Votes: 48 16.3%

Votes: 35 11.9%

Votes: 43 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You know what at some point it is that ****ing simple.

Just like at some point your goalie needs to make a ****ing save and stop making excuses. Make. A. Damn. Save. Your team needs it.

Well it's the same with GMs. Just get it right. I don't care how, just DO IT.

Losers always have an excuse, winners just shut up and get it done.

He was brought here to be BETTER and much smarter than the idiots we had already here. If he was just going to go along and agree with their dumb asses, he should have just stayed in Boston.

Get a DAMN win for this franchise. That's your job as a GM. McDavid is doing his job. It's not too much to ask to at least have gotten that pick right. He could've have his thumb up his ass for the 3 following years if he could have just said these five words at the 2015 draft: "No Bob, that's a bad idea".

really then? chia sure as s*** got it done last year. no excuses. stop making excuses for the greatness of the 2016-17 oilers assembled by chia. it's that f****** simple.

nj was pretty much the worst team in the league in 16-17... no excuses right? hall and shero sure as s*** didn't get it done. just get it done right? no excuses.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
really then? chia sure as s*** got it done last year. no excuses. stop making excuses for the greatness of the 2016-17 oilers assembled by chia. it's that f****** simple.

nj was pretty much the worst team in the league in 16-17... no excuses right? hall and shero sure as s*** didn't get it done. just get it done right? no excuses.

He is not getting it done here period. 70% of his moves are bad. In 2015 he was gifted a GOLDEN opportunity to set this franchise up for probably 10-15 years and he couldn't find it within himself to be smarter than Bob Greene, Mac T, etc.

I'm not impressed with one OK season where they rode Talbot into the ground. Talbot is not a Hasek-tier franchise goalie, his collapse and the Oilers with him is not that surprising.

Talbot is not even Kipprsuoff (THAT was a franchise altering gamble from Sutter that changed the trajectory of the Flames franchise without question).

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
He is not getting it done here period. 70% of his moves are bad. In 2015 he was gifted a GOLDEN opportunity to set this franchise up for probably 10-15 years and he couldn't find it within himself to be smarter than Bob Greene, Mac T, etc.

I'm not impressed with one OK season where they rode Talbot into the ground. Talbot is not a Hasek-tier franchise goalie, his collapse and the Oilers with is not that surprising.

not ok with one "ok" season??? then you go and speak of the amazing glories of nj squeaking into the playoffs this year riding kinkaid into the ground and getting dusted off like cookie crumbs in the first round. i guess nj's season was far less than ok... yet somehow people are speaking as if they are "legit".

hey, oil won and won and won in 16/17... no excuses am i right? nj sucked hard that same year. what happened to no excuses?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
not ok with one "ok" season??? then you go and speak of the amazing glories of nj squeaking into the playoffs this year riding kinkaid into the ground and getting dusted off like cookie crumbs in the first round. i guess nj's season was far less than ok... yet somehow people are speaking as if they are "legit".

hey, oil won and won and won in 16/17... no excuses am i right? nj sucked hard that same year. what happened to no excuses?

Every good or great franchise has moments where fate hangs in the balance ... where opportunity knocks and something falls into your lap and it takes an intelligent person in the front office to recognize what is happening and take advantage.

EVERY GREAT TEAM is built like this. It's not on the ice. It's these moments, where someone in your front office makes a fateful decision ... that is more often than not what does it.

Like for example being able to walk out of a draft with a Connor McDavid AND Matt Barzal or Matt Connor (who the Jets scooped up immediately after our pick). That is the hockey gods giving you a gift.

This franchise does nothing but make excuses for why they couldn't do that. Nobody feels sorry for you or buys your excuses, take them to the main board and see how long it takes to get laughed off there.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid and Talbot got them there, plain and simple.

Without Talbot playing at a Vezina tier, they are a bottom team again even with the Art Ross scoring champion.

Remove McDavid for any length of time from this team and they probably are legit the worst team in the league, worse than Arizona and Buffalo.

They have the best player in the world and going into his 4th season they have iffy odds at being even one of the 50% decent teams in the league. That is shameful.

Chiarelli is a fraud and is worse than Kevin Lowe.

Sorry in advance, but this post is straight up stupid. This isnt the NBA where one forward can greatly affect winning, and its safe to say all goalies are a big part of thier teams success.

Chiarelli got Talbot... Unless you buy into the Pejorative Slured Sather was doing us a favor theroy... To which you have to offset that by admitting Reinhart wasn't his move. Can't have it both ways. Blamed for bad, no credit for good.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
point is, things can again turn 180. nj's players that did well this year can really fall back just as some of oilers players did so this year. and those players that fell back here can snap out of it and have good seasons. it's just ridiculous to be so set in your sour mind about the team and gm after ONE bad season following a very good season. sure be a bit upset but ffs calm the f*** down with the bs drama about how s***** the organization and gm is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sorry in advance, but this post is straight up stupid. This isnt the NBA where one forward can greatly affect winning and all goalies are a big part of thier teams success.

Chiarelli got Talbot... Unless you buy into the ******ed Sather was doing us a favor theroy... To which you have to offset that by admitting Reinhart wasn't his move. Can't have it both ways. Blamed for bad, no credit for good.

The problem with Talbot is he's not a consistent franchise goalie.

He's a "hot one season, not so hot the other season ... or two" type guy. He's not a "put a franchise on my shoulders and I will carry them" type guy IMO.

And I like Cam. But a Hasek or Kipprusoff even, he ain't.

That is why the Oilers 16-17 was highly suspect of being a flash in the pan. He carried that team for sure, co-MVP, no doubt. But capable of doing that every year, year in, year out?

That's where that particular train starts to come off the tracks.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Every good or great franchise has moments where fate hangs in the balance ... where opportunity knocks and something falls into your lap and it takes an intelligent person in the front office to recognize what is happening and take advantage.

EVERY GREAT TEAM is built like this. It's not on the ice. It's these moments, where someone in your front office makes a fateful decision ... that is more often than not what does it.

Like for example being able to walk out of a draft with a Connor McDavid AND Matt Barzal or Matt Connor (who the Jets scooped up immediately after our pick). That is the hockey gods giving you a gift.

This franchise does nothing but make excuses for why they couldn't do that. Nobody feels sorry for you or buys your excuses, take them to the main board and see how long it takes to get laughed off there.

again, you assume barzal and connor would have been able to develop as well here as they did on their respective teams. heck they might not have developed like that on most teams. development is more precarious for a lot of players than people know. who knows, hemsky may not have developed as well as he did here on 2/3 of the other teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
point is, things can again turn 180. nj's players that did well this year can really fall back just as some of oilers players did so this year. and those players that fell back here can snap out of it and have good seasons. it's just ridiculous to be so set in your sour mind about the team and gm after ONE bad season following a very good season. sure be a bit upset but ffs calm the f*** down with the bs drama about how s***** the organization and gm is.

The organization is shit and the GM is as of right now a failure.

If 50 things need to go right for you all the time to be a good team -- guess what? You're not a good team. You're a bad team hoping the stars align for you to be good.

The NHL is not about how good you are when everything is perfectly ideal. It's about "well your no.1 or no.2 D is hurt for next 15 games ... now what you got? You gonna cry and shut down shop?".

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

He's a "hot one season, not so hot the other season ... or two" type guy. He's not a "put a franchise on my shoulders and I will carry them" type guy IMO.

That is why the Oilers 16-17 was highly suspect of being a flash in the pan. He carried that team for sure, co-MVP, no doubt. But capable of doing that every year, year in, year out?

no, the mvps were connor and the general defensive play in front of talbot. outstanding work by russell, sekera, larsson and even klef to a certain degree. along with disciplined team defence and hard backchecking by the fwds.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
no, the mvps were connor and the general defensive play in front of talbot. outstanding work by russell, sekera, larsson and even klef to a certain degree. along with disciplined team defence and hard backchecking by the fwds.

Anyone who honestly watched that team could see plain as day they were being bailed out by Talbot constantly.

Even in the playoffs, there were ridiculous blown coverages like Larsson and Klefbom BOTH playing the left side of the ice leaving the Ducks to win in OT with a wide open player on the right side.

This D was plenty stupid, yes, even in 16-17. The main difference in Cam bailed them out plenty of times in 16-17.

They are nothing special as a D group, they are not even one of the 4 best D groups in their own division.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The organization is **** and the GM is as of right now a failure.

If 50 things need to go right for you all the time to be a good team -- guess what? You're not a good team. You're a bad team hoping the stars align for you to be good.

The NHL is not about how good you are when everything is perfectly ideal. It's about "well your no.1 or no.2 D is hurt for next 15 games ... now what you got? You gonna cry and shut down shop?".

yup, he's failing as of now. sure as heck wasn't failing last year. my point is maybe let's see what transpires next year, the year after etc before we lose our s***. you're going overly nuts and you might have to eat some serious crow in half a year's time...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
yup, he's failing as of now. sure as heck wasn't failing last year. my point is maybe let's see what transpires next year, the year after etc before we lose our s***. you're going overly nuts and you might have to eat some serious crow in half a year's time...

We shouldn't be in this position to begin with. And to suck this bad with the Art Ross trophy winner and best player in the world ... is a special brand of suck, even by Oiler standards.

To still suck with such a player on your team really almost requires effort. You have to actively try to suck.

This franchise is going nowhere with this GM, he does not have the intelligence or vision to get the job done and they will never win a Cup under him or make the Finals under him.

The best they will be is Islanders West and maybe make the playoffs (hurrah! Mission Accomplished!!! Plan the parade!) now and again.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Anyone who honestly watched that team could see plain as day they were being bailed out by Talbot constantly.

Even in the playoffs, there were ridiculous blown coverages like Larsson and Klefbom BOTH playing the left side of the ice leaving the Ducks to win in OT with a wide open player on the right side.

This D was plenty stupid, yes, even in 16-17. The main difference in Cam bailed them out plenty of times in 16-17.

They are nothing special as a D group, they are not even one of the 4 best D groups in their own division.

wrong. i can promise you talbot's job was much easier in 16-17. he even said as much in interviews that year. d played disciplined and talbot knew exactly where to be. too much guessing for him in 17-18.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
We shouldn't be in this position to begin with. And to suck this bad with the Art Ross trophy winner and best player in the world ... is a special brand of suck, even by Oiler standards.

To still suck with such a player on your team really almost requires effort. You have to actively try to suck.

This franchise is going nowhere with this GM, he does not have the intelligence or vision to get the job done and they will never win a Cup under him or make the Finals under him.

The best they will be is Islanders West and maybe make the playoffs (hurrah! Mission Accomplished!!! Plan the parade!) now and again.

progression isn't always linear... especially in today's nhl. ask yzerman. even the jets etc etc

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
wrong. i can promise you talbot's job was much easier in 16-17. he even said as much in interviews that year. d played disciplined and talbot knew exactly where to be. too much guessing for him in 17-18.

They're nothing special as a defensive group period, if you're being honest there are easily 4 or 5 better d-groups in the Oilers own division, let alone the league.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
progression isn't always linear... especially in today's nhl. ask yzerman. even the jets etc etc

Or ask the Islanders, who the Oilers could just as easily be the second coming of. When this franchise leaves things up to "well maybe things will turn out swell for us" ... they usually don't.

Call me when this franchise has someone in charge who actively is getting wins at a management level for the team rather than sitting and praying for "good luck!" to shine on his ass.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I agree with your assessment of Cam however something you seem to be missing is...

Cam wasn't just not great like Hasek or Kipper, he sucked balls. Big hairy balls. Talking couldn't stop a beachball level bad to start the first half of the season.

The Oilers dont need Vesna level Talbot to make the playoffs they need league average goaltending at least.

League average goaltending, PP, PK... Plus a few players not forgetting how to play hockey, like Klefbom and Lucic. Or injued like Sekera and forced to play gimped.

At the least people need to realize that as lucky as 2016/17 was 2017/18 was equally unlucky.

I'd "almost" be satisfied if the Oilers play average this year and miss by one point just to put things in proper perspective for those only citing the bad. This team is not bad, just not as good as it should be either. We are relying on growth from within, like the majority of every other team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with your assessment of Cam however something you seem to be missing is...

Cam wasn't just not great like Hasek or Kipper, he sucked balls. Big hairy balls. Talking couldn't stop a beachball level bad to start the first half of the season.

The Oilers dont need Vesna level Talbot to make the playoffs they need league average goaltending at least.

League average goaltending, PP, PK... Plus a few players not forgetting how to play hockey, like Klefbom and Lucic. Or injued like Sekera and forced to play gimped.

At the least people need to realize that as lucky as 2016/17 was 2017/18 was equally unlucky.

I'd "almost" be satisfied if the Oilers play average this year and miss by one point just to put things in proper perspective for those only citing the bad. This team is not bad, just not as good as it should be either. We are relying on growth from within, like the majority of every other team.

They would've missed the playoffs last year even with "average" goaltending, and part of the reason their goaltending isn't average is because the D is nothing great. It's not all on Cam.

.919 that he put up the year before is really more like .925+ on a team with a better D group.

The problem I have with this "well if this goes right and this goes right and this goes right" .... and what if McDavid gets hurt. Even for 5 games? That probably is enough to potentially kill the Oilers playoff hopes.

This team cannot weather any major injury, forget just McDavid, any kind of injury to Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, or Nurse could probably sink their season if they had to play with any of those guys for any length of time.

Oh and a bad start could also sink their season because it mentally rattles them.

This team is ridiculously fragile and weak mentally to be honest. One thing goes wrong and they fold like a cheap tent. Our so-called "veteran leader" collapsed so hard in the second half of the year and mentally it's a wonder he was even able to tie his skates properly by the time the season ended. He was a mental wreck. What kind of message does this send to the rest of the team when your "big time leader" is doing this?

What worries me about this team past just the fact that they're not very talented after the McDavid line is they don't handle adversity very well at all. It's a very thin team and if anything goes wrong, they "break" very easily and leave McDavid sitting on an island.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They're nothing special as a defensive group period, if you're being honest there are easily 4 or 5 better d-groups in the Oilers own division, let alone the league.

With the Oilers fielding a healthy group:

Vegas. No not even close.
Arizona heck no.
Canuks. Lol.

Calgary without Hamilton is basically the same or worse than us.

LA, SJS, and Anaheim have some of the best groups of defenseman in the league not just our division including 2 perennial Norris nominees.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
With the Oilers fielding a healthy group:

Vegas. No not even close.
Arizona heck no.
Canuks. Lol.

Calgary without Hamilton is basically the same or worse than us.

LA, SJS, and Anaheim have some of the best groups of defenseman in the league not just our division including 2 perennial Norris nominees.

I hate the Flames but Giordano is way better than anyone on our blue line, we are not the "same" as them, they have a legit no.1 guy plus similar depth past that.

LA/SJS/Anaheim are clearly better.

Arizona just on D strictly speaking might be closer than people think.

Vegas is a team people keep underestimating too.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They would've missed the playoffs last year even with "average" goaltending, and part of the reason their goaltending isn't average is because the D is nothing great. It's not all on Cam.

.919 that he put up the year before is really more like .925+ on a team with a better D group.

The problem I have with this "well if this goes right and this goes right and this goes right" .... and what if McDavid gets hurt. Even for 5 games? That probably is enough to potentially kill the Oilers playoff hopes.

This team cannot weather any major injury, forget just McDavid, any kind of injury to Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, or Nurse could probably sink their season if they had to play with any of those guys for any length of time.

Oh and a bad start could also sink their season because it mentally rattles them.

This team is ridiculously fragile and weak mentally to be honest. One thing goes wrong and they fold like a cheap tent. Our so-called "veteran leader" collapsed so hard in the second half of the year and mentally it's a wonder he was even able to tie his skates properly by the time the season ended. He was a mental wreck. What kind of message does this send to the rest of the team when your "big time leader" is doing this?

What worries me about this team past just the fact that they're not very talented after the McDavid line is they don't handle adversity very well at all. It's a very thin team and if anything goes wrong, they "break" very easily and leave McDavid sitting on an island.

I would agree about the mentally strong thing. Incredibly disappointed in Lucic. Never would have imagined he would give up like he did.

Disagree about talent.

Forwards with above average nhl "skill level": McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge way above. Lucic outside of last year typically is easily. Thats 4 of our top 6. Both Puliarvi and Yamamoto are chaulked full of top 6 talent based on thier pre nhl stats.

For bottom 6 guys Kassian, Strome, Kharia, Broziack, and Reider are all solid.

Larsson and Sekera when healthy are legit top 3 defenders. Very talented. Klefbom was for one year. Nurse is projecting as one...

Talbot was Vezna level for 80+ games in 2016.

Thats far more talent than your suggesting and honestly at least league average and at least a playoff team on paper.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hate the Flames but Giordano is way better than anyone on our blue line, we are not the "same" as them, they have a legit no.1 guy plus similar depth past that.

LA/SJS/Anaheim are clearly better.

Arizona just on D strictly speaking might be closer than people think.

Vegas is a team people keep underestimating too.

Giordano is a legit #1 but I disagree similiar beyond that. Hanafin has a ways to go before reaching Sekera level. No one on Calgary has the defensive chops of Larsson. The rest are a very overrated group that I personally dislike even ignoring the Flames factor.

Nurse and Klefbom even remotely play solid next year and the Flames "league best defense" will look like garbage in comparison. Although in fairness like I mentioned overall they are on par with us.

I like Arizona defense when they are healthy except OEL. Guy is pure garbage. I don't understand how every game I watch I see him bad to terrible defensively and only every once in awhile good to great offensively.

Vegas defense is garbage. Yes I am probably underestimating them but until they repeat thier domination I will continue to consider them garbage.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would agree about the mentally strong thing. Incredibly disappointed in Lucic. Never would have imagined he would give up like he did.

Disagree about talent.

Forwards with above average nhl "skill level": McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge way above. Lucic outside of last year typically is easily. Thats 4 of our top 6. Both Puliarvi and Yamamoto are chaulked full of top 6 talent based on thier pre nhl stats.

For bottom 6 guys Kassian, Strome, Kharia, Broziack, and Reider are all solid.

Larsson and Sekera when healthy are legit top 3 defenders. Very talented. Klefbom was for one year. Nurse is projecting as one...

Talbot was Vezna level for 80+ games in 2016.

Thats far more talent than your suggesting and honestly at least league average and at least a playoff team on paper.

Until this team has two scoring lines and can win a game without McDavid showing up on a semi regular basis they're not "talented". Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto, Winnipeg, yes, Oilers no.

One line alone with a bunch of question marks and maybes after that isn't talented by NHL standards.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Until this team has two scoring lines and can win a game without McDavid showing up on a semi regular basis they're not "talented". Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto, Winnipeg, yes, Oilers no.

One line alone with a bunch of question marks and maybes after that isn't talented by NHL standards.

I think the team is good enough to win witgout mcdavid.

Yamo or marody need a cup of coffee anyways.

They are pretty deep imo.

Reactions: Aerchon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad