You're KH: Who do you buyout?

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Why should I expect him to increase his rate? He produces fine for what he's being paid, his term is the only concern and I don't even think it's a big deal.

If his production continues it's downward trend (fair assumption) combined with the fact that when not producing he doesn't add much (leadership, defense, etc) then it may be a big deal.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If his production continues it's downward trend (fair assumption) combined with the fact that when not producing he doesn't add much (leadership, defense, etc) then it may be a big deal.

At a 3.9m cap hit? Not really. Franzen is on pace for the same rate he's sustained his last few seasons. Franzen has never been more than a 55-60pt guy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
For those that want to buy out Franzen, do you want to re-sign Filppula? As 'lazy' as people think Franzen is, he at very least produces offensively every year. Obviously not at the rate he used to.

I don't really have a problem with Franzen's perceived work ethic or production, but I don't mind removing the risk of getting stuck with dead cap space if we can replace his scoring now. I also wouldn't mind if we kept him and added Hossa, but that's probably being greedy.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't really have a problem with Franzen's perceived work ethic or production, but I don't mind removing the risk of getting stuck with dead cap space if we can replace his scoring now. I also wouldn't mind if we kept him and added Hossa, but that's probably being greedy.

I agree, if they buy-out Franzen and replace him, no problem. But Holland hasn't replaced any talent with close to equal talent. That's my fear.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Here's my options in order:

1. Sammy
-Useless, unnecessary signing in the first place AND he's been hurt all year. That 3m could be put to better use. This should be a lock.

2. Bert
-Only if he's healthy. If he can't play no more then just have him sit on LTIR.

3. Franzen
-In the present this is a stupid move but his contract could really come back to bite us towards the end of it.

4. Colaiacovo
-Meh. I wouldn't care either way. I mean he's only got another year on his deal, we're losing White and he's better than Lashoff, IMO. He'll probably be on LTIR most of the season anyway.

Other options I've seen brought up:

Quincey
-It's unrealistic to think they'd actually buy him out, plus he does have some value in a trade.

Eaves
-Why? One year left on his deal and who cares if he's in the press box? Even if he's waived it's only a 300k cap hit.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
I agree, if they buy-out Franzen and replace him, no problem. But Holland hasn't replaced any talent with close to equal talent. That's my fear.

A Franzen buy out has to trigger a replacement for sure, otherwise there is no point.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
A Franzen buy out has to trigger a replacement for sure, otherwise there is no point.

Well, we've lost Stuart, Lidstrom and Rafalski and replaced them with Colaiacovo, Quincey and White (just counting FAs, not players we had in the system). I want to see Nyquist and Tatar up just not at the expense of legit players like Franzen. They need to play over Cleary and Samuelsson etc...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Same here. If we bought Franzen out, I'd worry we'd replace him with another version of Cleary or Sammy.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Well, we've lost Stuart, Lidstrom and Rafalski and replaced them with Colaiacovo, Quincey and White (just counting FAs, not players we had in the system). I want to see Nyquist and Tatar up just not at the expense of legit players like Franzen. They need to play over Cleary and Samuelsson etc...

Totally agree, just don't understand why Holland does things this way.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
You laugh, but his performance this year, at the current rate, in a full season would be 32g, 34a for 66 points. That's more than $5 million's worth.

First of all, yeah, but playing a full season at age 42 is different than half a season. Second of all, five million? With the cap going down, you just do not spend five million on a player of that age unless he is Wayne Gretzky himself. I love Jagr, but let's be reasonable. You sign contracts with your brain, not your heart.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Those would be my choices...both were unnecessary signings from Day 1. Depth is one thing but carrying dead weight is another.

Those are roster space dumps more than cap space dumps - they need to make room for better young players that are already in the system and having these guys around will prevent that. Without offering any benefit in return.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've been saying ever since the CBA was ratified that Mule is going to get bought out. With Ken Holland you never know but that contract is going to turn into an albatross sooner rather than later. It needs to be bought out at a time when it will have no impact on the salary cap. That's this summer.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I've been saying ever since the CBA was ratified that Mule is going to get bought out. With Ken Holland you never know but that contract is going to turn into an albatross sooner rather than later. It needs to be bought out at a time when it will have no impact on the salary cap. That's this summer.

Holland doesn't have the nuts. I'm calling it now.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Do we need to buy anybody out? Don't we still have a ton of leftover cap space just sitting around?

Sammy
Bert
Franzen
Cola
Cleary

Old, injury prone, and washed up
Old, injury prone, and washed up
Not worth the money and it's the best time to do it
Expendable
Old and washed up

CloneHakanPlease*

Quincy and Sammuelson (even though i don't think he will B.O. Quincy after giving a first for him).

Franzen can be LTIR and Bert and Carlo only have one more year on their contracts.

RedWingsNow*

Should the Wings consider buying out 4th liner/health scratch Jordin Tootoo?
$1.9M a year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should the Wings consider buying out 4th liner/health scratch Jordin Tootoo?
$1.9M a year

I asked this earlier and for the record I like Tootoo. But if they are going to have Babcock run this decision as far as ice time and scratches, this is something that needs to be seriously considered. Holland and Babs need to sit down and discuss this as far as moving forward. I think he would look great with Helm and we haven't seen that unfortunately. Of course I thought the same thing about Mursak with a different flavor of course in terms of game but was curious to see those two play together.

If the Wings don't plan on giving Tootoo a better role, he makes far too much money no matter how much some of us like him. I really wish Tootoo could pk.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
I asked this earlier and for the record I like Tootoo. But if they are going to have Babcock run this decision as far as ice time and scratches, this is something that needs to be seriously considered. Holland and Babs need to sit down and discuss this as far as moving forward. I think he would look great with Helm and we haven't seen that unfortunately. Of course I thought the same thing about Mursak with a different flavor of course in terms of game but was curious to see those two play together.

If the Wings don't plan on giving Tootoo a better role, he makes far too much money no matter how much some of us like him. I really wish Tootoo could pk.

Agree. I think he and Helm could make one hell of a grindline. Also, Tootoo brings an element we don't have much of on this team, so imo, he shouldn't be considered for a buyout. It's clear this team is in such flux right now, I'm not putting much stock into who gets time and who doesn't. I'll wait on that for next year.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Do we need to buy anybody out? Don't we still have a ton of leftover cap space just sitting around?

If everyone came off LTIR we'd have too many players for too few spots. If we don't buy anyone out, we'll see the same team we saw at the beginning of the year essentially. We'll still have no space for Nyquist/Tatar. So yes, we need the buyouts. This time it isn't about the $$, it's freeing up spots on the roster, so long as Kenny doesn't decide we need more veteran 'depth'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad