Your Team's Top 10 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
It is extremely unrealistic if you actually expect a lot of them to become consistent top6/top4/starters in the NHL. Most prospects become depth players at the end of the day. Ottawa has a great prospect pool, but you're giving them a little bit too much in terms of potential for some of those guys. I mean, is there still hope for Logan Brown to become a 2c? What are the chances of Sokolov or Jarventie to become top line wingers?

Logan Brown has had the skill of a 2-3C ever since he was drafted, he just hasn't fully formed his pro game. Last year with us next year, but he is too good not to carve out an NHL career with whoever gives him a second chance, well, outside injuries.

Sokolov is a sleeper. Unprecedented character, and was the rookie goal scoring leader in the AHL North division. I might be a little high on him, but its because this guy has pretty much decided that he is going to be an NHLer. Never seen that before.

I guess Jarventie is the issue here, but he could be a 1W like Hoffman, 60pt-70pt career high, this guys shot and hockey sense are UNREAL. Trent Mann considers him our most skilled prospect, but I hope we round out his game more than Hoffman.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Thats a pretty egregious take.

Byfield= Zegras
Turcotte> Mctavish
Clarke<Drysdale

The top 3's are close and thats really impressive for you guys considering you guys haven't truly committed to a rebuild yet, but come on the depth of the Kings pool towers over the Ducks and I didn't even include Kaliyev or Vilardi as other blue chippers.

I 100% disagree with him and I think the Kings are ahead of the Ducks, but Kaliyev and Vilardi are nowhere near blue chips.
Also, that crazy depth is really only at forward, so he kind of is right about that.

Anyways, both teams have good pools and forsure both top 5.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kings definitely have the better prospect pool. Ducks have the 2 best prospects imo though, I think Z and Drysdale will both be better than Byfield but what do I know? Obviously I can see people thinking the other way too. Gonna be a fun rivalry.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Kings have 6 defensemen who are likely to reach the NHL, and that doesn't include Bjornfot and Anderson who already played top 4 NHL minutes as rookies.

Clarke
Faber
Grans
Spence
Nousiainen
Kirsanov

All project to make it to the NHL. Clague, Moverare and Strand in the AHL also have shots at sticking around. There isn't a team in the league that has that many options on the blueline, nor that many quality options.

Most teams have fewer NHL-likely prospects in total than the Kings have in just defenders.

Goalies, yeah, that is the only issue. Plenty of bodies, but none project as a starter.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Kings' prospect pool is incredible. And Jordan Spence is low-key one of my favourite defence prospects. LA is on the rise and I think they'll be contenders soon. I just bought a Kings ballcap (no lie).

But it is just not simply how prospect probability works that all these guys "project to make the NHL". They just don't. Everyone vastly overratess their own prospects and don't consider that very few prospects overall make the NHL, let alone become impact players.

Aside from Clarke, these guys are all 2nd rounders or later. Those kinds of picks become NHLers at around a 20% rate (and dwindling the later in the draft you go). I can definitely buy the argument that these guys were good picks and are more likely to hit than an average selection at their respective draft slots. But to say everyone projects to make the NHL is far from realistic.

With this group, I think there could be 3-4 NHLers, with 1-2 guys as "impact" players. That is already extremely good drafting.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
full

Here's how I see our top ten, including projected ceiling (not necessarily where they'll land):
  1. RD 1P Moritz Seider
  2. LW 1F Lucas Raymond
  3. GT 1G Sebastian Cossa
  4. LD 1P Simon Edvinsson
  5. LD 2P Albert Johansson
  6. LC 2F Joseph Veleno
  7. RW 2F Jonatan Berggren
  8. LD 2P William Wallinder
  9. LD 2P Shai Buium
  10. LC 3F Theodor Niederbach
HM: LD Jared McIsaac, who is hard to project due to time lost to injury.

*edit(s): 1D to 1P, 2C to 2F, etc.

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
full

Here's how I see our top ten, including projected ceiling (not necessarily where they'll land):
  1. RD 1D Moritz Seider
  2. LW 1W Lucas Raymond
  3. LD 1D Simon Edvinsson
  4. GT 1G Sebastian Cossa
  5. LD 2D Albert Johansson
  6. LC 2C Joseph Veleno
  7. RW 2W Jonatan Berggren
  8. LD 2D William Wallinder
  9. LD 2D Shai Buium
  10. LC 3C Theodor Niederbach
HM: LD Jared McIsaac, who is hard to project due of time lost to injury.
Pretty pretty good.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
With several promotions this year, our top 10 prospects is looking quite different:

1. Jake Sanderson 1-2D
2. Shane Pinto 1-2C
3. Egor Sokolov 1-3W
4. Mads Sogaard Elite-Backup G
5. Tyler Boucher 2-3W
6. Jacob Bernard-Docker top4D
7. Logan Brown 2-3C
8. Ridly Greig 2-3C
9. Filip Gustavsson Starter-Backup G
10. Roby Jarventie 1-3W

We got A LOT of honorable mentions too...
LOL this is everything wrong with HFboards value on prospects.

Last edited:

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
You could bump literally everyone down a slot in that projection and it would be more realistic. Logan Brown for example is a 2016 draft pick who has yet to establish himself as an NHLer and you think he has #2C upside..

Yeh, I've actually watched the guy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeh, I've actually watched the guy.
Watch him go on waivers and clear in about 2-3 months time. You're overrating him.

For fairness sake, this is also being too high on almost everyone:
  1. RD 1D Moritz Seider
  2. LW 1W Lucas Raymond
  3. LD 1D Simon Edvinsson
  4. GT 1G Sebastian Cossa
  5. LD 2D Albert Johansson
  6. LC 2C Joseph Veleno
  7. RW 2W Jonatan Berggren
  8. LD 2D William Wallinder
  9. LD 2D Shai Buium
  10. LC 3C Theodor Niederbach
HM: LD Jared McIsaac, who is hard to project due to time lost to injury.
Which I'm sure you can agree with, it's usually easier to see bias when it comes from other people.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thats a pretty egregious take.

Byfield= Zegras
Turcotte> Mctavish
Clarke<Drysdale

The top 3's are close and thats really impressive for you guys considering you guys haven't truly committed to a rebuild yet, but come on the depth of the Kings pool towers over the Ducks and I didn't even include Kaliyev or Vilardi as other blue chippers.

I go

Zegras > Byfield
McTavish > Turcotte
Drysdale > Clarke

I'd much rather have the Ducks top 3.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Watch him go on waivers and clear in about 2-3 months time. You're overrating him.

I'm not interested in catering to an uninformed opinion. Even if he goes on waivers, that's not a reflection of potential, but of value.

As far as your "example", I don't know enough about Red Wings players to make an ass out of myself, but maybe you don't know what ceiling means? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting "2D" as 2nd-line D, while the poster means "#2D"?

I am VERY willing to defend my ranking of each player. I know my stuff.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not interested in catering to an uninformed opinion. Even if he goes on waivers, that's not a reflection of potential, but of value.

As far as your "example", I don't know enough about Red Wings players to make an ass out of myself, but maybe you don't know what ceiling means? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting "2D" as 2nd-line D, while the poster means "#2D"?

I am VERY willing to defend my ranking of each player. I know my stuff.
Every team has 10-20 prospects that you could argue have top 6F/top 4D/#1G potential if you go by their perceived absolute ceiling. Hell Detroit might have 4 or 5 #1D prospects if we're just talking about what happens if they absolutely crush their development and maximize every bit of potential.

In Scott Wheeler's prospect pool ranking earlier this year, where Ottawa was 3rd in the league, this where he put some of those players ceilings:

Sanderson - #2D
Pinto - #2C
JBD - #4-5D

I'm sure you "know your stuff", but like everyone you're also going to be biased towards your own teams prospects.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Every team has 10-20 prospects that you could argue have top 6F/top 4D/#1G potential if you go by their perceived absolute ceiling. Hell Detroit might have 4 or 5 #1D prospects if we're just talking about what happens if they absolutely crush their development and maximize every bit of potential.

In Scott Wheeler's prospect pool ranking earlier this year, where Ottawa was 3rd in the league, this where he put some of those players ceilings:

Sanderson - #2D
Pinto - #2C
JBD - #4-5D

I'm sure you "know your stuff", but like everyone you're also going to be biased towards your own teams prospects.

Earlier this year, or October, 2020?

Seems a little out of date now, don't you think?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
For fairness sake, this is also being too high on almost everyone

You may be right. Like I said in my original post, those are ceilings. I really don't expect many of those guys to reach their ceiling, and perhaps someone blows the roof off. I think that if even half of them hit somewhere in those neighborhoods, I'd be stoked.
Or maybe I'm misinterpreting "2D" as 2nd-line D, while the poster means "#2D"?

You interpreted me correctly - I marked 2D for second pairing defenseman, 3C for third-line center, et cetera, but I should probably rethink how I display that information to avoid that confusion.

This is valid, but then every prospect has the potential to surprise. Development isn't necessarily linear. Some guys really do blow the roof off. I project Albert Johansson as a second pairing guy, but I wouldn't be shocked if he plays on a top pairing with someone like Moritz Seider one day.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
This might be the best prospect pool in the nhl. I’m sure some are close but I really like how it’s shaping up, I would have Thrun a little higher
Doesn't even include our high 2020 2nd round pick Sam Colangelo. Thats how deep our pool is lol

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Anaheim, Los Angeles, Detroit, and Ottawa are all going to be powerhouses in a few years. All teams are fantastic at drafting with high end core pieces and a surplus of really good prospects coming up. Battle of SoCal is gonna be awesome in the next few years with all this talent

Edit : Also could add NYR & Avs but I dont see the depth of high end prospects in addition to their core pieces like the teams stated above

Reactions: 405Entrance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad