Boston Bruins Your roster changes / proposals XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
absolute nonsense. Smith is one of the best contracts in the NHL. Lauzon is a promising, but currently flawed D. He was our worst active defenseman down the stretch. Some of that was due to injury, but it would be asinine to give up a tremendous value like Smith to keep a borderline NHL D.

I don’t think it’s nonsense. Smith is a soon to be 32 year old 3rd liner, I think he has value but I wouldn’t call it tremendous value. I like Smith as a player but I will not be surprised if Lauzon shows to be a more valuable piece before the end of next season. I don’t think Lauzon is going to be a first pair stud defensemen, but I do think he will be a very good second pair guy and he’s only 24. I think he will surpass Smith and DeBrusk in terms of value very shortly.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
The Lauzon talk is basically reaffirming why I think that article is throwing crap at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

For starters, I agree with the Bruins protected list for the Seattle expansion draft. I understand the Gryz is undersized, but in my opinion he’s a better player than Lauzon.

I understand that the Bruins may want him back, but where does Lauzon play? Does he play on the right side bottom pair? Because if it’s not the right side than someone on the left is either sitting or in a potential deal.

They didn’t just commit to Forbort and Reilly for 3x3 to move them, or have them ride the pine with Moore ($5.75 cap hit in the press box). So is Gryz part of a potential trade?

I just find the whole thing strange, I feel like Forbort is Lauzon’s replacement. Just doesn’t add up in any way IMO.

I think you start Lauzon on the 3rd pair right side. We should know better than most teams that defensemen get injured, Lauzon’s ability to play either side gives you flexibility. He has a low cap hit and is obviously familiar here. It makes sense to me, I hope that it happens.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Lauzon and Forbort are the same player essentially. Don’t need both. Also laughable people here doing all they can to throw Gryz away. He’s our #1 LD for the foreseeable future, now should he be slotted there? Likely no, but you can bet he’s not a player the Bruins move.

I would not get rid of Gryz.

If there were some crazy, not too crazy way to retrieve Jeremy, I certainly would. You can never have enough size, strength or grit on the back end. I believe Lauzon is just 24.

At present the B's D is subpar, at best. It is barely NHL level, despite having Carlo, Gryz, and Charlie. Forbort is fine -- fine -- but they need much more than what they have at present.

So, you have the newly created problem on defense. You think you've solved 2LW with Hall. You lose David, and you talk about second line "by committee." How did that work all those years under Sweeney at 2LW?

On the bright side, third and fourth line overhauls are encouraging and intriguing.

Finally, Sweeney better not do to the second line what he did with Jack and the D last year: Throw some kids out there and hope for the best.

That is not a plan that inspires confidence.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
What?

I like Craig Smith and always have. In fact, he would have been my fourth forward if to wasn't for Coyle's pesky disqualifying contract clauses.

But what exaggeration!

One of the best contracts in the NHL? He doesn't have one of the best contracts on the Boston Bruins! He's ideally a third line forward - Sweeney just signed two of those a week ago.

Lauzon is a borderline NHL defenceman? The same guy who effectively played on the top pair for significant time this season?

I think we can agree that Jeremy Lauzon is not a top pairing defenseman at present. Ideally, on a much deeper club, he would be a third pairing player.

The Bruins are not a deep club.

Lauzon may well prove a top pair D going forward. IF you could somehow swap out Smith in return for Lauzon, I'm not sure I would do it. It's apples and oranges, I know, but I really like what Craig Smith brings.

In the event, again, they had better not simply throw kids and "second line by committee" out there, hoping for the best.

Crap management.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What?

I like Craig Smith and always have. In fact, he would have been my fourth forward if to wasn't for Coyle's pesky disqualifying contract clauses.

But what exaggeration!

One of the best contracts in the NHL? He doesn't have one of the best contracts on the Boston Bruins! He's ideally a third line forward - Sweeney just signed two of those a week ago.

Lauzon is a borderline NHL defenceman? The same guy who effectively played on the top pair for significant time this season?
I concede that I overstated Smith's value, but still think he unquestionably has more value than Lauzon.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The Lauzon talk is basically reaffirming why I think that article is throwing crap at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

For starters, I agree with the Bruins protected list for the Seattle expansion draft. I understand the Gryz is undersized, but in my opinion he’s a better player than Lauzon.

I understand that the Bruins may want him back, but where does Lauzon play? Does he play on the right side bottom pair? Because if it’s not the right side than someone on the left is either sitting or in a potential deal.

They didn’t just commit to Forbort and Reilly for 3x3 to move them, or have them ride the pine with Moore ($5.75 cap hit in the press box). So is Gryz part of a potential trade?

I just find the whole thing strange, I feel like Forbort is Lauzon’s replacement. Just doesn’t add up in any way IMO.

And you know what? From the baffling 2015 three in a row picks; to the major free agency whiffs at great cost (first rounders here, get your first rounders); to abandoning team toughness and physicality up and down the line up; to what Neely actually does all day; to their bottom line philosophy and plan...

The whole thing has ALWAYS been strange. None of it has added up, ever.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
And you know what? From the baffling 2015 three in a row picks; to the major free agency whiffs at great cost (first rounders here, get your first rounders); to abandoning team toughness and physicality up and down the line up; to what Neely actually does all day; to their bottom line philosophy and plan...

The whole thing has ALWAYS been strange. None of it has added up, ever.

Agreed. Only Buffalo and maybe Arizona is in worse shape. Embarassing franchise top to bottom. /s

Reactions: GordonHowe

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I don't know ....we've had a hell of a team for a long long time ...ask Toronto fanatics ...sure we only won ONE cup and were close at TWO others...this team on paper right now might seem like misfits but I'm one for giving it a chance then making changes on the fly based on need...roll the dice baby and hope like hell

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I haven't seen anyone mention Eric Staal to take Krejci's place. His salary is 3.25M for one more year. Granted he's 36, but he could still contribute, especially setting up in front of the net with Hall and Smith as his wings.

Thought of that too....good fall back option if it all goes south. At some point we need to see what Jack is or isn't

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I know everyone on this board talks about packing Debrusk and Gryz for a better dman or 2C, and the writing is on the wall for Jake. But has there been any truth to Gryz even being available?

Reactions: PlayMakers

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I would have tempted them to take DeBrusk or Craig Smith while protecting Lauzon.

Losing Smith would sting for a few moments but he is more 3rd line winger than anything and 31. I also would not have minded the Bruins tempting Seattle with Smith.

It also would have driven urgency from Sweeney and added more cap space if Seattle selected Smith.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
This storied franchise should never be pulling at straws and that's exactly what we are doing.

It's embarrassing.

We are a contender. We have a player's coach. We have one of the most highly respected Captains in the league. We have one of the best pure goal scorers in the league. The LD we are missing has a chance to play with a young killer like McAvoy. The 2nd line C we need gets to play with a former MVP.

This is ridiculous.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This storied franchise should never be pulling at straws and that's exactly what we are doing. It's embarrassing. We are a contender. We have a player's coach. We have one of the most highly respected Captains in the league. We have one of the best pure goal scorers in the league. The LD we are missing has a chance to play with a young killer like McAvoy. The 2nd line C we need gets to play with a former MVP.
This is ridiculous.
Succinct and to the point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad