player A goes to make a legal hit, Player B puts himself in a vulnerable position at the last second, and Player A has no time to react, resulting in a dangerous looking hit. It is definitely a gray area penalty because Player B is just as responsible for getting himself hurt as Player A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad