Votes: 35 11.9%

Votes: 43 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Before the start of the 3rd year, people knew this team had a few holes, Chia decided to build internally, which some understood why, and some thought we should go for it (which is what not to do), locked up 2 franchise players to max deals, grade IMO a 7. Everything went wrong with the team, Coaching, Talbot, defense, forwards. Now this board over reacts to everything, everyone wants to give him a grade 1 or 0. Still should of got a 5 for sure, so average for the season a 6.

My math of adding 8 + 10+ 6 / 3 is a 8 over all.

I agree with you in general, but just feel there is a little bit of grade inflation.

Year 1 was a 7. I think attempts to have 'that talk' with Hall could have been had, but for whatever reason weren't successful.

Year 2 was a 9. Very good regular season and winning a round of the playoffs are excellent, but not outstanding. Just saying a 10 is by definition a perfect grade.

Year 3 was a 5. The defence was going to be an issue with the Sekera injury. The big quesion mark is Klefa's injury and what the team knew. Biggest reason for the low grade was the failure to address backup goalie. I get they gambled on Brossoit, but that gamble failed. Add those all up and that amounts to the 5.

My math: (7+9+5)/3 = 7

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How about we wait 2 more days to see what he does on July01. Right now he gets a 5 from me.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Hall, Barzal, Eberle for Strome, Larsson, Reinhart is worse than Montreal's big 3 moves. Lucic's contract is arguably worse than Alzner's and we haven't even gotten into the 10 million dollar 3rd pairing he's assembled.

On the plus side the draft picks seem better but it's early to make judgements on that front. There's zero question that he's been the worst GM in the NHL and perhaps pro sports during his time here. When he took over he inherited a blank canvas with a generational player. There were no crippling contracts and his cap situation was golden. There was no goaltending and the blueline needed improvement but both of those issues are still arguably there though I'm more sold on Talbot than most. Anyways, if 1 is the worst GM in hockey I don't see how it's not a unanimous 1.

The Barzal thing is getting quite old. Mostly because it has absolutely no merit. It was well known that we weren't going to be taking him with that pick anyways. Guys just using it now to feed the fire.

Secondly, it's pretty obvious there was a huge amount of pressure from the Oilers org to acquire Reinhart. They had a hard on for the dude for ages. I don't even blame Chia for that deal.

MTLs gong show was much worse. Especially the Radulov situation. They f***ed that up about as bad as you can, and lost an excellent forward for absolutely no reason.

I take Lucics contract over Alzners any day. Alzner is a pylon. A poor man's Russell. And he's getting paid nearly 5 million long term. It's easy to justify the argument though after a guy has come off easily the worst season of his career. At least Lucic has been good for the large majority of it. Alzner is meh in every single way.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Obtaining useful player like Maroon turns the 1 into a 2.

I do not think he is good at all, his BIGGEST fault though is the same fault that the rest of the organization seems to have. Listening to the people who have proven time and time again they have zero clue.

If things do not go well he will be the fall guy but the next guy they bring in will have to deal with the same entrenched clowns.
I suspect the next guy brought in is already here. It’s going to be difficult convincing somebody outside the organization that they’ll have the autonomy to do their job properly when there’s been so many questions as to whether Chiarelli had that.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd say drafting and development have improved which are the biggest things IMO.
I'll try and get fancy here...

Drafting - 8 - It's hard to gauge drafting since it's a real crapshoot regardless but Chia seems to have a much more complete stable than in years past. There is a good complement of skill and experience throughout all positions despite the fact that he hasn't had that many picks. I'm not sure what more you can expect.
Development - 7 - Another thing that is hard to gauge as injuries have sidelined a lot of guys. Klefbom is a concern....as is JP and to some extent Drai. But on the plus side a lot of their junior guys took steps which is more a credit to their junior clubs and to them....but still Oilers get to take some credit. Yamamoto, Khaira, Caggiula, Benning, Bear are seemingly well positioned to start to establish NHL careers. It also seems like there s better "depth" to insulate new guys coming in. Moving RNH to wing and Drai to center might apply here as well if that works out.
Asset Management - 5 - Mainly the Reinhart deal sewers him. You could tell he didnt like it either.The Hall deal was bad right away....despite them really needing Larsson to build a team.....you knew that trade would look bad.....at least get a future to help the visual. You'd put this at 1 if not for the seemingly good finds in college, european and amateur FA; Mantha, Hebig, Benning, Caggiula, Persson, Larkin, Vesey, Koskinen etc.
Media Relations - 6 - It's probably the least important....but still pretty meh. He is sort of accountable if you can find him. Doesn't stick up for the team that much but I guess tries to stay neutral.
Staffing - 7 - Coaching was a big concern last year and I'm not sure he dealt with it in a "timely manner"....IMO he addressed it well and tried to fix a weakness. His scouting staff seems like a real strength. I don't know a lot about the rest of the guys.

Total Rating; 6.6

But really I wouldn't think all these should be weighted equally. But seems about right......somewhere in the C+ to B area.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Three trades - all worse than anything any of his immediate predecessors did.
All in the running for worst trade in the NHL over the span of his tenure.

Overpays to star players. Overpays to middling players. Overpays to marginal players.

Handfuls of NMCs given to players who already got overpaid on $ and term.

Ignores gaping holes on roster like back up goalie, decent defensemen.

Buys out players that have no need of being bought out wasting even more of the dwindling cap space.

Deserves a three. But then he dropped the f-word on TV so I'll raise him up to a seven.

Reactions: Beerfish and Skar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd say drafting and development have improved which are the biggest things IMO.
I'll try and get fancy here...

Drafting - 8 - It's hard to gauge drafting since it's a real crapshoot regardless but Chia seems to have a much more complete stable than in years past. There is a good complement of skill and experience throughout all positions despite the fact that he hasn't had that many picks. I'm not sure what more you can expect.
Development - 7 - Another thing that is hard to gauge as injuries have sidelined a lot of guys. Klefbom is a concern....as is JP and to some extent Drai. But on the plus side a lot of their junior guys took steps which is more a credit to their junior clubs and to them....but still Oilers get to take some credit. Yamamoto, Khaira, Caggiula, Benning, Bear are seemingly well positioned to start to establish NHL careers. It also seems like there s better "depth" to insulate new guys coming in. Moving RNH to wing and Drai to center might apply here as well if that works out.
Asset Management
- 5 - Mainly the Reinhart deal sewers him. You could tell he didnt like it either.The Hall deal was bad right away....despite them really needing Larsson to build a team.....you knew that trade would look bad.....at least get a future to help the visual. You'd put this at 1 if not for the seemingly good finds in college, european and amateur FA; Mantha, Hebig, Benning, Caggiula, Persson, Larkin, Vesey, Koskinen etc.
Media Relations - 6 - It's probably the least important....but still pretty meh. He is sort of accountable if you can find him. Doesn't stick up for the team that much but I guess tries to stay neutral.
Staffing - 7 - Coaching was a big concern last year and I'm not sure he dealt with it in a "timely manner"....IMO he addressed it well and tried to fix a weakness. His scouting staff seems like a real strength. I don't know a lot about the rest of the guys.

Total Rating; 6.6

But really I wouldn't think all these should be weighted equally. But seems about right......somewhere in the C+ to B area.

I think you're being far too generous with drafting/developing. We've seen promising returns at the pro level on exactly 1 of Chia's picks. And that was McDavid. Pulju looks like an abject failure so far.

Last season was the first year where we saw his later draft picks play pro. Jones, who everyone said was our best D prospect last summer, was awful in the AHL. Even Bear had a fairly underwhelming rookie year in the AHL. And he sucked in the NHL.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
In relation to his draft position I don't think so. He's far closer to being a bust than he is a legit contributor in the NHL.
He was the obvious choice at 4.
Bouchard has just as much bust potential as Puljujarvi. Could turn out well (Ryan Whitney) but could just be a bigger slower MAB.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well let's see.... We just missed the playoffs by 17 points with the best player on the planet and we're looking to upgrade on a mediocre roster and have no cap space to do it....

Boston warned us about Chiarelli's inability to manage a salary cap and we're seeing it for ourselves. A cap strapped mediocre team.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Way too harsh on the kid.
Not that I think Chiarelli is some kind of draft wizard, but this comment is not fair imo.

We are in agreement.

You replied to someone calling Pulju an abject failure, which is way over the top. Then again when someone calls a 20-year old an abject failure their bias is pretty clear.

This coming season will be the true point at which such harsh reactions can be thrown around, but coming out with that now shows that whoever posted that just can't look at things reasonably in any way shape or form.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was the obvious choice at 4.
Bouchard has just as much bust potential as Puljujarvi. Could turn out well (Ryan Whitney) but could just be a bigger slower MAB.
Well if its not an issue of drafting, it's an issue with development. It's a problem with one or the other, if not both. A 7/8 for both of them seems a bit much. At very best both categories should be a TBD. The very early results at the pro level are less than encouraging.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well if its not an issue of drafting, it's an issue with development. It's a problem with one or the other, if not both. A 7/8 for both of them seems a bit much. At very best both categories should be a TBD. The very early results at the pro level are less than encouraging.
Drafting doesn't mean anything if you can't develop. And there's no real signs that it's significantly better than it has been.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I agree with you in general, but just feel there is a little bit of grade inflation.

Year 1 was a 7. I think attempts to have 'that talk' with Hall could have been had, but for whatever reason weren't successful.

Year 2 was a 9. Very good regular season and winning a round of the playoffs are excellent, but not outstanding. Just saying a 10 is by definition a perfect grade.

Year 3 was a 5. The defence was going to be an issue with the Sekera injury. The big quesion mark is Klefa's injury and what the team knew. Biggest reason for the low grade was the failure to address backup goalie. I get they gambled on Brossoit, but that gamble failed. Add those all up and that amounts to the 5.

My math: (7+9+5)/3 = 7
5 isn't a low grade it is smack dab right in the middle of the spectrum, 5 means you think he performed as would your average GM. Last year was closer to the Hindenburg than it was to average.

Here's a good template for reviewing some of the decisions he made that season & off-season-
2017–18 Edmonton Oilers season - Wikipedia

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
5 isn't a low grade it is smack dab right in the middle of the spectrum, 5 means you think he performed as would your average GM. Last year was closer to the Hindenburg than it was to average.

That's an interesting analysis of the grades. ~40% of the people replying to the poll gave Chia a 5 or better. Not sure if that's the same percentage of people here who don't think that Chia should be fired. If it is, then the fire Chia crowd is disproporti0nately active in their posting and very vocal in their opposition to his continued employment with the Oilers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's an interesting analysis of the grades. ~40% of the people replying to the poll gave Chia a 5 or better. Not sure if that's the same percentage of people here who don't think that Chia should be fired. If it is, then the fire Chia crowd is disproporti0nately active in their posting and very vocal in their opposition to his continued employment with the Oilers.
I gave him a 5 because he has done some good and got us to playoffs once but then made the roster worse, f***ed our cap and lost tons of value. I still think he should be fired. A 5 is not good enough of a GM.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I gave him a 5 because he has done some good and got us to playoffs once but then made the roster worse, ****ed our cap and lost tons of value. I still think he should be fired. A 5 is not good enough of a GM.

Since BB said 5 was an average grade for a GM do you agree that most of the GMs in the league should be fired every off-season? At least half?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It is natural to hear negative comments more because fans come here to vent.
Its the same with post game radio shows. A loss means more traffic.

Chia has done a lot of good and lot of bad.. every bad gets called out here but the good not so much.

The good: identified bad veteran group and had the balls to do something about it. The captain,fayne,Nikitn were sidelined for Nurse/Klefa/Marincin.
Identified lack of grit and addressed it by adding Lucic,Kassian,Larsson ,Maroon.
Addressed bad scouting and sp team coaching.
A GM cant do much re drop in play of Larsson,Talbot and Lucic but he should have brought in help on D knowing Sekera was going to be out for months.
Banking on Benning/Caggiula and Pulju was his biggest mistake

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Since BB said 5 was an average grade for a GM do you agree that most of the GMs in the league should be fired every off-season? At least half?
Id say he was a 5 overall.

First year a 5, second year an 8, third a 2. Another bad year and yeah, let him go. Most GM's have one average year. Most don't have 2s

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think you're being far too generous with drafting/developing. We've seen promising returns at the pro level on exactly 1 of Chia's picks. And that was McDavid. Pulju looks like an abject failure so far.

Last season was the first year where we saw his later draft picks play pro. Jones, who everyone said was our best D prospect last summer, was awful in the AHL. Even Bear had a fairly underwhelming rookie year in the AHL. And he sucked in the NHL.

yeah maybe. But I think 2 or 3 players/year is good for a gm. Probably really good. Chia isn't quite there but closer now then when he got here.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Id say he was a 5 overall.

First year a 5, second year an 8, third a 2. Another bad year and yeah, let him go. Most GM's have one average year. Most don't have 2s

I think everyone is in agreement that one more bad year and Chia has to go.

The fire Chia crowd is upset that he is still employed and won't abide by anything he does this season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think everyone is in agreement that one more bad year and Chia has to go.

The fire Chia crowd is upset that he is still employed and won't abide by anything he does this season.
Imo this is Chia's last year cause he has done nothing to actually fix this roster and I don't think there is anything he can do, he got himself in this less and I don't see a way out for him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It is natural to hear negative comments more because fans come here to vent.
Its the same with post game radio shows. A loss means more traffic.

Chia has done a lot of good and lot of bad.. every bad gets called out here but the good not so much.

Great post. I see this thread morphing into a realistic evaluation of Chia. The #fireCHIA thread is where the real venting should go. Fair enough for it to be posted here. The fire Chia crowd trying to highjack that thread was just sad.

The good: identified bad veteran group and had the balls to do something about it. The captain,fayne,Nikitn were sidelined for Nurse/Klefa/Marincin.
Identified lack of grit and addressed it by adding Lucic,Kassian,Larsson ,Maroon.
Addressed bad scouting and sp team coaching.
A GM cant do much re drop in play of Larsson,Talbot and Lucic but he should have brought in help on D knowing Sekera was going to be out for months.
Banking on Benning/Caggiula and Pulju was his biggest mistake

The problems with defence is really easy to see with hindsight. Still tough to know about where Klefa was at the start of the season health wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad