You're the GM...

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
DEFENSIVE depth.....
- Q offer for Joe Morrow 1 year approx 1.1 mill.... which will take him to UFA
- take Belivieu to team chosen Arbitration..... His 2.5 mill he made last year is grossly over paid. He was a healthy scratch in Buffalo in the regular Season and a healthy scratch in Wpg for the playoffs. Arbitrator ruling 1 year @ 1.5 mill which will take him to U.F.A. the following year. With him playing for his new contract in his final RFA year.... maybe we strikes gold and get a reliable contributor.
- sign Gawanke b4 June 1st for the Moose.
- The Poolman and Niku to play regularly above the b4 mentioned Morrow/ Belliveau.

Trade Trouba and Copp ( Michigan boys) to Detroot for Hronek /A.A + one of their 2nd rounders. ( A.A is tight with Schief from their time in Barrie)

- 1st week of July .... sign Morrissey 7 years@ 6.75 mill.
- sign (G) Bro. To a 2 or 3 year deal similar to what Saros signed with Nash 3 @ 1.3333 =4 mill over 3 years.
- Sign Connor 6 years @6.125 mill
( maybe a bit low but he signs due to Schief/ehlrrs factor)....

- Trade Laine to Carolina for Peese / Necas and one of their 2019 2nd rounders..... I suggested this trade last December..... Did not go over well then with Jet fans.... now more likely Carolina balks at it.

Carolina loves thei fins and reunites Aho/Laine.

Jets get a Trouba replacement/ a expansion draft exempt future 2c and another 2nd in 2019 where we only have 3 picks.

-Trade frenchie to Montreal for cap relief..... would love a 2nd.....but we would be lucky to get a 3rd and a 7th.

- Sign Heinreichs to a 1 year contract........

Uhmm AHL contract Reggie Dunlop stlye........ player coach.

Let Tanev go in UFA.... He used up his mojo this year in his contract year... I see him regressing and the team that signs him to big $ will realize "he is just an ordinary cracker" ( Edxie Murphy)

- Let Chairot and Myers go in Ufa.... I like them both but you have to make some hard choices

Appleton becomes a regular contributor on the bottom 6.

Vesa Laine earns his ice time by starting with the Moose unless he kills it @ T.C.
No Euro clause this year for him....

Sign Sam-Berg this July or at the latest March after his 3rd college season is done.

OH ya... almost forgot "Fire Maurice and his little dog Toto too... Ahhhha bahahaha " (Toto being that Moose coach from the Q)...... Pierre Maquire wannabe

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The window closed so might as well do a mini rebuild.

Fire Maurice. He had his chance and blew it badly two years in a row. Way underperformed with our level of talent. What an F'ing waste of a talented roster. Trade Ehlers for solid RHD and trade Wheeler, Trouba for young roster players or who will step in this year or next. Let Myers walk - he is bad for what he will get. Don't even try to sign the fourth line centre Hayes. Sign Laine and pray that he isn't the lazy uninterested player that we saw too many times last year - maybe we need a no Fortnite clause in the contract. Whatever big gap is left from the trades, you have to go the free agent route or depending on the young guys coming in (From Wheeler / Trouba), wait for them to develop for a year or two. We will probably miss the playoffs this year anyway so maybe it is better to just be a bottom dweller again and kiss the post season good by and keep the cap space for now. Can't believe how Maurice utterly wasted these two promising years. Yeah, there was some fun last year in beating Nashville. But what a let down to lose 4 in a row to a team that we were heavily favored to beat, with zero meaningful adjustments other than putting in two guys who hadn't played in weeks / months for the final game and the fourth consecutive loss.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
As GM, I'd pull out all stops for a second line center that can drive a line - period.

And, I'd hold my coach accountable for teaching a more Defensive structure across the team - no exceptions.

We have the talent to beat anyone - but we don't play a sound game at both ends and forget how hard you need to work to win in this league.
A focus on D will help with that.

Oh, and we lose Trouba, Purr-O, and Myers and get younger (again).
Teach the young gaffers how to play D and it won't matter.

I generally agree with this post --except we'll have to keep Myers, to have any stability on right side defense, if Trouba leaves, which is quite likely.

With an aging Buff -and becoming injury prone, you pretty much have to re-sign Tyler Myers, to have some stability on right D.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If I am GM I am wondering why the heck I didn't make a better offer than the **** St Louis sent to Buffalo for OReilly. :(

We paid more for Kevin Hayes.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If I am GM I am wondering why the heck I didn't make a better offer than the **** St Louis sent to Buffalo for OReilly. :(

We paid more for Kevin Hayes.
Blues paid a 1st, a 2nd, two roster players and a decent prospect. That is a lot more than Hayes's price.

Reactions: Jetsetter and GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Blues paid a 1st, a 2nd, two roster players and a decent prospect. That is a lot more than Hayes's price.

But we have to stop spending every year to fill that gap. It's obvious that Chevy sees it as a gap because he keeps spending to fill it.

Go all in this off season to get the best 1/2c that will drive that line and our top 6 will be dynamite. These half measures have to stop.

For D, just go back to the previous season when our entire team actually played D.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Personally I think the pieces are already here but some players are not being utilized to their fullest potential.

So with that said:

Fire the coach and his staff. Some of them have been here since day 1. It's time for new vision.

All of the UFAs can basically take a walk. Other than Myers offence all are infinitely replaceable internally or at minimal cost.

Try to keep your RFAs and try to move one or both of Little and Perreault. Admittedly it will be hard especially if Trouba wants to leave. If that's the case you get the best package you can no matter what it is and use the surplus of whatever they get to upgrade where needed.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Personally I think the pieces are already here but some players are not being utilized to their fullest potential.

So with that said:

Fire the coach and his staff. Some of them have been here since day 1. It's time for new vision.

All of the RFAs can basically take a walk. Other than Myers offence all are infinitely replaceable internally or at minimal cost.

Try to keep your UFAs and try to move one or both of Little and Perreault. Admittedly it will be hard especially if Trouba wants to leave. If that's the case you get the best package you can no matter what it is and use the surplus of whatever they get to upgrade where needed.
RFAs (Restricted Free Agents):

Laine
Connor
Trouba
Copp
Brossoit

UFAs (Unrestricted Free Agents):

Hayes
Myers
Chiarot
Tanev
Lindholm

Reactions: wgpsensfan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If I were in Chevy's shoes, I would keep doing what he is doing. Scouting Central colleges and the East Coast for NHL talent. I might bring in a guy like Jim Slater, who was a class act, into the front office to help integrate the transition. I would definitely add some local flavour to the team, because I think you can expect heroics from a local kid, who is playing with heart and soul. I would not sacrifice more than a 2nd round pick at any point for the next 2 seasons, but work on building a strong farm to grow some good hockey players on, and graduate to be pros. I think it is easy to sell Winnipeg when you start to build a winning tradition.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
All I know is that is it's going to be very hard to make the team better next year. Almost impossible in my eyes. The way the team is constructed makes it very hard for internal growth from players even though they count on it so much. I understand why players are upset

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
All I know is that is it's going to be very hard to make the team better next year. Almost impossible in my eyes. The way the team is constructed makes it very hard for internal growth from players even though they count on it so much. I understand why players are upset
Care to explain?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Care to explain?

With the Lowry line stapled as third line. Young skilled players have to play 4th line minutes. And the third line also blocks any top six players from moving down and spreading skill around. I feel great teams have a line like Lowrys on the fourth and give their skilled young players third line minutes to succeed

Reactions: Eyeseeing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With the Lowry line stapled as third line. Young skilled players have to play 4th line minutes. And the third line also blocks any top six players from moving down and spreading skill around. I feel great teams have a line like Lowrys on the fourth and give their skilled young players third line minutes to succeed

Connor, Laine, and Ehlers are playing top 6 minutes.

The only youth playing on the "fourth" line have been Roslovic and Petan, and they haven't really stood out in their opportunities moving up the lineup.

Lowry's line plays tough minutes against big offensive lines. Not sure that's the best place for a young, skilled player.

If anything, I'd lessen the top line's minutes a bit and give those to these younger players.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

The only youth playing on the "fourth" line have been Roslovic and Petan, and they haven't really stood out in their opportunities moving up the lineup.

Lowry's line plays tough minutes against big offensive lines. Not sure that's the best place for a young, skilled player.

If anything, I'd lessen the top line's minutes a bit and give those to these younger players.

I agree with your last point. That was what I was getting at. But it hasn't happened yet and I'm not sure it will.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's not bologna either, I think the 2+1 that Maurice like to employ stifles production. At the very least you want to keep everyone engaged, and keep your troops fresh over the grind of the season. I think Copp has shown he can play with talented players, and hopefully Maurice trusts him to play more minutes. He was trying a bit more in the playoffs this year, but still glued Roslovic to the bench late in games. Ehlers for a stretch too.

I actually see us improving if we make strides to improve our team defense. And rely less on Scheifele and Wheeler, with more team speed and tenacity, around the clock. It's hard not to see the Jets being a strong PP team again next year. If we become top 7 team on the PK, with less penalties (Perreault, Myers), there is a lot of room for optimism. I think we lose a player who didn't have his heart here, but we'll bring back two in return. The Boss says...

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

What he's saying has merit, though. The way our Top 6 is constructed, if something isn't working, the only option for an offensive player is to be shunted down to the 4th line to try to figure it out in 8 minutes per game.

If we had three scoring lines, we would have a lot more flexibility to help various offensemen find their game.

I agree we need to spread the minutes a little too to help this problem.

For example, running something like:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Vesalainen - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Copp - Roslovic

And then Lowry on 4th... would allow us to give Vesalainen a fairly cushy spot with upped minutes to find his game, while allowing Ehlers + Laine maximum growth, and allowing Connor and Roslo good minutes too. This is assuming Perreault is gone.

Maybe I'm wrong and I underestimate the need for an 18 minute-per-game shutdown line. I dunno.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What he's saying has merit, though. The way our Top 6 is constructed, if something isn't working, the only option for an offensive player is to be shunted down to the 4th line to try to figure it out in 8 minutes per game.

If we had three scoring lines, we would have a lot more flexibility to help various offensemen find their game.

I agree we need to spread the minutes a little too to help this problem.

For example, running something like:

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Vesalainen - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Copp - Roslovic

And then Lowry on 4th... would allow us to give Vesalainen a fairly cushy spot with upped minutes to find his game, while allowing Ehlers + Laine maximum growth, and allowing Connor and Roslo good minutes too. This is assuming Perreault is gone.

Maybe I'm wrong and I underestimate the need for an 18 minute-per-game shutdown line. I dunno.

A shutdown line as good as ours will get minutes - maybe not 18 but probably more than the 3rd line.
I don't see Connor playing 3rd line minutes under these circumstances - especially after his upcoming payday (assumption).
Connor will be top 6 next season - Vesalainen will not, IMO.
The other "unknown" is at center - if we are able to pick up a center, I would assume he'd be top 6 which changes everything.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I see McIntyre has decided to play "You're the GM".

Jets can be strong, and cap-compliant

Short version:
Trouba (traded for a D and a pick, leans toward Severson)
Kulikov (another Mason-Armia dump where we lose another prospect)
Perreault (traded for a pick)
Myers (walks)
Tanev (walks)
Ehlers (traded for a 2C RNH, Kadri and Larkin mentioned)

His starting lineup:

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-(centre added in Ehlers trade)-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Little-Appleton
Copp-Lowry-(forward signed in free agency)
Extra: Lindholm

Morrissey-Byfuglien
Chiarot-(defenceman added in Trouba trade)
Beaulieu - Niku
Extras: Morrow, Poolman

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I see McIntyre has decided to play "You're the GM".

Jets can be strong, and cap-compliant

Short version:
Trouba (traded for a D and a pick, leans toward Severson)
Kulikov (another Mason-Armia dump where we lose another prospect)
Perreault (traded for a pick)
Myers (walks)
Tanev (walks)
Ehlers (traded for a 2C RNH, Kadri and Larkin mentioned)

His starting lineup:

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-(centre added in Ehlers trade)-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Little-Appleton
Copp-Lowry-(forward signed in free agency)
Extra: Lindholm

Morrissey-Byfuglien
Chiarot-(defenceman added in Trouba trade)
Beaulieu - Niku
Extras: Morrow, Poolman

IMO that's barely a wild card team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad