Votes: 35 11.9%

Votes: 43 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
So there is a Chia appreciation thread, and a fire Chia thread. Also there was this thread about how the silent majority supports him. So let's just make this an anonymous poll. How do people actually feel. pretty simple, from 1-10 how do you rate his job. 10 would be the best GM in the league over his span here. 5 would be average. 1 would be the worst GM in the NHL over his time in charge of the oilers.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
He walked in to one of the best situations you could ever ask for. Generational player, superstar player, high draft picks and no bad contracts on his hand. in a span of 2 years he turned everything upside down. they should fire his bald *** before he possibly trades RNH for peanuts.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He walked in to one of the best situations you could ever ask for. Generational player, superstar player, high draft picks and no bad contracts on his hand. in a span of 2 years he turned everything upside down. they should fire his bald *** before he possibly trades RNH for peanuts.

Ya, funny thing is you have guys who argue that he turned it around....... what? We were destine to get better. Chia walked into a GM's dream. McD, tons of picks, Drai, ect. Yet he has set us back so far.

Reactions: Tom Brady

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The only reason I gave him a 2 instead of a 1 is his drafting and development and that's far from a confirmed improvement right now.

Fair enough. I considered a 2 as well, but really we have no idea bout drafting and development yet, so 1 it was.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I don't know how people are saying he is the worst GM in the league. Marc Bergevin takes that title and it's not even close. Not saying he has been good by any means, but Bergevin has butchered the Canadians far more than Chia has to the Oilers.

He shipped out Subban, Sergachev and Galchenyuk and got Weber Domi and Drouin in return. Every single one of those trades is a clear loss.

Made an absolute mess of the Radulov situation, and signed Alzner to a horrible contract.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
I think saying he walked in to the best possible situation is overstating a bit. Zero goalie or defensive depth throughout the organization, no prospect forward depth, no prospect development in general, a carousel of coaches and a terrible culture festering for years that tainted practically every player he inherited.

Hall was no league MVP when he was here, great player no doubt, but that trade turned his life and career around in a big way. At least we got a good NHL player at a highly coveted and important position, at the perfect age with lots of term on a great contract back.

The Reinhart trade was way worse, if we had drafted Barzal and Beauvillier no one would be talking about Hall and Eberle because they would fill their roster spots and give us those overperforming ELC contracts we so desperately need.

Schultz and Yakupov are just sad stories but cant blame PC for that.

Going hard in free agency is not an efficient way to build a contender, but the lack of depth throughout the organization after it's prized picks forced this kind of action if we wanted to see the playoffs any time soon. Sekera was a good signing until the injury, a bit of bad luck rather than bad judgment, Lucic was horrific, Russell doesn't have a great contract but has been a solid pickup.

Trading away Hall and Eberle + the Lucic disaster + the aforementioned lack of drafting and development has led our winger core to be likely worst in the league but at least it's the least coveted and important position.

Backup goalie hasn't been handled well either but at least we finally have some depth at goalie throughout the organization for the first time in forever.

Defence has been completely transformed from worst in the league to middle of the pack with good prospects bubbling under. A much better balance between RH/LH as well.

Top drawer center depth was gifted to him, but it hasn't been squandered, and has been added to with some nice pickups in Letestu and Strome.

Really I think the Reinhart trade is by far the worst and that's a fireable offence. Also not sure Chiarelli was really the one who thought up that trade? Otherwise the rest of his tenure seems fairly average.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm not 100% convinced Chia is the worst GM in the league, without the benefit of hindsight, though I feel fairly secure in saying he is one of the 3 worst GM's in the league, which to me puts him at a 2.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
He shipped out Subban, Sergachev and Galchenyuk and got Weber Domi and Drouin in return. Every single one of those trades is a clear loss.

Made an absolute mess of the Radulov situation, and signed Alzner to a horrible contract.

Hall, Barzal, Eberle for Strome, Larsson, Reinhart is worse than Montreal's big 3 moves. Lucic's contract is arguably worse than Alzner's and we haven't even gotten into the 10 million dollar 3rd pairing he's assembled.

On the plus side the draft picks seem better but it's early to make judgements on that front. There's zero question that he's been the worst GM in the NHL and perhaps pro sports during his time here. When he took over he inherited a blank canvas with a generational player. There were no crippling contracts and his cap situation was golden. There was no goaltending and the blueline needed improvement but both of those issues are still arguably there though I'm more sold on Talbot than most. Anyways, if 1 is the worst GM in hockey I don't see how it's not a unanimous 1.

Reactions: Summary

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I find it amusing that the guy who was Craig Mactavish’s biggest supporter when he was hired as GM, saying it was one of the smartest decisions the club has ever made is so active in these threads criticizing another GM.

Reactions: Dorian2 and Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He came into the worst management group in the nhl. Worst coach, worst GM, worst president of hockey, terrible owner, worst defense, worst locker room, worst team, worst organization...

In 2 short years had us within one goal that should have been disallowed for the conference finals. Got nominated for best GM in the league...

There have absolutely been some questionable moves but overall health has improved the team significantly. Watching the team last year was still more enjoyable than the vast majority of previous 11.

If you look at individual components too closely you lose sight of the improvementseason he has made for the organization.

I don't believe many could have done better under the circumstances.

Reactions: Ck1

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Obtaining useful player like Maroon turns the 1 into a 2.

I do not think he is good at all, his BIGGEST fault though is the same fault that the rest of the organization seems to have. Listening to the people who have proven time and time again they have zero clue.

If things do not go well he will be the fall guy but the next guy they bring in will have to deal with the same entrenched clowns.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There's absolutely no question he's the worst GM in the NHL from the period of 2015-2018. He traded a league MVP for an above average player and a rookie of the year for a non NHLer.

The Oilers actually had signed a player who won the Calder Trophy yet never played for the Oilers?

Surely you aren't referring to Barzal. Barzal was NEVER AN OILER.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
It scares me, but I honestly like how aggressive Chia is. I can acknowledge that he has done some good things and made some good moves...but the bad ones are crippling...and he overpays everyone Lol. I gave him a 3

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I gave him a 3/10 because it appears that our drafting is better under him and Gretz. He has also done fairly well in regards to smaller trades.
However, this does not overcome some of the terrible "high profile" trades he has made (Reinhart trade, Hall trade, Eberle trade). Also, any cap space he had was wasted on Lucic and Russell et al. There is your 10+ million in cap space.

Reactions: Summary

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t think hes done a good job overall but honestly its hard to know how much fault is his. I think ownership and OBC have meddled in affairs quite a bit, in the past.

Hes done a better job drafting and filling out amateur depth through signings and drafting.

Hes lost too many trades and hes a poor negotiator.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

This is the most bizarre spin on the truth i could ever imagine.

He came into an organization run by clowns for a decade.

A team that was literally getting worse with every first overall it got.

I have no doubt based on previous track record that the Oilers, if they did not bring in Chiarelli, would absolutely have ruined McDavid.

And as good as McDavid is. This is not the NBA a generationalso superstar does not guarantee wins, playoffs, or cups. He is only on the ice for 1/3 the game and even then needs everyone else still doing thier jobs.

With the parity of today's NHL only a complete moron would believe McDavid be a successful team by himself without a great organization around him.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
After the first season most would of gave him a 8,Todd Mac, Maroon and Talbot got rid of some trash, we were much more excited thinking we could be a team battling for a playoff spot.

After the 2nd year, most would of gave him a 10. Playoffs, had a 103 point season. Everything went right.

Before the start of the 3rd year, people knew this team had a few holes, Chia decided to build internally, which some understood why, and some thought we should go for it (which is what not to do), locked up 2 franchise players to max deals, grade IMO a 7. Everything went wrong with the team, Coaching, Talbot, defense, forwards. Now this board over reacts to everything, everyone wants to give him a grade 1 or 0. Still should of got a 5 for sure, so average for the season a 6.

My math of adding 8 + 10+ 6 / 3 is a 8 over all.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I have no doubt based on previous track record that the Oilers, if they did not bring in Chiarelli, would absolutely have ruined McDavid.

And as good as McDavid is. This is not the NBA a generationalso superstar does not guarantee wins, playoffs, or cups. He is only on the ice for 1/3 the game and even then needs everyone else still doing thier jobs.

With the parity of today's NHL only a complete moron would believe McDavid be a successful team by himself without a great organization around him.

2 really well said posts by this guy in this thread. Cheers man.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
After the first season most would of gave him a 8,Todd Mac, Maroon and Talbot got rid of some trash, we were much more excited thinking we could be a team battling for a playoff spot.

After the 2nd year, most would of gave him a 10. Playoffs, had a 103 point season. Everything went right.

Before the start of the 3rd year, people knew this team had a few holes, Chia decided to build internally, which some understood why, and some thought we should go for it (which is what not to do), locked up 2 franchise players to max deals, grade IMO a 7. Everything went wrong with the team, Coaching, Talbot, defense, forwards. Now this board over reacts to everything, everyone wants to give him a grade 1 or 0. Still should of got a 5 for sure, so average for the season a 6.

My math of adding 8 + 10+ 6 / 3 is a 8 over all.
This won't go over well

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

thank god we made the playoffs in the offseason before McDavid signed. For all of Chia's moves, he at least made the ones that gave us the playoffs that year, and if we had waited for better trades or whatever, and missed the playoffs, I think McDavid would have started thinking about his options, and perhaps would have put off re-signing to this summer. I voted 5, just because it is a stand-in score for a job not yet done, with many bad moves and good moves, and inconsistent results on the ice. He did a very good job of feeling holes that NEEDED to be filled, but there are other moves he failed to do.

Reactions: Aerchon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad