Your Thoughts On Having Secondary Favourite Teams?

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
I assume most hockey fans have a favourite team. Mine is the Detroit Red Wings. However, there exists a divide afterwards I guess, some people have secondary teams while other people refuse to do that, insisting that there can only be one. I personally use the Devils and Islanders as secondary teams, especially considering Detroit aren't appearing to get better anytime soon.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Red Wings

my 2nd favorite teams vary from season to season, coach to coach.

Right now I like:
St. Louis
Edmonton
Columbus

I was a big Montreal fan for the first time ever this year - they were really fun to watch, but I stopped caring once they traded Kovy and basically threw in the towel for the season.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Maybe it’s the wording secondary favourite I don’t like but many people have their main club and others they like and follow.

Diehard Oiler since 1984 and a long time Kings fan since the Great one went south. Had Pockington not sold Gretzky I’d honestly never have been a Kings fan. That said I see nothing lame about liking 2 teams. To each their own though.

Edit certain teams shouldn’t mix like being an Oilers and Flames fan or Leafs and Bruins or Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkzuk

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
I see some mention it varying by season, I understand that a bit (who I root for in the playoffs can depend on who the underdog is), but generally I have had Detroit on top and then Devils, Islanders or Avalanche under that.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m a Rangers fan and there’s no other team I’d consider myself a fan of, there are just other teams that I hate to varying degrees. This aligns with the psychology behind why we love sports so much, it’s the channeling of that innate tribalism into something more civilized. I think most people who are fans of multiple teams are newer hockey fans who aren’t as invested.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I’m a Rangers fan and there’s no other team I’d consider myself a fan of, there are just other teams that I hate to varying degrees. This aligns with the psychology behind why we love sports so much, it’s the channeling of that innate tribalism into something more civilized. I think most people who are fans of multiple teams are newer hockey fans who aren’t as invested.

Pretty much the opposite of what I think. New fans dont have as much knowledge of teams and players so they cling to one specific team. Its how favourite teams happen.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Pretty much the opposite of what I think. New fans dont have as much knowledge of teams and players so they cling to one specific team. Its how favourite teams happen.
I don’t know, for instance The Hockey Guy’s discord is full of newer fans and they all have [VGK/PIT/STL] in their names as fans of multiple teams. Same with Reddit, which is another site of much more casual fans than HF. I’m young but I imagine someone like a 60 year old Leafs fan would have a lot of built up resentment to the teams who always beat their own all these years lol, someone who is a newer fan would have less attachment and be able to bandwagon from one to the other

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I don’t know, for instance The Hockey Guy’s discord is full of newer fans and they all have [VGK/PIT/STL] in their names as fans of multiple teams. Same with Reddit, which is another site of much more casual fans than HF. I’m young but I imagine someone like a 60 year old Leafs fan would have a lot of built up resentment to the teams who always beat their own all these years lol, someone who is a newer fan would have less attachment and be able to bandwagon from one to the other

Speaking of hockey fan, hes a fan of three or four teams, right?

I grew up with a leaf's dad, canadiens mother, and siblings who liked Edmonton and boston. I learned pretty quick that you cant just hate every other team. Except Vancouver. Nobody should like Vancouver.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I am a die hard Toronto Maple Leaf's fan. However I refused to pick them in my fantasy hockey league, so that people don't make fun of me, as people enjoy humiliating us here. So I picked a random O6 team - the New York Rangers. It was a true random pick and the other teams were already taken ... it was basically them or the Habs (and I will never pick them). I had no idea about NYR'r roster, but I really love it now, especially Georgiev, Fox and DeAngelo. In my mind I am the New York Rangers now ... despite that the only player my team has from the NYR is Fox!!!

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
Speaking of hockey fan, hes a fan of three or four teams, right?

I grew up with a leaf's dad, canadiens mother, and siblings who liked Edmonton and boston. I learned pretty quick that you cant just hate every other team. Except Vancouver. Nobody should like Vancouver.
He's a fan of Vancouver, Boston and Dallas.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Anyone who is a fan of a second team probably isn't a diehard fan of their first team. It's lame and cheap. And if anyone is a fan of two teams that are rivals it's even worse.

Don't understand the hate and don't understand the cheap part. I grew up in South Florida. We didn't have a hockey team when I was growing up. My dad is from New York. He was an Islanders fan so naturally, I became a Rangers fan. So, I've been a Ranger since I can remember but once we got a hometown team (the Florida Panthers) I became of diehard fan of them. I will still root for the Rangers and watch them play but I'm a Panthers fan first (yes, there are Panther fans). That's how I have more than one team that I follow and root for.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I really only had 1 second favorite team and it was the Packers in the NFL. As I got older though I paid less and less attention to them. I guess I'd root for them in the SuperBowl/Playoffs if the Giants were out.

Reactions: adsfan

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I think it's kind of weird having a 2nd favourite team in the same conference, since you're directly competing with them.

In opposite conferences it's fine, it'd be rare that they'd meet in the Finals.

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
I think it's kind of weird having a 2nd favourite team in the same conference, since you're directly competing with them.

In opposite conferences it's fine, it'd be rare that they'd meet in the Finals.
I honestly don't really care about traditional rivalries like others may, like I may be a Detroit fan but I don't hate the Blues or Blackhawks, my least favourite teams are Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Vancouver. Same with other sports though, Detroit and Green Bay are my two favourite NFL teams despite them being in the same division.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
To me it comes down to players, more than teams.

Im a Habs fan and its the only team i care for.

But - im also a very big fan of Crosby so always root for him and Pittsburgh to do well. But its about the player, not the team. If Crosby was traded to NYR tomorrow, id stop rooting for Pittsburgh and instead root for NYR. There are other players i like around the league to varying degrees and therefore root for other teams in a similar sense.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I see nothing wrong with it. I'm a die hard Oilers fan but when I was a kid I had a few secondary favorite teams like Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Quebec.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Here come the geniuses who consider people supporting two teams traitors or fake fans and whatnot.

This.

Id love to hear the logic behind “you aren’t a die hard fan if you also like another team”.

I’ll always cheer for Detroit first. They’ve been my favourite for as long as I can remember, know random facts and stats about their players, I watch 99% of the games they play, and I post on a god damn message board about them. How exactly does that not make someone a “die hard” fan just because if/when Detroit is out of contention, I enjoy cheering for the Bruins?

Bergeron has been my favourite non-Wings player since he entered the league (and probably current favourite player overall since the Wings don’t have much to like now...) and the Bruins are also the closest to me geographically while also my dad’s favourite team.

So because I don’t actively hope no one else wins the Cup if it’s not Detroit it means I’m not a real fan?

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
With all these double posts I've been seeing recently, I wonder if it's a trouble with migration of the servers or something.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
People can do what they want, really. Don't really care.

In my case I have a favourite team in the city I now live in and attend games semi-regularly (and used to share seasons tickets). I also keep following the team in the city I grew up in and cheered on when I was young, before I adopted my current city's team, and I cheer for them except when they play my favourite team.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Die-hard Avalanche fan.

I have other teams that I like (Mtl), but mostly I like watching other star players around the league, when I’m not watching the Avs.

For me, actually rooting for a team not named the Colorado Avalanche, would feel kinda dirty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad