Speculation: Your post combine pick at 5th OV.

5 OV?

• Zach Benson

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Dalibor Dvorsky

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Ryan Leonard

Votes: 60 20.8%
  • David Reinbacher

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Will Smith

Votes: 143 49.7%
  • Matthew Wood

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It’s fine we can always tank and give up another whole season to be in a position to draft a single PPG player. What’s the problem?
How has the two teams in the final right now have acquired their PPG stars ?

Its not just about tanking.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

It’s not just about tanking.
Montreal does have a taxe disadvantage though… so it’s probably harder to get players. Although they seem to be doing a good job to create interest but it’s not that clear it works yet either and to what point it works.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Montreal does have a taxe disadvantage though… so it’s probably harder to get players. Although they seem to be doing a good job to create interest but it’s not that clear it works yet either and to what point it works.
The reality of the matter remains, John Tavares is the only 1st line talent to ever sign as UFA or waive trade clause to join a CDN team in the cap era.

Reactions: NORiculous

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The reality of the matter remains, John Tavares is the only 1st line talent to ever sign as UFA or waive trade clause to join a CDN team in the cap era.
Chris Pronger singed in EDM and was a first pair D. That count?

I think they need to fix the taxes issue in how the cap works but they would help the CDN teams… so Bettman probably doesn’t want that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have a feeling they really like Leonard... above average skater , good shot , gritty, physically strong , tons of heart with a motor that never stops . Definitely the best forechecker in the draft. If it's not michkov I m thinking it will be Leonard at 5
I like Leonard. Plus guys like him let's us carry another smaller finesse player

Reactions: Expos94

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
After the combine, my position on the matter didn’t change at all.

Michkov should be the pick if he’s there, if they decide to go an other route, It will be a mistake in my book. Doesn’t mean the player they will draft is bad or devoid of talent, and I’m certainly open to revisit my take in 5 years and admit if I’m wrong.

The rest of my ranking is the same, they should pick any of the top 4 if they fall. If none do and Smith is there, he should be the pick but I could understand they entertain picking someone else.

I have Reinbacher 6th and Leonard 7th.

Reinbacher’s ceiling and floor are both more valuable than Leonard’s. Reinbacher will play 20 min a night and be at worst a 3rd/4th defensemen.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
To be clear, I love Ryan Leonard.

He’s got high motor, battles on the board, go in dangerous areas and shows heart on the ice. I’m not extremely high on his shooting arsenal, but it’s from average to above average and if you mix that with his good hands and understanding of the game, he’s got potential.

But don’t buy that Tkachuk brothers comparisons, he’s not the same type of player.

He seems to be the flavour of the moment, and he’s clearly a good kid. I’m not surprised he did well in interviews as he’s pretty smart and well articulated. Leonard is the type of player that makes a whole line work because he’s the missing cog and if he reaches his ceiling, we will all love him but I’m not expecting crazy production on his part.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
I have no idea why the Habs brass don't seem to like Benson (or at least nobody from the media is talking about him).

Consistently hitting top5-6 lists across many scouting boards. I know he's small, but he's exactly the type of player that would thrive in HuGo's vision and under MSL.

Just today, Anthony Martineau also put him at 6th overall right after Smith. Also on Dobber's prospects and EP's lists at 5th overall (on top of Smith).

I still prefer Smith, but I'd much prefer Benson over both Reinbacher and Leonard.

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
I would be very suprised if Montreal drafted Michkov. Suprise me, Kent!!

Assuming Carlsson and Smith are gone at 5th, I hope they draft Benson. I know he's small but the skill is undeniable so draft him now and figure out how he will fit in the lineup later.

Ranger12

Jul 29, 2021
To all those freaking out about possibly skipping over Michkov, how many of you have seen enough of him in the last 12 months to be so sure that he is the slam dunk best choice at 5? From what I've read even professional scouts weren't able to do that except for some minimal video clips.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It’s fine we can always tank and give up another whole season to be in a position to draft a single PPG player. What’s the problem?
At least Vegas had a plan and let the fans know what it was when they came into existence. What is the plan here anyways ?

Reactions: ReHabs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
An harsh reality we can't ignore.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you are actually honest, its actually VERY easy to explain it because it likely wont need to be answered

Fans in general are stupid and loyal. We keep coming back.

So just like Tkachuk who is a 100 point player passed 5 times, what team is explaining it?
Youre not wrong. Stupid and loyal.

So whats the scare? Pick Michkov and if he never comes just lay on Caufield and Suzuki.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Got a feeling ducks could target michkov.

With him off the board before us I’d feel much better TBH with all this talk.

But I’d like smith!

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
If Ryan Leonard is available and Montreal doesn't take him, it will biggest regret they will have since they missed out on Brady Tkachuk.

These are the exact types of players you need to be successful with in the playoffs.

We also know now that Leonard is basically 6ft so there is no concerns about size.

He will be a BEAST once he adds size to his already stout frame.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

Its not just about tanking.
If the Hughes Habs were just as aggressive and reluctant to lose as the Vegas Golden Knights, I wouldn’t have any issue.

Florida was built aggressively but traditionally — do we have a Barkov or Ekblad? —but they acquired Tkachuk by trading another PPG players.

So let’s get the PPG players first no?

He’s also built like an absolute unit. At 17
We need hockey players, this isn’t Mr Olympia.

Some of you people would’ve skipped over Patrick Kane without a second thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad