Your Thoughts On Having Secondary Favourite Teams?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
CBJ fan. Watch all of our games.

Also enjoy watching Washington, Tampa, Vegas, Edmonton, Avs, and Toronto. Don't necessarily root for them to win, but they're entertaining teams and have some nice rivalries to watch.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Formed my love of hockey through the Ducks. Vegas was just gonna be a casual follow given that I've lived in Las Vegas since 2005. But after the Mandalay Bay shooting and how integral the VGK became to the community, I have no moral hangups about supporting both teams. They both mean a great deal to me personally and if anyone else thinks it's "lame", I don't really give a shit.

I have one word for you:

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk, i also am a fan of two teams.

Senators and Knights

Reactions: HanSolo

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It depends on your definition of second favorite team. For me, I like to watch the Coyotes play when the Flames are not. They are a team that I follow and wish for the best, but I always want the Flames to be better and win a cup over them. I've put on t-shirts and hats of the Coyotes during their 2012 playoff run. That's also because my team was out and I was in for the playoff ride that year. Does that constitute as being a fan of the team? I'm not so sure it does. When it comes to the local team, it's a good conversation starter, especially for those Arizonans that don't really watch hockey at all. I like to cheer for the local team wherever I live. Currently I am in a different state than Arizona and is not a state with a hockey team, so I haven't been to games as frequent. I am a die-hard Flames fan first and also a die-hard hockey fan.

I've lived in Arizona most of my life, so once I made the move down there I was able to watch an NHL team more often. But, whenever the Flames are in town against the Coyotes I am obviously cheering for the Flames. I watch every Flames game religiously and make sure my schedule is always cleared for them.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I just can’t bring myself to actually cheer for another team, just like, despite being one of the most embarrassing franchises over the last decade plus, I can’t bring myself to stop cheering for the Oilers. Many a time I would have loved to change my allegiances but no dice.

Im a frequent gambler so I root for certain teams that I put good money on. I also really enjoy watching the Leafs play, and I put on many of there games as they play before the Oilers, but I root against them when they are in slumps and playoffs because there media is unbearable in Canada

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I like the Jets and the Rangers and I really don't care what anyone in this thread thinks of that! My enjoyment of watching these teams does not depend on how much someone approves of it.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I only have one favorite and could never root for 2 teams, but I'm not gonna be a gate keeping twat about who are and aren't "true hockey fans" either. If you want to support 2 teams, go for it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Eh, I have teams I really like, as in I like a bunch of their players and enjoy watching them. It isn’t exactly the same as a “second favorite”. I have my team through thick and thin for life, but I am a “fan” of other teams, in so much as if I look at the nightly schedule and see them it’s a pretty automatic “yeah, I’m watching that game”. I guess there’s a difference between saying I’m a Rangers and Capitals fan as saying I’m a Rangers fan but I love watching the Avs, Blues, Caps, etc. I don’t know.
ehat

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
When I started watching hockey 20 years ago, of course I had soft spots for other teams that weren't my favorite team.

But as time goes on, I find you end up hating all other teams that aren't your own.

OmazingGrace

Apr 19, 2019
Shit I'm a Wild fan, When it comes to secondary teams itd be much easier to name teams I dont like.

Kings, Ducks, Nucks, Flames, Leaves, Habs, Jackets, Rangers, Stars.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I don't see a problem with it provided your not gonna root for them like or over your favorite team. Or if their a rival.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
It doesn’t bother me if people have second favorite teams, but I can never really get excited about another team winning unless it knocks a rival out of the playoffs or something, but in that case it’s more hating the rival than rooting for the other team. It’s tough for me to even get excited about Team USA game at the World Juniors or the Olympics. I just don’t find myself caring that much. I watch it to see an entertaining, exciting game and I guess I hope the US wins, but if they lose in a good game I don’t really care.

I do develop a soft spot for players, though. Like I was excited to see Ovi win the Cup, I love watching Stamkos play, and I would really enjoy seeing Lundqvist win a Cup before he retires. I wouldn’t say I care about the Caps, Bolts, or Rangers, though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Seeing the Bruins (favorite team) play the Blues (2nd favorite team) in the Cup Final put that to the test and showed me that I really don't care about my 2nd favorite team. That being said they're still my #2 and I still like them.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Meh.

Colorado is my club 100%, but I find myself always wanting to see Montreal do well and watch most of their games. At the end of the day it's entertainment, let people enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My two teams are the Toronto Maple Leafs, and then Tampa Bay Lightning.

Works well when the two teams are far apart in the standings, but the closer it gets the more I have to put the Tampa stuff aside. But it is funny that they switched to a Toronto Maple Leafs look about 10 years ago.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
At one point I really liked the Hawks (crazy as that sounds), but it might've been more because of Patrick Kane than loving the franchise itself.

That year he won the Conn Smythe he was my favourite player in hockey & I was full on the Hawks bandwagon.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Clearly I root for the Red Wings and Predators. Detroit has and will always be my #1 team so if they play each other im rooting for Detroit, I just wont be upset if Nashville wins. And after this past season with Detroit, I dont even know how I wouldve made it through lol

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
for NFL i'm a Packers Texans fan, Packers #1 Texans i've been a fan of for the past 5 years. I felt like I needed a 2nd team as I hate bye weeks when the Packers are not playing and have to watch teams I cant give a crap about. Also didnt want to be one of those bandwagon ass fans "I'm a Packers/Patriots fan" GTFO. Luckily the Packers and Texans both havent landed on the same bye week. (knock on wood)

#FireBillO'Brien

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t just follow but religiously follow and root for both the Rangers and Ducks. Rangers would be first if they faced each-other though. The chance of a Ducks and Rangers SCF are not happening in my lifetime so don’t have to worry about that. They only play each-other twice a year, and when they do, usually not a critical time of the season, and just hope for a 3 point game.

It’s nice having a perspective of both the East and West, and usually can watch both games live since the Western games start later.

I really don’t care if people have a problem with others who have two teams. The whole one team or no team is utter BS, please stop.

Brownies

I usually pick a team in the west to cheer for (at least in the playoffs) but it changes from years to years. I'm an habs fan and Vancouver was who I rooted for in the W when the Sedins were there. So much fun watching them cycle and make crazy passes !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad