You're the GM...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What three moves would you make as far as players go.
Don't want to hear about any coaches or scouts or vp of hockey operations or equipment managers or bus drivers.

Let's also assume that Trouba has let you know he won't be staying past this year.
These moves should be done before the the season starts.

This is two moves really...I would trade Wheeler and Trouba to Florida and center the deal around Trochek and Huberdeau with the Panthers adding. I would let the Panthers talk to Trouba and have a deal ready with him. At least 14m going out and 10.65m coming back. We get a good center and an excellent LWer to play with Laine and Scheifele. I would make that trade happen.

Next would be to trade Ehlers (plus?) for a good 1D man or straight up for a very good 2D man and a very good prospect. Huberdeau more than replaces Ehlers.

Huberdeau Scheif Laine 21m
KC Trochek Roslo 12.5m
Vaseline Little Appleseed 7.0m
Copper Lowry Tanev 7.65m
Dano in the pressbox 1m
49.15m

Morrissey (Ehlers' return) 9.25m
Niku Buff 8.5m
Kuli Poolman 5.1m
Chiarot Beaulieu? in the pressbox 3.5m
26.35m

Helle Brossoit 7.5m

49.15+26.95+7.5=83m

We would get picks/prospects in the Wheeler/Trouba trade but we might lose the equivalent in the Ehlers trade.
Not quite as strong in the back end but much improved for the forwards especially for the future. Kuli's salary can help play JMo the next season and Samberg will make the team. Roslo will need a raise but the cap will go up.

What would your 3 moves be?

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Only trouble here is Wheeler could potentially block a trade to Florida. He has a 14 team NTC and I find it hard to imagine Florida not being one of those teams. Trouba likely signs with them.

Also Ehlers won't return a 1D, Ehlers might not even return a #2D, nevermind a very good prospect. Especially a right handed D.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
1, Fire maurice
2. Trade Wheeler and Trouba as a package for younger assets but guys 20/21 that can play or be regular nhl'ers soon.
3. Rotate captaincy for the next year.

I feel like any trading of Wheeler at this point may lead to a mutiny among some of the guys. Trading a captain is usually a bad idea.

Reactions: KingBogo

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Do we actually have any idea of who is on the Wheeler side? For all we know it's just Laine pissed that he isn't with Scheifele.

We'll never know for sure, but if you buy into the young vs old divide, there are a heckuva lot more 'young' in the room than 'old'.

But actually the whole Wheeler-Schief-Maurice triangle is weird and probably alienating a big portion of the team.

Removing Wheeler and Maurice would represent a fresh start and send a clear message ice time will be earned on merit as opposed to whatever dysfunctional crap exists in Maurice's small brain.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We'll never know for sure, but if you buy into the young vs old divide, there are a heckuva lot more 'young' in the room than 'old'.

But actually the whole Wheeler-Schief-Maurice triangle is weird and probably alienating a big portion of the team.

Removing Wheeler and Maurice would represent a fresh start and send a clear message ice time will be earned on merit as opposed to whatever dysfunctional crap exists in Maurice's small brain.

We have no idea what the next coach will do. It also sends a clear message that no one is safe here. For a team that doesn't attract a whole lot of people already that may not be a great message to send.

We don't give a shit what you do for us, we'll ship you off the moment we don't make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
We have no idea what the next coach will do. It also sends a clear message that no one is safe here. For a team that doesn't attract a whole lot of people already that may not be a great message to send.

We don't give a **** what you do for us, we'll ship you off the moment we don't make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

The next step would be to higher a better coach after Maurice is gone. I think that can be done.

Reactions: Mbraunm

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Why on earth would Florida even entertain the idea of trading Huberdeau and Trocheck for Wheeler and Trouba? More like Trouba for Borgström, and a first round pick, and Wheeler for a 1D somewhere else.

Reactions: Ippenator

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I would be a terrible GM but I would probably gamble.

Trade: Trouba, Little and Kuli for Sanheim, Gudas and M Strome from Philly. (in a perfect world) Assuming Philly can make the cap adjustments to work and if they wanted Trouba. Whoever needs to add picks adds.
I know Gudas wouldn't be a popular player but I like what he brings physically to the game and would be a great 5/6 D for the playoffs in a hard grind series and elevates some cap room from philly for kuli and little

M.P. would probably be on the block as well but I would be looking for the best offer.

UFA: pursue Duchene for a 2C

Signings: Laine, Connor, Tanev, Copp, Brossoit, Myers, Chairot, Copp

Coaching: keep PoMo and Kompon. Explore options to repleace Huddy and Flaherty.

Lines would look something as follows.

Laine/ Mark/ Connor
Wheels / Duchene / Ehlers
M.P. / Lowry / Vesalainen
Strome or Appleton / Copp / Roslo

Buff/JoMo
Myers/Sanheim
Niku/ Chairot or Gudas

Helly/Brossoit

I don't even know if this would work capwise but hey this is just for fun lol.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If I were the GM I would do the following:

• Fire Maurice and replace him with a young offensive minded and progressive coach in Keefe (Not happening with Chevy at the helm)
  • Trade Trouba to Philly for Nolan Patrick (Fills the future second line C hole)
  • Give JoMo a letter
  • Resign Bealiau to two year deal at less cash then he is making now
  • Trade Perrault for a 2nd round pick
  • Don't bring back Myers, Chariot and Tanev as we can't afford them
  • Sign Stralman to a 4 year 4 million deal
  • Re-up Copp to a Lowry type deal
  • Sign both Conner and Laine long term

Run this lineup:

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Conner - Patrick - Wheeler
Vesalinen - Little - Roslovic
Copp - Lowry - Appelton
Lindholm

Morrissey - Stralman (Shut down pairing - also allows JoMo to be the main offensive driver on the pairing)
Beuliau - Buff (Good skating pairing that can move the puck)
Kuli - Niku (Defensive European player to groom Niku)

Helle
Brossoit

The lineup has a lot of speed and size throughout the entire forward group. I also think there is some balance on the defense.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Fire Maurice and staff and replace with Sheldon Keefe or someone that can coach the modern game.

Trouba goes to the team that offers the best package. My thought being use the surplus of whatever you have to fill holes of what you need.

Resign Hayes. Maybe a better coach will know how to use him. He was a 50 point center before Maurice got his hands on him.

If you resign Hayes then Perreault or Little probably has to go then.

Tanev, Chairot, Morrow and Myers can hit road. Let someone else overpay for career years. Losing Myers offence hurts but Tanev and Chairot are replaceable and the Jets have better options already.

Kulikov can go too. Provided you don't have to tie a prospect, unless it's Stanley, to get a team to eat the 4 million of his last year. Maybe a buyout works.

I'd even consider trading Lowry. Copp might be the better of the two and Lowry doesn't finish enough and could be a way of restocking some picks.

That was a fun little exercise.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't want to hear about any coaches or scouts or vp of hockey operations or equipment managers or bus drivers.

You had to realize nobody would pay attention to this, right? ;)

Anyway, in this fantasy world I refuse to settle for a lowly GM position. I'm the owner and I'm hiring Ralph Krueger to fix all the problems. I will also allow re-entry, bring back paper tickets, lower concession prices and give away a free team jersey upon TPA renewal. :nod:

Reactions: TheDeuce

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Fire Maurice and staff and replace with Sheldon Keefe or someone that can coach the modern game.

Trouba goes to the team that offers the best package. My thought being use the surplus of whatever you have to fill holes of what you need.

Resign Hayes. Maybe a better coach will know how to use him. He was a 50 point center before Maurice got his hands on him.

If you resign Hayes then Perreault or Little probably has to go then.

Tanev, Chairot, Morrow and Myers can hit road. Let someone else overpay for career years. Losing Myers offence hurts but Tanev and Chairot are replaceable and the Jets have better options already.

Kulikov can go too. Provided you don't have to tie a prospect, unless it's Stanley, to get a team to eat the 4 million of his last year. Maybe a buyout works.

I'd even consider trading Lowry. Copp might be the better of the two and Lowry doesn't finish enough and could be a way of restocking some picks.

That was a fun little exercise.
Trading Lowry would be ridiculous =)
I'd trade Laine + Trouba + Little to Philly for 6th overall, Frost/Farabee whoever is better and Sanheim. This fills all of our goals and gives us cap space. We lose a great winger, but, we fill in all of our holes. Resign Tanev as he is the heart and soul of this team.
Ehlers SW
KC Frost/Farabee Ves/Roslovic
TLC
Perrault x Roslo/Ves

Reactions: DiggerD

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Let's look at two teams who made it to the second round ... one lost a #1 center and got nothing in return and one fired their coach in season but both have something in common. A coach who understands his player's capability ... that is a sign of a good coach.
I don't know if there is a problem in the dressing room but if there is ... it's the coach's job to fix it.
You cannot trade the whole team its easier to fire the coach.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad