You're KH: Who do you buyout?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The guys who bring the least bang for the buck and are too injury prone aswell, so Samuelsson and Quincey/Colaiacovo. Those guys simply don't fit any sort of plans.

I'm not too concerned about Franzen's contract myself at this point. Let's say he's too washed up to be worthwhile in 2018. If Wings buy him out in the summer(best case scenario trades him to some cheapskates trying to reach the cap floor though), that leaves a cap hit of $3.3M for two years and peanuts(300k) for another two years. I think with what the cap ceiling likely is in 2018 it won't be a huge blow if it comes to that. I'd rather clean up the mess caused by players who are currently redundant so that we can go after free agents and improve. Buying out Franzen just to go after another similar top six forward would only help long term cap purposes, not make the team any better.

RedWingsNow*

The guys who bring the least bang for the buck and are too injury prone aswell, so Samuelsson and Quincey/Colaiacovo. Those guys simply don't fit any sort of plans.

I'm not too concerned about Franzen's contract myself at this point. Let's say he's too washed up to be worthwhile in 2018. If Wings buy him out in the summer(best case scenario trades him to some cheapskates trying to reach the cap floor though), that leaves a cap hit of $3.3M for two years and peanuts(300k) for another two years. I think with what the cap ceiling likely is in 2018 it won't be a huge blow if it comes to that. I'd rather clean up the mess caused by players who are currently redundant so that we can go after free agents and improve. Buying out Franzen just to go after another similar top six forward would only help long term cap purposes, not make the team any better.

Right. The big smack in the mouth is Zetterberg's contract.
Franzen's will be about $3M per year

If Z leaves after his last $7M season -- he'll have about $14M to spread over 3 years...

Kronwall will probably add about a $2M per year cap penaltiy.

So
Zetterberg - $4.5M cap hit penalty
Franzen - $3M cap hit penalty
Kronwall - $1.7M cap hit penalty

$9M for NOBODY

No assume the cap goes up by about 5 percent a year. We'll be at about an 84M cap ceiling when that happens.

$9M out of $84M is a lot.

You're not going to buy out Zetterberg.
Buying out Kronwall is the least advantageous and he's a better player than Franzen.

So buying out Franzen has real value and might not impact us much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would buy-out Sammy.
I would try to trade Q and/or CC. I think both might have some residual trade value.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
How do the buyouts work, do we only get to use them this year? Because some guys might be trade-able and others like Q and Sammy only have another year left anyway. Unless we're looking to make some additions next year and need more capspace, is it possible to save?

Obviously Franzen is the biggest candidate right now considering his hit and term length. Most of the other guys aren't around for nearly as long as Franzen and don't cost as much either.

RedWingsNow*

The other thing to consider is Mike Ilitch.

Even if Ilitch and Holland thought buying out Franzen was the right roster move, that's money.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The other thing to consider is Mike Ilitch.

Even if Ilitch and Holland thought buying out Franzen was the right roster move, that's money.

I believe the buyouts come out of the players' share of revenue and don't cost the owners money.

At least that's what I read on the business board a while back.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Right. The big smack in the mouth is Zetterberg's contract.
Franzen's will be about $3M per year

If Z leaves after his last $7M season -- he'll have about $14M to spread over 3 years...

Kronwall will probably add about a $2M per year cap penaltiy.

So
Zetterberg - $4.5M cap hit penalty
Franzen - $3M cap hit penalty
Kronwall - $1.7M cap hit penalty

$9M for NOBODY

No assume the cap goes up by about 5 percent a year. We'll be at about an 84M cap ceiling when that happens.

$9M out of $84M is a lot.

You're not going to buy out Zetterberg.
Buying out Kronwall is the least advantageous and he's a better player than Franzen.

So buying out Franzen has real value and might not impact us much.

Kronwall is only 37 years old when his last year starts, that's not so bad. It's basically a 6 year/$4.75M AAV contract starting this summer. If we start to discuss his contract we can discuss pretty much every UFA contract to players over 30 IMO.

I'd probably see it(2018):
Franzen - $3.3M cap penalty.
Zetterberg - Maybe a $4.5M worthy player, so overpaid by $1.5M.
Total: $4.8M, but Z is at least still there and contributing. I think he'll be an Alfredsson type of player 38+, the points decline but still brings something important to the club.

But it's no an exact science without hindsight, obviously. Anyway, weigh it against the cap benefits for ~8 years before that point, it's livable.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Sammy and Quincey ... that 1st rounder piss in the wind but whatever. Hes getting paid 4 million next year - what a joke.

Bertuzzi and Coliacovo are better players when their in the lineup. If their hurt LTIR their ***** and use the cap-space.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You laugh, but his performance this year, at the current rate, in a full season would be 32g, 34a for 66 points. That's more than $5 million's worth.

A 48 game season for someone his age would not warrant that kind of contract.

This season should be viewed as an anomaly and all statistics should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I've been on and off the "buy out Franzen" wagon, but I think I'm officially off. As bad as his contract will be in the future, I have lost all faith in Holland's ability to compete for talented players and I don't think any of our best prospects will ever reach star status. In other words, I don't foresee Franzen's contract costing us the ability to sign other forwards - In my mind, having Holland as our GM has already cost us that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You laugh, but his performance this year, at the current rate, in a full season would be 32g, 34a for 66 points. That's more than $5 million's worth.

isnt their someone who detroit could spend 5 million on that would be a core memeber of our team moving forward beyond next season?

detroit isnt in the position to be adding dinosaurs

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
with currently 12+m cap space for next yr and over 37+m the following yr why are we even worried about buyouts?

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Buying out Franzen seems silly, his cap hit is not that bad, and he's better than people give him credit for. Quincey > CC, but that's just my opinion. I'd say buyout Sammy and CC. Lineup would hopefully look like:

Mule-Dats-Tatar
Brunner-Hank-Flip
Nyquist-Helm-Andersson
Tootoo-Abby-Emmerton
Bert on LTIR

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Kindl
Smith-DeKeyser
Lashoff

with currently 12+m cap space for next yr and over 37+m the following yr why are we even worried about buyouts?

To get rid of dead weight to make room for the young guns.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Not when you're 42 and playing on borrowed time.

:laugh: The statistics say otherwise. When it all comes down to it, doesn't matter how old you are if you're putting up the numbers Jagr has in his last two years.

But why let statistics get in the way of a good stereotype?

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Sammy and one of Quincey or Colaiacovo.

While you could argue for just about any F, Sammy is most expendable due to age/salary. A spot needs to be cleared for Nyquist/Tatar/Andersson.

Quincey/Colaiacovo are interchangeable. Personally, I'd buy out Q before Cola. With Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl, DeKeyser, Lashoff, and whoever doesn't get bought out, we should be fine on the back end.

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
I seriously look at buying out Mule. The guy's pattern is to pad his stats with one good game a year, then coast.

If not him, then Sammy and Cola gotta go.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
isnt their someone who detroit could spend 5 million on that would be a core memeber of our team moving forward beyond next season?

detroit isnt in the position to be adding dinosaurs

If we have the cap/roster space and it's a one years deal, what does it matter how old Jagr is or how much we're paying him? I wouldn't be in favor of signing him just to dump Tatar/Nyquist in GR, but if we're dumping Sammy/Eaves to make room for him? Go for it.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
For those that want to buy out Franzen, do you want to re-sign Filppula? As 'lazy' as people think Franzen is, he at very least produces offensively every year. Obviously not at the rate he used to.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
At this point, Samuelsson should be considered sunk cost and bought out. Depending on how Bertuzzi is, I probably buy him out, or LTIR him as well. I'd also look to trade some assets of fas well.

If you want to buy Sammy out it is not sunk cost, we recover the cap space next season..

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
For those that want to buy out Franzen, do you want to re-sign Filppula? As 'lazy' as people think Franzen is, he at very least produces offensively every year. Obviously not at the rate he used to.

Do you expect him to increase his rate in the coming years? If not he should be a buyout candidate.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Do you expect him to increase his rate in the coming years? If not he should be a buyout candidate.

Why should I expect him to increase his rate? He produces fine for what he's being paid, his term is the only concern and I don't even think it's a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad