Your worst injury

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
I was practicing at public skate, did a hockey stop near the boards, lost an edge, and slammed my knee into the boards. It was so bad that I couldn't even stand up. Many months later, I was still having problems. I went to the doctor and they thought I had torn my ACL. Fortunately, my knee was just really loose.

If you're asking about injuries incurred during hockey, I sprained my other knee while attempting a wraparound goal. The goaltender, defenseman, and I converged at the same point, in a huge collision. That sprain is still giving me trouble.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
My worst was a hyper-extended wrist which has lingered for the better part of a year now. Constant pain when I use my wrist for anything now. When I don't play hockey for a couple weeks it starts to heal up but then I play hockey and the first shot re-aggrivates it. I'm stubborn, yes.

I've gotten a couple concussions, but no lingering effects thus far, thankfully.

steev182

Apr 26, 2012
Not hockey, but I tore the meniscus in my left knee playing Rugby. Nobody touched me, just changed direction too quickly and "pop" knee gone. Stood up, limped to the touchline, sprayed some deep heat around it and wrapped it up and carried on. Next morning, I couldn't put any weight on my leg. Saw a doctor and he thought it was an MCL sprain, rested it for 6 weeks as he said. Back to training and I could jog, but couldn't run, so went back to the doctor, another 3 months later, had an MRI scan and sure enough, a flap of cartilage in my knee (which would explain my knee locking at a certain angle!).

Another 3 months passed and had an arthroscopy and I could finally run again... The NHS is a blessing and a curse though. Cost me nothing apart from the National Insurance contributions I'd put in since I was 16, but they had no interest in getting me to see a physio. As long as I could walk in front of them, they didn't care, fortunately the club had a physic who helped.

650X2

Oct 20, 2011
While playing hockey broken wrist.

Took a shot then got leveled. Scored on the shot though.

Also had a concussion while wake boarding. That is it for major injuries though.

Saucy Dangles

Apr 11, 2012
San Jose, CA
Broke my collar bone and separated my shoulder. That was the worst 6 weeks ever. Guy cross checked me at center ice protecting himself from an open ice hit. When we came together he extended his stick right at my shoulder and it went pop...:cry:

Next time we played them later in the season, I made sure to say hello to him again, only this time I showed shoulder then dropped hip on him (and yes it was a borderline hit). Returned the favor, and sent him home with a nice concussion (he cartwheeled and landed on his cranium), which ended up earning me a hearing in front of the USA Hockey West Board. No suspension for the hit, but I got a good slap on the wrist and a "we are watching you" warning. :naughty:

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Worst hockey injury was a lumbar strain. I missed 2 weeks, and then my first game back I got crosschecked right in the small of the back and had to leave the ice again.

Worst overall injury is a broken finger. I've been really lucky.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
From hockey, just a few stitches above my eye.

Got a concussion the night before a hockey game but had no idea, went to the hospital to stitch up the back of my head after my morning game and found out that I'd been concussed.

Worst injury ever was breaking my hand clear off of my wrist.
break1.jpg

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I think i hurt my elbow once :sarcasm:

Actually it could have been a minor concusion but who knows i am not doctor.

I (6.2 175) was skating in the center of the ice for a loose slow moving puck during a pick up game. This kid (19?) who was around 6.6 200 drilled me. I was down for 5 seconds but kept playing. Later that night i had headaches but after a few days i felt fine.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Last year For the first time in 16 years of hockey I was injured. Blocked a shot and broke my thumb. Worst injury I've had.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
ugh, why would you even make a thread like this?

My worst was a hyper-extended wrist which has lingered for the better part of a year now. Constant pain when I use my wrist for anything now. When I don't play hockey for a couple weeks it starts to heal up but then I play hockey and the first shot re-aggrivates it. I'm stubborn, yes.

i've had something similar. it's not uncommon for this type of injury (hyper flexion/extension) to be muscle tissue damage but misdiagnosed as bone/joint damage.

it can be treated with essentially deep tissue massage, or ART/graston. you wouldn't even need to stop playing. find any sore/tight spots in your forearm, apply lots of pressure, then go through the full-range of motion with your wrist (both directions, no twisting) and fingers (spread way apart, then bring all the fingertips together). move the pressure half-an-inch to another spot. repeat. do that daily, until symptoms improve. good luck.

Last edited:

AndreD

Oct 24, 2010
London, UK
Partially tore muscle on the inside of my thigh at the end of last season. Knew it hurt at the time but played through it, next day out with my sister my leg rolled away from me to the side and wouldn't come back. Told to take six weeks off from skating, three weeks later I was skating on it again.

Also hit my head hard on the Ice twice. First one was when I was just starting hockey, it was an accidental head-on collision during a drill, unconscious for a few seconds and don't remember the collision itself. Second time was maybe 5 months ago in a training drill, tried to get round our best defenseman, and took an amazingly perfect, effortless hit. Couldn't move my neck without pain for about 2 weeks after.

Never actually had an injury occur during a game though, always training or afterwards.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
playing through a torn groin now and have a couple broken fingers.. easier to play with the broken fingers than groin, but they hurt worse.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
On the ice? Broken finger, hyperextended wrist (brutal) and a horrendous hematoma from a fall on my ass.

Off the ice? 6 concussions, 5 broken fingers, severely broken femur, torn meniscus and MCL, broken foot, and two back surgeries. Off the top of my head.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dislocated and broke the same shoulder on the same play. Cutting hard to the net on my off wing and the dman took out my feet, both of us crashed into the boards behind the net. Real hard injury to get over in the run of a season.

Worst part was it was a blue and white game in training camp my overage year in junior, missed the whole year, and still have problems with it, happened a year and a half ago.

thisismikea

Sep 10, 2011
atlanta, ga
4 teeth took a snapshot follow through last year. not too terrible pain wise, but certainly the worst cost wise.

when i was younger i hyperextended my elbow. that was brutal.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Concussion that made me color blind for a week.
Broke both cheek bones 2 weeks apart.
6 broken noses.
Over 70 stitches in my face
Fractured orbital bone.
2 teeth
1 knee
Got hit with a shot and broke my wrist.

Worst sports injury.........Torn hamstring playing co-ed softball.:blush:

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
From hockey? nothing but some bumps and bruises.
from soccer ive gotter a huge gash on my head that took about 8 stitches to close, a broken finger and a severely sprained calf muscle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad