Your worst injury

emgsa85

Aug 10, 2011
Non-hockey... Broken nose playing baseball as a kid and a dislocated shoulder playing intramural softball in '07... dislocated shoulder was out of socket every 6 months or so after that until it popped out during a pickup game as I fell backwards into the boards in August 2011. That was the only time I had to go to the ER out of probably 10+ dislocations. Torn labrum and stretched capsul were the culprits of my frequent dislocations. Got scoped in October and was stick handling and such without pain in about 3 and a half months

Cleared to play now but my location in the world won't allow without lots of public transportation.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Playing Hockey: Broke my hand after the goalie sent me flying head over heels (think Gaborik-Hasek except I do a faceplant instead of tuck and roll)

Non-Hockey: Got bit in the head by a dog when I was 7. Almost lost an eye, countless stitches, still got a scar.

SCritical

I've had two concussions, one was a serious KO. I go through phases of struggling with whiplash as well. In terms of pain, the worst one so far was when I tore a tendon in my thumb last year in a bad collision. I didn't even notice at the time, until I took my glove off in the handshake line and saw that my hand had turned purple. Of course then it started hurting like all hell and didn't stop for days! :shakehead

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
My worst injury was a concussion. I took a shoulder square in the jaw. Finished playing the game and didn't realize anything was wrong until I tried watching a movie that night and had one of the worst headaches of my life.

The two worst injuries I've seen/heard about both are about my dad.

The first one, can't remember if it was him or a guy on his team, was battling really hard against a guy who was wearing one of those plastic cages around his jaw area. They started pushing and what not and some how gloves came off. The guy without the jaw protector threw one punch, it shattered the jaw protector and knocked out the guy's 4 front teeth like Bmo.

The second was when my dad was playing hockey when he was in his 20's. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but some how during the play he was highsticked or something of that nature and the blade of the stick went through his cheek and into his mouth.

Edit: I also got crosschecked across the front of my neck in lacrosse.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Hit from behind in to the boards which resulted in a neck back injury that I still have some problem with, plus a concussion which had me waking up the next morning having no idea what I had been doing the night before.

That was before concussions where common knowledge.

Ive broken my rubs twice which is super painful and really causes problems for day to day life for a few month.

In rugby I tore my rotator cuff.

In lacrosse I did something to my knee that caused the joint to swell up. Woke up at 4 am in excruciating pain.

Lots more other ones.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Got hit under my right eye with a puck when I was playing in Florida. I saw the opposing player wind up for a shot and I turned away. Puck caught me under the eye. My face looked similar to Lovejoy's in last year's 24/7 but not as bad. Swollen under my eye with my eye itself being quite red. For those wondering, no I wasn't wearing a visor.

Now for what i was already dealing with (blurred vision, probably a concussion, and having looked like that I had been in a fight), the night gets even better. I had to report back to my command since I was still in the Navy at the time. They thought I had been jumped, so they wanted to do a report. I explained what I remembered, which wasn't much, and said it happened while playing. They then wanted the person's name, where I was playing, etc. Told them i barely knew my own teammates' names. Got the lecture about being property of the Navy and that if this prevents me from performing my job, I could be held liable for damaging government property. Not once did they ask if I was ok.

rayau

May 9, 2012
Worst hockey injury was a severely sprained ankle. Opposition player bumped me while I was doing a slow cross over turn after a whistle. My upper body turned with the bump, but my ankle did not. I ended up on crutches for a month.

I've also had a few stitches from getting hit in the jaw and mouth with pucks. The worse timing was getting stitches the day before a scheduled dinner with my future in-laws to discuss wedding plans.

Last edited:

Wile E Coyotes

Oct 29, 2009
Arizona
I'm assuming most of these injuries are from full contact hockey? I play in a beer league and I couldn't imagine getting most of these injuries.

Uncle Slick

Mar 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Groin tear, required surgery, never fully recovered, ended my days as a competitive goalie. Stopped playing goal in my early 20's, too many groin related strains.

Played senior A as a player, separated both shoulders in successive seasons and 3 concussions.

Injuries ended my days as a player but launched my career as a coach.

JMeiser919

Jul 22, 2008
Broke my left femur, full speed turned at the goal line lost an edge went knee first into the boards.

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
Got a sprained ankle and wrist, at separate times. The ankle was from attempting to not plow headfirst into two colliding people in front of me, the wrist I don't know, I just fell down, and heard it go "pop." The wrist doesn't feel like it ever healed properly, and in retrospect I probably shouldn't have finished the game after it happened.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Concussion, whiplash, and lower back injury of some sort that still hasn't been quite nailed down.

I jumped over the boards on my change and tried to take up position on the opposition blueline as play was deep in that end (I play D), as I came over the red line the puck was shot around skipped off our wingers stick, was swatted at by the other teams winger and bounced off the boards outside the blue line and came to a stop. I broke into a sprint for it, the other teams winger took one strong stride and dove at it swatting his stick again and chipping it clean over my blade. As he continued to slide toward me, I tried to stop but ran out of space so I tried to jump over him, my skates clipped his stick as I jumped. I landed on the ice on my back and, as I was skating full speed, continued to slide in the same direction. Immediately I tried to sit up knowing I was headed for the boards head first, but only managed to lift my head and took the full smack on my neck and left shoulder. The momentum carried my lower body forward as if my neck were the axis of my whole body, swinging my legs around and smacking the boards a second time, thus the lower back problems I'm still having. It all happened in the space of probably 2 seconds but it felt so much longer as it happened. Seen the video afterwards and I'm suprised I even got up...eventually.

When I got back to the bench I looked up at the scoreboard and realized I couldn't read it. I still knew it was 2-1, but the numbers weren't making sense to me, nothing up there was. I tried to read the board ads as well, still no sense to it. There was ring in my left eye of blurryness which was clear in the centre. It slowly grew outward until I could no longer see it, that was terrifying.

This was December 4, 2011. Haven't put skates on since. I tried to start running again a couple of weeks ago but was overcome by headaches after I finished each time. Most agonizing 5 months of my life. Hopefully a couple more months and I'll be good to go again.

Dishtank

Apr 5, 2010
Kid Knee'ed me and i dislocated my knee cap and tore my minescus. Two years later I get hit from behind and my knee hits the boards and same thing happens.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
Broke my left femur, full speed turned at the goal line lost an edge went knee first into the boards.

Good god man, that's brutal. I only know two people to have broken a femur. One crashed his leg into the railing while riding a motorcycle at about 60 and the other skiied into a tree. The force required to break a femur is insane.

JMeiser919

Jul 22, 2008
Good god man, that's brutal. I only know two people to have broken a femur. One crashed his leg into the railing while riding a motorcycle at about 60 and the other skiied into a tree. The force required to break a femur is insane.

Yea it was pretty crazy, but 5 months to the day I was back out there skating again.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Broken right collar bone 4 weeks ago. Full speed , tangled with D and lost footing 10 feet from end boards, snap. Out 12 weeks total, or at least i hope thats all.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I hurt my knee pretty badly playing hockey (although I still finished the game and played a game the next day). I went to twist to take a quick shot at a funny angle in the slot off a rebound. I spun myself off the ice, my shin pad rode down my leg and the top of my knee slammed onto the ice. I couldn't move my knee at all while I was lying on the ice. I had knee problems for a while (working in a warehouse didn't help) until I took a week and a half off from work just to help my knee heal. It has gotten a lot better. It is completely painless now but every now and then it clicks. I don't like it but the doctors tell me if it clicks without any pain, it's not a problem.

I think I might have suffered a minor concussion before but never even bothered to get it checked out. Took a hit to the chin going after the puck in the middle of a pile of bodies. Spun me around and I hit the ice. I tried getting up and couldn't move my legs, scariest thing that's ever happened to me. The play was eventually whistled dead when the puck came towards me and I just covered it up. Sat on the ice for maybe 5 minutes before I could finally move my legs again. Got to the bench, opened the door and just sat hunched over on the bench the rest of the game.

SydNap

Dec 3, 2011
Worst Hockey Injuries (in order of sequence):

1. Torn Labrum checking another player into boards (just went pop)
2. Neck Sprain / Whiplash / Concussion (I took a monster hit, literally went down, hit the side of my head off the ice, and landed back up on my feet, I cannot explain that with normal physics)
3. Dislocated Patella (torn meniscus/cartilage)
4. Concussion (no helmet, public skate, lol)
5. Separated AC Joint (grade 3, currently recovering from this)

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Since everyone (including myself) kind of sucks at hockey and we just play for fun, the worst I've gotten was a broken toe or finger, take your pick. Both from blocking shots, so I have no scars or tales of danger :laugh:

I also took a puck to the ear, which hurt like a *****, but besides being the size of an apple for the day, it wasn't really an injury.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011

And it feels wonderful as well... Shattered mine into 4 pieces, butterfly, non-union fracture, after high siding my motorcycle at about 60mph and having my leg fold under me when I came down to earth. Have a titanium rod running from knee to hip still holding it together 12 years later; had four massive bolts removed after a year. That leg's never been the same since.

My one piece of advice to anyone that suffers this injury. If the paramedics use the words 'traction splint', do your best to pass out.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Wow, reading some of these injuries I guess I have been lucky!

I separated my shoulder twice, and have had a few rib strains and other sprains but that's about it.

fish7

Feb 11, 2012
st. louis, mo
the most painful was a hip pointer i suffered junior year in college, i thought i was going to die when I sneezed the day after it happened. probably the worst was when i was in 5th grade and i got slashed and the force of it exploded the top of my pinky almost all the way off. I finished my shift because it did not really hurt at first I got to the bench and took off my glove and saw some blood and my coach freaked out. They made me put my finger in a cup of ice while we waited for the ambulance and when i accidentally knocked it over it looked like a cherry slush. I have this on video somewhere since my mom was taking movies on the old super 8mm camera

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
I got hit from behind. 3 herniated discs which required surgery. One of which was herniated 16mm. Feeling much better and im back on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad