You're KH: Who do you buyout?

Aug 6, 2012
Okay, pretend you're KH for a moment. It's the beginning of the offseason and you have an opportunity to use both of your buyouts to free up some cap space and make some moves.

Who would you buyout and why?

You can also elaborate on what your plans with that free cap space would be.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
At this point, Samuelsson should be considered sunk cost and bought out. Depending on how Bertuzzi is, I probably buy him out, or LTIR him as well. I'd also look to trade some assets of fas well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sammy needs to be bought out, they should try dumping Quincey at the draft. Bert might be LTIR type guy. If Babcock doesn't want to use them look at Eaves or Tootoo. Cola is another big candidate. Anyone of these guys I would be happy doing this with. I like Tootoo, but if he doesn't have a role 1.9 million for what he is doing on this team is pretty bad.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i buyout eaves as he is redundant and i buy out colaiacovo as he is redundant. no chance we buyout quincey, dekesyer and tatar need to be in the lineup(moreso tatar) next season and so we need to open up at least two roster spots.

since i dont see any of the big time top pairing dman available this summer as UFA i target a winger who can play on either of the top two lines who has size and can score, i chose clarkson if at all possible.

hopefully bertuzzi goes to the LTIR

i have left a ton of money available for tinkering and/or corrections but i do not believe we will be a max cap team

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / David Clarkson ($4.250m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.900m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.750m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.300m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Patrick Eaves ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
LTIR: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,952,879; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $6,357,121

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Why buy Samuelsson out? He has one year left of sitting in the press box. Franzen is the ideal candidate. That guy is going to be abysmal in a couple of years.

It's not like the Wings will spend to the cap.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Okay, pretend you're KH for a moment. It's the beginning of the offseason and you have an opportunity to use both of your buyouts to free up some cap space and make some moves.

Who would you buyout and why?

You can also elaborate on what your plans with that free cap space would be.

Samuelsson and Colaiacovo for sure. That would free up more money to maybe take a stab at David Clarkson this coming July. Though I dont see New Jersey letting him get away I'm sure that they will resign him long term.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I chose Sammy and Quincey.

Sammy for the fact that he's a 35+ contract and has another year left. If this year is any indication of how durable he will be no point in having him take up a roster spot. Same could be said for Bert but he's cheaper and brings more size plus fancy spin-o-rama plays.

Quincey was my second choice. It comes down to either CC or him and I chose Quincey because of his contract being almost a million more. I think having both guys is redundant on the team.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Sammy and Cola are the 2 obvious ones I think. If we just didnt sign either last summer we could be buying out Franzen and someone else. Quincey needs to be traded at the draft for whatever pick we can get, that Salary is atrocious.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Sammy is first to go. Followed by Cola.

I hope Holland isn't too stubborn to correct his mistakes and fix these signings. Q isn't that great but it seems likely we keep him around considering the state of our blueline.

Rest of the guys on the list:
Franzen has been better this year than most give him credit for. Not really interested in buying out one of our few real top 6 forwards who's cap hit is under 4m.

Bertuzzi can't be bought out while he's injured. It's not a big deal to keep him around anyways if he's on LTIR. Although I think his bad back is contagious, keep him away from Helm!

Eaves doesn't make enough to warrant a buyout, plus with our injury luck we might need an extra body. Waive him if we have to.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Quincey and Eaves

I think Sammy can still be useful, while Eaves eats a needed roster spot. Quincey just isn't necessary and his cap hit is larger than CC's. I think both could be traded for something rather than bought out, though.

As for what I'd do with the cap space, I'd probably look at pulling in Iginla or Clowe, though I think Clowe is going to get overpaid. I like Roy or Weiss to center our third line, if the price is right. I wouldn't feel obligated to use any of the extra cap space, though. Just freeing up some space on the roster would be good enough for me.

One move I'd seriously consider is moving out CC and Q, and signing Gonchar. Roll with Kronwall-E, Dekeyser-Smith, Kindl-Gonchar next year, and have better puck movement from the blueline and a better powerplay QB. Yeah, he's old, but what he does well he does better than pretty much anyone on the team. And if we moved out CC and Q, it's not a big deal that we bring him in because the younger guys still have spots to fill every day.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Franzen and Sammy.

Re: the poll. Do you want me to nuke this one and allow multiple votes? Can't edit that in at this point.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'd shoot for this in the offseason

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jaromir Jagr ($5.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Toni Lydman ($3.000m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.300m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.098% of upper limit)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.025m—1.0%) Kyle Quincey ($0.038m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,823,962; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $2,486,038

RedWingsNow*

Franzen and Sammy.

Re: the poll. Do you want me to nuke this one and allow multiple votes? Can't edit that in at this point.

That's who I chose, too.

The Franzen, Zetterberg and Kronwall contracts are going to punch this team in the mouth in 2017 or so.

You hope that you can replace a Franzen on the market with a Horton or maybe a Hossa (if Chicago does the same thing, perhaps)

RedWingsNow*

Quincey and Eaves

I think Sammy can still be useful, while Eaves eats a needed roster spot. Quincey just isn't necessary and his cap hit is larger than CC's. I think both could be traded for something rather than bought out, though.

As for what I'd do with the cap space, I'd probably look at pulling in Iginla or Clowe, though I think Clowe is going to get overpaid. I like Roy or Weiss to center our third line, if the price is right. I wouldn't feel obligated to use any of the extra cap space, though. Just freeing up some space on the roster would be good enough for me.

One move I'd seriously consider is moving out CC and Q, and signing Gonchar. Roll with Kronwall-E, Dekeyser-Smith, Kindl-Gonchar next year, and have better puck movement from the blueline and a better powerplay QB. Yeah, he's old, but what he does well he does better than pretty much anyone on the team. And if we moved out CC and Q, it's not a big deal that we bring him in because the younger guys still have spots to fill every day.

Like to think you could trade Quincey - considering we spent a first for him.

Eaves? IMO, dump him in the AHL and he only costs $300 toward the cap

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Sammy and Cola

What a disaster last year was. Signed Cola,Sammy,Extended Bert,Overpaid Quincey.

Aug 6, 2012
Franzen and Sammy.

Whatever you guys think is best. I don't care much.

EDIT: Axtually yeah that's probably best.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Like to think you could trade Quincey - considering we spent a first for him.

Eaves? IMO, dump him in the AHL and he only costs $300 toward the cap

I'd be fine dumping Eaves, too. Either way, clears the roster spot.

With the Hossa/Franzen swap, is there a date you have to do the compliance buyouts by, or can you do them all summer? If we could make that swap, I'd be all for it, but I wouldn't be thrilled with buying out Franzen only to get shut out of all decent options on the open market.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Do we need to buy anybody out? Don't we still have a ton of leftover cap space just sitting around?

Aug 6, 2012
Man reading this thread shows how embarrassing Holland's past offseason was. Q, CC and Sammy all were (re)signed and all look like the best buyout candidates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad