Your Team's Top 10 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
:avs

1. D Bowen Byram (2019, 1st Round, 4th OA)
2. C Alex Newhook (2019, 1st Round, 16th OA)
3. D Justin Barron (2020, 1st Round, 25th OA)
4. RW Oscar Olausson (2021, 1st Round, 28th OA)
5. D Drew Helleson (2019, 2nd Round, 47th OA)
6. G Justus Annunen (2018, 3rd Round, 64th OA)
7. D Sean Behrens (2021, 2nd Round, 61st OA)
8. RW Martin Kaut (2018, 1st Round, 16th OA)
9. C Jean-Luc Foudy (2020, 3rd Round, 75th OA)
10. RW Sampo Ranta (2017, 3rd Round, 78th OA)
HM1. C Shane Bowers (2017, 1st Round, 28th OA by Ottawa)
HM2. RW Alex Beaucage (2019, 3rd Round, 78th OA)

I might be too low on Bowers and Kaut but at this point it's make or break time for them.

Reactions: Aeros026

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Don't want to just bud into the middle of this, but how many 1st pairing Dmen were traded without a Dman going the other way? Or how often do top Dmen hit the FA market?

How often do star forwards get traded? How often do top forwards hit the FA market?

A ton of defensemen changed hands this offseason so, I dunno? I wouldn't know the answer to your question because I don't have the data readily available. But strategically, I'd rather have a system that overall nets more quality players, even if that's at the expense of positional balance.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Guenther
2. Soderstrom
3. Hayton
4. Jenik
5. Timmins
6. Maccelli
7. Prosvetov
8. Kolyachonok
9. Doan
10.Fedotov
--
11. Moser
12. Farinacci

VERY good thing the team has two 1sts and five 2nds in the next draft (so far) because that's an incredibly weak pool for the worst team in the NHL.

Silver lining is that I expect only Timmins and Moser to graduate to the NHL this season. I suspect the other 10 guys on the list will still be prospects a year from now, when the two 1sts and five 2nds get added.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
1. Guenther
2. Soderstrom
3. Hayton
4. Jenik
5. Timmins
6. Maccelli
7. Prosvetov
8. Kolyachonok
9. Doan
10.Fedotov
--
11. Moser
12. Farinacci

VERY good thing the team has two 1sts and five 2nds in the next draft (so far) because that's an incredibly weak pool for the worst team in the NHL.

It’s worlds better than before Armstrong started the rebuild a month ago. A true gem in Guenther, two young defenders in Timmins and Kolya and a lot more bites at the 2021 draft apple with guys like Doan and Fedotov and Moser than you started with. That system is gonna looked stocked after the ‘22 draft (which could have more picks coming pending Kessel and other guys being dealt) - I see it bearing fruit the way the Sens system is starting to now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Here is NYR's board results of our top 10, voted on by our members:

Ranger's Summer 2021 Prospect Ranking

1. Alexis Lafrenière (F) (2020 Draft - 1st round)
2. Nils Lundkvist (D)
(2018 Draft - 1st round)
3. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round )
4. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round)
5. Braden Schneider (D) (2020 Draft - 1st round)
6. Zac Jones (D) (2019 Draft - 3rd round)
7. Matthew Robertson (D) (2019 Draft - 2nd round)
8. Brennan Othmann (F) (2021 Draft - 1st round)
9. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 Draft - 6th round)
10. Julien Gauthier (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round)

Graduated: Kakko, Fox, Chytil, Shesterkin, Lindgren

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

2. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round)

Miller and Lafreniere has 53 and 56 games with the Rangers last season. Being on the roster the entire season. They're expected to stay in the Rangers all of next season. What are the requirements to be a prospect?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
We use the same criteria that HF has always used to classify a prospect:

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

65 NHL games to be removed.

Fair. I would assume they would have been considered graduated by this note at the bottom of that link:

NOTE: These are general guidelines and should be followed the majority of the time but certain players may still be listed as prospects if circumstances warrant. Also, for players that are close to either the 65-game (skaters) or 45-game (goaltenders) benchmark but have also clearly "arrived" as NHL players, HF reserves the right to remove these players from consideration as prospects and instead consider these players graduated.

Either way, was just curious. I was setting the Kings polls up and only list those eligible to win the Calder.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Addison is more NHL-ready than Lambos and O'Rourke at this point, but IMO they both have higher upside potential than Addison. That being said, I don't see much separation between the three in terms of value.
Both ROR and Lambos have two way skills and decent size. Lambos has more offensive upside, and has top pairing potential. I think ROR has mid pairing potential. Addison is vg with the puck, and a good skater, but I think he will have to be sheltered defensively.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Devils are a tough group to figure since so many players under 23 were actually in the NHL lineup at one point - including 20-year-olds Jack Hughes and Ty Smith. Jesper Bratt has played four seasons and turned 23 last week.

Also, two of the three defensemen playing in Russia are wildcards at this point.

For the purposes of this list I excluded anyone with more than 10 NHL games last year.

1, Alexander Holtz
2, Dawson Mercer
3. Kevin Bahl
4. Luke Hughes
5. Nolan Foote
6. Shakir Mukhamadullin
7. Nikita Okhotyuk
8. Graeme Clark
9. Tyce Thompson
10. Nico Daws/Chase Stillman (tie)
Kevin Bahl over Luke Hughes seems like a hot take.

Reactions: willsy

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Kevin Bahl over Luke Hughes seems like a hot take.

Could certainly change. Bahl looked NHL ready and does secondary and tertiary things positionally that many young players (and even veterans) don't recognize. And his size and reach are advantages.

In fairness, Luke Hughes has yet to play in the World Juniors or even the U18 so there is a bit less to judge.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
think it is more likely like this......

1 a- Lundkvist
1 b- Schneider
3- Kravtsov
4- Othmann
5- Robertson
6- Grubbe
7- Jones
8- Cuylie
9- Barron
10- Berard

Not a fan of either Pajuniemi and Reunanen, both are liabilities in the defensive zone.

Why is Jones so low?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
How often do star forwards get traded? How often do top forwards hit the FA market?

A ton of defensemen changed hands this offseason so, I dunno? I wouldn't know the answer to your question because I don't have the data readily available. But strategically, I'd rather have a system that overall nets more quality players, even if that's at the expense of positional balance.

How does that matter if you're only drafting forwards?

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
1. Caufield
2. Guhle
3. Mailloux
4. Norlinder
5. Harris
6. Primeau
7. Tuch
8. Struble
9. Poehling
10. Ylonen

very strong D prospects. Very low on poehling

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
1. Guenther
2. Soderstrom
3. Hayton
4. Jenik
5. Timmins
6. Maccelli
7. Prosvetov
8. Kolyachonok
9. Doan
10.Fedotov
--
11. Moser
12. Farinacci

Silver lining is that I expect only Timmins and Moser to graduate to the NHL this season. I suspect the other 10 guys on the list will still be prospects a year from now, when the two 1sts and five 2nds get added.

May be off the board but I quite like Ben McCartney for u fellas.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

2. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round)

The Rangers have no business icing that team they have right now and also having Schneider as their fifth best prospect…

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We use the same criteria that HF has always used to classify a prospect:

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

65 NHL games to be removed.

There was always some flexibility to it and given the shortened season I'd expect that threshold would have been significantly lowered. Perhaps 40 games from this past season. HF is defunct by the way so "always used" not "has always used".

A guy who makes his team out of camp and plays every game is certainly not a prospect.

Reactions: Guttersniped

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There was always some flexibility to it and given the shortened season I'd expect that threshold would have been significantly lowered. Perhaps 40 games from this past season. HF is defunct by the way so "always used" not "has always used".

A guy who makes his team out of camp and plays every game is certainly not a prospect.
I don't know what you want me to say dude, we've been running the poll the same exact way for a decade. Just remove Laf and Miller from the list if you don't feel they belong there.

Reactions: Tube Skates

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Why is Jones so low?

I think its more that I like the other players better as prospects. I believe that Robertson, Othmann and Grubbe will have better careers then Jones. I am in the minority with Grubbe, I am extremly high on him. I think he is a future Captain who everyone says was the missing piece 4/5 years from now. I also am of the belief that Jones will not be here for long- I don't believe that teams can win in the playoffs with 3 defensemen under six foot tall like Fox, Lundkvist and Jones are. Honestly I am leary having 2 under 6 foot.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
:flames

Other than ceiling and floor I tend to place a lot of value on how close a prospect is to NHL ready. I'mma do top 20 just cuz I feel like it. Not a ton of bluechip high end prospects in the Flames' pool but I feel it's quite deep. Will stick to drafted prospects for this list. Really noticeable is that the Flames like to draft undersized high IQ players in later rounds.

1) (C) Connor Zary - best C prospect the Flames have had in quite some time. Smart, great edges, and really good vision and hands. Quality 2 way player that projects as a middle 6 C at this point in time.

2) (RW) Matthew Coronato - High ceiling high floor winger prospect. Not quite as high as some others are on him but really has a great shot, scoring nearly a goal per game in the USHL. Smart, great edges, good vision and hands(reoccurring theme for Flames prospects). Reasonably good bet to be an eventual top 6 winger.

3) (LW) Jakob Pelletier - Another high ceiling high floor winger prospect. Great motor, forechecking demon, quality 2 way player. Don't see top line upside with Pelletier but like him to be a good eventual middle 6 player. Has great attention to detail for his age. Smart, great edges, good vision and hands(sic)

4) (RW) Matthew Phillips - Good ceiling, low floor winger prospect. Going a little off the board here but is very close to NHL ready and has been a good producer wherever he goes. Undersized(very) but drives the net fearlessly and has a great goal scorers touch. Even if he doesn't amount to much as a Flame he was great value in the 6th round.

5) (LD) Yan Kuznetsov - Big smooth skating shutdown D. Has an impressive resume for a player his age seeing success in the NCAA, WJCs, and already has got 6 games in the AHL. Not a super high ceiling for Yan but his skating and size should get him some games eventually.

6) (G) Dustin Wolf - Very smart goaltender. Also undersized but simply has terrific anticipation, reads the play extremely well. CHL Goaltender of the Year and 2X WHL Goaltender of the Year. Still a ways off but very high on him.

7) (C) Adam Ruzicka - Big rangy center who has improved every year. Impresses every time I watch him. Great hands and vision, skating is alright. Has a shot to get some NHL games this year at some point, needs to improve his defense and play in traffic. Likely a bottom 6 C as his ceiling.

8) (LD) Jeremie Poirier - Fantastic offensive defenseman. Carries the puck a lot and shoots at every opportunity. Improved his defense somewhat last season from atrocious to just bad. Still very raw and an intriguing long term project.

9) (C) Ryan Francis - Quietly was 5th in ppg in the QMJHL last season just behind Dawson Mercer and ahead of guys like Lapierre, Bourgault, and Bourque. Yet another undersized intelligent player with great edges, hands, and vision.

10) (LW) William Stromgren - Fast and physical, gets to scoring areas really well with great hands. Another raw long term project.

11) (C) Matthias Emilio-Pettersen - Kind of a forgotten player but has always been a favourite of mine. Elite hands, uses his linemates really well and should be ready for more responsibility in the AHL this year. Probably not a center at the NHL level but you never know.

12) (RW) Emil Heineman - Pain in the ass physical winger, lot of runway left for Emil but has some great north south speed and could be an effective forechecker at the NHL level. Bottom 6 winger ceiling.

13) (C) Cole Huckins - Great athlete and good value in the 3rd round. Long term project but could be a middle 6 C down the road.

14) (RW) Dmitry Zavgorodny - Underwhelming season from Zav last year has knocked him down my ranking but has some nice speed and compliments talent well. Sadly it's top 6 or bust for this player and doesn't have a great chance of breaking in to the NHL anytime soon. Could see him bouncing around a while and getting a shot somewhere else.

15) (LW,C) Martin Pospisil - An unhinged shit disturber with a bit of a scoring touch. Strictly a 4th line ceiling but has a lot of gumption. Might get some games this year if healthy, Sutter likes the energy types.

16) (LD) Cameron Whynot - All around 2way dman that saw a massive improvement from his 16yearold season in junior. Don't know a ton about him yet but scouts seem to like him.

17) (G) Tyler Parsons - Injuries have unfortunately derailed Parsons career but still has some potential. Hopefully has a good season in Stockton.

18) (C) Ilya Nikolayev - 2 way Russian center prospect. Tough to get a read on but the tape on him is promising. Seems like a jack of all trades master of none.

19) (C) Rory Kerins - Respectable Junior numbers as yet another undersized intelligent forward.

20) (G) Daniil Chechelev - He plays goalie in the MHL and is a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad