Your Thoughts On Having Secondary Favourite Teams?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Good to have if your team isn't playing in every game of the Season, or if your team has been eliminated from the Playoffs. I mean, if you watch enough of a particular team sport, other than just games that involve your favorite team, it seems obvious or natural that you could develop some degree of "like" for certain other teams. Personally though, I'm just as likely to "like" certain other teams not only for the team of players but also for the city if it's a city a like.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I was Leaf fan as kid because they were "the team" but I wasn't a serious fan until the 90s when I developed a real like for the Blues after we faced them in the playoffs. CuJo, Shanny, Oates and Brett Hull were quickly among my favorite players and I considered myself a Blues fan until that generation phased out (was thrilled when they got Pronger who was one of my faves since before his draft). I still have a soft spot for them and they will always be my 2nd team. It's also nice that they are Western so it creates 0 conflict of interest.

I also have a bit of an expansion fetish and have followed every expansion team for a time...yes even Ottawa ( I still feel dirty) but I have never and will never want another team to beat the Leafs especially now that the Blues have their Cup.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
... I have never and will never want another team to beat the Leafs especially now that the Blues have their Cup.

Having second or third favorite teams, or just other teams that you like, never means that you ever want those teams to beat your favorite team,... or at least it shouldn't!

Reactions: BlueBaron

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Die-hard Avalanche fan.

I have other teams that I like (Mtl), but mostly I like watching other star players around the league, when I’m not watching the Avs.

For me, actually rooting for a team not named the Colorado Avalanche, would feel kinda dirty.

As a die hard Avs fan, I have absolutely no problem rooting for whatever team is playing Detroit. Old hatreds die hard...

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
I'm a die hard Islanders fan first and foremost, but unless they are playing the Isles, I always root for the Devils to do well. I got family in Jersey, the two have never had a real rivalry, and both hate the Rangers

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I don't have secondary teams but I do have some teams that I like.

There are also moments when I might be rooting for a certain team temporarily like in the playoffs, for example Ovi winning the Cup made me very happy, now I'm not a Cap's fan but I was rooting for them to win it that year.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Not my cuppa but who am I to judge.

(Die hard Oilers fan since the WHA days) with how they have been run since Katz took over (similarly to Pocklington's after selling Gretz), I would be an ass if I couldn't relate with those who find solace in cheering on another team... except for Calgary. :naughty:

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If you move away from your old team's geographic locale, it makes sense that you'd at least consider rooting for your new hometown team as well.

As for myself, the Rangers are far and away my favorite, but i'll root for the Wild in games that don't affect the Rangers. Why? I dunno, just kinda picked a Western Conference team so i'd watch more hockey

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Having a legit second favourite team is really lame. Likea team that youll wear their jerseys and stuff like that? You cant be a die hard for your first favourite team if you do that kinda stuff.

The onyl way I find this acceptable is if you knnow people playing on teams and you root for them. I have a few buddies playing in the NHL and I would still not wear their jerseys or hats or anything around. Just cheer for them when theyre playing for anyone not my favourite team

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is my main team, then some others that I like, either because of their style of play, players, coach, uniform, or their fans. I have come to like the CAR fans, mainly because they respond to my "funny" posts with witty comebacks, and seem to lack the mean, ignorant types who seem to have nothing better to do than spew venom. I enjoy fans who don't take their team for granted, and understand that you can be passionate about your team without putting others down.

I have come to like BOS, as they understand hockey and what it takes to win quite well. Glad to see Coyle doing well...he is quite underrated, IMO.

I always have an interest in Montreal.

DRW fans are funny now. They're shit, and they know it, but have a wealth of winning behind them, which has stopped them from being mean, like a dog that has been beaten too often.

Pitt is a good watch because of Crosby, and I like to see how Zucker is doing with his new team.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I root for the Panthers and have rooted for the Canucks at times(Luongo and I liked Bert prior to the Moore incident) and the Stars when Modono was there.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Huge Devils fan, always have been always will be. My girlfriends father got her into hockey when she was young, and he was a big Canadiens fan.

We found that things actually got tense when we hated on each other’s teams, so it didn’t take long before we started rooting for each other’s teams. Honestly, the only thing that sucks is how bad both the teams we’ve chosen are.

But yeah, watch hockey however you want, root for the refs if you want.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
As a die-hard Stars fan I didn’t know anything about hockey till they moved to Dallas; they’re my team. Listened to the NYR win 7 game Cup series on radio that season and hooked me to hockey; they’re my “2nd team”.

If they ever meet in Finals it’s Go Stars of course though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My introduction to hockey as a kid was the Gretzky led Kings. Their run in 1993 helped propel the NHL pass the MLB/NBA/NFL for me. But they missed the playoffs in 1994 and the other "cool" kids at school picked teams to cheer for (temporarily). I was impressed by this rookie named Brodeur who was doing well, so I went with the Devils that spring. Kings missed the playoffs again in 1995 and I went back to cheering for the Devils. Conveniently they won the Cup and simultaneously the other kids were teasing me for being a bandwagon fan. So I've been overcompensating for 25+ years now as a Devils fan.

Meanwhile the Kings remained a distant secondary club for me. Their ownership/management in the mid-90s set that team back for awhile, but I still followed them since they were local. As the Kings bottomed out after the lockout, they were a little more interesting to follow since I was getting more and more into the prospect side of the game. So I was lurking more on their boards to debate high draft picks and how to build a team from the bottom up.

I didn't take any particular joy from the Kings two Cup victories (naturally not 2012 for sure), but was happy enough for the friends I knew had cheered for them during the lean years. I own a Gretzky Kings jersey since I probably wouldn't be a hockey fan (or at least one posting on a message board) without him.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Don't understand the hate and don't understand the cheap part. I grew up in South Florida. We didn't have a hockey team when I was growing up. My dad is from New York. He was an Islanders fan so naturally, I became a Rangers fan. So, I've been a Ranger since I can remember but once we got a hometown team (the Florida Panthers) I became of diehard fan of them. I will still root for the Rangers and watch them play but I'm a Panthers fan first (yes, there are Panther fans). That's how I have more than one team that I follow and root for.

I explained how it's lame and cheap. You disagree. So be it.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I think it all depends on how you grow up. There is no right or wrong answer.

I grew up watching players more than I had a favorite team. I moved around a ton so my loyalties kinda settled themselves.

I’m a die hard Hurricanes fan and have been since 02. I will always be a fan of them over anyone else no matter what.

I have lived in Florida for nearly half my life so I watched many many Lightning games and they are my “second” team. I also follow the Sharks because of Joe Thornton.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No, you didn’t explain how it’s cheap, you just stated that. I don’t see how it’s cheap. Maybe you can EXPLAIN it and not just state it. Thank you.

It's cheap because someone grows up with a team. They go through the successes and heartaches. Said team is part of one's family. Then one decides to cheer for another team? Pfff.

Reactions: Quack

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It baffles me that people set these out these invisible road blocks in their life and use a “there can only be one” mentality.

Humans need to get these sticks out of their asses and enjoy life

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I am 57. Grew up a Rangers fan. Parents had season seats and due to parents business we got to know a lot of the Rangers and their families quite closely.
We were long suffering fans until 1994 long after I had moved away to the west coast in 1981.

In 1999 MY job offered me the opportunity to start going to Ducks games and to develop some relationships with a couple players. I started taking my young daughter to games and we certainly became fans as we lived through the playoff runs and Cup. Even as they struggle we know people in the org and though it’s been tough, the few games are still a time For me and my daughter to enjoy

So I’m a fan of both the Rangers and Ducks

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad