Speculation: Your post combine pick at 5th OV.

5 OV?

• Zach Benson

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Dalibor Dvorsky

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Ryan Leonard

Votes: 60 20.8%
  • David Reinbacher

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Will Smith

Votes: 143 49.7%
  • Matthew Wood

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
HF Habs pre-draft copium be like

View attachment 717320

Is it really copium though?

A. Would you rather try to date a supermodel celebrity and *think* she would reciprocate so you end up sad/mad/confused/etc in the end when she doesn't reciprocate at all and/or gets a restraining order against you?

OR

B. Would you rather be realistic with yourself and pick someone in your league, who is maybe not as attractive but is more down to earth, great personality, and who you at least have a chance with?

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
All in for Leonard at 5. I think we are aiming for a special winger there. I heard a comparison with Filjp Forsberg (for what its worth) that makes a lot of sense

Dubois - Suzuki - Caufield
Slaf - Dach - Leonard

big time Playoff top 6.
Lmao, a dud,3 with no playoff experience at all and Caufield and Suzuki, how you can say that with a straight face is beyond me.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Good evening gentlemen,

I'd like to share my ill informed opinion

I WANT OFFENSE! I'm in the please not Reinbacher clan .I have watched a lot of people sing his praise over the last 6-8 weeks and I'll defer to most of you if it is warranted or not but I'm not personally convinced he has 1stD or even 2D upside.

I don't want to walk out of this year's draft with a top 4D and a maybe goalie at 31st.

Michkov is the dream, we haven't had a PPG player to watch on a daily basis since forever. We are due for a superstar in Montreal. Imagine having a Buré, Fedorov, Kucherov(I know f*** that guy but eh) or the next big thing to cheer on for 82 games a year...

I expect disappointment at the draft, but in hindsight I was mad about the Slaf pick last year and it might have been the savvy pick, future will tell. I expect this management to pick Dvorsky at 5....so yeah....

I'm ok with Will Smith, Leonard, Dvorsky at this position, if the top 4 is gone by then and I expect it will.

Leo Carlsson is not a consolation prize, he would be a f***ing homerun but I'm too cynical to believe in that possibility. That would be our Elias Pettersson at 5th pick type thing....

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Good evening gentlemen,

I'd like to share my ill informed opinion

I WANT OFFENSE! I'm in the please not Reinbacher clan .I have watched a lot of people sing his praise over the last 6-8 weeks and I'll defer to most of you if it is warranted or not but I'm not personally convinced he has 1stD or even 2D upside.

I don't want to walk out of this year's draft with a top 4D and a maybe goalie at 31st.

Michkov is the dream, we haven't had a PPG player to watch on a daily basis since forever. We are due for a superstar in Montreal. Imagine having a Buré, Fedorov, Kucherov(I know f*** that guy but eh) or the next big thing to cheer on for 82 games a year...

I expect disappointment at the draft, but in hindsight I was mad about the Slaf pick last year and it might have been the savvy pick, future will tell. I expect this management to pick Dvorsky at 5....so yeah....

I'm ok with Will Smith, Leonard, Dvorsky at this position, if the top 4 is gone by then and I expect it will.

Leo Carlsson is not a consolation prize, he would be a f***ing homerun but I'm too cynical to believe in that possibility. That would be our Elias Pettersson at 5th pick type thing....

Carlsson is as possible at 5th as Smith or Michkov are. Take out Bedard and Fantilli, because they are 100% going 1-2 at the draft. That leaves these three players and we pick 5th. We can have one of Smith! Carlsson! or Michkov! All three are potential game breakers.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's fair.

Benson would be a good pick.

My concern about him (and I'm not an expert) as I've only really seen his highlights, not games, is I've heard his shot is good not great, skating good not great... and then you factor in the size, and his motor is insane but that gives me PTSD and makes me think of Gallagher when you combine that motor+size.

He excels at hockey IQ and playmaking if I recall, right?

Come on man..

We're still in the honeymoon phase with HuGo...

We're still in the 'Blame-The-Former-GM' phase.
Did not mean my comment that way. Hughes had to know what his callups were capable of. He could have chosen to give opportunities to lesser sorts.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Did not mean my comment that way. Hughes had to know what his callups were capable of. He could have chosen to give opportunities to lesser sorts.

Yeah I mean, I'm joking too, but, could he really have known the AHLer's would be as good and clutch as they were?

I don't think anyone could really have guessed that, tbh.

We may yet have an opportunity to draft Musty with the Florida pick.

I regret to inform you the 17th pick will now be 31st OA.

We're gonna pick up some nice table scraps at 31 and 37.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

A. Would you rather try to date a supermodel celebrity and *think* she would reciprocate so you end up sad/mad/confused/etc in the end when she doesn't reciprocate at all and/or gets a restraining order against you?

OR

B. Would you rather be realistic with yourself and pick someone in your league, who is maybe not as attractive but is more down to earth, great personality, and who you at least have a chance with?
I'd go with option A and learn to be the best stay-at-home husband out there:naughty:
Untitled.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I mean, I'm joking too, but, could he really have known the AHLer's would be as good and clutch as they were?

I don't think anyone could really have guessed that, tbh.
some nice table scraps at 31 and 37.
There are some milquetoasts in Laval who were not playing like RHP. The latter as a go-all-out kind of player was much more likely to be impactful. But hey, hindsight I guess.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
They are. There are still some that want to bring Drouin back.
🤣 good one ☝️

Cool, in a conversation about Mitchkov, Putin and the war, you bring Drouin . Can i use your argument when i want to have the last word in a conversation with my friends or with my family?

Reactions: Habs13

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I regret to inform you the 17th pick will now be 31st OA.

We're gonna pick up some nice table scraps at 31 and 37.
Who says we stay stapled at 31? Even if we do, if we can draft any of Molendyk, Rehkopf, Terrance or Pitre using our 31 and 37 picks, we will have a strong draft regardless of who we pick at 5 OA. Table scraps, not withstanding.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I like how the majority of votes here are for a guy that most likely won't even be an option lol.
Moore?

OR

I imagine this is my wife’s internal dialogue…… fyi, she chose a bust :(

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Any of Smith, Leonard or Reinbacher and we secure another core piece for the future. Let’s not overthink this and try to be the smartest guy in the room.
If Smith is gone which of Reinbacher or Leonard has the most growth potential i.e. make the greatest strides in the next couple of seasons. There is definitely a case to be made for either of them. I'm always leery when one kid sticks out on a team because the rest of them are pretty bad. I think it's Andrei Kostitsyns fault. :skeptic:

Reactions: ReHabs

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
15-16 more days until June 28!!!! (wish it was sooner!!).

Easy prediction!?:
1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Carlsson/Smith/Michkov
4. Smith/Carlsson/Michkov
5. Michkov/Smith/Carlsson

6 to 10 (Leonard, Benson, Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Wood or Barclow )

Last edited:
Reactions: Kennerback

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I hate that with such a high pick we still need to hope that the weakest link, galaxies it before our pick. And that won’t be the Ducks (especially not with Martin Madden as assistant GM), nor Jarmo.

It all hinges on rookie GM Mike Grier who has less than one year at the position.
The harsh nature of tanking

Its a lot of work and boredom for the reward you get
when you don't have the luck to get the big prices.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That's...a pretty bad analogy.

I'd say it's more like Michkov is a $100M diamond that you buy knowing it'll be shipped in 3 years, and there's a small chance the ship sinks on the way over here.

Other prospects are like $75M diamonds that you'll be watching get cut for a couple years and probably have them here one year earlier.
Would you rather have a 100% chance of Clayton Keller or a 75% chance of Kirill Kaprizov with a 25% chance of nothing. Is how I think the scouts look at it. And truthfully phrased that way, nothing wrong with guaranteeing an 80 point player to your roster with the risk of losing out on a 110 point player.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Would you rather have a 100% chance of Clayton Keller or a 75% chance of Kirill Kaprizov with a 25% chance of nothing. Is how I think the scouts look at it. And truthfully phrased that way, nothing wrong with guaranteeing an 80 point player to your roster with the risk of losing out on a 110 point player.

On fait pas d'omelettes sans casser des oeufs, tabarnaque

You don't win big without taking any risks.

And 25%? What is that based on? It can't be from the 100% rate of actual russian top draftees who have come over?

Holy shit am I tired of people playing it safe and acting like the team is like their pension fund. I want to have fun, be entertained. Not feel like I should go over this with both my accountant and Notary.

I jest

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

And 25%? What is that based on? It can't be from the 100% rate of actual russian top draftees who have come over?

Holy shit am I tired of people playing it safe and acting like the team is like their pension fund. I want to have fun, be entertained. Not feel like I should go over this with both my accountant and Notary.

I jest
I'll be excited as heck if we draft Michkov. I honestly think Hughes is just holding his cards close to his chest on this one and if hes there at 5 we grab him. Just saying I understand the reasoning/analogy. Well both analogies, lol.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yeah gimme Kaprizov tbh. Especially a Kaprizov who will still be on an ELC for two (I believe) years, possibly walking in as one of the best wingers in the game.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON

I jest
You're correct in your assessment. I've opined many times on here that Gorton and Hughes have the hallmarks of high-calibre, professional managers. To get to those positions you cannot avoid risk and you cannot walk into risk with wreckless abandon. Instead you learn techniques to manage and mitigate risks. There's evidence throughout their decision making and prior experience that both of these gentlemen take calculated risk, and even some evidence they will hedge their risks with secondary moves (i.e. pass on Wright, but mitigate the risk of missing out on a high-caliber center by acquiring Dach).

If they decide to pass on Michkov it's because they've assessed his talent is not worthy of 5th overall or there is some sort of risk involved that cannot be managed or mitigated. I don't think the Russia geopolitical conerns are real, there's too many examples of players coming over, players even breaking contracts early, and the financial incentive to come to NA is too large compared to KHL. If there's a risk that can't be effectively mitigated it likely would have to be character issues or something similar I'd think.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad