You're the GM...

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What he's saying has merit, though. The way our Top 6 is constructed, if something isn't working, the only option for an offensive player is to be shunted down to the 4th line to try to figure it out in 8 minutes per game.

If we had three scoring lines, we would have a lot more flexibility to help various offensemen find their game.

I agree we need to spread the minutes a little too to help this problem.

For example, running something like:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Vesalainen - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Copp - Roslovic

And then Lowry on 4th... would allow us to give Vesalainen a fairly cushy spot with upped minutes to find his game, while allowing Ehlers + Laine maximum growth, and allowing Connor and Roslo good minutes too. This is assuming Perreault is gone.

Maybe I'm wrong and I underestimate the need for an 18 minute-per-game shutdown line. I dunno.

I like those lines except that your 18 minute per night shutdown line might become Tanev-Lowry-Appleton. :laugh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess the solution is to have four lines that individually can do more than one thing. Like and actual team. Build a team that is offensively gifted (which we have) and get them to play defense as well. Every line.

Play that way or get fewer minutes no matter how much you get paid or your age.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm going to go with what I think Chevy will do. Not a dream line up

Connor sheif wheeler
Ehlers little laine
Copp Lowry perrault
Vesa roslo Appleton

Morrisey buff
Kulikov Myers
Niku chariot
Poolman

Lose tanev, get futures for trouba and add ELCs. Almost the same cap as last year and a worse team

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I see McIntyre has decided to play "You're the GM".

Jets can be strong, and cap-compliant

Short version:
Trouba (traded for a D and a pick, leans toward Severson)
Kulikov (another Mason-Armia dump where we lose another prospect)
Perreault (traded for a pick)
Myers (walks)
Tanev (walks)
Ehlers (traded for a 2C RNH, Kadri and Larkin mentioned)

His starting lineup:

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-(centre added in Ehlers trade)-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Little-Appleton
Copp-Lowry-(forward signed in free agency)
Extra: Lindholm

Morrissey-Byfuglien
Chiarot-(defenceman added in Trouba trade)
Beaulieu - Niku
Extras: Morrow, Poolman

This looks like a playoff bubble team roster. The adds are a huge question mark obviously. Post season chances improve greatly if Brossoit gets 25 starts and steals 5 games outright.

Reactions: sipowicz

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This looks like a playoff bubble team roster. The adds are a huge question mark obviously. Post season chances improve greatly if Brossoit gets 25 starts and steals 5 games outright.

Chances also increase if the team plays up to their ability and start to understand and execute the D end of the game.
In other words, the opposite of last season

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's really sad to see fans turn on Blake Wheeler. Sure, he's not perfect but his and Brighteyes usage is not their fault. Of course they want to be on the ice all the time, in all situations, that's what great players and leaders want.

The sensible thing for the Jets is to analyze where they actually need to improve, and make changes there.

We have so many question marks heading into the summer that we need to see where some of our pieces fall first.

Trouba - this guy has to go this off season. If not, we have basically given away a ton of player equity
Myers - I like him more than many, but the contract needs to make sense. I think there is a lot of loyalty built up between player and team, so I see Myers look for a reasonable payday but not an overpay. 4 years 24 MM is probably about right and 5 years 25 would be a real great deal for the club (with bonus structure)
Byfuglien - Last year was a huge dissapointment after a beastly year the year before. What is Buff going to be like next year? I have a real worry he will be more and more injured as his joints break down under his massive frame. He is so unique and a fan favorite, but a GM thinking about keeping the Jets competitive into the future should examine moving him.

Chiarot - Ben really improved last year and I think as he matures we will see even a better year from him next year. He is a perfect bottom pair guy who also PK's.
Niku - I would expect him to be a regular out of TC next season. He has warts in his game but, paired with someone a little more composed in our zone should allow him to start using his assets more. I'd love to see him on the PP, should we decide to go back to 3F2D
Morrissey - Our best defenseman and expect more of that next year. I want him to explore more of his offensive side next year, as I think he's really figured out his own end nicely.
Poolman - He deserves a real shot to make up for a lost year last year - lets see what he can do.
Kulikov - What an enigma. There are times when he looks extremely solid and others when he's lost. He reminds me of Igor Ulanov when he was a Jet. I don't know if, considering our cap situation, he is a wise player to keep.
Beaulieu - I thought he filled in admirably last season, but his decision making is pretty suspect at times. I think he's a tweener - injury protection
Kiselevich - No comment, I wish he could have rotated in with Beaulieu last year so we could see him in the Jets system.

Our D overall is loaded with questions. I think if we lose Trouba, we have to examine bringing back a strong replacement. We will have one bona fide top pair guy and a bunch of middlers and tweeners.

As for forwards, I'm not trading Blake Wheeler or Nik Ehlers, thats crazy. I am getting rid of Perreault and his bloated contract. I'd even consider trading Little to make way for a center who might jive better with Laine (maybe a veteran Finn?)

Our taste of success in 17-18 made us entitled last year. We forgot that often a teams progression is not linear. We are still amongst the youngest (if not the youngest) team in the league. I think next year we have to play our young guys more. We see what we have with those players. If Maurice can't make it work, then we look at a coaching change before the New Year, and make some moves to address weakness.

The bottom line is, if Hellebuyck can't return to 17-18 form, we are only going to have limited success, anyway. Broissoit seems to me to be a career backup (though he could play significantly more). I hope that the outlier was not 17-18 Helle.

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You lost me at
Myers - I like him more than many, but the contract needs to make sense. I think there is a lot of loyalty built up between player and team, so I see Myers look for a reasonable payday but not an overpay. 4 years 24 MM is probably about right and 5 years 25 would be a real great deal for the club (with bonus structure)

I sure hope Chevy doesn't think that makes sense.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You lost me at

I sure hope Chevy doesn't think that makes sense.
The funny thing is, fans have a very skewed sense of what an NHL player is. They think that every player at every position has to be infallible and perfect in the role they are cast.

Yet, you will see haters and detractors of every single player in the NHL. I wonder how many fans of other teams would salivate at the thought of getting a 32 year old 6'5 225 lb winger who has amassed 696 points in 860 NHL games, scoring 182 of those points over the past 2 years (career high and matching) and being amongst the very best RW in the league.

Yet, we have that very player and he has been bashed relentlessly all year long.

NHL players are imperfect, and fallible. They have their strengths and weaknesses. The market pays them what it will bear.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

If the Jets don’t obtain a serious 2C and reasonable facsimile to Trouba on D kiss the playoffs goodbye, plus we still don’t know if Helly’s 17-18 season, his one good year was an aberration!

The Jets can finish anywhere from 1st to last in the Central and it wouldn’t be a surprise.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well we lost a top - 2 d-man in Trouba and got back a bottom pairing one in Plinko by the sounds of things. We have 2 top-4 slots filled in Buff and Morrissey, not sure where the other 2 will come from. Myers perhaps? He is an iffy top-4 unless he has a strong partner. Better as a number 5 imo. Where does the other top-4 come from? Chariot again? Shudder. Or can the Jets swing a deal with Ros and a sweetener for Miller in Vegas? That would ease my concerns a bit.

Little will be back as the #2 centre next year. I don't see them swinging a trade for a replacement. Concern about #2 spot will be swept under the rug by the talking heads at 1290...until the trade deadline next year.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
First order of business after what transpired with NYR in the last few months - I'd fire myself for rank incompetence.
Rank incomptence? Really?

In hindsight, the Hayes to NYR deal was not great. However, you could see why Chevy needed to do it, and many other smart GM's would have. Only the season before he caught lightning in a bottle with a similar move (though I know the situations were much different). I didn't like that trade because of the way the Jets were playing, but it made sense why he did it.

The trade yesterday, Trouba, a guy who is going for Free Agency, did not want to play in Winnipeg, and is going to be a general PITA for any GM for Neal Pionk and the 20 OA is not a bad trade especially when you can see how badly that Trouba is overvalued here and how much people are shitting on a player who has played nary a second for the Winnipeg Jets.

SO, despite the fact that the last few months may not have gone the way Jets fans would have liked, firing Chevy is a silly response.

If we were going to fire Chevy, it should have been after the Pavelec and Stuart extensions :)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Rank incomptence? Really?

In hindsight, the Hayes to NYR deal was not great. However, you could see why Chevy needed to do it, and many other smart GM's would have. Only the season before he caught lightning in a bottle with a similar move (though I know the situations were much different). I didn't like that trade because of the way the Jets were playing, but it made sense why he did it.

The trade yesterday, Trouba, a guy who is going for Free Agency, did not want to play in Winnipeg, and is going to be a general PITA for any GM for Neal Pionk and the 20 OA is not a bad trade especially when you can see how badly that Trouba is overvalued here and how much people are ****ting on a player who has played nary a second for the Winnipeg Jets.

SO, despite the fact that the last few months may not have gone the way Jets fans would have liked, firing Chevy is a silly response.

If we were going to fire Chevy, it should have been after the Pavelec and Stuart extensions :)

No one will fire Chevy. But:

Chevy did not 'need' to trade for Hayes or anyone for that matter. The team was weak and not a cup contender. Many were calling for us to stand pat and reload for next year.

Trouba was restricted. We could have kept him and made the same deal at the deadline if we didn't like ourt playoff posture. But he was going to be a PITA so trade him? Wish my job was so easy. Hmm, this customer is a PITA so I'll just get rid of them. There, great job I did.

Now what's my most important objective this off season again? Oh yeah - improve defense. Wait, what? Pionk is one of the worst defensive defensemen in the league? Guess I should have thought about that first. Oh well, I can always play one of my other high quality defensive aquisitions like Kuli or Morrow or Boulieu or Kiselovich or Shilling or Oligny. Any of these guys will be just fine. Stanley Cup here we come!

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
kc sheif Laine
Vesa little wheeler
Copp Lowry Tanev
Lindholm roslo Appleton

Morrisey Pesce
Niku Buff
Beaulieu/Chiarot Pionk
Poolman

Helle Brossoit

Reactions: Zhamnov10

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
kc sheif Laine
Vesa little wheeler
Copp Lowry Tanev
Lindholm roslo Appleton

Morrisey Pesce
Niku Buff
Beaulieu/Chiarot Pionk
Poolman

Helle Brossoit

Pesce for Ehlers I guess? What are the Jets giving up in picks/prospects to rid themselves of Perreault and Kulikov? That's the only way you rid yourselves of those 2, unless the Jets buy one of both out. Given this is a budget team that is unlikely -see trading Mason with assets instead of buying him out like Montreal did.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Pesce for Ehlers I guess? What are the Jets giving up in picks/prospects to rid themselves of Perreault and Kulikov? That's the only way you rid yourselves of those 2, unless the Jets buy one of both out. Given this is a budget team that is unlikely -see trading Mason with assets instead of buying him out like Montreal did.
I think you could get as much as a 3rd for MP from the Sens.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I think you could get as much as a 3rd for MP from the Sens.

Sens will have their pick of unwanted players around the league as many other teams struggle to stay under the cap to sign their younger RFAs and pending UFAs. They will be able to leverage this excess supply of players to extract draft picks from other teams. Jets would likely have to give them a pick to take Perreault and if the Jets refuse to play ball, they will take an unwanted player from another team for draft compensation.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
If I'm the GM, the first question I'm asking from now on for any player I'm interested in (draft pick, prospect, free agent, etc.) is "Who is your agent?"

Reactions: ERYX and Board Bard

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
No one will fire Chevy. But:

Chevy did not 'need' to trade for Hayes or anyone for that matter. The team was weak and not a cup contender. Many were calling for us to stand pat and reload for next year.

Trouba was restricted. We could have kept him and made the same deal at the deadline if we didn't like ourt playoff posture. But he was going to be a PITA so trade him? Wish my job was so easy. Hmm, this customer is a PITA so I'll just get rid of them. There, great job I did.

Now what's my most important objective this off season again? Oh yeah - improve defense. Wait, what? Pionk is one of the worst defensive defensemen in the league? Guess I should have thought about that first. Oh well, I can always play one of my other high quality defensive aquisitions like Kuli or Morrow or Boulieu or Kiselovich or Shilling or Oligny. Any of these guys will be just fine. Stanley Cup here we come!

Sure, that can be your take.

I didn't like the Hayes deal considering the state the team was in, I don't argue that that was a decision I wouldn't have made, but again, I see why it was done.

I'm hearing a lot of Pionk is shit comments here. I am going to wait and see how he plays for the Jets before I pass judgement. Again, the acquisition of Pionk was not made by Chevy alone - I don't know why people think the GM has autonomy to make deals. There was input from scouts, players, and Maurice I am sure. At the very least maybe Pionk can take some of the hatred off of Myers :)

I like Beaulieu - he played well for us. Kislevech hasn't played a minute for us and despite hearing good things from Florida fans again you are just writing him off.

The summer hasn't really even begun, and you are already filling out the lineup card for D. I'll wait and see what we start with.

Finally, Chevy has made some bad moves in his Jets career - no doubt. Pavelec, Stuart, Hayes. But he's made some dandy's too. He's not perfect - what a revelation.

Seems to me you are looking at this emotionally and not objectively.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am less emotional today. The trades with NYR are still bad. Our current list of D men is still exceedingly underwhelming.

Nonetheless, and I have stated this in other posts but maybe not in this thread - there is still time. Please recall our number 1 objective for next season Chevy - improve our defense. I am still cheering for Chevy to be successful on this front.

Reactions: thegr8one66

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I am less emotional today. The trades with NYR are still bad. Our current list of D men is still exceedingly underwhelming.

Nonetheless, and I have stated this in other posts but maybe not in this thread - there is still time. Please recall our number 1 objective for next season Chevy - improve our defense. I am still cheering for Chevy to be successful on this front.

My #1 is to fix whatever broke the team last year, by whatever means necessary.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
If I'm the GM, the first question I'm asking from now on for any player I'm interested in (draft pick, prospect, free agent, etc.) is "Who is your agent?"

That is a really bad idea. You will never, I repeat never build a contender if you take that attitude, and every draft eligible kid from here on will say I don't want to play for the Jets... period. Good luck with the long-term implications.

Trouba dropped to us because he was already cited as a bit of a head case in terms of family. His dad was pimping him out when he was 10 years old. He went from one AAA team to another probably because his dad was getting some significant cash on the side to do so. Remember his dad had gone bankrupt and probably needed the cash.

Regardless, in the end, we got 6 solid seasons out of this guy for millions less than what it would have cost us under normal circumstances leaving money for guys like Morrissey.
You try and bring in great people as much as possible but when opportunities like Trouba come up, you take that gamble and work through the process. We got six great years and now we move on.

Reactions: Jack722 and Jet

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
1, Fire maurice
2. Trade Wheeler and Trouba as a package for younger assets but guys 20/21 that can play or be regular nhl'ers soon.
3. Rotate captaincy for the next year.

1. Deal
2. Done
3. After we chanted "who's your captain?" as many times as we did, we better be pretty sure who our captain is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad