Value of: Your Sniper Winger to NYI

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I can guarantee you they don't walk for nothing. Here are some "facts"

Pastrnak just destroyed his thumb... They were already looking for a scoring winger before that happened. Boston is in big time.

Winnipeg has been terrible lately, already a contender and already directly linked to stone and Duchene

Calgary, yesterday lebrun came out and said tjay they are going to be all in on stone. They see the opportunity and can acctually sign him.

Apparently you islanders are looking for someone

Vegas has lost 7 of their last 10 games.... They are looking to make a big splash

Nashville hasnt been great either and their supposed top scorers aren't scoring besides arvy... They want more scoring

Stone and Duchene both belong to Ottawa... Dorion can bounce the offers around since he has both assets.

Panarin isn't getting traded for anything that doesn't net Columbus an impact player back... Aka huberdeau... Or trading panarin to a team then flipping the return they got to Ottawa for Duchene or stone

Duchene and stone have been absolutely lighting it up lately... Check their logs.

There is a reason the market is paralyzed...every team and their uncle are waiting to see if we sign these guys or if they are available. They will get massive hauls. I guarantee it.

^This. But this is also why all those players + others are going to cost an arm, a leg, and a foot this year. Every one wants to get better, everyone has aspirations for a cup run.

Tkachukecheese

Feb 12, 2019
^This. But this is also why all those players + others are going to cost an arm, a leg, and a foot this year. Every one wants to get better, everyone has aspirations for a cup run.
Exactlyyyyyy. Brian effing Boyle got a second round pick and it's a buyers market? Like wake up.... I can't begin to express how irritating it is when people can't look at markets and form their own opinions. Bobby Mac is awesome but that comment he made has been taken so out of context and has changed so drastically that it hurts my eyes to read that quote these days...

Reactions: Dooble08

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Are you really going to say that because Bobby Mac said that "it might be shaping up to be a buyers market" three weeks ago? The market changes... Teams go on terrible runs which is what's happening right now with all of the teams who were thought to be big game hunting... Injuries etc...

With unexpected players like Hoffman being added to a glut of forwards available, I do not expect a sellers market.

Tkachukecheese

Feb 12, 2019
With unexpected players like Hoffman being added to a glut of forwards available, I do not expect a sellers market.
I thought Hoffman was thought to be going back to Columbus in a potential deal. I hate that we traded him for nothing.... Our gm is an idiot more often then not.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles need to add firepower in a bad way - an LW to play with Barzal would make a huge difference IMO. Prospects that are non-starters for rentals are Noah Dobson, Oliver Wahlstrom, Bode Wilde, and Ilya Sorokin. All other prospects are available (Bellows, Iskhakov, Soderstrom, etc) as well as the 2019 1st Rounder (at this time, we don't have a 2019 2nd, 3rd, or 4th that we can deal). Who's available at the deadline?

You can add Koivula and Aho to the prospects list. Isles have quite a few good young players in the system. Bellows is also one, and he needs more time.

But I think the Isles will be patient here. They have had a terrific year thus far, the Metro lead and possible playoffs is just gravy. They are playing with house money based on the lower expectations this year. No need to mortgage the future for an all in cup run this year.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Exactlyyyyyy. Brian effing Boyle got a second round pick and it's a buyers market? Like wake up.... I can't begin to express how irritating it is when people can't look at markets and form their own opinions. Bobby Mac is awesome but that comment he made has been taken so out of context and has changed so drastically that it hurts my eyes to read that quote these days...

I mean I get it in the end. Nobody wants to give anything up to get better. But that isn't how the business works. Just because us as fans don't value player A as a 1st round pick or a top quality prospect, doesn't mean the teams think that narrowly. Player's like Stone, Duchene, Panarin are going to return a kings ransom even though they are UFA's at the end of the season.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Isles need to add firepower in a bad way - an LW to play with Barzal would make a huge difference IMO. Prospects that are non-starters for rentals are Noah Dobson, Oliver Wahlstrom, Bode Wilde, and Ilya Sorokin. All other prospects are available (Bellows, Iskhakov, Soderstrom, etc) as well as the 2019 1st Rounder (at this time, we don't have a 2019 2nd, 3rd, or 4th that we can deal). Who's available at the deadline?
You have to give talent to get

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Not exactly a sniper but could see Marcus Johansson as a good set up man for Barzal. How about MoJo and Nashville’s 2nd for your 1st

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Also Columbus was almost out of a playoff spot when Bobby Mac said this... They are for sure going to make the playoffs I would think. The notion that he was alluding too was that if panarin stone and Duchene all became available that the price would be somewhat lower for each because of how skilled all three are. Buyers could say "well I can get panarin for this... So I want Stone for a little cheaper"

The narrative has changed drastically from when bobby Mac said this 3 weeks ago...
Go read the Columbus GMs comments.

He has indicated he will likely trade Panarin, but will also be buyer. He wants to keep his team in the play-off race,even with Panarin off the roster.

Reactions: Butchie91

Tkachukecheese

Feb 12, 2019
Go read the Columbus GMs comments.

He has indicated he will likely trade Panarin, but will also be buyer. He wants to keep his team in the play-off race,even with Panarin off the roster.
I read that too.. Lebrub just had an article in the athletic saying that even if they do trade him that whatever they get for him will likely go to Ottawa for Duchene. With Columbus keeping one asset they Recieved to make it "a win" for them.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
You can add Koivula and Aho to the prospects list. Isles have quite a few good young players in the system. Bellows is also one, and he needs more time.

But I think the Isles will be patient here. They have had a terrific year thus far, the Metro lead and possible playoffs is just gravy. They are playing with house money based on the lower expectations this year. No need to mortgage the future for an all in cup run this year.

I started rooting for the islanders in the 92'-93' season so by all means, lets pace ourselves here....At what point do we think we are challengers for the Cup? Currently 1st in the division with the least amount of goals given up in the NHL. We have one glaring need...A winger/center with real scoring touch. Can we get it done for once please and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle one time before they put me in the ground. Forgive me for not caring if we give up one of our many prospects that are SUPPOSED to be good for a player that already produces in the NHL. Thanks

Reactions: Jester9881

IsleNmetFan4Life

Feb 16, 2012
The Isles will likely only make a move for an expiring contract if it costs less than a 2nd rounder, or involves one of their lesser prospects. The only exception would be if it's a higher level winger that has term and wouldn't disrupt the current team's chemistry. With that said, does such a player exist? Hoffman is the one that's mentioned and I don't think he'd seamlessly fit into the locker room, especially if NHL assets are going the other way. Coyle? Granlund? Toffoli? Either way, the bigger need is on the left side and the only names that even kinda sorta make sense are pending UFAs like Dzingel, Johansson, Wilson, and Nyquist, and I'm not sure they'd be affordable or enough of an impact. I really think the Isles just stand pat, and I'm okay with that. The window to a championship truly begins at the draft and in the summer, despite this year's success so far - by that I mean, the window where Lou should start buying rentals, trading top picks and players, etc begins next year. I truly believe the Isles could get through a round or two this year with the right matchups.

Reactions: IODCPiper

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I started rooting for the islanders in the 92'-93' season so by all means, lets pace ourselves here....At what point do we think we are challengers for the Cup? Currently 1st in the division with the least amount of goals given up in the NHL. We have one glaring need...A winger/center with real scoring touch. Can we get it done for once please and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle one time before they put me in the ground. Forgive me for not caring if we give up one of our many prospects that are SUPPOSED to be good for a player that already produces in the NHL. Thanks

I still think you need to keep the future in mind with an eye on this season and weigh the cost benefit analysis of giving up the future. I am not sure the Isles are at the point of one player putting them over the top. They are likely not going to trade Eberle or Lee as expiring UFA's, which in my mind is the right thing to do. This team has earned an addition for the playoffs. The players that got them there deserve as much. If you ask me, I would be more apt to a cheaper rental, like a Kovy, Chances are you would not have to give up one of your top prospects for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad